Help - Search - Member List - Calendar
Full Version: Whats ur Collecting pet peeve
Collector Zone > Collector Corner > Hobby Talk
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5
BoxBreaker44
For me I hate getting Cards that just went straight to a toploader....no penny sleeve...i dont know why but it bothers the heck outa me..
NGWH Sports Cards
People who tell who to collect and how much money you can spend on them.
2000 rushing yards
When people don't write notes or anything in their bubble mailers for trades. I don't like it, it looks like you don't even care sad.gif
vikinghawkeye
it used to be ppl saying saying "what did u pull" and "break"
but now those seem normal
but i still dont get it when ppl say "lets crack this thing open" ur only taking a seal of and opening the box
another
those kids that do hockey packs on youtube and get excited over nothing
"oh wow an insert,this is very nice,why dont u take a good look at that"
and ive noticed its always hockey
i think theres like 5 kids that do those hockey pack things
WHERES THE FOOTBALL laugh.gif
psupuz31
I have a couple of things that I don't like

1) When I go to card shows dealers think or treat me like I don't know anything because I'm 16 but I pretty much know more then them about what they are trying to ell.
2) When people reply in box breaks saying "I need that card" instead of complimenting the person for the break and thanking them for sharing.
3) Pack Searchers

I think that is it.
Cades
QUOTE(NGWH Sports Cards @ Jul 16 2007, 08:38 AM)
People who tell who to collect and how much money you can spend on them.

Then why do you always ask people who you should to collect?
dodgerblue38501
PACK SEARCHERS !!!
skatalite
QUOTE(psupuz31 @ Jul 16 2007, 09:32 AM)
2) When people reply in box breaks saying "I need that card" instead of complimenting

That's a HUGE one for me.

QUOTE(Cades @ Jul 16 2007, 09:34 AM)
Then why do you always ask people who you should to collect?

His father tells him he shouldn't collect who he does because they're not investments. That's why he continuously asks TCCers who he should collect.

Let's see, another one of mine...

And this is a small one that I feel dumb for even let bother me, but when people say they have scans but those scans are really photographs of the product. I keep thinking, "A scan requires a scanner!"

Ugh.
heathmoel
1. Pack Searchers
2. People who are in the Hobby ONLY for $$$ (sorry for the people who are here just for the $$$)
3. People who must trade "exact" BV's and can't trade a $12 card they need for a $15 card I need (even if I throw in a serial #d card of there player worth $5
4. Spammers (I guess that's not with the 'hobby' more just online trading)

Sorry for the rant

vikinghawkeye
ooh ooh another

ppl who post pointless but funny videos that have nothing to do with collecting in any way

LIKE ME!!

click below to see the evolution of dance
its really cool
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dMH0bHeiRNg
NGWH Sports Cards
People that have cards I want!~ tongue.gif tongue.gif tongue.gif laugh.gif laugh.gif
jt4pres
Those are all good ones.

I'll add a couple personal ones:

Sellers who jack up their card's value..

People who write on this site (or any collecting site) in hieroglyphics or are looking for a specific player but continually spell that player's name wrong..
aceecards
Since Im old and eccentric.. and obsessive/compulsive.. I have lots of Pet peeves

10. Kids who mock other video busters with hyped up excitement!
9. Card show dealers that know nothing about sports!
8. Whozit grading Companies at Card shows charging Becketts Price
7. Ebay sellers going thru a Divorce or Heart Attack
6. Customers asking Card shop " have all the hits come out of this box?"
5. Having Ebay ripped photos in your Bucket!
4. comments like "would you take $8 dlvd for the ripken auto? "
3. BECKETT PRICE GUIDES!

and my number 2 Pet peeve

2. "Collectors" and I use that term loosely worried only about Book Value!

And Finally at the top of the Pop list ... #1

1. Pack Searching Scum

psupuz31
I just thought of anohter one I HATE when people try and sell autographs that they got TTM. The athlete went out of their way to sign it so you shouldn't go and sell it. Why do you think none of the big name stars sign anymore? Also I don't see it here but on SCN but I hate when people try to keep other player's addresses secret. If you have a address for an athlete you should share the wealth if you got an auto back from the address.

I don't see these examples on TCC though!
dodgerblue38501
QUOTE(aceecards @ Jul 16 2007, 10:13 AM)
Since Im old and eccentric.. and obsessive/compulsive.. I have lots of Pet peeves

Card show dealers that know nothing about sports

Ebay sellers going through a Divorce or Heart Attack  laugh.gif

Customers asking Card shop " have all the hits come out of this box?"

Comments like "would you take $8 dlvd for the ripken auto? "

BECKETT PRICE GUIDES!

"Collectors" and I use that term loosely worried only about Book Value!

And Finally at the top of the Pop list ... #1

Pack Searching Scum

Awesome points! AMEN BROTHER!!!!
msuwendy
Here are a few more I can think of:

1. eBay sellers who find it absolutely necessary to make a killing through shipping.

2. plain white envelopes.

3. people who try to save on penny sleeves by cramming as many cards as they can into 1.

4. fake patches.
Bravesfan10
1) When I go to card shows dealers think or treat me like I don't know anything because I'm 16 but I pretty much know more then them about what they are trying to ell.

That same thing happens to me alot execpt when I say stuff they don't know or didn't expect me to know, they get all rude and saracastic with me!
coltsfan23

I have only ever gone to one card show, and it didn't happen too much, but it annoyed me as well! I am pretty small for being 16, so it really bugged me when they treated me like I was dumb.
ffman
I think it has already been mentioned, but:

People who enter a box break thread and say 'I call so-and-so' or 'I need so-and-so', without offering a 'Good luck!' or 'Nice break!'.
Craig N
People who spell Demeco Ryans Demarcos Ryan
bigalexx
QUOTE(psupuz31 @ Jul 16 2007, 07:32 AM)

2) When people reply in box breaks saying "I need that card" instead of complimenting the person for the break and thanking them for sharing.
3) Pack Searchers

I think that is it.

I agree with all of those especially 1 and 3 but for #2 I dont have a problem with them saying. "Sweet pull/nice pull I could use." But when they say "I need that card" that bugs me a little. What really bugs me is when people say before box breaks like "I call all Sterling Sharpe" or whatever the players name is.
snowblink
Rarely being able to locate small BV cards for my collection without hearing "what gu and auto cards do you have to trade?" mad.gif

Not being able to locate low BV cards I've been looking for for years to complete a small number of sub-set projects... sad.gif
vikinghawkeye
QUOTE(Craig N @ Jul 16 2007, 12:05 PM)
People who spell Demeco Ryans Demarcos Ryan

that reminds me
when people say tarvaris jackson wrong
heres a list of how ive hear it said

tavarias
travis
travaris
tavaris
heynetboy
People that say the ony collect "Hot Rookies". Like i'm not aware that they ony want the cards they can dump fast for cash while giving me junk.
ffman
People who are childish and don't know when to quit.
coltsfan23
QUOTE(vikinghawkeye @ Jul 16 2007, 01:50 PM)
that reminds me
when people say tarvaris jackson wrong
heres a list of how ive hear it said

tavarias
travis
travaris
tavaris

laugh.gif laugh.gif That DOES get annoying.
Nene
- People that post $10 paypal for the best auto, then proceed to reject every single offer made to them (happens on SCF)

- People trying to turn a quick buck (we all hate that)

- The same complaint as first one, cards that come with no penny sleeve in a toploader

- People that only want HOFers AUTOS ...ACEE!! Jay kay

- People that make other established traders trade first

- People that say PC Open, but dont really mean it! laugh.gif
psupuz31
QUOTE(heynetboy @ Jul 16 2007, 03:15 PM)
People that say the ony collect "Hot Rookies". Like i'm not aware that they ony want the cards they can dump fast for cash while giving me junk.

I hate that too! Like you always liked Reggie Bush, Matt Leinart, Vince Young, Joseph Addai, Laurence Maroney, Marques Colston and DeAngelo Williams since they were in college?

One thing I also hate is people making their own websites just so they can be a Moderator or "In Control".
Nene
The website peeve...

Sounds like that chap we knew....Brandon Surber
acampione
I only have two...

-Tape on the toploaders..
-People "calling" other people's cards in the box break section..
crazygood
Fake collectors/fans:

The people whose collection/Photobucket consists of about 15-30 cards, all being different players, and all being "high end RC autos". The people with no direction with their collecting and no passion whatsoever for the sport they "love". People who constantly swap these precious "high end RC autos" over and over again whether it is because "they will be worth more in the future", or possibly because they think it makes them look good.

There is becoming more and more of these people, and it bugs me. Collect your player, collect your team, collect your set. Collecting "high end RC autos" is pointless and only screams "I think I can make money in this hobby".
marcus42
QUOTE(2000 rushing yards @ Jul 16 2007, 10:18 AM)
When people don't write notes or anything in their bubble mailers for trades. I don't like it, it looks like you don't even care sad.gif

i don't think that's neccesarily true...I don't tend to write notes when I trade, but i still care! smile.gif

one small pet peeve of mine is when someone will list a parallel or insert from a players rookie year and say it's a 'RC'...it's not a true RC, but it is from their rookie year, so in theory it's not a RC...doesn't really annoy me, I just always seem to notice. nice thread!
spuds1961
my number 1 pet peeve is hobby shop owners that try to get over on new customers,it happened to me when i first moved to mississippi,the guy was trying to sell me singles at high book value and then trying to tell me he was giving me a good deal,once i started quoting him book values off the top of my head he realized he didn,t have a fish on the line,but i still won,t buy anything off of him to this day because of that first impression take care steve
MDIZZ
people treat me like i know nothing cuz im 13, thats why i usualy only go to one place im tired of people just acting like i dont know anything
CardCraze
11.men who play the revenge game on ebay
10 People calling packs booster packs
9 getting a scrub gu in a high end product
8 putting an auto into a toploader without a pennysleeve first
7 people who tell me i dont have any card, im 13 i just started!
6 people who dont know but ask about cards(ill give ya 30 bucks for ur peterson)
5. people whot think all or any card collectors are nerds who sit with a screwdriver in a hobbyshop warshiping and praying for there cards.
4 Ebay people trying to sell wax pack, like im gonna get 25 for 10 bucks
3 when i have the card he wants and he has one i want but his is BV 15 and mine is BV 9 so he declines.
2 Kids who mimic collectors on Youtube
1 People who yell at me and call me names because i wont sell a card they want.
bigalexx
QUOTE(CardCraze @ Jul 17 2007, 11:04 PM)
10 People calling packs booster packs
9 getting a scrub gu in a high end product
3 when i have the card he wants and he has one i want but his is BV 15 and mine is BV 9 so he declines.

I agree with all of those excpet for the ones that are listed in the quote.
for #10 why should hobby and blaster packs have the same name whats the big deal if I call it a blaster pack or a blister pack or a booster pack its the same thing.
#9 Of course no one likes pulling scrub gu but thats part of the hobby. If you pulled a great card every time what would be the fun of it if it was just a common thing.
#7 Yeah you might get frustrated but its there cards they dont have to trade it for something they dont want and you would probably do the same. Plus I dont like when people use there age as an excuse. David (Dviv17) is the same age as you you dont see him using his age as an excuse.
#3 Goes for the most part with the first part of #7
troygoesdeep
people who say a card is for trade and than as soon as u post for it there like nope its pc
bigalexx
QUOTE(troygoesdeep @ Jul 17 2007, 11:31 PM)
people who say a card is for trade and than as soon as u post for it there like nope its pc

or you get a pm from them that says its sortof pc since its a cool card but i will trade it for the right card
killerhawkeye21
Uhhh, I feel like i'm the only one, but I hate when people type horribly....there is an edit button!

So yeha dat kidna anooys me.

bigalexx
QUOTE(killerhawkeye21 @ Jul 17 2007, 11:43 PM)
Uhhh, I feel like i'm the only one, but I hate when people type horribly....there is an edit button!

So yeha dat kidna anooys me.

wow that annoys me so much. How hard is it to reread your post before you click the post button
coltsfan23
QUOTE(bigalexx @ Jul 18 2007, 01:45 AM)
wow that annoys me so much. How hard is it to reread your post before you click the post button

Agreed as well. It gets very annoying to read.
urbanmonk
Wow lots of good ones on here. I'm kinda new here, so just starting to get the feel of the place, wish something like this was around years ago (but then I didn't have a computer anyway laugh.gif )

Some people make money on sports cards, but I think you have better odds at the Stock Market, besides that's not really what it is about to me (but maybe I'm weird).

Just remember some people just don't know any better, a little "non agressive" elightenment might work wonders.

I just use BV as a basis to get trade close, you have to use something, but it really should be about both parties getting something they want (though this doesn't really apply to the folks trying to make money or the specualtor crowd). I have lots of "higher value upcoming stars" cards of the 90s that I put in a different box, and they in the .10-.20 range now (some not even that, can you say Marinovich? wink.gif ).

People who post in set builders topics "do you want to buy?" for the first reply. If you ever tried to build sets in the 90s, bought many boxes and have 1,500-2k duplicates and still don't have a 500 card set, then you would know this is frustrating (UpperDeck you know who you are). I've only been here a short time so far, but already on two occassions I have sent what I had to set builders even if they don't have anything for me (you can tell the true set builders because it's not just one team or player).

I agree on the people selling TTM or in person non COA cards. People wonder why the athletes don't sign, they can see them on EBAY. Don't spoil it for the rest of us that find value in that, even though it lowers the value of the card.

Most had been covered, just had to throw in my two cents.

happy collecting all,
Dwight
vikinghawkeye
QUOTE(CardCraze @ Jul 18 2007, 01:04 AM)
1 People who yell at me and call me names because i wont sell a card they want.

i wouldnt say u have nothing
for somone who is just starting ur doin pretty good
an adrian peterson auto and didnt u get an evan longoria auto or was that someone else?

#1 just sounded funny (u know,the text version of sound)but i know its not funny

vitalejd
QUOTE(msuwendy @ Jul 16 2007, 10:51 AM)
Here are a few more I can think of:

3. people who try to save on penny sleeves by cramming as many cards as they can into 1.

I totally agree with you on this one...I got 1000 penny sleeves for $11. Is that so much?
golfermatt91
I only have a couple

3. People saying you have no cards and If you have any higher end cards not listed (If I had them Im sure they would be listed)

2. Pack Searchers

1. How my hobby shop owner still hasnt given me his discount smile.gif
psupuz31
I just thought of another one that really bugs me. When someone runs a contest and you have to guess the number even though the number between 1-1,000, and you only get a insert card as your prize. These things take forever people who are running the contest should at least hook them up with more than an insert card.
snkpoct137
QUOTE(aceecards @ Jul 16 2007, 11:13 AM)
  4. comments like "would you take $8 dlvd for the ripken auto? "
  3. BECKETT PRICE GUIDES!

hey ace i apologized for that one, no need to put it publicly laugh.gif
dviv17
Yeah, at the last hobby shop I went to the dealers tried to screw me over because of my age.

I started talking to them about the hobby and bartered with them some, but I think they still thought I was dumb.

That kind of irked me.
dviv17
Oh yeah, and people who don't get back to you in trades/sales. Even if it is to reject, at least show the courtesy to reply. I don't care if you say sorry I need more for that, or, nothing I see, but that bothers me when people are rude like that.
Bravesfan10
QUOTE(spuds1961 @ Jul 17 2007, 04:10 PM)
my number 1 pet peeve is hobby shop owners that try to get over on new customers,it happened to me when i first moved to mississippi,the guy was trying to sell me singles at high book value and then trying to tell me he was giving me a good deal,once i started quoting him book values off the top of my head he realized he didn,t have a fish on the line,but i still won,t buy anything off of him to this day because of that first impression take care steve

The same thing happened to me. After I pulled my hank aaron auto jersey, I took it to the shop to show the owner and he offered me a box of 06 sweet spot for it. I said no but he kept trying the whole time I was there. I mean, how dumb does he think I am?
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.