Help - Search - Member List - Calendar
Full Version: New gradingcard service??
Collector Zone > Collector Corner > Hobby Talk
chopinalex
Hello I saw this grading site on my cardboard news newsletter. Its real cheap and im thinking about it but I never heard of it and the card holders look really cheap. Anyone have experience with this grading system. The guy is suppose to be a very experienced grader, frank garo. cant
beat 3.00 a card though..

www.arrowgrade.com
aceecards
Dear soon to be parted with your hard earned money..

If you have to get something graded..

I recommend

First and Foremost... Beckett.. its expensive but its worth it..(if you just have to get something graded)

Second PSA/DNA..

and third... There are no other choices that matter..

Checkout any price guide and you will see why!

chopinalex
You broke my heart ace! sad.gif
aceecards
ya know bud...

I am sincerely 110 % committed to collecting cards and such.. but never got into this grading craze when it started..

I have had cards graded by beckett.. and have even hit the mother lode witha crosby rookie...

But.. grading usually starts with high expectations and ends with bitter disappointment.. In fact of the 20+ cards I have had graded that I thought might be 10's.. only 2 came back that way.

I have friends that have every major rookie they pull graded.. what do they have to show for it.. a stack of 9.0 and 9.5's that nobody really pays a premium for. yes they have assembled great collections of rookies.. but if it added no value.. why do it.

Go to a show and watch a grader work..then go home and try it yourself.. If you find a 10 send it in..!

A screwdown or magnetic holder looks just as nice to me for the price.
chopinalex
QUOTE(aceecards @ Dec 20 2006, 03:03 PM)
ya know bud...

I am sincerely 110 % committed to collecting cards and such.. but never got into this grading craze when it started..

I know ace i was just joking. I only like graded cards of 20+ year old cards. I think grading something of the modern era is dumb. Considering how sharp and accurate they are designed now. Just wanted feedback on this new grading service. Thanks for info.
HOFerAutoCollector
if you are getting older cards graded, SCG and BVG are the way to go. Pre 1970 should go for SCG if possible. GAI is a pretty decent grader as well, but still behind Beckett and PSA
Cades
QUOTE(aceecards @ Dec 20 2006, 04:03 PM)
ya know bud...

I have had cards graded by beckett.. and have even hit the mother lode witha crosby rookie...

But.. grading usually starts with high expectations and ends with bitter disappointment.. In fact of the 20+ cards I have had graded that I thought might be 10's.. only 2 came back that way.

I have friends that have every major rookie they pull graded.. what do they have to show for it.. a stack of 9.0 and 9.5's that nobody really pays a premium for. yes they have assembled great collections of rookies.. but if it added no value.. why do it.

Go to a show and watch a grader work..then go home and try it yourself.. If you find a 10 send it in..!

Same here, I was thinking about it here and there, but at 10+ bucks a pop (if you send in a decent amount) and really only anything over 9.5 will jack up the price enough to make it worthwhile. Now if they are for PC type cards then it may be worth it to send some in in hopes of getting a 10.

But yeah if I was going to grade something it would go to BGS or PSA
autocut
QUOTE(chopinalex @ Dec 20 2006, 03:48 PM)
Hello I saw this grading site on my cardboard news newsletter. Its real cheap and im thinking about it but I never heard of it and the card holders look really cheap. Anyone have experience with this grading system. The guy is suppose to be a very experienced grader, frank garo. cant

www.arrowgrade.com

You get what you pay for. I'm strictly SGC myself.

This was definately a thing of beauty:
user posted image

smile.gif
chopinalex
Well I guess ill stick to ebay then for graded cards.
finestkind
QUOTE(chopinalex @ Dec 20 2006, 03:48 PM)

www.arrowgrade.com

I don't own any graded cards. But you have 2 words right. Cheap. I don't mean you're cheap. Like the others said. You get what you pay for.
chopinalex
QUOTE(finestkind @ Dec 21 2006, 12:00 AM)
I don't own any graded cards. But you have 2 words right.  Cheap. I don't mean you're cheap. Like the others said. You get what you pay for.

so your saying this guy who has graded 100,000 cards since 1972 isnt as good as some beckett guy who has been doing it a few years?
finestkind
How long has this company been around ? And how many people do they have working for them and how many have they graded ? Look at Ebay's completed auctions for that company.
autocut
QUOTE(chopinalex @ Dec 21 2006, 01:04 AM)
so your saying this guy who has graded 100,000 cards since 1972 isnt as good as some beckett guy who has been doing it a few years?

Has nothing to do with how many cards he's graded. Be more concerned about how many cards he graded accurately.
BIGIRON
Why are my alarm bells in my head going off on this one? I could say anything on the internet and print and no one would no if I were lying or not. Im officially announcing that Im a grader! sure thats it! ive graded hundreds no thousands no millions of cards, yea thats the ticket. So send me your most prized cards and ill sell them I mean grade them and then send them back. The line for the suckers I mean customers forms to the left.
chopinalex
well he is supposedly an expert that has offerrd advice to topps and fleer...by the way BIGIRON I am batman in my off time. smile.gif
chopinalex
arrowgrade still alive !!!
bigalexx
Wow, is chopinalex back in his "Dig up old threads" phase?
whatwild
I just looked up his site.....

I really dont think Id ever send any cards to him...Plus + someone said above you get what you pay for..Besides, it looks really cheap and I think I can do a job like that myself..

chopinalex
QUOTE(finestkind @ Dec 21 2006, 01:09 AM)
How long has this company been around ? And how many people do they have working for them and how many have they graded ? Look at Ebay's completed auctions for that company.

have you seen the guys who grade beckett cards? There like 30 years old..how much experience can you have at 30...

Grading is a joke!
www.fpcards.com
Well..... I'm 35 and have been collecting/selling vintage since I was 13. Age has nothing to do with it. If is about being taught and learning how to grade cards.
I'll never forget a young guy on another trade site who when talking to me about my Clemente rookie said "The card isn't EX unless it is graded and they say it is"
It is that kind of warped thinking that has crippled the hobby. We carry some graded when it comes in at the right price but we'd never seek it out. Grading is simply the opinion of a (hopefully) educated person who applying the standards of condition to a given card.
These days grading does give some level of comfort when buying a high $$ item on the internet because if a graded says it is NRMT, it probably won't show up at your house with a crease in it.
But when buying in person my advice to everyone is, save your money by avoiding slabbed cards at inflated prices, learn how to grade yourself and don't fall into the trap of being lazy that you need some anonymous person at PSA/BGS to tell you what condition your cards are. Part of the fun of collection vintage is grading them yourself.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.