Help - Search - Member List - Calendar
Full Version: Hobby Idea
Collector Zone > Collector Corner > Hobby Talk
faulkrules
Just a random thought after another disappointing box...

What would it take to make an average collector feel better about breaking a box that does not contain great "hits"? We have been conditioned to think of a box as 2-4 desirable cards (why we buy the box...for the hits) and a bunch of "worthless" base/inserts/parallels that end up in a box or worse. How can the companies make the non-hits more desirable? They cannot simply add lots of low-numbered cards to each box...the number of boxes produced won't allow it. But what if there was a way to make inserts more valuable without any added cost to the company?

Idea:
2011 Product A has a 10-card insert set, star players, each one numbered to 100. (1000 cards total)
A collector who collects all 10 inserts can send them in to be redeemed for some sort of appropriate prize (autograph).
After a set amount of time, the redemption period ends, and the company announces how many 10 card sets were redeemed. Lets say that 25 sets were redeemed. That means that in theory, there are only 75 of each card now left either in collections or unopened.

Now here is where it gets good:
2012 Product A adds 10 more cards to the insert set. The redemption contest re-opens, with 2 options. Turn in all 10 of the 2012 set for a prize similar to last year, OR turn in all 20 (from 2011 and 2012) for a better prize. The 2011 inserts are now more valuable and more scarce.

Sure, it is a complicated concept and there are a lot of problems I am sure. But, what if this concept was applied in a different way???

Let's say Company A put out crappy Product A in 2009. They cannot sell what they have left in stock, and the stores/online retailers have it on sale but nobody is buying. Company A announces a redemption contest just like above for a random insert set in that 2009 product. Now all of a sudden, your junk box of inserts is worth a look through because you might have one, the online stores/shops see a bit more interest, and the company can reduce inventory of something that otherwise would not sell.

This is similar to what happens naturally if a player becomes a big star and their rookie product jumps in price, but in this case the company can CONTROL which products will increase in value.

Thoughts?
Luke2411
Sounds good. I like it.
19th Century Indiana Jones
The word "hostage" comes to mind.
dielonthug
Wow! what an interesting idea...card companies would never think of something like this. lol What would happen to the redeemed insert sets? would they be destroyed? either way, I think it is a novel idea
chiefsfan101
It's a good idea, but where would the prize autos come from? Would the companies have to make a special set of autos for these prizes or would they use cards from expired, unredeemed redemptions?
faulkrules
QUOTE(chiefsfan101 @ Feb 2 2012, 11:47 AM)
It's a good idea, but where would the prize autos come from? Would the companies have to make a special set of autos for these prizes or would they use cards from expired, unredeemed redemptions?

Probably they would have to produce the prizes, and make them something worth getting. The expense of doing this would presumably be offset by increased sales.
THUNDER9
I like your idea, unfortunately the card companies would NEVER go to the trouble to: A)create such a program. and cool.gif Give a flip about what collectors want.
Here is an idea I've had and have yet to share it with anyone. Let me know what you think.
We ALL hate redemptions, and we ALL hate sticker autographs but this redemption program has a unique twist to it. Redemptions for a sticker auto to be applied to a card from your collection (Obviously of the same brand as the redemption) that you would send in to the company with the redemption card. Thus certifying one of your favorite cards with an auto. Sort of the "Cards that never were" type of idea.
Oh well, there it is. My idea.
faulkrules
QUOTE(THUNDER9 @ Feb 3 2012, 09:40 PM)
I like your idea, unfortunately the card companies would NEVER go to the trouble to: A)create such a program. and cool.gif Give a flip about what collectors want. 
  Here is an idea I've had and have yet to share it with anyone. Let me know what you think.
  We ALL hate redemptions, and we ALL hate sticker autographs but this redemption program has a unique twist to it. Redemptions for a sticker auto to be applied to a card from your collection (Obviously of the same brand as the redemption) that you would send in to the company with the redemption card. Thus certifying one of your favorite cards with an auto. Sort of the "Cards that never were" type of idea.
  Oh well, there it is. My idea.

I like it! They would have to stamp it or something, but it would be popular for sure.

And yeah, I am 100% aware that the companies don't care about us. There are lots of great (and obvious) ideas that would make collectors happy. I guess my idea was to have a promotion that would benefit BOTH sides. I don't see how ANY business wouldn't want to try a plan that helps sell old, already produced/distributed product...it is lost money otherwise.

I am growing more and more convinced that the sports card industry is a dying one, and these companies know it. Rather than expand or try to change based on the customers desires, they repeatedly choose to produce as cheaply as possible, and extend efforts only to squeeze money out of us. They put nothing in on a yearly basis, yet prices continue to rise. The bottom line is they treat us like gambling addicts and not like customers.
aceecards
QUOTE(faulkrules @ Feb 4 2012, 12:00 PM)
I like it!  They would have to stamp it or something, but it would be popular for sure.

And yeah, I am 100% aware that the companies don't care about us.  There are lots of great (and obvious) ideas that would make collectors happy.  I guess my idea was to have a promotion that would benefit BOTH sides.  I don't see how ANY business wouldn't want to try a plan that helps sell old, already produced/distributed product...it is lost money otherwise.

I am growing more and more convinced that the sports card industry is a dying one, and these companies know it.  Rather than expand or try to change based on the customers desires, they repeatedly choose to produce as cheaply as possible, and extend efforts only to squeeze money out of us.  They put nothing in on a yearly basis, yet prices continue to rise.  The bottom line is they treat us like gambling addicts and not like customers.

amen
ffman
If only companies would:

1. Make inserts more creative (designs)
2. Make certain inserts harder to pull

Inserts might become more popular again. They could start by replacing some basic game-used sets with creative inserts. Not only would this be something else for set builders and player collectors to chase, but it would also cut down on costs for the card companies.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.