Help - Search - Member List - Calendar
Full Version: We're Gonna Start With A Snake!
Collector Zone > TCC Features > Contests and Giveaways
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37, 38, 39, 40, 41, 42, 43, 44, 45, 46, 47, 48, 49, 50, 51, 52, 53, 54, 55, 56, 57, 58, 59, 60, 61, 62, 63, 64, 65, 66, 67, 68, 69, 70, 71, 72, 73, 74, 75, 76, 77, 78, 79, 80, 81, 82, 83, 84, 85, 86, 87, 88, 89, 90, 91, 92, 93, 94, 95, 96, 97, 98, 99, 100, 101, 102, 103, 104, 105, 106, 107, 108, 109, 110, 111, 112, 113, 114, 115, 116, 117, 118, 119, 120, 121, 122, 123, 124
sportscollectoroz
A while back, I had the idea of putting together a promotional video for TCC that would be uploaded to video hosting websites like YouTube and Vimeo. For reasons beyond my control, the most progress I made in that project was accumulating photo submissions.

Since members have expressed concerns for how activity has dropped, how about we exercise our creative juices in an attempt to rejuvenate the hobby?

The contest can be broken down in multiple ways, but the main focus is to look at the hobby in a positive light.

Some Topics:

1. Why join TradingCardCentral.com?

2. Hobby Tips
----- Proper Storage and Care
----- Proper Shipping
----- Precautions When Buying/Selling Online
----- Organizing and Keeping Track of Your Collection

3. "Trail Mix"
----- A Collection of Iconic Cards
----- Card Designs: The Good and The Bad
----- A Collection of Cards with an Interesting or Funny Graphic
----- Great Cards of the Greatest Draft Busts
----- Through the Years (A look at a brand from its inaugural year to present)

Some Mediums:

1. Videos
2. Songs
3. PowerPoint Presentations
4. Graphic Design
5. Updated Blog

Of course, these are just a few of the many possibilities.

The entries will be primarily judged on relevance, content, innovation and appeal.

Oz
Icrackwax
I would like to create a contest that absolutely every member that has 5-10 minutes of spare time can join. So here it does.

Over the years, I'm sure many of us sports fans have met players in person for autographs, etc. So this contest is super simple. Describe your most memorable experience of meeting a player in person. What player did you meet? When/where did you meet them? Was the experience good or bad? What made it memorable?

Now, I know there may be some members of this forum that have never met a player in person. If that is the case, what player would you like to meet and why?

Your answer can be a few sentences or a full page. It doesn't matter. The point of this contest is to share your stories with others and for everyone to be included if they wish to be.

The winner will be chosen via random.org. This will give everybody a fair chance of winning no matter how good your stories and/or writing skills are. This will also allow everybody to have fun and not be worried about having the best entry.

Thank you so much for the contest Richard and Shawn!!
RGBII
We still have a few more hours to accept
entries into this contest. We have 9 contestants vying
for 25 pounds of Baseball cards.

joe31

meltdown16

cbware88

msw sportscards

rtsjr

pspstatus

braves4life1025

sportscollectoroz

Icrackwax

rtsjr had two submissions, I went with the first as
his entry due to fairness to the other contestants.

Pretty sad turn out here, folks. I'd really like to keep this
thread going but with participation at this level, my
interest is rather limited.

Collect Hard!,
RGBII
RGBII
Shawn (sasports) and I will dialogue and
announce a winner sometime tomorrow evening.

He is seven hours ahead of us so communication
can be sporadic.

Thanks to the nine contestants.

Collect Hard!,
RGBII
sasports
While we work out the details of the winner.....I have a little somthing to say.

WHY?

Let me explain:

Who has seen "Anacondas: Hunt for the Blood Orchid". Great movie! Anways, to recap the movie, there are some GINORMOUS Snakes that eat people whole because of the Blood Orchid being a "fountain of youth".

Well YOU, the members of TCC, are this snakes blood orchid! If you want the snake to keep slithering, you will have to participate more! Richard and I are racking our brains trying to come up with something that will increase participation but it isn't working! I mean, come on, Really? HE GAVE AWAY A ROGER HORNSBY!

We need more participation! Start telling your friends! I mean, who dosent like free stuff! ALL YOU HAVE TO DO IS POST SOMTHING! Its not that hard! Lets get off our fourth point of Contact (look it up for you youngsters that dont know what that is) and get this site back running full force!

This "Snake" thread and TCC depends on you!
rtsjr
agree seems same one are the only ones to enter great prizes are given away in this thread.
Icrackwax
It's so sad that this thread isn't more lively. I remember a couple of years ago this was the biggest thread on the whole site.

I hope we can somehow restore its glory!
captkirk42
QUOTE(Icrackwax @ May 2 2011, 10:23 PM)
It's so sad that this thread isn't more lively. I remember a couple of years ago this was the biggest thread on the whole site.

I hope we can somehow restore its glory!

Quick shed it's skin and milk it's fangs. That should help.
RGBII
After some back and forth on the contest
ideas, Shawn and I came to this conclusion . . .

These were the two that stood out.

cbware88

sportscollectoroz

Due to the ease for all members to get
involved, we chose cbware88's contest
idea as the winner.

Thanks to all of you that did take the time
and effort to send entries. We appreciate
your participation.

25 lbs. of cards await you, Mr. Ware!

Collect Hard!,
RGBII
rtsjr
some day i will win something in this
cbware88
QUOTE(RGBII @ May 5 2011, 05:50 PM)

AWESOME!!!!!! I can't wait to get my 25lbs of pure heaven on a cardboard!! biggrin.gif biggrin.gif
sasports
Ladies and Gentlemen,

I will be coming home soon (VERY SOON). When I get back to the states, I plan on starting up the Donation Drive again!

For those of you who are too lazy to read back through all 306 pages ( laugh.gif ) this is what I mean. Richard and I accept donations of your Autos, Game Used, Serial Numbered, and Rookies and we host several smaller contests using them as prizes. Meanwhile, we have a MONSTER contest going that takes some time and give away somthing nice! I am thinking somthing along the lines of an unopened box? ohmy.gif

So start putting your stuff together that you want to dontate and once I return I will start accepting them. Richard will be sitting on the sidelines for this one as he ALWAYS puts way more into this than I do!

Its my turn now! biggrin.gif
sasports
As for the donated prizes, I will be making a meticulous list of each and every "prize" that is sent and they will ALL find their way into somone elses collection!

There will be a "Grand Prize" and "Second Place Prize" awarded to lucky members that donate. The prize winners will be selected by Random.org after we recieve enough prizes!
captkirk42
Shawn,

That sounds cool. I've got some GUs and maybe some other stuff I can donate to the cause.
sasports
I will be home in less than a week! Start thinking about what (if any) you would like to donate to this contest!
rtsjr
have some stuff to send in
sasports
Looks like i may be home tommorow! Start getting ready!
mhall7777
QUOTE(sasports @ Jun 18 2011, 05:05 AM)
Looks like i may be home tommorow!  Start getting ready!

Good to see ya home! How long was the deployment? Working the recruiting front here in Ohio and am slowly getting back into the collecting game again.
RGBII
It's Alive!

Thank you, Sasquatch! (sasports/Shawn)

Welcome home and I hope this thing
comes back strong.

Collect Hard!,
RGBII
rtsjr
lmk want stuff pm where to send to
rtsjr
lmk when this starts up
WestCoastSkinsFan
Pretty cool idea! Let me know when this gets moving, and I'll gladly donate a nice variety of things.
rtsjr
is this dead?????
rtsjr
snake seems to have died sad.gif
rtsjr
think the snake died
sasports
Ok everyone! I am back and in full action! We are going to get this up and going!

We are going to do a Main Contest with several background contests! The overall contest is going to be announced at a time chosen by me. I will start accepting donations for the final prizes immediatley. Please dont send anythign that you wouldnt want to recieve as a prize! I will be adding some of my own cards to the prize pool. All prizes will be cataloged and separated out into prize lots for a 1st, 2nd, and 3rd prize package.

PM me if you would like to donate.

Now for the first contest:

I to see your best card that you recieved as a gift for Christmas, Birthday, or just an everyday gift. I want to see a picture of it and want to hear the story behind it! Hint: A one liner probably wont win!

I will pic the top 5 stories and put it to a vote with the rest of the site! The person with the most votes will recieve an Auto/GameUsed/Rookie/Insert lot of there favorite team and players!

The runner up will recieve a lot of their favorite team as well, but it will be smaller with either 1 Auto or Game Used and some rookies and inserts.

I will accomadate your teams and wants to the best of my ability but if I dont have your favorite teams, I will substitute at my descretion.

I will leave this up until I have 10 entries! Lets get the snake back in action!
sasports
Day 1 and still not even a reply? Whats going on here! This is free stuff! Come on! All you have to do is post a pic of a card you recieved as a gift with the story behind it! The card dosent have to be expensive!
WestCoastSkinsFan
Well, let's start things off...

user posted image

Unfortunately, I no longer have this card, but this Tomlinson/McFadden dual auto was my first auto of either player, and I received this on Valentine's day of 09. My now fiancee had a box of 2008 SP Authentic waiting for me when we returned home from a date night. This was the hit of the box by far, and I remember that she opened the box with me and pulled this one herself.

One really awesome thing about our relationship is that we really get involved in the likes/hobbies of the other. She knew how much I loved this particular set, so she got a box, and hid it away for a gift-giving day. AND when she pulled the card, she knew enough about card collecting to know why it was such a good card (who the players were, dual auto, the low numbering, etc). Heck, she's even been a guest breaker in our monthly group break from time to time, as long-time members of the break can attest to.
sasports
Very nice! And a great example of what I am looking for in this contest! Lets get more entries!
rtsjr
user posted image

well i do have this card and will never get rid of it. over the summer while on vacation stoped at a card storecard thought about buying it never went back to shop ,well few months later its out wedding annivery 20th and wife bought me a steelers ring and then in box was this, the card was looking at

playoff jerome bettis auto

was shocked wife knows jerome is all time favorite
proGr@m217
user posted image

there's no doubt about it.

this is the best card in my collection.

i traded a lot for it, but have no regrets. now, that's a card worth keeping.

sasports
QUOTE(proGr@m217 @ Dec 20 2011, 09:45 PM)
user posted image

there's no doubt about it.

this is the best card in my collection.

i traded a lot for it, but have no regrets. now, that's a card worth keeping.

Nice card, but go back and read the rules. This card does not qualify as an entry
proGr@m217
this has been given to by TCC, and it's been with me since.
WestCoastSkinsFan
C'mon guys. We just had the holiday season so there must be some other awesome gifts out there you'd love to show off. Let's not let this one die!
sasports
alright ladies and gentlemen! What is going on? Where are all of my entries? Lets get this going!

And I still havent had a single donation made! Very dissapointing
Adamsharpe
I think you should start it again in the main thread because a lot of people don't read all the way through a post and many people just look for newer things. They might not even know there is a new contest going on. Just a thought. Hope it helps. I like the idea about the story and the best card. As soon as I can scan mine I'll put it up.

-tHEadamsharpe-
RGBII
I just got off of the phone with Shawn concerning
my desire to fire up this site and this thread with
a new contest.

We'll have the particulars by tomorrow evening.
The prize(s) will be well worth your efforts and I
for one look forward to the responses and breathing
new life into the "Snake" thread.

Stay tuned!

Collect Hard!,
RGBII
rtsjr
have not been on in some time and this thread just is dead sad.gif sad.gif sad.gif sad.gif
booth9919
Let's get this thread going again!!! I will think of a contest in the next few days!
sasports
This thread is what really got me started on TCC. Myself and Mr. Bostic (RGBII) had a blast making this thread and even more fun giving away all of our freebies. I think it is time to Revive the Snake!

NEW CONTEST!!!!!!

Prize: $10.00 Paypal Gift!

I want to hear about your most memorable moments on TCC! Tell me a short story that pertains to a Gift, Freebie, or any act of kindness from another TCC member!

Pictures are not required for this contest but much appreciated!

Contest will run until I receive 15 entries or until we stop getting entries for an extended period of time (if we only have 10 and not getting entries, etc)

I will pick my favorite 5 stories and post a poll for members to choose the best!

I will start off with a story (obviously not an eligible entry):

After my second deployment to Iraq, when I first found this site, I befriended my co-host of this thread. We started the Nasty Combat Helmet drawings and other funny and memorable contests. Richard and I talked almost daily while I was deployed and he helped me keep my sanity. Many times we would talk about everything BUT sports cards. Knowing what I had been dealing with both in Iraq and back home with my now ex-wife, Richard did something that completely surprised me!

When I returned home I found a GIANT box delivered by UPS sitting in my house from Richard. As I dug through the boxes contents (mostly packing material) I finally found in the very center a very expensive bottle of my favorite adult beverage! I know it may not sound like much to some, but to me it meant the world!

msw_sportscards
He's back ! Nasty Helmet Man is back! That RGB, he's an alright guy. For a democrat.
msw_sportscards
My favorite story derives from this very thread and RGB as well. I edged out aceecards in anessay contest, by a slim margin. As a result, Richard sent me a 1933 Goudey Rogers Hornsby. It was a bit beat up, but the prettiest thing I've ever seen. It inspired me to be moregenerous with the members on this site and indirectly to the creation if The Chain. I returned about a month ago after about a 2 year vacation from the hobby. My contest.thread Let's Start.with a Cousin is.an homage to this very thread. I have learned to not worry so much about making a.buck through the hobby, but rather promote it. That is due in part to Richard's influence on me.
sasports
And we have our first entry!

msw_sportscards - Roger Hornsby from RGBII
http://www.tradingcardcentral.com/forums/i...dpost&p=2771224

I remember the Hornsby! I was jealous over that one! Love the
sasports
QUOTE(msw_sportscards @ Jul 5 2014, 08:37 PM)
He's back ! Nasty Helmet Man is back! That RGB, he's an alright guy. For a democrat.

Glad to see someone remembers our flair for poetry!
sasports
Only one entry so far? Lets get some entries! This is free paypal!

msw sportscards- Hornsby from RGBII
bravesfan09
God iv had so many i wouldnt know where to start to pick. Back when this place was a rockin we all sent each other gifts, talked on the phone regularly, helped each other out.
sasports
QUOTE(bravesfan09 @ Jul 7 2014, 03:53 PM)
God iv had so many i wouldnt know where to start to pick. Back when this place was a rockin we all sent each other gifts, talked on the phone regularly, helped each other out.

Trying to get it back to its old Glory in its fullest! So please, by all means, share a story!
sasports
Still only one entry? I would really hate to have to give the prize to the ONLY entry so far. Lets get some entries! ITS FREE PAYPAL PEOPLE> WHAT DO YOU HAVE TO LOSE?
sasports
Anyone? Really?
msw_sportscards
Just give me the prize. These gutless wonders don't have what it takes to step up to my story anyway. Really??? We cry about getting this thread going again and this is the love you show it? Oh well.....$10 Paypal. Like taking candy from a baby....that is of course unless someone is man enough to challenge me. I say bring it.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.