Help - Search - Member List - Calendar
Full Version: Is it just me or did 2011s football products
Collector Zone > Collector Corner > Hobby Talk
RodgersFan12
I throw Upper Deck out the window instantly because I hate college uniformed cards.

Panini and Topps really hit me where the sun doesn't shine with their illusion of each having a product that was supposedly highlighting legends, hof's and vet's - panini with "timeless treasures" and topps with "gridiron legends" two of easily the WORST products I've ever seen in my collecting years.

Gold Standard? Guranteed on-card patch auto of a 3rd rate scrub.

Absolute? Absolute crap!

Gridiron? Ugh. Call it Scrub sticker auto's 3 per box.

Topps Triple Threads turned into a this year, one auto in each pack caused the product to water down into a box of 2 "hits" consisting of the likes of Blial Powel, Ryan Williams, Luke Stocker, Jerrell Jernnigan, Jamie Harper, amongst others.

Topps Precision @ $150 a box has been a down right insult to the hobby for what I've been seeing pulled out of it. Same goes for you "Plates and Patches" which should be appropriately renamed "scrubs and stickers".

PROFANITY REMOVED

I understand that every product can't be a home run, nor can every box you buy, but I honestly can't remember a year with so many duds as far as products and so many horrible hits as far as boxes.

I get that a lot of it has to do with the weaker rookie class of 2011, aside from a few breakout's there wasn't much to talk about, but the no-name rookie auto's in 2011's products seemed more than usual. And the workout clothes, not even a player in a jersey, just him pre-draft trying out....fantastic...combine ftl.

PROFANITY REMOVED
to veteran auto's? When did it become a bragging right to throw on the box of a product because you had 5 vet auto's each #d to /5??

Not hall of famer's or legends...fricken vet's! Don't get me started on the hall of fame/legend auto's - even the boxes named as such were loaded with nothing but the Alex Green's of the world. (Who? Exactly!)

To be fair, I thought Topps Jumbo was a nice product as well as Topps Chrome. Supreme was decent, hit or miss, but evenly distributed more the way it should be and had a nice mixture of vets and hof's. The only Panini product I enjoyed was Limited - which also has it's share of stinkers but seems to have a more evened odds count like Supreme.

What happened this year? Anyone agree? I love football and will always collect in some fashion, but if any year among the many I've collected has pushed me toward buying single's over boxes 2011 is the pinnacle of that decision.
MaddenRq53
I personally like to refer to Plates & Patches as Jerseys & Redemptions.

I see you have some good arguements here, but some thingshttp PROFANITY REMOVED me off really badly this year. No 2011 Classics? 2010 Classics was one of my favorite products of the year! Gold Standard I'm fine with, and Supreme is cool, but Supreme you get 5 cards for what, close to 100 bucks? I'd rather buy two boxes of Topps Baseball cards for 60 bucks each and have a total of like 700 and something cards! I know it's quality over quantity but at the same time Supreme doesn't have too much quality. You spend 100 dollars and get a 15 dollar card, some base, and a parallel. The only way you're making your money back is if you get a star, star rookie, or legend. And that rarely happens.
osufan2383
I liked some Panini-Prestige,Elite, Rookies and Stars, Gear, Threads, and I actually liked my one pack of Standard (well at least the cam patch auto I got)

Topps-I loved regular Topps, Topp Chrome, Prime, rising rookies,
RodgersFan12
QUOTE(MaddenRq53 @ Feb 14 2012, 04:45 PM)
I personally like to refer to Plates & Patches as Jerseys & Redemptions.

I see you have some good arguements here, but some things ###### me off really badly this year. No 2011 Classics? 2010 Classics was one of my favorite products of the year! Gold Standard I'm fine with, and Supreme is cool, but Supreme you get 5 cards for what, close to 100 bucks? I'd rather buy two boxes of Topps Baseball cards for 60 bucks each and have a total of like 700 and something cards! I know it's quality over quantity but at the same time Supreme doesn't have too much quality. You spend 100 dollars and get a 15 dollar card, some base, and a parallel. The only way you're making your money back is if you get a star, star rookie, or legend. And that rarely happens.

You're right, there have been a ton of redemptions in Plates and Patches, I got one and it doesn't even register on Panini's site as a valid code, I got a double whammy, here's a redemption...enter it...here's a redemption with a code that gets you nothing, sucker! Oye.

I wondered to myself just the other day why there wasn't Classics this year? Panini Donruss Classics product has been around since 2007, I always thought it was a solid product, serial numbered rookies, vet/legend AND rookie auto's, nice jersey's. A shame they canned the product and instead put out a train wreck like timeless treasures.

RodgersFan12
QUOTE(osufan2383 @ Feb 14 2012, 04:54 PM)
I liked some Panini-Prestige,Elite, Rookies and Stars, Gear, Threads, and I actually liked my one pack of Standard (well at least the cam patch auto I got)

Topps-I loved regular Topps, Topp Chrome, Prime, rising rookies,

Can't fault you for liking your box of gold standard, sounds like it held up to it's name for you. I hate Cam, but I can't say I'm against hitting one of his auto's to trade or sell for someone I do like!

I forgot about Elite, I agree, Elite was a nice surprise this year, especially the auto and game-used books.

I just really felt a lot of products lacked a punch or quality control this year. Naturally you will hit bad boxes, but the amount of junk I've seen ripped at the shop by myself, other's , on youtube, on forums, at the local monthly show...it's just nuts. And the reason I made this topic is because this weekend a group of us at the show were just talking about this very subject and how bad we felt 2011 was for football products. Just wanted to see other people's thoughts.
aceecards
Here may be the only comment that answers your questions.

I bought ZERO football this year.

Zero..Nada..zilch.. None..

Not a Lick.

Nothing interested me.

Topps and Panini ruined the market for me with overkill overkill overkill

Redemptions.. HAH! you dont get any of you dont buy any!

I traded for a Newton and Ingram auto.. and I missed NOTHING!

Let me repeat

Zero..Nada.. Zilch.. NOT A ONE!

I have zero piles of worthless base.. I have zero scrubs.. I have zero one color Event worn GU, I have Zero sticker autos and zero redemptions

And I didnt miss a thing!

aceecards
ZERO
sasports
Gentlemen,

This is a family friendly site. Profanity, even implied, is strictly prohibited. Please keep your posts clean and refrain from using any prfane language. Remember we have young collectors on this site as well. If you post somthing and our filter catches it, change it before we see it!

Take a moment to read the site rules thouroughly, if you dont know where to find them, feel free to PM me and I will give you a tour.
MaddenRq53
I haven't bought a box of a HIT-filled box (More than 1 hit) in over a year and a half now. I buy boxes for the base, usually baseball. Football I look at it as why buy the box and hope for this for 100 bucks, when you can buy that exact card for 30... lol
faulkrules
Here is a fun game...

Pick an example box, like '11 Limited ($100 for 3 hits). Now try and get three good hits from the same product on ebay for the same $100. You will easily end up with three things you love. A decent auto, decent patch and decent GU. That's how I have been rolling in 2011...
northicehero99
Your topic is right on point, but I don't think it is limited to 2011 and just football. I vowed not to buy any 2011 football and limit my hockey purchases based on my prior year experiences. The 2010 boxes were not that great other than a few products and that fed my decision to buy no football this year. So far the only football I have purchased is a blaster of Topps Chrome and I have only chased a few hockey products.

I think not buying is the only way you send a message to the manufacturers. You should also contact customer service and voice your opinion that way, if they hear it from enough of us, maybe they will make some changes. If you don't, look forward to a 2012 just like 2011.
RodgersFan12
QUOTE(aceecards @ Feb 14 2012, 06:41 PM)
Here may be the only comment that answers your questions.

I bought ZERO football this year.

Zero..Nada..zilch.. None..

Not a Lick.

Nothing interested me.

Topps and Panini ruined the market for me with overkill overkill overkill

Redemptions.. HAH! you dont get any of you dont buy any!

I traded for a Newton and Ingram auto.. and I missed NOTHING!

Let me repeat

Zero..Nada.. Zilch.. NOT A ONE!

I have zero piles of worthless base.. I have zero scrubs.. I have zero one color Event worn GU, I have Zero sticker autos and zero redemptions

And I didnt miss a thing!

Seems like a route I should take, especially considering I don't chase rookies very often. I'm more a hall of fame, legend and vet guy. Dalton, Locker, and Green are the only 3 rookies I had interest in this year.

QUOTE(faulkrules @ Feb 15 2012, 12:37 AM)
Here is a fun game...

Pick an example box, like '11 Limited ($100 for 3 hits).  Now try and get three good hits from the same product on ebay for the same $100.  You will easily end up with three things you love.  A decent auto, decent patch and decent GU.  That's how I have been rolling in 2011...

No joke, I'm doing this in 2012. I'm taking a break, from breaking.

QUOTE(northicehero99 @ Feb 15 2012, 06:42 AM)
Your topic is right on point, but I don't think it is limited to 2011 and just football.  I vowed not to buy any 2011 football and limit my hockey purchases based on my prior year experiences.  The 2010 boxes were not that great other than a few products and that fed my decision to buy no football this year.  So far the only football I have purchased is a blaster of Topps Chrome and I have only chased a few hockey products. 

I think not buying is the only way you send a message to the manufacturers.  You should also contact customer service and voice your opinion that way, if they hear it from enough of us, maybe they will make some changes.  If you don't, look forward to a 2012 just like 2011.

The problem is I've contacted Panini for various issues many times and they really don't seem to care. They know they don't need little ol' me to keep them going.
Tarasadie17
QUOTE(aceecards @ Feb 14 2012, 04:42 PM)
ZERO

Ditto that. I haven't bought any football wax in over a year now. But I have continued to add on card autographs to my collection... and I have saved a ton buying them individually instead of breaking product...

sschind
I loved it all, anything that would allow me to add to my Packers collection.
northicehero99
QUOTE(RodgersFan12 @ Feb 15 2012, 10:53 AM)
The problem is I've contacted Panini for various issues many times and they really don't seem to care. They know they don't need little ol' me to keep them going.

I agree, Panini does not care. I feel the same way, as I am currently awaiting 5 or so redemptions and that is after I exchanged a few, to my disappointment on the replacements. What is disturbing is that this is not a new company, they have been creating stickers for many years, so that should have had an idea of what collectors want and don't want when they bought Donruss.

They will care, however, when people stop buying boxes!!!
RodgersFan12
QUOTE(northicehero99 @ Feb 15 2012, 12:37 PM)
I agree, Panini does not care.  I feel the same way, as I am currently awaiting 5 or so redemptions and that is after I exchanged a few, to my disappointment on the replacements.  What is disturbing is that this is not a new company, they have been creating stickers for many years, so that should have had an idea of what collectors want and don't want when they bought Donruss.

They will care, however, when people stop buying boxes!!!

I have a plates and patches redemption from this year they won't honor, the number I scratched off isn't in their system and they're telling me it's a bogus number. I'm 30 years old and make decent money, why would I lie about a redemption, especially for Ryan Williams of all players? blink.gif

Before that they made me wait 6 months for a Chris Ivory redemption that I never got, I asked for something of the same value when the 6 months came up - 2 days later they send me the Chris Ivory - likeit was sitting there all a long, that's fine and all had the card not been horribly damaged. Sent it back and have yet to get a replacement..been about 3 months.

Aside from my one slip up with Plates and Patches I've only been buying Topps.
aceecards
2012 Aint looking to good either!

So far.. and I have bought a few loose packs at target of bowman chrome baseball , ya know those $8.99 jobbers that cant be searched.. but the last one of those I bought was so non memorable, I decided to forget where that section is at target.!

I can only hope that the message is getting thru but.. in the meantime.. we will kill our brick and mortar friends before we ever get to the manufacturers and that is sad!

Ebay has picked up incredible volume as the flippers become more desperate! But with lower realized secondary market prices maybe they will leave too!

aceecards
BTW I cannot wait until my latest non sport purchases arrive.. I got some long coveted singles from some of my favorite shows/stars.. It will be a real treat!
19th Century Indiana Jones
Quality control has gone into the dumpster. It really has become a business for these card companies.

""Who cares about a few complaints? Just push the product out and it will sell because we have The Name."
osufan2383
I personally loved 2011 products than gain I hit some big time pulls so I can not complain. also, I think you are overlooking 2011 Press Pass Legends which was a phenomenal product. I mean in mine I pulled a Bruschi, Young, Murray and Locker autos
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.