Software
  Card Calendar
  Show Calendar
  Team Addresses
  Collecting Tips
  Marketplace
  eBay
Custom Search

Welcome, Guest. The Collector Zone is a free community for trading card collectors - both sports and non-sports. There are forums for all of the major sports, non-sports, autographs and other hobby-related information. In addition, there are areas to trade, buy and sell with other collectors. Our members have now completed over 48,125 collector-to-collector transactions using our easy-to-use Transaction Manager.

With over 30,500 collectors and over 2,750,000 posts, there's plenty of ways to get involved with the other members - either in discussions or with trading. So, are you ready to join and start meeting other collectors?

If you're not a member, click here: Register

If you're already a member, login here:

Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

Outline · [ Standard ] · Linear+

> Assessing a Vintage Collection this Weekend

msw_sportscards
post Jul 23 2016, 10:44 AM
Post #1

Collect Hard!!! RIP RGBII
Group Icon

First Name: Marc
Transactions: 84
(View: Pending | Failed)

View Gallery

View Trading and Marketplace Topics

Create Transaction

My friend's father passed away a few weeks ago. Among his belongings he found a small collection of vintage baseball cards. Since he doesn't know much about cards, he asked my advice. He bought a Beckett and was expecting the value to be around $20K. There are 2 card shops in town that he took them to. One offered him $500 and the other offered him $2800. That leads me to believe there are some serious condition issues especially since he claims one of the cards is a Willie Mays RC.

He once again asked my advice on what he should do. I told him that I really couldn't tell without seeing the cards and their condition. I'm guessing their real value is around 5-6K based on the $2800 offer and I won't be patronizing the store that offered him $500. If this is the case, I'll most likely steer him toward Sportlots or ebay. Wish I had the dinero to lift them off his hands.

Supposedly there are several Bowman Musials, a Mays RC, and several T-206 cards. Regardless of their value, this is going to be fun. I'll try to get some pics.

User is offlinePMProfile Card
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
THUNDER9
post Jul 23 2016, 05:04 PM
Post #2

MVP
Group Icon

First Name: Jeff
Transactions: 83

eBay: Braves20

View Gallery

Create Transaction

Can't wait! You know we'll all help out!

MLB Team:
NBA Team:
NFL Team:
NHL Team:
+Quote Post
aceecards
post Jul 23 2016, 05:28 PM
Post #3

Legend
Group Icon
Group Icon

First Name: Steve
Transactions: 1068

Awards:
2014 CZT of the Year 2015 2012 & 2009 Battle Royal Champion 2009 Best Autograph Card 2008, 2009 and 2010 Best Overall Collection 2007 Trade of the Year Trader of the Month - Oct. '05, Aug. '06, Aug. '07, Mar 15 (TIE)

View Gallery

Create Transaction

as usual id suspect condition sensitive cards, some shops wont touch stuff that cannot be graded.

Collector Zone Team
user posted image

The New Bucket!
newer bucket

MLB Team:
NBA Team:
NFL Team:
NHL Team:
+Quote Post
aceecards
post Jul 24 2016, 07:02 PM
Post #4

Legend
Group Icon
Group Icon

Awards:
2014 CZT of the Year 2015 2012 & 2009 Battle Royal Champion 2009 Best Autograph Card 2008, 2009 and 2010 Best Overall Collection 2007 Trade of the Year Trader of the Month - Oct. '05, Aug. '06, Aug. '07, Mar 15 (TIE)

View Gallery

Create Transaction

so how did it go marc?

Collector Zone Team
user posted image

The New Bucket!
newer bucket

MLB Team:
NBA Team:
NFL Team:
NHL Team:
+Quote Post
msw_sportscards
post Jul 24 2016, 10:08 PM
Post #5

Group Icon

View Gallery

Create Transaction

QUOTE(aceecards @ Jul 24 2016, 07:02 PM)
so how did it go marc?

I'm still reeling. Unfortunately, I didn't get any pics. He had a stack of about 100 bookworthy cards from 1952 and 1953, most in VG or EX. (3) 52 Topps Andy Pafko- 2 were in VG cond and 1 was Fair. 1952 Topps Willie Mays in Fair condition-- it would have been VG or EX, but for a miniscule dot of paper loss that really didn't detract from the card. A boatload of 53 Bowman color mostly in EX condition multiples of Spahn, Feller, Musial, Doby. A 1953 Topps Satchell Paige in EX cond. And these are just the ones I remember. I found a few gems that he had overlooked and left in with the commons- 53 Bowman B&W Bob Lemon in EX condition and a couple 53 Topps Smokey Burgess SPs also in ex condition. In addition, he had a stack of about 150 1952 Topps commons mostly in VG condition and around 300 1953 Topps commons mostly in EX condition.

I basically advised him to list the cards on ebay. My overall opinion of their value is somewhere between 7K and 10K, but I am by no means an expert on grading or predicting what cards are going to sell for on ebay. I told him that if he did that to list the commons first. He should be able to get around $5 each for the 52 Topps and somewhere around $2 or $3 each for the 53 Bowman and Topps. Then after he's built up some history, he could list the better cards and should get closer to market value for them. I think time is a factor and fear he's going to offload them to a dealer in town.

I told him that if he goes that route, then he should try to get the dealer to come up to 4K but not to expect more than that cause the guy has to make his money.

Unfortunately I don't think keeping them is an option, but it would be his best option if he isn't going to ebay them. As a vintage junkie, it was an amazing experience to see all those cards up close. Wish I had an extra $3500-$4K lying around because if I did, I would take them off his hands.

+Quote Post
aceecards
post Jul 25 2016, 07:11 AM
Post #6

Legend
Group Icon
Group Icon

Awards:

View Gallery

Create Transaction

I have better advice

Wait till the national in chicago next year!

then hand carry them there!

Collector Zone Team
user posted image

The New Bucket!
newer bucket

MLB Team:
NBA Team:
NFL Team:
NHL Team:
+Quote Post
msw_sportscards
post Jul 25 2016, 07:43 AM
Post #7

Group Icon

View Gallery

Create Transaction

QUOTE(aceecards @ Jul 25 2016, 07:11 AM)
I have better advice

Wait till the national in chicago next year!

then hand carry them there!

Yeah. I think they need the funds before then, though. Bills to pay. His mom is also in ill health. Big C. She's refusing further treatment and is trying to get everything settled so the kids aren't left with trying to sort through everything.

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicTopic OptionsStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time: 18th March 2024 - 11:19 PM

Partner
Sportlots.com

Affiliate

Affiliate
BCW Supplies

Copyright © 2000-2014 Trading Card Central. All rights reserved.   Advertise  Partners  Links  About Us  Contact Us