Donruss Produces James Gandolfini's Rookie Card
Texas-based Donruss Trading Cards, a leading manufacturer of Major League Baseball
trading cards, today announced a groundbreaking partnership with Emmy award-winning
actor James Gandolfini, who stars as Tony Soprano on HBOs popular series
The agreement with Gandolfini headlines Donruss Fans of the Game program, a unique
component of the companys Major League Baseball trading card products that will feature
autographed cards and rookie cards from some of the most popular and passionate baseball
fans in the entertainment and athletic communities.
The first licensed trading cards of Gandolfini, a New Jersey native and diehard New York
Yankees devotee, will be available in packs of the Donruss Elite Baseball brand, which is
scheduled for a May 2004 release.
"James Gandolfini is an international superstar and his presence in our Fans of the
Game initiative lends an overwhelming sense of prestige to this program," said
Donruss president and COO Bill Dully. "Thanks to the participation of luminaries
like Gandolfini, Donruss Trading Cards will transcend the traditional sports collector base
and reach an entirely new mainstream audience."
Gandolfini will be accompanied in Donruss initial Fans of the Game offering by celebrated
athletes Freddy Adu (an international soccer star at the age of 14 with D.C. United of Major
League Soccer), Janet Evans (U.S. Olympic swimmer and four-time gold medalist), Brandi Chastain
(a key member of the 1996 U.S. Womens gold-medal-winning soccer team) and Summer Sanders
(U.S. Olympic swimmer and four-time medal winner).
All five superstars will be featured on standard Donruss trading cards as well as on autographed
cards, and linked with their respective favorite Major League Baseball teams.
"For most Americans, the thought of having our own baseball card or football card is
something we dream about growing up and something that carries universal appeal," Dully
said. "In that sense, Donruss is helping make dreams come true for some of todays preeminent
artists and athletes.
"Were talking about some of the most beloved individuals in the country who, until now,
havent had a trading card for their fans to collect. Thanks to Donruss, now they will."
Donruss plans to incorporate additional personalities in future Fans of the Game releases this
year, with confirmed participants scheduled to include:
- Regis Philbin, celebrated co-host of "Live With Regis and Kelly" and host of
the original "Who Wants to be a Millionaire?"
- Charlie Sheen, actor who starred in the motion picture comedies "Major League" and
"Major League II" and who currently stars in the television series "Two and a Half Men"
- Tom Arnold, actor/comedian and co-host of Fox Sports Nets "Best Damn Sports Show"
- Jamie-Lynn Discala, actress who portrays Meadow Soprano on HBOs "The Sopranos"
- Corbin Bernsen, accomplished actor who appeared in the successful baseball comedies
"Major League" and "Major League II" and who was a fixture on the popular
"L.A. Law" television series
- Steve R. Schirripa, actor who portrays Bobby Baccalieri on HBOs "The Sopranos"
- Joe Mantegna, actor whos appeared in popular TV shows "Joan of Arcadia" and "First Monday,"
as well as the motion picture "The Godfather: Part III"
- Peter Gammons, ESPN baseball analyst
- Jennie Finch, a star member of the 2004 U.S. Womens softball team
- Jeff Garlin, comedic actor on HBOs "Curb Your Enthusiasm" who also co-starred with
Eddie Murphy in "Daddy Day Care"
- Kerry Strug, U.S. Olympic gold-medal-winning gymnast
- Dan Jansen, U.S. Olympic gold-medal winning speed skater
- Bonnie Blair, U.S. Olympic gold-medal winning speed skater
- Bode Miller, popular downhill skier and U.S. Olympian
- Landon Donovan, one of the top young talents in American soccer today and a member of
the MLS San Jose Earthquakes
Source: Donruss Playoff, L.P.
Date: March 24, 2004
All hobby headlines...