Help - Search - Member List - Calendar
Full Version: Annoying redemptions!
Collector Zone > Collector Corner > Hobby Talk
northicehero99
I know this topic has been discussed until all of us collectors are "blue in the face" from holding our breath waiting for things to change. Well, I have to bring it up again since I just got off the phone with Panini and I am not "thrilled" with the result.

I have 4 redemptions outstanding going back to late October last year:

#1 10-11 Certified Jersey Number auto of Jason Spezza #/25 (Oct)
#2 2010 Panini Plates and Patches #171 Max Komar auto #/249 (Feb)
#3 2010 Panini Plates and Patches #221 J Dwyer NFL FB Shield auto #/4 (Feb)
#4 2010 Playoff Contenders Patches (10-11) Devan Ebanks auto not numbered (Apr)

I also have two others which were redeemed more recent, so I left those out of the discussions.

First off Beckett is a bunch of !@#&&#!@ as the OPG stated card #1 only books $15. OK, Spezza is not Sid, but then again he is not Luca Caputi, Craig Adams, either??? In what world is a star player considered common for pricing. My price guide shows commos are $15, but lists Spezza on the Unlisted Star list which would book $25. Based on this I decided to keep on waiting even though it has been 13 months already!

Second card, don't collect him so traded this in, hopefully I will get something worthwhile. Only time will tell. Will update once received.

Third card, no bv available so Panini would have to "appraise" it via Beckett. One can only guess what that one will be worth if Spezza is only $15. Decided I will keep on waiting, probably until the card is worthless since he only plays on the practice squad. Nice expensive pack, but due to the delay in receiving who knows where the chuck-a-luck wheel will land???

Fourth card, bv $12 ugh! Not worth anything, but not worth waiting for so again requested to trade this in. Again, I hope I get something worthwhile. Only time will tell and I will update when I get.

Am I alone with all of these redemptions or are there more of you out there??? It just seems awful strange that I have not had many issues with Upper Deck recently. All my issues seem to be with Panini.

I have 1 outstanding redemption with Upper Deck which say it will be shipped soon and nothing outstanding with Topps.

Sorry for the rant, just venting frustrations and the outdated system.

aceecards
duh..

LOL

I feel your pain but wont rant!
urbanmonk
I'm still waiting on a Crown Royale Hockey one from last year:

Received:
03/23/2011 12:16 PM
by: Panini 2010 Panini Crown Royale
Scratching the Surface Signatures
Redemption: Card #80 ( / 100)
Rene Bourque Calgary Flames

Received:
07/16/2011 3:32 PM
by: Panini 2010 Panini Zenith
Autographed Rookies
Redemption: Card #188 ( / 999)
Marcus Johansson Washington Capitals

Upper Deck:

6/27/2011 2008-09 Be A Player Rookie Redemption #56
Be A Player Rookie Redemption Card In stock, item will be shipped soon. 6/27/2011
Cool_Hand_Flash
Sounds awful..

But try being in a country where you can't redeem them yourself, and you ask a friend whom you think will handle it for you, only to leave the hobby and close all accounts with Panini leaving you with nothing.. Dude I don't even have the waiting-for-my-card thing!! At least you get some thing at the end of the wait, I get diddly doodah..

Oh, and don't even get me started on pulling two, yes two, redemptions in 98 when I knew NO ONE in the states and having them be 100% completly worthless..

There! Get what I'm saying? (I'm actually trying to say that I agree that it's completely moronic that whole redemption stuff laugh.gif tongue.gif )
Solid133
Why did Donruss sell out to this company???? I left the hobby right before they sold their company to Panini and Donruss was my favorite company year in and year out, now that I'm back i've seen nothing but complaints and a flood of redemptions come from them. After I get my 2 boxes of Certified, I'm sticking with UD and Topps and picking up singles of Panini products, maybe they will eventually learn to actually care about the crap products they are providing collectors.
northicehero99
QUOTE(urbanmonk @ Nov 28 2011, 06:45 PM)
I'm still waiting on a Crown Royale Hockey one from last year:

Received:
03/23/2011 12:16 PM
by: Panini  2010 Panini Crown Royale
Scratching the Surface Signatures
Redemption:  Card  #80 ( / 100) 
Rene Bourque  Calgary Flames

Received:
07/16/2011 3:32 PM
by: Panini  2010 Panini Zenith
Autographed Rookies
Redemption: Card  #188 ( / 999) 
Marcus Johansson  Washington Capitals
Upper Deck:

6/27/2011 2008-09 Be A Player Rookie Redemption #56
Be A Player Rookie Redemption Card  In stock, item will be shipped soon.  6/27/2011

Dwight, Rene Bourque signed in so many products I cannot beleive they don't have that one.

And on Johansson, I had a redemption for him in Contenders which came in a reasonable amount of time. Not sure why that would be held up, but probably the same as my Spezza, can put some stuff in packs and make others wait.
northicehero99
QUOTE(aceecards @ Nov 28 2011, 06:16 PM)
duh..

LOL

I feel your pain but wont rant!

Thanks, I kinda figured you would. laugh.gif I was hoping for a rant though. laugh.gif
northicehero99
QUOTE(Cool_Hand_Flash @ Nov 28 2011, 06:53 PM)
Sounds awful..

But try being in a country where you can't redeem them yourself, and you ask a friend whom you think will handle it for you, only to leave the hobby and close all accounts with Panini leaving you with nothing.. Dude I don't even have the waiting-for-my-card thing!! At least you get some thing at the end of the wait, I get diddly doodah..

Oh, and don't even get me started on pulling two, yes two, redemptions in 98 when I knew NO ONE in the states and having them be 100% completly worthless..

There! Get what I'm saying? (I'm actually trying to say that I agree that it's completely moronic that whole redemption stuff laugh.gif tongue.gif )

Not sure what is better. laugh.gif Oh and been there with ain't getting diddly doodah with a company called "FLEER" when they went belly up floating like a dead fish in the sea, was just as smelly too as collectors got a bunch of crud and others bought the "assets".
northicehero99
QUOTE(Solid133 @ Nov 28 2011, 07:22 PM)
Why did Donruss sell out to this company???? I left the hobby right before they sold their company to Panini and Donruss was my favorite company year in and year out, now that I'm back i've seen nothing but complaints and a flood of redemptions come from them. After I get my 2 boxes of Certified, I'm sticking with UD and Topps and picking up singles of Panini products, maybe they will eventually learn to actually care about the crap products they are providing collectors.

Well they lost my football business based on box breaks and partially on this. Next might be hockey. They make some nice stuff, but I am tired of paying for worthless "redemptions" because of their failures.
aceecards
fine..

You got it..

Lets look up the definition of redemption shall we??

re·demp·tion   /rɪˈdɛmpʃən/ Show Spelled[ri-demp-shuhn] Show IPA
noun
1. an act of redeeming or the state of being redeemed.

Really.. So Panini is going to save the world by placing redemption cards strategically in packs of their products?

2. deliverance; rescue.

Oh they deliver alright.. Not quite as fast as Domino s though.. and rescue.. Puuuhhhlllleeeeaaazzzeee .. they rescued my dollars from an evil worse than fate apparently!

3. Theology . deliverance from sin; salvation.

Umm.. the only sin committed is WE bought THEIR Product and they have delivered us from evil!

4. atonement for guilt.

OH you got that right.. I bet they feel as Guilty as sin! Hey wait.. that is a conundrum or something like that isnt it??

5. repurchase, as of something sold.

Yea trying selling one.. unredeemed..!

aceecards
and bonus bullets for redemption

4. conversion of paper money into bullion or specie
5. a. removal of a financial obligation by paying off a note, bond, etc

Somehow those two mean more than all the others..
northicehero99
QUOTE(aceecards @ Nov 28 2011, 10:39 PM)
and bonus bullets for redemption

4.  conversion of paper money into bullion or specie 
5.  a. removal of a financial obligation by paying off a note, bond, etc 
Somehow those two mean more than all the others..

Nice, was not sure blank cardboard counted as bullion or specie, but I guess if you package bull doo doo right it is. laugh.gif
dielonthug
Panini has been failing recently with the how timely they fulfill their redemptions, but I will say, they are better than UD about fulfilling expired redemptions. so pick your poison
Solid133
QUOTE(dielonthug @ Nov 28 2011, 10:58 PM)
Panini has been failing recently with the how timely they fulfill their redemptions, but I will say, they are better than UD about fulfilling expired redemptions. so pick your poison

Well I've been watching The Hobby Box guys youtube breaks and he keeps mentioning UD is gonna be doing something about expired redemptions in January, so maybe they might start trying to honor them.
northicehero99
QUOTE(dielonthug @ Nov 28 2011, 10:58 PM)

In my opinion a redemption should be good for a more reasonable period like 4-5 years, not 2, but that is a different story. The difference between an expired and an unfilled redemption is that I can check to see what redemptions are expired before I purchase a product. There is no way for me to know that the redemption I pulled will take 12+ months to produce and as noted above, other auto cards from the same company have been produced subsequent. In that case shouldn't the first product produced get those autos first (unless on-card)?
moparcudaz
panini wish list for x-mas---

my rc/jrsy/auto from certified-10/11-funny it said i'd be the envy of all my friends- laugh.gif

5- certified rc on card auto's-sent back for missing auto's- mad.gif

wade rip belak winter warriors gu--damaged sad.gif

gotta love redemptions-- thumbdown.gif
redwing40
Feel your pain Brian, Just put the cards in the packs already, Gee's!
I have Three that are useless from Ultra Fleer, only got a Carey Price Rc Back from UD after 6 months of waiting! And that was after I called, should be one card for every redemption, if you still have your product on the shelfs at the store, either pull them, or keep redemptions going!
Hope you get them back Brian.
osufan2383
topps is worse than both of the two other companies combined. I called Panini and they took care of my problems and gave some extra for it. I am telling people try calling them and they will help you. Northice do you still have the name of the guy I gave you a few months back
northicehero99
QUOTE(osufan2383 @ Nov 29 2011, 07:45 PM)
topps is worse than both of the two other companies combined. I called Panini and they took care of my problems and gave some extra for it. I am telling people try calling them and they will help you. Northice do you still have the name of the guy I gave you a few months back

No, but I did call and the information in my main post was what I was told. Kind of worthless to trade in a $15 unlisted star auto for a $15 scrub auto IMO.
northicehero99
Well I got updates on this here is what I am to receive:

Replaced: 11/29/2011 3:22 PM
by: Panini 2009 Playoff National Treasures Rookie Colossal Card #33 (34 / 50) Mike Wallace Pittsburgh Steelers WR

Replaced: 11/29/2011 3:27 PM
by: Panini 2010 Panini Luxury Suite
Rookies Group 3 Card #169 (44 / 499) Nick Johnson Pittsburgh Penguins RW

One good, although swapped for an auto, one bad guy doesn't play for the Pens anymore. We will see when they arrive if they were worth it, based on the descriptions eh!
ffman
It's really bad that "Beckett value" has to be used. I like Beckett well enough for trading, but for some high-end (or hot) cards it is not accurate.

Take David Freese, for example, after his WS MVP. According to Beckett, his RC autograph booked only $30 - but they were selling for twice that (and more).
northicehero99
QUOTE(northicehero99 @ Nov 30 2011, 12:43 PM)
Well I got updates on this here is what I am to receive:

Replaced: 11/29/2011 3:22 PM
by: Panini  2009 Playoff National Treasures Rookie Colossal Card #33 (34 / 50) Mike Wallace  Pittsburgh Steelers  WR

Replaced: 11/29/2011 3:27 PM
by: Panini  2010 Panini Luxury Suite
Rookies Group 3 Card #169 (44 / 499) Nick Johnson Pittsburgh Penguins  RW

One good, although swapped for an auto, one bad guy doesn't play for the Pens anymore.  We will see when they arrive if they were worth it, based on the descriptions eh!

Got them in and not thrilled. The Komar trade in was hopefully for the Wallace which is a photo shoot Reebok tag. Nice looking card, but not an auto, still at least he is a decent and playing Steeler, so OK trade in. Oh and just noticing in the upper right corner of the card "Authentic Game Worn" but the back reads "worn on 5/16 at the 2009 NFL Players Rookie Premiere". So which is it and did they play a game that day? What a joke! blowup.gif

The other is a joke, Nick Johnson is not a Pen anymore and he played very little, the good side is it is an auto and on card, too bad he isn't a Pen. What a waste of money! I am starting to feel more and more like Steve and just wanting to quit and work on uncompleted sets.
urbanmonk
QUOTE(northicehero99 @ Dec 4 2011, 06:34 AM)
Got them in and not thrilled.  The Komar trade in was hopefully for the Wallace which is a photo shoot Reebok tag.  Nice looking card, but not an auto, still at least he is a decent and playing Steeler, so OK trade in.  Oh and just noticing in the upper right corner of the card "Authentic Game Worn" but the back reads "worn on 5/16 at the 2009 NFL Players Rookie Premiere".  So which is it and did they play a game that day?  What a joke! blowup.gif

The other is a joke, Nick Johnson is not a Pen anymore and he played very little, the good side is it is an auto and on card, too bad he isn't a Pen.  What a waste of money!  I am starting to feel more and more like Steve and just wanting to quit and work on uncompleted sets.

Tell them that and see if they make it better, worth a shot anyway I guess. But I can understand your frustration.
northicehero99
QUOTE(urbanmonk @ Dec 4 2011, 10:50 AM)
Tell them that and see if they make it better, worth a shot anyway I guess.  But I can understand your frustration.

Posted on Donruss site, will see what happens.
spuds1961
I'm sorry to hear this,when Panini first bought out donruss they were bending over backwards for us customers,now that they've had time to settle in they have become worse than the other major players.What bothers me is I have a basketball redemption of David Andersen from 2010 Panini classics numbered to 99,redeemed last December,waited the requested amount of time to ask for a replacement and even after 4 emails I still haven't heard back from them.This I have a problem with,and your mentioning of the time frame that redemptions expire is dead on,why can a company make us wait forever for a card and then when our redemption has expired for only 2 months they can say so sorry we can't honor it anymore.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.