Help - Search - Member List - Calendar
Full Version: Moving TCC to a Private Server
Collector Zone > TCC Features > News and Announcements
Pages: 1, 2
bob_TCC
Right before Thanksgiving, we were notified that TCC had reached a traffic and activity level that requires the site to be moved to a hosting solution that provides a significant increase in resources. This new solution will not only better support our current traffic, but will allow for our continued fast growth.

Over the last several days, I have been working on setting up our own Virtual Private Server (VPS) to host the site as well as the process for moving the site in a way that maintains all data and minimizes any downtime.

So, at this time, we're ready to proceed with moving to the new VPS. This move will begin tonight at 12:30 AM EST. The actual move should be finished in less than 2 hours.

During that period, we need to take the forums offline in order to freeze the data and move it over as well. Please be assured that no data will be lost during this transfer.

The move also requires updating of our DNS settings (numbers that help the Internet know how to find the computer that is hosting any given web site). It can take between 24-48 hours for the entire Internet to become aware of DNS updates. Because of this, over the next couple of days, you will likely notice that the site is actually displaying as a number (IP address) in your browser instead of the standard tradingcardcentral.com URLs.

Thank you for your understanding as we make this important change.

Bob Williams
President & CEO
TradingCardCentral.com
braves4life1025
bob sorry i do not understand a hting you are doing here so is there anything really important i need to know?
jaderock
Bob,

Good to here...the site is growing at leaps and bounds. What the next move after Virtual Private Server (VPS)?!? laugh.gif unsure.gif
fenway1990
are we not allowed to visit the site during this time
Iplayfootball_90
Very good to hear that TCC has become so popular! Can't wait to see how much traffic we get after the move.
skatalite
QUOTE(braves4life1025 @ Nov 26 2006, 02:21 PM)
bob sorry i do not understand a hting you are doing here so is there anything really important i need to know?

Here's the rundown:

The website is moving to a new home. It needs to pack, move, then unpack. It'll only take about two hours, beginning at the time Bob designated.

So, basically, go to bed on time tonight! tongue.gif
bob_TCC
QUOTE(braves4life1025 @ Nov 26 2006, 03:21 PM)

Translation: You get to go to bed at 12:30 tonight. I don't. tongue.gif

-Bob
2000 rushing yards
thanks for the update!
bob_TCC
QUOTE(jaderock @ Nov 26 2006, 03:22 PM)
Good to here...the site is growing at leaps and bounds. What the next move after Virtual Private Server (VPS)?!? laugh.gif unsure.gif

After a VPS, you would move to a dedicated server.

-Bob
Iplayfootball_90
QUOTE(bob_TCC @ Nov 26 2006, 03:23 PM)
Translation: You get to go to bed at 12:30 tonight.  I don't.  tongue.gif

-Bob

laugh.gif laugh.gif
braves4life1025
lol i will be n bed already for school ok gotcha thanks for translating bob
bob_TCC
QUOTE(fenway1990 @ Nov 26 2006, 03:22 PM)
are we not allowed to visit the site during this time

The site will still be up and running. However, you'll only be able to read things. You won't be able to do things that are changing the underlying data such as posting, uploading images, sending PMs, etc.

-Bob
tro
thanks for leting us know bob
ffman
Unbelievable how fast TCC has grown. Plus, it's nice to know we won't have hours upon hours of downtime like Beckett.
bob_TCC
QUOTE(ffman @ Nov 26 2006, 03:30 PM)
Plus, it's nice to know we won't have hours upon hours of downtime like Beckett.

My personal challenge is to move the entire web site as well as data from 7 databases and have everything up and running again in 2 hours or less, which is at least 1/3 of the time that Beckett needed for "routine maintenance". smile.gif

-Bob
19th Century Indiana Jones
QUOTE(braves4life1025 @ Nov 26 2006, 03:21 PM)

In layman's terms:
Trading Card Central is expanding so rapidly that it can no longer be run from the basement ofan abandoned building, so Bob is setting up shop in a fully equipped Data Center. baby.gif
2000 rushing yards
QUOTE(19th Century Indiana Jones @ Nov 26 2006, 03:53 PM)
In layman's terms:
Trading Card Central is expanding so rapidly that it can no longer be run from the basement ofan abandoned building, so Bob is setting up shop in a fully equipped Data Center. baby.gif

laugh.gif laugh.gif
finestkind
We're in the big time now ! biggrin.gif
bob_TCC
Just completed another test and was able to extract all of the Collector Zone data from the current site, zip it, transfer the zip file to the new site and then import the data into the database on the new site. Total time.... Between 5-10 minutes. smile.gif

-Bob
Hallsgator
Cool! Will the site look and different or operate any differently?
bob_TCC
QUOTE(Hallsgator @ Nov 26 2006, 06:00 PM)
Cool! Will the site look and different or operate any differently?

The site will look exactly the same. In terms of how it operates, I'm expecting that the performance will be even better (not that what we've had any significant problems). Plus, we'll have over 8x the available disk space which means I'll be making another announcement later this week. smile.gif

-Bob
ffman
QUOTE(bob_TCC @ Nov 26 2006, 05:07 PM)
Plus, we'll have over 8x the available disk space which means I'll be making another announcement later this week.  smile.gif

-Bob

Interesting....announcements are always a good thing.
DiaperDandy
Announcements.....interesting....

I guess with the Dedicated server being the next step, Bob needs to go ahead with plans for that 7th bedroom in his home smile.gif

Congrats on the continued Growth!!
kc_royals_fan_5
Sounds complucated. blink.gif I sure don't know what it takes to do all that. unsure.gif Good luck! smile.gif Can't wait to see how it all turns out. biggrin.gif
bob_TCC
QUOTE(kc_royals_fan_5 @ Nov 26 2006, 07:00 PM)
Can't wait to see how it all turns out. biggrin.gif

If things go properly, you'll be wondering if anything was done. wink.gif

-Bob
SinatraKing
Movin on up.........to the east side...........
This is probably one of the best changes to come to TCC, and just in time for the November TRADE A THON, which by the way begins tomorrow. So check out my Photobucket, and updated Freewebs for anything you might need wink.gif biggrin.gif
kooljazz1966
QUOTE(SinatraKing @ Nov 26 2006, 07:16 PM)
Movin on up.........to the east side...........
This is probably one of the best changes to come to TCC, and just in time for the November TRADE A THON, which by the way begins tomorrow.  So check out my Photobucket, and updated Freewebs for anything you might need  wink.gif  biggrin.gif

'Northeast side!! and still getting pushed further and further outside the outer loop!!! biggrin.gif laugh.gif

-Jazzzzzzz
bob_TCC
Just a reminder that this move will begin at 12:30 AM EST.

-Bob
gohran
I think the main aim to seem that nothing happened at all yet everyone will get a better experience at TCC. Onward to the dedicated server HOOOOOOOOOOOO
bob_TCC
This is a 30-minute warning. At 12:30 AM EST, the Community sections of the site will be taken offline for a brief period of time so that the underlying data can be moved to our new VPS.

-Bob
bob_TCC
This is a 15-minute warning.

-Bob
bob_TCC
By the way, click here to view the new site. As you can see, it's completely empty at the moment. We'll see how long it takes to go from empty to an exact copy of the site as of 12:30 AM EST. smile.gif

-Bob
bob_TCC
It's 12:30 AM EST, so the move will begin now.

We'll see you shortly when the site is running on the new VPS. smile.gif

-Bob
bob_TCC
Stop the clock...

The Collector Zone is back online now. smile.gif

-Bob
bob_TCC
Woohoo! I'm already seeing some other faces stopping by as well. The redirect of all traffic at the previous site to the new site seems to be working as planned. biggrin.gif

-Bob
SinatraKing
So nice to be home biggrin.gif
bob_TCC
As a reminder...

The move also required updating of our DNS settings (numbers that help the Internet know how to find the computer that is hosting any given web site). It can take between 24-48 hours for the entire Internet to become aware of DNS updates. Because of this, over the next couple of days, you will likely notice that the site is actually displaying as a number (IP address) in your browser instead of the standard tradingcardcentral.com URLs.

-Bob
finestkind
I like it ! biggrin.gif
bob_TCC
QUOTE(finestkind @ Nov 27 2006, 01:52 AM)
I like it !  biggrin.gif

Yes, that went rather smooth. cool.gif

The speed seems great as well. We'll obviously get a good test later today as we get our standard 250-350 members and guests on at the same time.

-Bob
bob_TCC
It looks like lots of you are finding your way back today - just having to login again when you first hit the new site.

At the moment, I am looking into e-mail notices since it appears that some members will not be able to receive them until the DNS settings are fully updated. Has anyone received any Collector Zone e-mail notices since the move though?

If anyone notices any other issues, please just let me know. wink.gif

-Bob
msuwendy
Looks like everything is working fine!

Bob.....take a bow! Thank you for all the time and energy that you put into TCC!

smile.gif
finestkind
I was onsite about 1:30am this morning and all was peachy then. biggrin.gif
acampione
everything works fine
aceecards
hmmmm..

I wanted to change my avatar.. but it wont let me..!!

I even tried the old one I deleted but get sorry an error occurred..

Not a big deal.. im sure you have ten thousand other problems!!
bravesfan09
i like the new server it has let me access every time iv attempted to
bob_TCC
QUOTE(aceecards @ Nov 27 2006, 01:03 PM)
hmmmm..

I wanted to change my avatar.. but it wont let me..!!

I even tried the old one I deleted but get sorry an error occurred..

Try it now, Steve. I just had to change permissions on one folder. As you can see, I just changed my avatar. wink.gif

-Bob
bob_TCC
QUOTE(bravesfan09 @ Nov 27 2006, 01:14 PM)
i like the new server it has let me access every time iv attempted to

Cool! cool.gif

It will be interesting to see if this eliminates the minor issue where some members would occasionally have to refresh their browser to get the site to reload.

-Bob
aceecards
It worked..

Yankeey2
Nice job Bob, Thanks for making TCC better than it already is! smile.gif
kc_royals_fan_5
So far, everything looks good. Let's hope it stays that way. smile.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.