Help - Search - Member List - Calendar
Full Version: Favorite set you've completed or trying to finish.
Collector Zone > Collector Corner > Hobby Talk
finestkind
I know there are not too many set builders on TCC. For that matter, I don't see too many set builders on most sports card forums. So, here's your chance to tell everyone about your 1 favorite set. You never know, someone just might have the last card you need to finish that set. It can be any sport.

My #1 set is the 1967 baseball set.
I like it because the fronts have nice clear pictures of each player. The back of the cards are not an eyesore to look at with the green ink and the stats are pretty easy to read. Does anyone actually read the stats on any sports cards ? The only time I do is to see if I have a error card or misprint card. tongue.gif My set is almost complete. I'm still trying to upgrade one card. #535 Donn Clendenon. Other wise, my set is complete. Then only 23 more baseball sets to finish and a 1970 Topps football set. I've only been working on the 1967 set since 1995. laugh.gif

The only thing I don't like about the set is. 99.9% are posed pictures of the players.
rafa20440
Well I just recently started completing Topps Chorme sets, 2010- present. Last year I attempted the chrome autos as well and I'm still trying to finish it I only need the Tebow auto and Dez Bryant.

Reason I attempted the set was to get more into the hobby as I wasnt buying much the previous years.
finestkind
How many cards are in that set ? The 1967 set had 609 cards. I ended up buying the Tom Seaver rookie the same year he was elected to the hall of fame.
rafa20440
WOW!! 609?

The chrome regular set has 220 w/o Sp's plus the 40 Rookie Autos.

faulkrules
2007 Leaf Limited football - I have all of the base, RCs, RC autos, and a lot of the RC AU GU/99. Need most of the big ones still (Peterson, Johnson etc.)

RC AU GU /99
finestkind
QUOTE(rafa20440 @ Mar 20 2012, 11:21 PM)
WOW!! 609?

1989 Upper Deck baseball had 800 cards in the set. Then a few years ago, they produced a Yankee's only set with 1200 cards in the set. I only heard of a few people that ever finish that one. blink.gif I don't know how Topps ever came up with making and odd number of cards in a set. The late 80's and the mid 90's they started making baseball sets with 792 cards.
northicehero99
Wow, I have built a lot of sets. Some of my favorites: 09-10 Champs Hockey with 580 card of which 480 are short printed minis with only 2 per hobby box pack, the last few years of OPC sets 07-08 through 10-11 with the toughest being 08-09 OPC 800 card set as the Update portion was released as packs rather than a whole set, that one took a while to complete, I still have not completed 10-11 as they put update cards in this year's product for last year's set and I have not bought any. Will have to think about this as there were a lot more.
finestkind
QUOTE(northicehero99 @ Mar 21 2012, 06:01 AM)
Wow, I have built a lot of sets. 

Brian, about how many sets have you done. Just a guess will do. tongue.gif
tyrodsports
my one and only hand collated set was 1997 Bowmans Best Football, Mirror Image Refractors....I loved that set for so many reasons, eye appeal, player focus,etc
Gforce083
1995 UD SP All-Pro Die Cuts (Silver) I'm also 4 cards from finishing the Gold but I guess that's no longer a priority of mine. I loved these cards as a kid and got excited any time I pulled one... finally finished it last year. The Favre and Faulk have been with me since 1995.

user posted image
aceecards
I TOO LOVE THE CHAMPS HOCKEY LIKE BRIAN.. only I did both years and am working on the parallels from the 2nd year and the gu and auto minis!

Silly me..

Ive been thinking about the undertaking of a lifetime that is at least realistic.

the 1997 UD NFL Legends auto set
urbanmonk
QUOTE(aceecards @ Mar 21 2012, 12:49 PM)

Ive been thinking about the undertaking of a lifetime that is at least realistic.

the 1997 UD NFL Legends auto set

That would be a challenge with all those SPs, I'm still trying to finish the Parkhurst Champions one I started.
northicehero99
QUOTE(finestkind @ Mar 21 2012, 06:11 AM)
Brian, about how many sets have you done. Just a guess will do. tongue.gif

Probably two-three hundred? unsure.gif I did a ton of sets in the 1990s and in the last ten years, but I don't have an exact count. I am sure, however, that I have several hundred others that need cards. laugh.gif laugh.gif
finestkind
Very impressive Brian. biggrin.gif
northicehero99
QUOTE(aceecards @ Mar 21 2012, 02:49 PM)
I TOO LOVE THE CHAMPS HOCKEY LIKE BRIAN.. only I did both years and am working on the parallels from the 2nd year and the gu and auto minis!

Steve, how close are you now on the parallels? You are a lot closer than I am on those, however I did complete the greens. Of course we both would be insane if we were trying to complete the color backed minis. laugh.gif

08-09 Champs I completed the oversized and I am putzin with the minis when I find them. laugh.gif That stuff got expensive per box, so it went out of my price range and just not a lot of people cracking it and with as many as I needed, I decided to go to something a little less challenging or pricey. laugh.gif

northicehero99
QUOTE(urbanmonk @ Mar 21 2012, 03:37 PM)

I'm still trying to finish the Parkhurst Champions one I started.

I got that one completed, thankfully. laugh.gif

Still trying to finish the minis from the 11-12 Parkhurst. Got the base set with sps done, just need Brett Hull regular mini to complete it, and about 7-8 of the green backs minis to complete those.
RGBII
Very tough call here.

I really admire this one though . . .

2008 Topps Allen & Ginter

I have acquired . . .

The 350 card Base set
The 350 card regular back mini set
The 350 card A & G Ad back mini set
The 350 card Black Border Mini Set
The 50 card State Set
The 50 card World's Leaders mini set
The 15 card N43 Boxtopper set
The 5 card Baseball Highlights Cabinet set
The 5 card Historical Battles Cabinet set
The 20 card World's Greatest Victories set
The 5 card World's Deadliest Sharks set.
The 5 card Pioneers of Aviation set
The 10 card Team Orange set
The 17 card Baseball Icons set
94 of the 114 Relic cards
37 of the 59 Autographs
30 of the 50 Mini Exclusive cards (only found in Rip Cards)
3 Wood Cards 1 of 1's
9 1 of 1 Topps Vault Blank Back Press Proof Cards
2 Red Ink Autos #'d to 10
18 Cloth Cards #'d to 10
80 No Number minis (with 5 dupes)
34 Bazooka Backs (hand numbered to 25)
The 23" x 36" Allen & Ginter David Wright Advertising Poster
The 23" x 36" Allen & Giter Albert Pujols Advertising Poster

I'm still chasin' it and enjoying the cards as
much as I did at its' release date.

Collect Hard!,
RGBII
aceecards
I have every topps set ..all sports... from 1970-1982 ish i think maybe 83

thats football, basketball, hockey, and baseball.

Include all the kelloggs sets from 71-82 ish also.

Then set building left me..and then TCC came along.

and I have completed over 100 sets in the 2000's

I have the 97 ud nfl legends base and dual pro things , dont have the big game hunters but have a nice start with 40+ autos already!

Again.. debating.

Champs..hmmm

I got the base and green done.. am 4 or 5 away from red and 30+ from yellow and 70+ from animals yellow.

Minis.. I got a ton of parallels but again Im not "richard" crazy for those.

Just like Ginter Im happy to have one set of base and one set of minis.. I do pick up the parallels for Ginter when I see them!
finestkind
Steve, Umm wow. smile.gif
Krusin
I love all of the sets I've collected, some favorites are linked below.

Favorite fb Jersey set No Autos
2000 UD Legends Jerseys, 46 regular, 2 Special Edition, & the Dual Marino/Elway

Favorite f/b Patch set (No Auto) (missing a 1/1 of Edgerrin James) mixed serial number runs
2003 Playoff Honors Plates

Favorite fb Dual Relic set (No Auto)
2001 Honors Game Day Souvenirs, Dated Game Used relics, xx/25

Favorite fb Autograph set,
1999 UD SP Signature auto's
have 130 of the 133 card set, need Eddie George, Jeff George & Tim Couch.

Favorite Hockey set
2006/07 UD SPA Rookie autos

Favorite College GU set
2003 Playoff Honors, Alma Mater Materials

Link to old thread with more Set pic's
aceecards
QUOTE(Krusin @ Mar 21 2012, 08:13 PM)
I love all of the sets I've collected, some favorites are linked below.

Favorite fb Jersey set No Autos
2000 UD Legends Jerseys, 46 regular, 2 Special Edition, & the Dual Marino/Elway

Favorite f/b Patch set (No Auto) (missing a 1/1 of Edgerrin James) mixed serial number runs
2003 Playoff Honors Plates

Favorite fb Dual Relic set (No Auto)
2001 Honors Game Day Souvenirs, Dated Game Used relics, xx/25

Favorite fb Autograph set,
1999 UD SP Signature auto's
have 130 of the 133 card set, need Eddie George, Jeff George & Tim Couch.

Favorite Hockey set
2006/07 UD SPA Rookie autos

Favorite College GU set
2003 Playoff Honors, Alma Mater Materials

Link  to old thread with more Set pic's

And the beautiful displays to boot.

finestkind
QUOTE(aceecards @ Mar 21 2012, 08:36 PM)
And the beautiful displays to boot.

Yes they are. smile.gif
crpalmi
When I was young (teenager) I was big into FB prior to cards being very popular and I completed sets from 1956-1978 with the exception of 64 and 65. Then girls came into play and I sold almost everything at a garage sale no less and raked in about $400 for it all! Boy would I take that deal back again.

Just 2 years ago my son showed interest in cards so I set out on trying to complete every Baseball Topps set from 1957-1985. I figure it's something we can do together and it will be a nest egg for him when he discovers girls himself. Started with lots of lots to get started but it will be a long project. So far my favorite that is complete is the 1971T set...classic set but a bear to complete in decent condition.
athopesend
wowzers, alot of great stuff there. I guess I can say I am trying to complete any Score/Select autos and parallel sets but a long ways away from even being close on any of those. I have also started on a master set of 08 Masterpieces Football, good start on those but still need alot more. I also have numerous base sets complete excluding rookies and have fallen way off track keeping up with those and hopefully someday I will get all of those updated to get them finished.
dielonthug
Krusin those are awesome sets.
I am currently working on the 2008 gridiron gear base set patches ( I have around 40?/73) I honestly wish I never wouldve started this set though, too big for a first set choice.

The set that I started awhile ago is the 2005 honorable signatures auto set. 25 card set, still need many of them, really like the design.
pokerstar6
I actually need the Red Schoendienst bat card in 2001 Bowman Heritage to have completed the master set, minus promo's. I still need 4 of the 5 promo's. This will be my favorite set when finished.

Currently my favorite set I've finished is the 2002 Sweet Spot Classics Autograph Set. Lots of SP's of big names in it and the Sandy Koufax card that's in my profile pic is one of my all time favorite cards.

Also, I wanted to start on a PSA 8 or better 86 Fleer Basketball set until I just purchased an entire PSA 8 set along with a PSA 8 sticker set. Big mail day tomorrow when it arrives! smile.gif
finestkind
QUOTE(pokerstar6 @ Mar 21 2012, 09:25 PM)
Also, I wanted to start on a PSA 8 or better 86 Fleer Basketball set until I just purchased an entire PSA 8 set along with a PSA 8 sticker set. Big mail day tomorrow when it arrives! smile.gif

Scans ! Please. wink.gif
ffman
It's not your typical "set", but my favorite complete set is my 500 Home Run Club game-used card collection. Thanks to the help of very generous TCC members, I was able to acquire the hardest pieces that had eluded me (Mantle, Ruth, Ott). I have one game-used card of every 500 Home Run Club member.
pokerstar6
QUOTE(finestkind @ Mar 21 2012, 10:42 PM)
Scans !  Please.  wink.gif

One great day with this arrival smile.gif

user posted image
northicehero99
Nice set of graded, that is unbelievable how many you have.
osufan2383
2005 bowman football-This set had amazing rookies Alex Smith, Rodgers, Gore, Jacobs, and more.
redwing40
This about the only set Im trying to finish, 03-04 Parkhurst Original 6 Detroit Red Wings Set,
Need only 4 more to complete

Cards needed..

I have about 20 sets unfinished from the early 90s Hockey products, just gave up!
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.