Help - Search - Member List - Calendar
Full Version: oh my
Collector Zone > Collector Corner > Mail Day
aceecards
maybe the most stupendous mail day of all time!!

consider it an investment in the future of days past!
THUNDER9
Lions and Tigers and Bears?
aceecards
user posted image
aceecards
user posted image
aceecards
user posted image
aceecards
user posted image
aceecards
user posted image
aceecards
user posted image
aceecards
user posted image
aceecards
user posted image
aceecards
user posted image
aceecards
user posted image
aceecards
user posted image
aceecards
user posted image
aceecards
user posted image
aceecards
user posted image
aceecards
user posted image
aceecards
user posted image
aceecards
and for those of you going huh.. there is one missing doofus..

well it doesn't fit in a 9 page pocket anymore

user posted image
redwing40
Blast from the past, nice cards, I use to watch the Pistons back in that era, cool seeing the old guys again, Man Vinnie Johnson and Dumars where awsome 3 point shooters. Thanks for sharing some cool mail smile.gif
aceecards
I think fleers photographers mustve been stationed in La.. note all the clippers and lakers shots!

its really quite humorous considering the two Jordan shots are against the nets..

aceecards
QUOTE(redwing40 @ Nov 11 2014, 08:44 PM)
Blast from the past, nice cards, I use to watch the Pistons back in that era, cool seeing the old guys again, Man Vinnie Johnson and Dumars where awsome 3 point shooters. Thanks for sharing some cool mail smile.gif

cool mail?

The most iconic basketball set maybe ever produced!

I am so deflated..

redwing40
There's the Jordan, wow, nice grade!
booth9919
The best basketball set by far! Ridiculous addition.
Rabs
Very nice...my only question is how did you get mail today on Veteran's Day??? biggrin.gif
aceecards
QUOTE(Rabs @ Nov 11 2014, 10:44 PM)
Very nice...my only question is how did you get mail today on Veteran's Day???  biggrin.gif

whaaa ??

it came Monday

but fedex and ups worked veterans day!
bravesfan09
QUOTE(aceecards @ Nov 12 2014, 06:28 AM)
whaaa ??

it came Monday

but fedex and ups worked veterans day!

And kids went to school which was ridiculous! But not as ridiculous as that Jordan!
aceecards
a shout out to mrkjnl who helped facilitate this with his dad!

sasports
AMAZING! I would love to see mail like that in my lifetime!
Kmart6nets
jawdrop.gif jawdrop.gif jawdrop.gif

Oh my GOD

In my opinion the greatest most awesomest set ever made, EVER. Easily. And the most iconic basketball card EVER by a mile. Wow wow wow wow wow. I've been jealous of your cards before Steve but this takes the cake by a LOT. Wow. Have I mentioned wow?

WOW.

Insanely awesome adds - they all look to be in great shape too. AH so jealous.

CONGRATS on the amazing awesome additions!!!
bravesfan09
QUOTE(sasports @ Nov 12 2014, 12:09 PM)
AMAZING!  I would love to see mail like that in my lifetime!

Not gonna happen Shawn laugh.gif

I cant even get my hands on a $100 card laugh.gif
aceecards
have a great story to share too!

but .. that will have to wait until i can get to it!
cbware88
Wow!!!! I'm speechless so I'll just give you my "OMG!!!! Wish that stuff happen to me" thumbsup thumbsup.gif
captkirk42
Wow. Must have cost BILLIONS AND BILLIONS. biggrin.gif
aceecards
QUOTE(captkirk42 @ Nov 12 2014, 09:22 PM)
Wow. Must have cost BILLIONS AND BILLIONS. biggrin.gif

not even yet

but was a pretty penny

I did a lot of research on this set, youd be surprised at how affordable it is to assemble

your can get 1-132 less the MJ for around $250-300 ungraded and usually get the sticker set minus MJ included with that.

The MJ, if you are willing to be on the authenticity of an ungraded one can be had for $300 but why play for that kind of money, BGS or PSA 8's are available for the same price, 9 go for about $900 with psa being cheaper 9.5 and higher is the big time cash outlay

I had 3 different chances to buy the whole set with the 11 stickers , with a few graded key cards ewing, Jordan 9.0, barkley dumars and one had a graded Jordan 9.0 sticker for $1400.00. I think the ewing and dumars were 9.5 and the barkley a 9.0

could have negotiated down from there.

Don't let ebay scare you off, those prices are negotiable and odds are at a local show you could easily find a similar deal that I had passed on.

Again , youd be shocked how many dealers at shows are setting on this set watching it come down in price as more and more unopened stuff gets popped and it grows more plentiful . and with the counterfeit stuff out there , buyers are really scared.

So you talk about $1,000 mail days. Yeah it was and then some. But I know its authentic, Its in great shape and had been cared for. I wanted it for many years.

I didn't buy any ginter this year so I have a couple of grand put back for specific things Ive always wanted.

I went into this expecting to pay $3500 to $5,000, but It is no longer that high or that valuable.

Again Im not misleading you or telling you fibs that there ARE $1400 complete sets out there with graded key cards which relieve the counterfeit worries and kill the bird in one shot.

Will it retain that value? I think it can only move back up with all the key rookies so if this is the low point and it very well might be, you may want to start saving those pennies and make a move now.

Im now looking for the 70-71 Topps hockey set I always wanted and a Bobby orr rookie from 65-66

and I still want to get the topps football set with bradshaws rookie I thinks its 70-71

and finally ive always wanted to get a complete set of the 1971 topps super baseball, ive got like 4 packs worth including mays, clemente and aaron but I want the whole set!

Kmart6nets
I've noticed the same thing Steve - while the MJs in the set will obviously skew things like crazy; it's really NOT that unattainable of a set. I'd like to complete it one day (it's a major stretch goal of mine) and seeing yours like this has made me itchy.
aceecards
I could've bought 1-132 less the jordan and the 11 stickers for $350 ungraded with an empty wax wrapper..LOL

that is a nice start and gets you one of the elusive jordans

then you can shop and stop and look at graded jordans and pick your price.

I actually found an ebay i couldve completed the whole set with a jordan graded a 6 by psa for

are you ready for this..

$660.00 including shipping.

Search 86-87 fleer and sort by cheapest first

then search 86-87 Jordan graded and sort by cheapest!

they may both still be there!

Again i had reached an arrangement in principal with mrkjnl and his dad and those who know me , know that i stand by my principals. I paid a little more than i couldve but loyalty and honor had to be followed even after my research told me otherwise!

captkirk42
Thanks for the tips Steve. I'm not sure if I want a full set or just the Bullets and Key Rookies. Getting the full set minus MJ is a good idea. Who knows maybe when I search for the set I'll do that (it isn't a huge prioirty right now though).

Reminds me of the pride I felt when I got the complete 1982 Topps Traded Baseball set w/ the Cal Ripken Jr. RC (not graded but is in separate screwdown or magnetic touch case and in Ex shape) and the box for a steal of $75. The Ripken alone starts near that just on its own sometimes in less than good condition.

It pays to do some shopping around, and sometimes just watching the situation for several months.
aceecards
QUOTE(captkirk42 @ Nov 13 2014, 04:59 PM)
Thanks for the tips Steve. I'm not sure if I want a full set or just the Bullets and Key Rookies. Getting the full set minus MJ is a good idea. Who knows maybe when I search for the set I'll do that (it isn't a huge prioirty right now though).

Reminds me of the pride I felt when I got the complete 1982 Topps Traded Baseball set w/ the Cal Ripken Jr. RC (not graded but is in separate screwdown or magnetic touch case and in Ex shape) and the box for a steal of $75. The Ripken alone starts near that just on its own sometimes in less than good condition.

It pays to do some shopping around, and sometimes just watching the situation for several months.

well I did about 4 weeks of solid research

talked to local guys who had the set, looked at past ebay sales.

All too often we pull up ebay and get sticker shock for a buyer or have dollar signs flash in front of us as a seller just based on the "perfect matches" that come up
Gforce083
That's unbelievable Steve!

True story, grade school buddy of mine had that complete set and was bored one long summers day and choose that set, over a couple late 88,89,90, 91 baseball set to take down to the creek and race the cards down the nearby creek..... including the Jordan. (No I wasn't there)
jaderock
Glad you did your research Steve...great pickup
aceecards
thanks im still admiring it.. tongue.gif
ffman
Nice pickup Steve!
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.