Help - Search - Member List - Calendar
Full Version: I hate Shill Bidding.
Collector Zone > Collector Corner > Hobby Talk
aceecards
What are the odds..

Item gets listed yesterday.. 7 day auction.. starts for penny.

I place first bid and bid a nice weird amount $14.31!

Tonight! with 6+days to go

someone else bid up to $14.31 and quit? Bid 13 times and quit!

Why quit at my bid?

So to the gentleman who is selling this.. I hope you are a guest here and you are reading this..

I reported this to EBAY. Finest example of shill bidding I have ever seen in my life.!
DiaperDandy
Unbelievable..... I am glad you took the time to report it.....
aceecards
Oh well just retracted my bid.. so now their shiller is the high bidder..

2 can play the game!
skatalite
Hmmm... Maybe it wasn't shill bidding? The guy kept bidding up to see if he could crack you. After nine times, he quit. Maybe he didn't have enough money? Maybe he just gave up because there was no way in hell?

If he would've beat you with one bid he, most likely, would have stopped bidding. Either way, I don't think it necessarily means he shilled.
skatalite
QUOTE(aceecards @ Feb 6 2007, 07:32 PM)

2 can play the game!

laugh.gif Ah, well.
aceecards
QUOTE(skatalite @ Feb 6 2007, 08:33 PM)
Hmmm... Maybe it wasn't shill bidding? The guy kept bidding up to see if he could crack you. After nine times, he quit. Maybe he didn't have enough money? Maybe he just gave up because there was no way in hell?

If he would've beat you with one bid he, most likely, would have stopped bidding. Either way, I don't think it necessarily means he shilled.

quits at 14.31 for a $50.00 card and bid it up in increments of $1.00 until he gets to $11.99 then starts 50 cent per bid.. Nah.. he was fishing without going over..!
skatalite
QUOTE(aceecards @ Feb 6 2007, 07:34 PM)
quits at 14.31 for a $50.00 card and bid it up in increments of $1.00 until he gets to $11.99 then starts 50 cent per bid.. Nah.. he was fishing without going over..!

Mind giving us a link?
bufbillsstlcards
QUOTE(aceecards @ Feb 6 2007, 08:32 PM)

2 can play the game!

You show 'em Steve! laugh.gif tongue.gif
tex333
QUOTE(aceecards @ Feb 6 2007, 08:27 PM)
What are the odds..

Item gets listed yesterday.. 7 day auction.. starts for penny.

I place first bid and bid a nice weird amount $14.31!

Tonight! with 6+days to go

someone else bid up to $14.31 and quit? Bid 13 times and quit!

Why quit at my bid? 

So to the gentleman who is selling this.. I hope you are a guest here and you are reading this..

I reported this to EBAY. Finest example of shill bidding I have ever seen in my life.!

Wow That is the best shill bid I have ever seen
braves4life1025
dont use ebay EVER what does shill bid mean?
tex333
The seller or a friend of the seller drives up the price so it sells for more
skatalite
QUOTE(braves4life1025 @ Feb 6 2007, 08:24 PM)
dont use ebay EVER what does shill bid mean?

Why shouldn't we use eBay? Cause of shill bidding? tongue.gif
braves4life1025
ohh sorry press the I but didnt show upi meant i dont use ebay so whats shill biding?
tex333
Shill Bidding is when The seller or a friend of the seller drives up the price so it sells for more
braves4life1025
o ok
skatalite
QUOTE(braves4life1025 @ Feb 6 2007, 08:27 PM)
ohh sorry press the I but didnt show upi meant i dont use ebay so whats shill biding?

Huh? blink.gif
ffman
I think he meant:

I don't use eBay ever.

braves4life1025
yes thank you FFman
skatalite
QUOTE(ffman @ Feb 6 2007, 08:39 PM)
I think he meant:

I don't use eBay ever.

Ah, gotcha!

Alrighty.
crazygood
Probably not shill bidding. It happens all the time, where you have the high bid at your maximum bid. It usually rounds it up to your high because of the increments each bid must be at. If he bid $14 or something, it may have rounded it up to $14.31.

Not Shill Bidding.
fenway1990
it happened to me once, papelbon xfractor rc i put up a bid of $30 sad.gif mad.gif (stupidty) with 2 min left the bid was at 10, i checked it the next day, and i won at $29 even. quincadince , i think not!
jaderock
Alot of times people think it's shill bidding but it's also the natural of ebay as well when one puts up an early bid. Don' t know if it was, but who would waste their time to shill a $14 item? That would be pretty stupid to loose an account if it was true.
bob_TCC
Steve,

Could you provide a link to the auction?

-Bob
sundevilpride
QUOTE(fenway1990 @ Feb 6 2007, 09:29 PM)
it happened to me once, papelbon xfractor rc i put up a bid of $30  sad.gif  mad.gif (stupidty) with 2 min left the bid was at 10, i checked it the next day, and i won at $29 even. quincadince , i think not!

I have seen many times where there are at least 10 bids in the last minute of an auction. I always place my bid with 13 seconds left.
jaderock
QUOTE(sundevilpride @ Feb 6 2007, 10:15 PM)
...I always place my bid with 13 seconds left.

OK...I see we have a newbie here! laugh.gif...never bid before 5 seconds left if done in person!
Bags5MVP
QUOTE(bob_TCC @ Feb 6 2007, 08:48 PM)
Steve,

Could you provide a link to the auction?

-Bob

I'd like to see it!
chopinalex
QUOTE(sundevilpride @ Feb 6 2007, 11:15 PM)
I have seen many times where there are at least 10 bids in the last minute of an auction. I always place my bid with 13 seconds left.

yeah i try also to do it with the least amount of time as possible..usually 20-30 seconds..
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.