Help - Search - Member List - Calendar
Full Version: Buying Card on eBay
Collector Zone > Collector Corner > Hobby Talk
Gforce083
Disclaimer: This is a rant yucky.gif

Over my many years of buying cards on ebay I've always just accepted the fact that you really don't know what you're getting, condition wise. It's always a c-r-a-pshoot when it comes to condition. Sellers claim MINT or NR-MT all the time but then you get the card with a good amount of edge chipping or a soft corner or too...which they failed to mention in the listing. That along with the lack of great pictures of the card, you're left just hoping it's going to be in NR-MT condition. Only to be burned upon arrival.

Maybe I'm too picky about my cards, maybe it's just me, is it? Does it not bother anyone else when they receive a card that's not in the condition they were expecting it to be in? Isn't condition king in this hobby? The slightest amount of damage on modern cards can severely bring down the value of a card, right?

With that said, I have been pretty lax in my eBay feedback. I would usually always leave positive feedback and just let it go. I find that I can no longer do that. Over the past 2-3 months I have been have very bad luck with eBay buys. From the Ken Stabler Classics Auto/Jsy to the Tom Brady Jsy card that was torn...and it's only continued. I have gotten refunds and returned 2-3 cards in the last 2 months. My latest mailday featured a Tomlinson 07 TOTT Jsy/Auto 3/5 that I won for a great price of $27! I thought I had gotten deal. When the card came in, it saw that it had many little edge chips on the left and right edges. The camera flash helps hide these flaws based on the foils reflection of the flash when I photographed it. But in person, they are clear as day. Had the seller made me aware of this in their listing I might not have even bid and I surely would not have bid as much as I did. I was very surprised I got it for only $27 as I bid much more. I ended up leaving the seller neutral feedback and was frankly honest about how I felt in the comments. Here is the resulting conversation:

Dear gforce083,

A little disappointing that you gave me neutral feedback! Wish I would have told you that I bought this card for well over a $100...you robbed me...Thanks alot

- kingofkings-collectibles

Dear kingofkings-collectibles,

I did not force you to post the listing or list it without a reseve price...those were your choices. Based on your listing and how YOU set it up, I happen to win the auction at the price I did. I also did not keep anyone else out in ebay land from bidding higher than me.... it's called market demand and it's simply not there as it used to be in this hobby, considering the current economy. I did not 'rob' you. Secondly, don't list a card as nrmt when it clearly has edge chipping.

- gforce083

Dear gforce083,

Your definitely not getting the point here...you won the card for a cheap price right? why complain that there were any flaws on it if you didnt even pay full price or BV for it? Its common sense...your the reason why society is the way it is! Enjoy your POSITIVE FEEDBACK I GAVE YOU!!!!! KARMA....

Dear kingofkings-collectibles,

Seriously? Do you not realize how important card condition is in this hobby? The smallest chip, surface damage or soft corner degrads the value of a card severely. Maybe you don't get it, but you won't open you eyes to see that because you're too busy defending yourself because you choose to sell a card at a price you didn't see fit. However, considering the condition of the card, the price was just about right. Had I paid much more for it, it would have been negative feedback for an incorrect listing and damaged item. It also doesn't matter if I buy a card for 99 cents for 500 dollars, I want, as most any collecter wants, the card to be in perfect condition. Aside from 1950's vintage, any kind of damage, even the tintest ding on a corner will detract a buyer! Also, Beckett BV means nothing, those prices are so inflated, you must not know the state of this hobby. A card isn't worth it's BV, it's worth whatever the market demands, whatever someone is willing to pay, simple as that. Why people still value the BV listing perplexes me, no one pays BV for any card....because it's such an inflated price. I'm sorry you paid over $100 for this card and lost $75 on it, but that's not my fault. You choose to sell it, you choose to list it so cheap, you choose to list it without a reserve price of what you wanted to sell it for. I did not prevent any of the other millions of ebay users to bid more than me.... if you're upset you lost $75 on a card, don't pass that anger on me when it was you who choose to list it and sell it. Did you call to ###### and moan Beckett when you bought a J Russel Patch/Auto for $200 in 07 when they dropped the BV from $300 to $50? I doubt it...but it's the same logic you're giving me here.... Take the time to learn something from this... accusing a customer of robbing you and saying they are the reason for a decline in society is no way to run a business or treat a customer. Maybe you should stop playing the victim card.

- gforce083

Dear gforce083,

Been in the hobby for over 20 years, you don't have to feed me everything you typed up! I know already...please, this whole conversation is purely based on the fact that you gave me neutral feedback for a great card that you paid nothing for...plain and simple! If i bought this same card from you and realized the corner wear, I still would have given you POSITIVE feedback...why, because I paid $20 for it....Happy Holidays to you too;)

I'm growing very tired of dealing with this. I will admit, I once did sell a Tony Romo patch to MJDA here that had a small crease around the patch window because the patch was so thick. It was hardly noticeable until it caught the light. I failed to make MJDA aware of it and he was not happy when he received the card. We did end up working out in so way or another and I ended up feeling pretty bad about it. Knowing that and knowing how I feel when I get this junk from eBay, I am very clear about any defects a card has now.

How do ya'll see this? Does condition matter to you? Are you honest and blunt with eBay sellers when you get a card not as you expected or do you just let it go?
northicehero99
Dude, I am going to be blunt and honest, you need to change hobbies if you are going to get this ticked off! Honestly, a hobby is for fun. I get your issue, but seriously you are taking the fun out of it, unless you enjoy these "battles". I do look at condition and have been "burned" a few times by damaged cards, heck I just bought a gu out of a box at a show never looking at the back. When I got home I noticed it was creased across the back. It was not that expensive, but still disappointing to find it was damaged as I liked the player. Such is life you live and learn, and now I will try to look more closely before I purchase cards.

Again I get your issue, however also note that those foil cards are notorious for that kind of damage, especially Absolute. Someone else posted recently about their pack pull of a similar nature. Condition is important, so knowing these cards have those kinds of flaws, maybe before you buy another on ebay, you should contact the seller to verify condition? I am not saying you are wrong as I think anyone selling something should make sure they are clear in condition, but one man's trash is another man's treasure, ie one man's not mint may be considered mint by someone else.
road_runner_1964
Gotta agree with Brian on this one Gary. It is easy to get worked up and trust me, I know.

If you know condition is that important to you, be proactive as Brian says and inquire with the seller. Saves you the headache in the long run.
Gforce083
I with ya'll. I'm always willing to look at things from other angels. This is a hobby sure, but it's not a fun hobby when you get beat up cards claimed to be nr-mt condition. Even if it's a hobby, it's still a financial investment. I don't go pay full price for a car that's missing paint, scratched up and has a few dents in it. Money is not disposable for me and hobby or not, it's still an investment.
osufan2383
I agree with the Beckett comment sort of. I think Beckett value is good for trading since you need to have an even trade in terms of monetary value. Also, I think sellers have to do a better job of describing their cards before they put them on Ebay and ebay has to make sure that they have a section where you need to put if there are any blemishes or issues with the cards.
obe459
I understand your concern about the way a seller rates their card compared to what you would rate it, but when it comes to modern cards, you're going to run into this problem. Before handling feedback of an item for a seller, I suggest you contact them. Almost all auction listings ask for a buyer to contact the seller before negative or neutral feedback is left. Ask before you buy too. I understand your anger over the LT TOTT, but you were dealing with an adult seller, unlike your Tom Brady ripped card fiasco, so give them just a little respect. From working in the sales side of the business world, I can guarantee you that no one enjoys being spoken down to and it will not resolve ANY issue in a positive way for both parties involved.
Solid133
I'll play the neutral role and agree with you both lol. On one hand the seller should mention the condition of the card, but trades can happen the same way if the person your trading with doesn't mention any dings or such with the card. On the other hand I think you got more upset than you should just based on the fact that currently with the way these cards are produced, you are just as likely to pull a damaged card from a pack as much as trading/buying one and there is no guarantee the card companies will replace your damaged card with the same one.

In summary, I understand your feelings and would be upset to, but there's no reason to get into an arguement over someone like an eBay seller over something like this, espically considering the price.
MaddenRq53
Happened to me the other day. Didn't specify condition of a 2008 premier auto, has some chipping on the bottom. I PMd him and he said sorry and he didn't notice, also that he'd just send a package of some hits to me to make up for it. You just have to be really nice to them... I commonly use "I am extremely anal/picky/OCD about my cards being in absolute pristine condition..." and so on.
sschind
QUOTE(Gforce083 @ Dec 1 2011, 01:20 PM)
I with ya'll. I'm always willing to look at things from other angels. This is a hobby sure, but it's not a fun hobby when you get beat up cards claimed to be nr-mt condition. Even if it's a hobby, it's still a financial investment. I don't go pay full price for a car that's missing paint, scratched up and has a few dents in it. Money is not disposable for me and hobby or not, it's still an investment.

Very few hobbies are financial investments. True, most have a financial commitment and a few offer a small or even reasonable financial return but in terms of pure investment I think you would be better served to look elsewhere. As long as you are looking at it in that way you will always be setting yourself up for disappointment.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.