Software
  Card Calendar
  Show Calendar
  Team Addresses
  Collecting Tips
  Marketplace
  eBay
Custom Search

Welcome, Guest. The Collector Zone is a free community for trading card collectors - both sports and non-sports. There are forums for all of the major sports, non-sports, autographs and other hobby-related information. In addition, there are areas to trade, buy and sell with other collectors. Our members have now completed over 48,125 collector-to-collector transactions using our easy-to-use Transaction Manager.

With over 30,500 collectors and over 2,750,000 posts, there's plenty of ways to get involved with the other members - either in discussions or with trading. So, are you ready to join and start meeting other collectors?

If you're not a member, click here: Register

If you're already a member, login here:

Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

Outline · [ Standard ] · Linear+

> More than just Sports Heroes, True American Heroes

sasports
post Oct 23 2016, 11:49 AM
Post #1

Nerdgaming74859
Group Icon

First Name: Shawn
Transactions: 607
(View: Pending | Failed)

Restrictions:
Must Send First

Ustream.TV:

View Gallery

View Trading and Marketplace Topics

Create Transaction

So as I was updating my Sooners List, I ran across a couple of Former Athletes that paid the Ultimate price in combat. These men/women who are professional athletes put their careers on hold to fight for the Red, White, and Blue. Whether they did it willingly or were drafted, they still deserve our utmost respect and appreciation.

After reading a little about a couple of them, I have decided to start a thread to recognize these heroes. Please, if you know of any feel free to post them here! I will be keeping a table of contents as well as updating bios on each.

James Robert "Bob" Kalsu- Vietnam

Walter Rolland Young- WWII

Deals since resurrection: 6 (HELP ME!)

AP Collection
The Sooners PC
My Tradelist

QUOTE(chopinalex @ Aug 13 2009, 03:49 PM)
man your hardcore if you bust the box in the parking lot..

TCC Facebook

MLB Team:
NBA Team:
NFL Team:
NHL Team:
User is offlinePMProfile Card
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
sasports
post Oct 23 2016, 11:51 AM
Post #2

Nerdgaming74859
Group Icon

Restrictions:
Must Send First

Ustream.TV:

View Gallery

Create Transaction

Walter Roland Young (September 14, 1916 – January 9, 1945) was a professional football player who later served in World War II.

Football and war
Young was the first consensus All-American football player out of the University of Oklahoma. He led the team to its first conference championship ever as well as its first bowl berth ever, in the 1939 Orange Bowl. He also starred as a heavyweight wrestler for the Sooners. After college he played professionally for the Brooklyn Dodgers of the National Football League, where he played in the league's first televised game. He voluntarily gave up his NFL career to become a member of the elite flying club who piloted America’s B-24 Liberator bombers over the European Theatre, flying 9,000 hours against mighty German Luftwaffe. Afterwards he volunteered to go back into combat in the Pacific Theatre against the Empire of Japan, where he flew B-29 Super Fortresses. He was killed on January 9, 1945, in a plane crash during a B-29 raid over Tokyo as he attempted to assist a comrade whose plane had one engine on fire.

Young was inducted posthumously into the College Football Hall of Fame in 1986 and named the recipient of the Robert Kalsu Freedom Award, presented by the Oklahoma Sports Hall of Fame, in 2007. The University of Oklahoma Air Force Reserve Officer Training Corps Arnold Air Society squadron and Silver Wings chapter is named in honor of Waddy Young.

Personal life
While living in New York City and playing professional football prior to America’s entry into World War II, he met Maggie Moody, a well-known blonde model who attended Oklahoma A&M, and the two fell in love. During halftime of a Brooklyn-New York Giants game in which he was playing, Young had the public address announcer voice his proposal to Maggie, who was sitting in the stands, and the two were later married.

AP Collection
The Sooners PC
My Tradelist

TCC Facebook

MLB Team:
NBA Team:
NFL Team:
NHL Team:
+Quote Post
sasports
post Oct 23 2016, 11:55 AM
Post #3

Nerdgaming74859
Group Icon

Restrictions:
Must Send First

Ustream.TV:

View Gallery

Create Transaction

James Robert "Bob" Kalsu (April 13, 1945 – July 21, 1970) was an All-American tackle at the University of Oklahoma and an eighth-round selection in the 1968 NFL/AFL draft by the Buffalo Bills of the American Football League.

Kalsu was a starting guard for the Bills in 1968. He played the entire season and was the Bills' team rookie-of-the-year. Following the 1968 season, to satisfy his Reserve Officers' Training Corps (ROTC) obligation, he entered the U.S. Army as a second lieutenant and arrived in Vietnam in November 1969 as part of the 101st Airborne Division. He was killed in action on July 21, 1970, when his unit came under enemy mortar fire at FSB Ripcord near the A Shau Valley. His family, out of respect, refused to talk in detail about the circumstances surrounding his death.

When he had left for Vietnam, Lieutenant Kalsu had to say goodbye to his wife, Jan, and his daughter Jill. On July 23, 1970, two days after his death, Jan Kalsu gave birth to his son, James Robert Kalsu Jr, at the Kalsu home in Oklahoma City. Mrs. Kalsu was informed of her husband's death only hours later. Kalsu and former Cleveland Brown Don Steinbrunner were the only professional football players to lose their lives in the Vietnam War.

Honors
FOB Kalsu in Babil, Iraq, was founded and named after him by the 105th Military Police Company from Buffalo, NY in early 2003. The name was chosen in a way to honor his sacrifice for his country and his connection to the Buffalo Bills.

In 1999, NFL Films produced a feature on Kalsu that was nominated for an Emmy Award.

In 2000, the Buffalo Bills added Kalsu's name to the Buffalo Bills Wall of Fame.

In 2002, the replacement company at Fort Campbell was named in honor of him – 1LT J. Robert Kalsu Replacement Company.

Del City High School's football stadium bears his name.

There is a CrossFit Work Out of the Day (WOD) named in his honor.

There is a post office in Del City, Oklahoma named for Kalsu. The legislation was signed in law by President Obama on Nov. 5, 2015, and the post office was dedicated on Feb. 5, 2016. The official name of the post office is the James Robert Kalsu Post Office, located at 4500 SE 28th Street in Del City, where Kalsu played high school football before enrolling at the University of Oklahoma.

AP Collection
The Sooners PC
My Tradelist

TCC Facebook

MLB Team:
NBA Team:
NFL Team:
NHL Team:
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicTopic OptionsStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time: 18th March 2024 - 11:27 PM

Partner
Sportlots.com

Affiliate

Affiliate
BCW Supplies

Copyright © 2000-2014 Trading Card Central. All rights reserved.   Advertise  Partners  Links  About Us  Contact Us