Help - Search - Member List - Calendar
Full Version: 2012 Football RC Value
Collector Zone > Collector Corner > Hobby Talk
chiefsfan101
I was thinking ahead of the 2012 products and thought one thing, the value of Andrew Luck cards will be unreal! I'm thinking along the lines of Bush/Young/Leinart values from 2006. Of course others that will have a high value rate would be RG3, Justin Blackmon, and Trent Richardson. Thoughts on these players and other rookies?
MaddenRq53
Look at Cam Newton cards, Look at how AP's cards were, Look at Reggie Bush's RCs, Look at how Calvin Johnson's cards still go for. The top rookie of every year, whether drafted first or not will be the highest selling card of the year.
chiefsfan101
QUOTE(MaddenRq53 @ Jan 22 2012, 07:54 PM)
Look at Cam Newton cards, Look at how AP's cards were, Look at Reggie Bush's RCs, Look at how Calvin Johnson's cards still go for. The top rookie of every year, whether drafted first or not will be the highest selling card of the year.

Yea, but I'm saying Luck's cards will have an unreal value. Like Bush's cards were in 2006. AP, Cam's and Megatron's cards were no where near what Bush's cards were going for back then.
sschind
QUOTE(chiefsfan101 @ Jan 22 2012, 08:06 PM)
Yea, but I'm saying Luck's cards will have an unreal value. Like Bush's cards were in 2006. AP, Cam's and Megatron's cards were no where near what Bush's cards were going for back then.

Value or price, There is a big difference. To me an unreal value is a card that is relatively inexpensive for the potential. I don't see Luck cards being a particularly good value. If you are saying they will be very expensive (high priced) then I agree.

Bush's cards were hardly a value because I doubt they are worth anything close to day what they were back when they first came out.
chiefsfan101
QUOTE(sschind @ Jan 22 2012, 08:17 PM)
Value or price, There is a big difference.  To me an unreal value is a card that is relatively inexpensive for the potential.  I don't see Luck cards being a particularly good value.  If you are saying they will be very expensive (high priced) then I agree.

Bush's cards were hardly a value because I doubt they are worth anything close to day what they were back when they first came out.

Yea, and when his rookie cards first came out, they both had a high BV and SV, and I'm saying Luck's cards will be like his were then. Obviously Bush's cards have dropped significantly in both values. Only time will tell about Luck's...Whether you trade for or buy Luck's cards his rookie year, you'll be putting up a lot to acquire them.
Solid133
QUOTE(sschind @ Jan 22 2012, 08:17 PM)
Value or price, There is a big difference.  To me an unreal value is a card that is relatively inexpensive for the potential.  I don't see Luck cards being a particularly good value.  If you are saying they will be very expensive (high priced) then I agree.

That's why I never have and never will shell out loads of money on a rookie with hype like Bush, Leinart, Stafford, Luck, etc.. It will go two ways.1 is they end up falling short of expectations lose 80% of the value you purchased the card for. 2 they will be a hot shot rookie but over time the next hot shot rookies will come and the card will never be again worth what you paid for it.
sschind
QUOTE(Solid133 @ Jan 22 2012, 08:56 PM)
That's why I never have and never will shell out loads of money on a rookie with hype like Bush, Leinart, Stafford, Luck, etc.. It will go two ways.1 is they end up falling short of expectations lose 80% of the value you purchased the card for. 2 they will be a hot shot rookie but over time the next hot shot rookies will come and the card will never be again worth what you paid for it.

Just think about the best selling cards of the super hyped rookies. Have they really gone up in price even if he does turn out to be the greatest thing since sliced bread? They come out and they cost a ton and if he is good do they really go up? Actually I'm asking because I don't really know. I don't follow card values. After only 1 year are Cam Newtons cards selling for significantly more than they did when they came out?

If you are going to speculate its probably best to target some low 1st rounder or 2nd rounder or even later who has potential and who's cards aren't going to cost you an arm and a leg to start with. As a Packer fan I'm curious as to what Aaron Rodgers cards were going for when they came out? What about a year or two later? I know now they are pretty high. I'm not sure I would consider him a prime example of what I'm talking about though as even though he was a late first rounder he still had the hype.

dielonthug
Aaron Rodgers is slowly becoming a very good player and his cards RIGHT NOW are becoming extremely valuable. (as you all know) Its rare for a player to have cards exceed their value after their rookie season, but he is a rare case. I remember a couple of years ago 2005 Leaf certified materials (Rodgers rookie year) was selling on blowout for $45 dollars a box exactly, a little over $1000 dollars for a 24 box case. Now blowout lists it at $109.95 a box! $2,574.95 for a 24 box case!!!

Funny thing is blowout had the "super deals" after thanksgiving selling these for around 55-60 bucks lol, still above what they were previously were selling for.
edgerrin32
I think lucks cards will be unreal! Like way higher then anyone other rcs have reached. Just a whole new level. But if he doesn't live up to the hype they will fall flat on there face.

As for Rodgers cards, they are insane right now. Just imagine if he would have played like this his first few years cam in as a starter and all, and made it to the superbowl this year and won. They would be double or triple what they are now or more!!! ohmy.gif
urbanmonk
Few that go nuts hold their value over time, some do go up but that's for the nobody's at that time (Favre RCs when they came out kind of thing). Peyton Manning still sells ok I think, but Randy Moss has dropped down quite a bit. Those two far as ones over time are ones that came to mind but sure there is others. Then there are all the other folks that went thru the roof and then fell thru the basement within a year or two.
sschind
Can anyone think of any players whose cards started out pretty high then dropped and then perhaps made a comeback, maybe not to the initial levels but at least made some gains.

I guess the bottom line is that someone will get burned. It's like a pyramid scheme in a way. The ones who get in quick and get out quicker will make money as the cards go up but anyone thinking profit on a long term investment will most likely be left holding the bag and the worthless, or at least worth less, cards.

For these people I wonder if its a case of just not realizing this or if its a case of not being quick enough to get in on the initial action or if its simply a case of holding on too long.

For the quick, I wonder if those that buy at $1000.00, and sell at $1500.00 get upset when the price hits $2000.00 before it plummets to $500.00 or are they just happy they made their $500.00 and are not stuck with the loss.

Regardless, I find it hard to sympathize with people who lose money this way.

Just curious, what are Matt Flynn's cards doing these days? He's a guy I could see people jumping all over based on the fact that he might be the most coveted FA QB next season and he looked really, really good in that ONE game.
dielonthug
Flynn is selling for surprisingly BIG money. looking at completed listings: a BGS 9.5 national treasures auto sold for 340 bucks.
Solid133
QUOTE(dielonthug @ Jan 24 2012, 10:48 AM)
Flynn is selling for surprisingly BIG money. looking at completed listings: a BGS 9.5 national treasures auto sold for 340 bucks.

Now that makes no sense, the guy has played 2 games and someone is willing to dish out $340, that's neither a good investment or good for PC(could be used elsewhere for better player or multi players)
braves4life1025
Did you happen to see the Andrew Luck Error card?
Said only 30 or so were sold before they realized they spelled his name wrong on the back of the card. They were being sold for 15$ and now that they stopped selling and are remaking them they have sold for 200, 250, 300, and +. Its crazy
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.