Help - Search - Member List - Calendar
Full Version: Symbol of Courage
Collector Zone > Collector Corner > Steals
captkirk42
From Ebay I got a 1959 Topps Baseball 550 Symbol Of Courage Roy Campanella card. The card is in what I would say is Pretty Good to Very Good condition, the dealer had it marked as being in Fair to Good condition.

user posted image

and the back:
user posted image

user posted image
Nope didn't get it for that little, but I would love to have. That is the penny sleeve it was in, it was also in a toploader but I scanned it naked.

I got it for (hold on to your seat) $24.99 Shipping was FREE. I have seen it listed on Ebay with starting bids of twice or three times as much sometimes in much worse condition. Copies in better condition I could see paying a bit more heck I might have even gone up another 5 bucks but $30-$40 is my upper limits for a single card at this time.

I got two other cards with it:
1963 Post Cereal Baseball 131 Frank Robinson Reds (No stripes on hat variation) $12.99
1964 Topps Baseball 167 Rookie Stars Senators Mike Brumley and Lou Piniella $7.99
pwolantern
Nice pick up
northicehero99
Nice card, what makes it so valuable, is it an SP?
captkirk42
QUOTE(northicehero99 @ Mar 7 2013, 01:00 PM)
Nice card, what makes it so valuable, is it an SP?

Brian,
Not SP just late 50s vintage baseball card of a HOF. I realize since you are mostly Hockey you probably don't know much about baseball and its players but during the 50s Roy Campanella was the Brooklyn Dodgers equivalent to the Yankees Yogi Berra. Both have 3 MVP awards for their respective leagues twice they both won it the same year. A car accident crippled him ending his career.
northicehero99
QUOTE(captkirk42 @ Mar 7 2013, 01:47 PM)
Brian,
Not SP just late 50s vintage baseball card of a HOF. I realize since you are mostly Hockey you probably don't know much about baseball and its players but during the 50s Roy Campanella was the Brooklyn Dodgers equivalent to the Yankees Yogi Berra. Both have 3 MVP awards for their respective leagues twice they both won it the same year. A car accident crippled him ending his career.

OK. I knew the name, but just was wondering. Thanks.
aceecards
nice card i used to own a nice gem mint one that got stolen at a show
captkirk42
QUOTE(aceecards @ Mar 7 2013, 08:39 PM)
nice card i used to own a nice gem mint one that got stolen at a show

OUCH mad.gif *sigh* Unfortunately thieves do show up at shows along with real law abiding collectors.

It is ironic that on this board we use the term "steal" to mean a "really sweet deal".
droubaysports
I'd like to add as well the lore of this card as Roys last game played was also the Dodgers last game in Brooklyn
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.