Help - Search - Member List - Calendar
Full Version: Ebay Ethics Question
Collector Zone > Collector Corner > Hobby Talk
Luke2411
I am looking at a card on eBay, which is fairly limited edition (it's numbered to 50). It would be a great addition to my set. However, when looking closely at the scan, I noticed what appeared to be a black smudge or scratch. So, I e-mailed the seller asking if this was on the card or just on the top-loader (which is usually the case). He honestly messaged me back that the scratch is on the card, and was there when he pulled it out of the pack. Otherwise, the card is in good condition. While being honest with me, after I contacted him, no where on the auction does the seller indicate that there is a scratch on the card. He also indicated to me what his reserve price is. It is set at about what mt-nrmt versions of the same cards have been going for, but he clearly indicated to me in his message that this card would not grade mt-nrmt because of the scratch. My question to you guys is, should he indicate in the auction description that the card is scratched? He does not make any claims in the description that the card is mint-nrmt or otherwise, but he also does not say that the card is scratched. To me, that's a sin by omission and is misleading. However, you can see the scratch if you look closely, but I can understand how some would think that it's just part of the scan or on the top-loader. What are your thoughts?
Hallsgator
He should make it known in the description that it isn't in mint condition. If there is nothing about condition in the description, most people assume it is in mint condition because it is the sellers responsibility to tell about the condition of the card if there is something wrong with it.
flea
He should mention it no doubt about it
The Ripper
it should be stated in the description to the best of his ability. Maybe his ability is lacking. Most cards on eBay assumed to be in NM-MT condition, NOT MINT. Slight flaws are on just about every card. If not, it should be stated in the description. Not only should flaws be described but if the card looks to be a GEM MINT, that too should be in the description.

I have my scanner set to high resolution so buyers can make their own judgements on the cards I have up. Plastic sleeves, toploaders, dust/lint particles are usually the cause for any imperfections in my scans. Dust/lint show up as very bright dots in the scans. Scratches, shadows and glares are usually from the plastic sleeves/toploaders. Some of the toughest cards to scan are foil cards. Some come out very dark and the dust and lint show up more profoundly.

As long as the seller described the card to be in NM-MT condition, then a buyer should assume that there is minor flaws on the card. If a buyer is uncertain, or notices something, then asking a question like you did is what should be done. The seller was honest when you asked. I give him thumbs up for that even though he didn`t list the flaw(scratch)in his description.
Luke2411
I contacted him again and suggested that he make it clear that there is a scratch on the card, or at least include in the description that the card is not mint or nrmt. He wrote back and said he appreciated my advice, and would pull the auction and relist the card with the added information in the description. I have checked and he did pull the auction, but the card has not bee relisted yet.

So, I'm glad that for once, there is an honest seller on eBay. So, kudos to jerrykl7554 for trying to make things right.

This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.