Help - Search - Member List - Calendar
Full Version: Why do buyers get turnd off with d word BEST OFFER
Collector Zone > Collector Corner > Hobby Talk
skeen
I find it weird people saying im gonna pass where for a fact they havent given counter offers. Im just curious what turns them off?
urbanmonk
If someone feels the asking price is not in touch with reality then they may pass on it. A lot depends on the person, some like to haggle and others don't like to waste their time especially if they feel it will go nowhere. Why you see more posts in an "are you kidding me" Ebay thread than a "Steals" Ebay thread as some people price things insanely (multiples of high book price, 1/1 of a nobody for a lot of money, 90's base cards for book value, etc...). Same as if I feel someone is holding me hostage because it is a PC item I will just say no thanks and walk away (had someone trying to sell me a low end (Victory) base card that had a high BV of $1.50 for $5 dlvd when I can snag GU of same player that I need for same price).
northicehero99
I think there are a lot of factors that could play into someone not offering a counter offer. Sometimes it is as simple as not wanting to offend someone. You want $10, the other person is thinking $5, so they feel they would insult to offer such a low price considering where the first person started.

Others could be factors outside of price, like having an interest and then realizing they spent more than they should have, got hit with an unexpected bill, and so on.

Could also be after they asked they found it cheaper on ebay as they went there to check for ones for sale.

Another thing could be they thought they needed it then realized they have it already. I usually miss this until I get the card in, but sometimes others are on top of it enough to catch it before buying. laugh.gif
sschind
QUOTE(skeen @ Feb 22 2012, 07:18 PM)
I find it weird people saying  im gonna pass where for a fact they havent given counter offers. Im just curious what turns them off?

A little more context might help. Are you talking about after there is communication and you set the asking price or are you talking about and ad or auction with an asking price and BO.

In short if I see or get an asking price that is way over what I am willing to pay I'm not going to bother with an offer. Using Brian's example If you have a card at $10.00 I wouldn't considering offering anything less than $7.50 (75%) and if I am only willing to pay $5.00 I am not going to make that 50% off offer because I feel it would be insulting to you.
dielonthug
A very similar situation just happened to me on COMC. In this situation I was the buyer (i dont sell anything.) I saw a card I wanted that the seller listed for full book value rolleyes.gif (only a 1 dollar card) I offered 50 cents for it. Declined. no counter. makes no sense. I offered 75 cents. declined. no counter. I could just say screw it, and buy it, it is only 24 cents more, but I wont give him the satisfaction. classic bad seller.
dodgerblue38501
Maybe its just the area I'm in but people have no problem making offending low ball offers every day. I have tons of singles priced at or below eBay prices and that still isn't cheap enough for some folks. mad.gif
sschind
QUOTE(dodgerblue38501 @ Feb 25 2012, 12:58 AM)
Maybe its just the area I'm in but people have no problem making offending low ball offers every day. I have tons of singles priced at or below eBay prices and that still isn't cheap enough for some folks.  mad.gif

Oh no Chad, its not just your area. People around here have no trouble making insulting lowball offers either. Its just that I try not to be one of them.

QUOTE(dielonthug @ Feb 24 2012, 09:51 PM)
A very similar situation just happened to me on COMC. In this situation I was the buyer (i dont sell anything.) I saw a card I wanted that the seller listed for full book value rolleyes.gif (only a 1 dollar card) I offered 50 cents for it. Declined. no counter. makes no sense. I offered 75 cents. declined. no counter. I could just say screw it, and buy it, it is only 24 cents more, but I wont give him the satisfaction. classic bad seller.

I don't know if I would say he is a bad seller just because he didn't accept your offer. This would be my feelings on the deal if I were the seller of this card (keep in mind there it would be pretty rare for me to have a card listed at full book.) I have it listed at a dollar that means, for me, I won't take less than 75 cents If you offer me 75 cents right away I may take it or I may counter with say 80 or 85 cents. If you offer me half of what I am asking I would consider that an insulting offer and I would react the same way the seller did, I'd decline and not counter even if you did raise your bid to my minimum (75%) Keep in mind what is lowball and insulting may be different to you and the seller and its the sellers feelings you have to avoid bruising. If not dealing with lowballers (at least those I think are lowballers) makes me a bad seller then I suppose I am.

If I was the seller in the case above most likely I would have the card priced at 50 cents or less and most likely I would not take offers on it. I feel that most cards worth your PC should be worth 50 cents. Not that I would pay 50 cents for a Bryan Bulaga Topps common but I wouldn't be selling it for 50 cents either. Now if it were a Gregg Jennings and I needed it and it was on a list of cards available I would pay 50 cents for it. If you had 50 cards I needed at 50 cents each I might offer you $20.00 for the lot only because if I were selling the lot I'd sell it for $20.00

However, if you put something up for best offer without a starting reference I would have no problem giving you a bottom dollar offer because I think that you, as the seller should set the starting point. If you are going to make me do it you can be darn sure it will be low.

Gforce083
QUOTE(dodgerblue38501 @ Feb 25 2012, 12:58 AM)
Maybe its just the area I'm in but people have no problem making offending low ball offers every day. I have tons of singles priced at or below eBay prices and that still isn't cheap enough for some folks.  mad.gif

Dude, come on! All I got is $3 and I really want that Peyton Manning RC Auto... Take it or leave it!
dodgerblue38501
QUOTE(Gforce083 @ Feb 27 2012, 09:34 AM)
Dude, come on! All I got is $3 and I really want that Peyton Manning RC Auto... Take it or leave it!

If you only knew how close to the truth that is around here........ laugh.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.