Help - Search - Member List - Calendar
Full Version: Status of TCC
Collector Zone > TCC Features > News and Announcements
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8
bob_TCC
I just wanted to take a few moments to stop running around and provide a quick update on the status of TCC.

The computer that hosts the site suffered a catastrophic failure in the early hours of today. That failure led to an emergency attempt to recover the data. Thankfully, a reasonable percentage of the data was recovered. That recovered data coupled with various backups is being reviewed and pieced back together in order to restore the site.

No topics or posts were lost - an amazing thing considering what happened! However, the main member list was damaged and needed to be restored. That is why members that joined after some time on 11/27/06 are currently not able to access the site.

Using data that was restored and the topic/post data, I will be working to manually restore those members who were actively posting on the site. It will just take time today and tomorrow.

I am obviously very upset about what has unfolded today and am working as quickly as possible to restore the site. I apologize to all of you that were affected - at varying levels - by this situation. Life is full of surprises - some good and some bad. Today just happens to be one of the bad ones. sad.gif

-Bob
ffman
Wow....so it wasn't a server change. Ouch.
Krusin
I knew Bob was working on it. Sorry for the problems Bob hope it's something you can fix.
2000 rushing yards
I thought it was because of the new upgrade. Well at least hte site didn't lose itself all together
were Pms affected. I can't read my new ones and i don't know if i to send the ones i sent over again
ffman
QUOTE(2000 rushing yards @ Mar 4 2007, 04:51 PM)
I thought it was because of the new upgrade. Well at least hte site didn't lose itself all together

Yep. It was a little weird seeing an error screen basically saying that TCC didn't exist. laugh.gif
bob_TCC
QUOTE(ffman @ Mar 4 2007, 05:47 PM)
Wow....so it wasn't a server change.  Ouch.

No, not at all. In fact, if it was a server move, it would have gone just as smoothly as the previous moves and many members would have never known it happened.

This was nothing short of a major failure. sad.gif

-Bob
2000 rushing yards
me 2. I kept on seeing error readings until tcc came up kind of. It said forums in a little folder. I clicked on it and it couldn't connect
ffman
QUOTE(bob_TCC @ Mar 4 2007, 04:52 PM)
No, not at all.  In fact, if it was a server move, it would have gone just as smoothly as the previous moves and many members would have never known it happened.

This was nothing short of a major failure.    sad.gif

-Bob

Hey....at least the site itself didn't get deleted. It could have been worse....at least we were left with something to work with.
kooljazz1966
Times like this allows us all to reflect and appreciate what we really have. The TCC community is a great one that will prevail and be even stronger after this.

-Ken
2000 rushing yards
QUOTE(kooljazz1966 @ Mar 4 2007, 05:58 PM)
Times like this allows us all to reflect and appreciate what we really have.  The TCC community is a great one that will prevail and be even stronger after this.
-Ken

defiently ken. As you can see, everybody was angry about TCC not being up.biggrin.gif we all care aobut this site and wouldn't want to see it gone
ffman
QUOTE(kooljazz1966 @ Mar 4 2007, 04:58 PM)
Times like this allows us all to reflect and appreciate what we really have.  The TCC community is a great one that will prevail and be even stronger after this.
-Ken

True....just a little bump in the road for the site as a whole
bob_TCC
By the way, I've also disabled the ability for new members to join since that will actually make the task of restoring things more difficult. So, if any active members that joined after 11/27/06 read this topic, please be patient. We will get you back up and running as quickly as possible.

-Bob
northicehero99
Wow, this is pretty amazing. Sleep and watch a hockey game and see what you miss. laugh.gif

Thanks Bob for all that you do.
ffman
QUOTE(northicehero99 @ Mar 4 2007, 05:01 PM)
Wow, this is pretty amazing.  Sleep and watch a hockey game and see what you miss.  laugh.gif 

Thanks Bob for all that you do.

Yes...while we think this is hard to adjust to.......imagine all the work Bob will be doing.
jaderock
OUCH!!! Thank goodness Bob's not an impatient person otherwise someone's tail would nailed to the wall and ready for a flogging!
bob_TCC
QUOTE(jaderock @ Mar 4 2007, 06:04 PM)
OUCH!!! Thank goodness Bob's not an impatient person otherwise someone's tail would nailed to the wall and ready for a flogging!

While the thought crossed my mind (more than once), I have taken the approach of applying steady pressure in order to get as much help as possible. There will always be time to "discuss" this in more detail later.

-Bob
Tromni
Good luck getting things fixed up Bob. I imagine this was rough on you.

Thanks for doing all that you do. This site really is stupendous
bufbillsstlcards
TCC Lives on. Yay!
braves4life1025
that stinks
19th Century Indiana Jones
This is all Rich's fault! kid.gif
ffman
QUOTE(19th Century Indiana Jones @ Mar 4 2007, 05:34 PM)
This is all Rich's fault! kid.gif

unsure.gif blink.gif laugh.gif
crazygood
hey at least the site isn't having any hiccups anymore!

*runs for cover*
19th Century Indiana Jones
Errr... My board time is off by +1 hour. huh.gif
ffman
QUOTE(19th Century Indiana Jones @ Mar 4 2007, 05:38 PM)
Errr... My board time is off by +1 hour.  huh.gif

Mine is ahead by 56 min, but that's not an important thing.
Go18
At least dont have to listen to a few annoying members for a couple days that joined after that time. Opps did I say that too loud.. Im j/k you guys are all great and a big thanks to Bob for getting the site back going again! biggrin.gif
bob_TCC
As an update...

A significant part of the restoration process was just completed by uploading over 600 MB of files from a previous backup.

With this step complete, the site should look much closer to normal. Plus, this allows us to focus on the next round of updates.

-Bob
Go18
Hey I just noticed that I lost about 1,500 posts!!! Ahhh! Any update on this Bob?
ffman
QUOTE(Go18 @ Mar 4 2007, 05:54 PM)
Hey I just noticed that I lost about 1,500 posts!!! Ahhh! Any update on this Bob?

We all lost posts due to the computer failure. They will probably be restored in time.
crazygood
Hernan says Hi Everyone.
ffman
QUOTE(crazygood @ Mar 4 2007, 05:57 PM)
Hernan says Hi Everyone.

Tell him I said hello....and that we will miss him for a while.

Hello from dviv17 too.
bob_TCC
QUOTE(Go18 @ Mar 4 2007, 06:54 PM)

QUOTE(ffman @ Mar 4 2007, 06:56 PM)
We all lost posts due to the computer failure.  They will probably be restored in time.

Just to reinforce this point...

No topics or posts were lost - an amazing thing considering what happened!

Nearly 500,000 posts are still all there! The post counts can be fixed by running a maintenance utility that rebuilds the counts. I just won't be able to do that until the "missing" members are restored.

-Bob
ffman
QUOTE(bob_TCC @ Mar 4 2007, 06:01 PM)
Just to reinforce this point...

Nearly 500,000 posts are still all there!  The post counts can be fixed by running a maintenance utility that rebuilds the counts.  I just won't be able to do that until the "missing" members are restored.

-Bob

That's what I meant - post count.

Jackstraw
Bob - We certainly appreciate your diligence and hard work in keeping this excellent site and resource working!! Kudo's to you!!
braves4life1025
yes i made a trade earlier and the guy cant get on now so i cant post it...
EliteCollectables
I myself had a major crash on my Personal computer as welll.. I was attacked by a virus.. I am wonder if you host computer had the same problem? There are some big Viruses out there right now. I had to restore every thing.. its like a new computer now.. which isn't a bad thing, It runs alot faster now.. good thing for back up eh...

Elite
bob_TCC
Progress continues to be made, but it's going to be a long night on my end.

In addition to the site issues, I lost quite a bit of e-mail since the site handles both the site e-mail and my personal e-mail. sad.gif

I'm working on that at the moment. Plus, I have the support team for the forum software working on an approach to restore as many "missing" members as possible. It's rather upsetting to see 10,251 drop to 7783. sadwalk.gif

-Bob
ffman
QUOTE(bob_TCC @ Mar 4 2007, 07:03 PM)
Progress continues to be made, but it's going to be a long night on my end.

In addition to the site issues, I lost quite a bit of e-mail since the site handles both the site e-mail and my personal e-mail.  sad.gif

I'm working on that at the moment.  Plus, I have the support team for the forum software working on an approach to restore as many "missing" members as possible.  It's rather upsetting to see 10,251 drop to 7783.  sadwalk.gif

-Bob

Ugh............we lost near 2,500 people! Good luck getting everything back to normal - don't stress yourself too much.
bob_TCC
QUOTE(ffman @ Mar 4 2007, 08:05 PM)
Ugh............we lost near 2,500 people!

I don't believe they're lost yet. They are just "temporarily misplaced". wink.gif

-Bob
ffman
QUOTE(bob_TCC @ Mar 4 2007, 07:16 PM)
I don't believe they're lost yet.  They are just "temporarily misplaced".  wink.gif

-Bob

laugh.gif

bob_TCC
Just posting this again in order to avoid too many PMs about the same issue...

Nearly 500,000 posts are still all there! The post counts can be fixed by running a maintenance utility that rebuilds the counts. I just won't be able to do that until the "missing" members are restored.

-Bob
BarnhardtEnterprises
i woke up, went to get on TCC, and there was no TCC and I thought it was my intraweb so I went back to sleep and woke up again and went to get on TCC, no TCC

I cried.....
ffman
QUOTE(BarnhardtEnterprises @ Mar 4 2007, 07:27 PM)
i woke up, went to get on TCC, and there was no TCC and I thought it was my intraweb so I went back to sleep and woke up again and went to get on TCC, no TCC

I cried.....

Well....it's back.
bob_TCC
QUOTE(BarnhardtEnterprises @ Mar 4 2007, 08:27 PM)
I cried.....

I did that and much more at times today. mellow.gif

-Bob
artyman60
if anyone can fix it, its bob

Can he fix it?!!

YES HE CAN !!

robot.gif biggrin.gif
ffman
And we're back again........
bufbillsstlcards
Looks like we had another 2 hour outage there... Glad to be back smile.gif
nerk01
Did this affect openchecklist.com at all since it is my understanding that it also resides on the same server?
bob_TCC
QUOTE(nerk01 @ Mar 4 2007, 10:59 PM)
Did this affect openchecklist.com at all since it is my understanding that it also resides on the same server?

OpenChecklist.com is located on a different server. Therefore, this has no effect on that site. wink.gif

-Bob
bufbillsstlcards
Atleast this happened on a Sunday, the day that it seems slowest.

And because it was down, I actually got around to scanning my PC with my new Scanner! smile.gif

If you wanna see, here it is:
http://s168.photobucket.com/albums/u161/AaronsCollection/
Go18
Yay!! My post count is back! Thanks Bob biggrin.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.