Help - Search - Member List - Calendar
Full Version: What do you think?
Collector Zone > Collector Corner > Hobby Talk
cardcrazed
So I was sitting around thinking about some ideas to give my collection a little character and keep it fresh, the one idea that kept popping back up is to start a "NFL Busts" PC....... Being a Colts fan we have had many so I know this would be a collection that would probably stay alive for awhile. I don't believe I would just limit it to 1st round busts, but just busts in general. What do you all think? Has anyone on here started a collection like this? Who would you put in this collection? Let me know what your thoughts on this idea are, I think it has some potential to be a really funny collection!

Justin
Zimbow
Sounds like a mess of fun actually. I too thought something along those lines. Was going to do a collection of pitchers who let Hank Aaron homer off them. LOL.
urbanmonk
There would be a never ending supply for sure. I can think of a bunch from the 90s alone, the ones whose RCs went thru the roof at first as highly touted, and then dropped faster than a lead ballon wink.gif laugh.gif
THUNDER9
It would certainly be cheap! I have a Tim Couch GU I would give you to kick it off.
aceecards
the question you have to ask yourself..

What kind of value would it reach and would it be salable.

Many of you remember randallcards and his ryan leaf PC. I think even today that his collection is still worth far less than he has invested in it.
Krusin
Would be fun to do thru trading, & a way to turn your junk into pc
osufan2383
would be neat to do
edgerrin32
If you want to go for go for it!! Sounds fun and not really pricy (just buy them after they are bust!) not before. laugh.gif

But I would point out one thing, if you ever bore or decide to do something new with your collecting you are going to be left with a bunch of junk you couldn't give to people. So before you just jump in think to your self if you will be ok with a bunch of stuff you and everyone else might not want. Kinda like the truck loads of late 80's - mid 90's stuff that people just throw away by the box load.

But if you go for it, I would have a list of names for you!! cool.gif
cardcrazed
Wow those are some great responses (usually my posts get no responses), I was thinking that I would only do a couple of cards for each bust like maybe base and inserts so that I could keep the cost down. So yeah I guess I'm going to start the "Bust" PC! So now I want to see some of your "Bust" lists!

Justin
sschind
QUOTE(aceecards @ Sep 5 2011, 02:50 PM)
the question you have to ask yourself..

What kind of value would it reach and would it be salable.

Many of you remember randallcards and his ryan leaf PC. I think even today that his collection is still worth far less than he has invested in it.

I guess if the only reason you collect is to make money off the cards later then yeah, you would have to ask yourself those questions. If, on the other hand, you collect just to have fun and to build a unique collection within your budget then those questions are pretty much irrelevant.

If you are not concerned with future value and don't invest too much I think it could be a cool idea.

With your base and insert idea you could make it a challenge and look for your favorite card designs since you are not just trying to get everything.
Gadsden86
Bust... 1st round
Just some names.

Ryan Leaf, Tim Couch, David carr, Joey Harrington, Ki-jana carter, Curtis enis, Jamal Reynolds, Jason Allen, Carnell williams (injury issue so???) Scott covington, Marcus Nash, John Avery Jamarcus russell, Brady Quinn, Tim Tebow, Lawrence Maroney... tons more.
Gadsden86
here is a nice article to help you smile.gif
http://bleacherreport.com/articles/680069-...ll-time/page/12
cardcrazed
Thanks Justin for the link!

sschind, very true about money! I'm not interested in selling any of my cards so this PC will just be another branch of my collecting addiction thumbsup.gif

Can we really list Tebow as a bust? He really hasn't been given a shot to start a full season......I guess time will only tell!

Justin
Cool_Hand_Flash
Sounds like a fun idea smile.gif

Akili Smith, Alex Smith, Tony Mandarich, Courtney Brown were all pretty big busts too, and I don't think Tebow qualifies yet..
maikai24
I think:

Matt Leinart, Vince Young, Lendale white, reggie bush (i know he's good but not the player we all expected) darius heyward-bey j.russell, limas sweed, ted ginn jr, jarvis moss, adam carriker, mike williams, matt jones and robert gallery

thats just guys in my opinion haha

now u make we wanna do a pc like this too! great
cardcrazed
What about Brady Quinn and Jimmy Clausen? Is it too soon to add them to the list? I can't believe there is still one name no one has mentioned yet..................Charles Rogers! Kevin Jones was a first round pick by the lions too, where did he go.......

Justin
cardcrazed
Today I finally added some names to this PC:

3 cards of Dewayne Robertson 1st Rd pick by Jets from Kentucky
3 cards of Todd Marinovich 1st Rd by Raiders from Southern Cal
3 cards of Dan McGwire 1st Rd pick by Seahawks from San Diego State
1 card of Todd Mandarich 1st Rd pick by Packers from Michigan St.

This PC is gonna be a blast!

Justin
sschind
QUOTE(cardcrazed @ Jan 7 2012, 03:03 AM)
Today I finally added some names to this PC:

3 cards of Dewayne Robertson 1st Rd pick by Jets from Kentucky
3 cards of Todd Marinovich 1st Rd by Raiders from Southern Cal
3 cards of Dan McGwire 1st Rd pick by Seahawks from San Diego State
1 card of Todd Mandarich 1st Rd pick by Packers from Michigan St.

This PC is gonna be a blast!

Justin

If you are looking for a few more cheap base of Baloney Sandwich I'm sure I have a few I could send you. If you decide to add any more 80's-90's Packers busts let me know I'm sure I have a few of them also (again, just base as that's all I ever really collected.)
dielonthug
Lol, Ill say its a pretty unique idea. pretty cool. That Todd Marinovich guy's story is pretty interesting, as his documentary was just on ESPN. But yeah, this could be an inexpensive PC
edgerrin32
Im not sure if you could put Alex Smith on that list yet! Isn't he in the playoffs and did really good this year? Maybe he will turn it around? But most of the bigger name bust have been listed. I have a really nice collection of a guy named Marcus Vick! He was predicted to be better then his brother. But he played I think in one maybe 2 games as a quarterback/running-back/receiver/backup water boy/practice towel holder backup. Well you get the point. lol But I would be willing to part with it! I also have a nice Adam Pacman Jones collection, he kinda was a bust but is slowly regaining his name!

But good luck on the collection. When you do mail days we will all say yuck to what you post lol. Just messing. tongue.gif
sschind
QUOTE(edgerrin32 @ Jan 7 2012, 06:28 PM)
Im not sure if you could put Alex Smith on that list yet! Isn't he in the playoffs and did really good this year? Maybe he will turn it around? But most of the bigger name bust have been listed. I have a really nice collection of a guy named Marcus Vick! He was predicted to be better then his brother. But he played I think in one maybe 2 games as a quarterback/running-back/receiver/backup water boy/practice towel holder backup. Well you get the point. lol But I would be willing to part with it! I also have a nice Adam Pacman Jones collection, he kinda was a bust but is slowly regaining his name!

But good luck on the collection. When you do mail days we will all say yuck to what you post lol. Just messing.  tongue.gif

I agree with Smith but if you check the dates on most of those posts I think you will find that most of them were before he had a decent year this year.
cardcrazed
QUOTE(edgerrin32 @ Jan 7 2012, 06:28 PM)

But good luck on the collection. When you do mail days we will all say yuck to what you post lol. Just messing.  tongue.gif

I would be interested in any Marcus Vicks you want to get rid of!

Thank you everyone for the comments, this has turned out to be one of my better posts! It has been a blast seeing the reactions to this topic/collection! I think having one decent year doesn't protect Alex Smith from being thrown in the bust collection! Now if he comes out next year and leads his team to the playoffs again then I will have to consider moving him out but he still has something to prove! I am still looking for names so if anyone has any not so common players they think should be on the list let me know! keep the posts comming!

Justin
sschind
QUOTE(cardcrazed @ Jan 9 2012, 10:55 AM)
I think having one decent year doesn't protect Alex Smith from being thrown in the bust collection!

Justin

Sure Justin, you just want everyone to send you all their Alex Smith cards as busts right now so when he wins the SB MVP you can cash in on them. I see how you are playing your little game. I'm thinking I might just keep all my Tony Mandarich cards now so you can't get rich off them. biggrin.gif biggrin.gif biggrin.gif

cardcrazed
QUOTE(sschind @ Jan 10 2012, 09:34 AM)
Sure Justin, you just want everyone to send you all their Alex Smith cards as busts right now so when he wins the SB MVP you can cash in on them.  I see how you are playing your little game.  I'm thinking I might just keep all my Tony Mandarich cards now so you can't get rich off them. biggrin.gif  biggrin.gif  biggrin.gif

Now that is funny! Thank you for exposing my get rich quick scheme! I have enough Smith cards to get rich off of as it is! But since you mentioned it I could really use some Ryan Leaf cards to add to my collection! This collection is what I'm calling my retirement fund!

Justin
cardcrazed
Today i got 2 more cards for the "bust" collection:

1 card - Andre Ware 1st round pick by Detroit Lions
1 card - Brian Bosworth 1st round pick by Seattle Seahawk

Thanks for looking!

Justin
sschind
QUOTE(cardcrazed @ Jan 10 2012, 10:42 PM)
Now that is funny! Thank you for exposing my get rich quick scheme! I have enough Smith cards to get rich off of as it is! But since you mentioned it I could really use some Ryan Leaf cards to add to my collection! This collection is what I'm calling my retirement fund!

Justin

I've got a bunch of Tony Mandarich Cards and some Terrell Buckley. I'm not sure you can call Buckley a bust as he did have an OK career just not what everyone thought it would be. You can decide for yourself.

Send me your address and I'll get them out, you can keep the ones you want and if they are more than enough for your retirement fund you can put your kids through college with the rest.

geibdan
QUOTE(cardcrazed @ Sep 5 2011, 01:30 PM)
So I was sitting around thinking about some ideas to give my collection a little character and keep it fresh, the one idea that kept popping back up is to start a "NFL Busts" PC....... Being a Colts fan we have had many so I know this would be a collection that would probably stay alive for awhile. I don't believe I would just limit it to 1st round busts, but just busts in general. What do you all think? Has anyone on here started a collection like this? Who would you put in this collection? Let me know what your thoughts on this idea are, I think it has some potential to be a really funny collection!

Justin

I could get you a whole bunch of bust players all rookie cards if you want.. check my HOF post and i will gladly trade you a ton of cards if you can help me get just a few players i need...
busts that i can think of that i should have:
jamarcus russell, ryan leaf, joey harrington, akili smith, tim couch, shaun king, jeff george, heath shuler, kurtis enis, ki-jana karter, danny warfuel, andre ware, david carr, brady quinn, drew stanton, ron dayne, lawrence phillips, vince young, shonn green, matt leinhart, rashaan salaam, tim biakabituka, peter warrick, charlie whitehurst, troy smith... any other you might be able to think of. I also have some newer colts RCs.
NYMETSJETS
I'll unfortunatley for my Nittany Lions, have to add in a trifecta of Penn State running backs into the mix. Blaire Thomas, Curtis Enis and Kijana Carter. All first round picks (I think they were all in the top few selections), and they all were complete busts.

Good luck with your collection. Should be fun to see what you put together.
NYMETSJETS
QUOTE(geibdan @ Jan 11 2012, 11:04 AM)
I could get you a whole bunch of bust players all rookie cards if you want.. check my HOF post and i will gladly trade you a ton of cards if you can help me get just a few players i need...
busts that i can think of that i should have:
jamarcus russell, ryan leaf, joey harrington, akili smith, tim couch, shaun king, jeff george, heath shuler, kurtis enis, ki-jana karter, danny warfuel, andre ware, david carr, brady quinn, drew stanton, ron dayne, lawrence phillips, vince young, shonn green, matt leinhart, rashaan salaam, tim biakabituka, peter warrick, charlie whitehurst, troy smith... any other you might be able to think of.   I also have some newer colts RCs.

Decent additions. I actually got to meet Heath Shuler a few times (he helped coach some youth baseball teams in the area) when he was a Redskin. Great guy....but complete BUSTO!

Shonn Green is little aggressive in calling a bust though, 3rd round pick with 2,700 yards from scrimmage is not too shabby when your splitting time. He's had some great playoff games too not included in those numbers. Plenty more 1st/2nd round running back picks from the last few years that better deserve the lable.
geibdan
yeah..i agree i'm just not a fan of him for som1 starting ahead of such a legend he hasnt impressed enough. knowshawn moreno, lawrence maroney, kevin smith, kevin jones, kyle boller, travis taylor, mark clayton, charles rodgers you could add them to the list so far.

cardcrazed i also have some ND rookies: Bettis, zibikowski, derrick mayes.. maybe others. if you have anybody on my HOF want list i will hook you up with a bunch of busts, colts and ND.

osufan2383
yeah i would not put Shonn Greene as a bust just yet.
osufan2383
How about these guys for busts

Steve Slaton
William Joseph
Cedric Jones
Matt Jones
cardcrazed
QUOTE(geibdan @ Jan 11 2012, 09:30 PM)
yeah..i agree i'm just not a fan of him for som1 starting ahead of such a legend he hasnt impressed enough.  knowshawn moreno, lawrence maroney, kevin smith, kevin jones, kyle boller, travis taylor, mark clayton, charles rodgers you could add them to the list so far. 

cardcrazed  i also have some ND rookies: Bettis, zibikowski, derrick mayes.. maybe others. if you have anybody on my HOF want list i will hook you up with a bunch of busts, colts and ND.

Where is this HOF post you speak of? I will look and definitely send you what I have!

Osufan- Slaton and jones are definitly in the bust mix. Where is Slaton anyway? I bet you can find Matt Jones at the drug rehab center!!!!

Justin
sschind
QUOTE(cardcrazed @ Jan 12 2012, 03:02 AM)
Where is this HOF post you speak of? I will look and definitely send you what I have!
Osufan- Slaton and jones are definitly in the bust mix. Where is Slaton anyway? I bet you can find Matt Jones at the drug rehab center!!!!

Justin

I have a hard time calling anyone who was drafted after the second round a bust. How much is expected of them anyway? Slaton was a third rounder and is in Miami now.
cardcrazed
QUOTE(sschind @ Jan 12 2012, 12:59 PM)
I have a hard time calling anyone who was drafted after the second round a bust.  How much is expected of them anyway?  Slaton was a third rounder and is in Miami now.

I think you can because before this new collective bargaining agreement 3rd Rounders were still making a lot of money compared to now! So if you are paying them that much you have to have high expectations! I draw the line at 3rd Rounders though!

Justin
cardcrazed
Today I received a ton of additions from geibdan! What a cool gesture! Lots of big names Tim Couch, Ryan Leaf, Akili Smith, Curtis Enis and many more!!!!! thanks a lot man, it is greatly appreciated!!

Justin
WestCoastSkinsFan
I can probably find a Devin Thomas and/or Malcolm Kelly auto to add to your list. Those 2nd rounders for the 'Skins in 08... yeesh. Looking back, that was a big swing-and-a-miss.
cardcrazed
Yeah that happens to every team, the Colts have too many to mention! For example 2007 draft we trade our 1st round pick in 2008 to move up and draft Tony Ugoh offensive lineman from Arkansas, 1 year later he is cut!

Justin
osufan2383
I dunno about Thomas he has landed on the Giants and is their top Special Teams guy Kelly definitely
cardcrazed
Wow the generosity never seems to end here at TCC! A big thank you goes out to sschind for the awesome Tony Mandarich/Terrell Buckley package! These definitely have a special place in the "Bust" collection! Thanks again, if I can help you out with any collection needs don't hesitate to ask!

Justin
WestCoastSkinsFan
QUOTE(osufan2383 @ Jan 17 2012, 05:27 PM)
I dunno about Thomas he has landed on the Giants and is their top Special Teams guy Kelly definitely

A 2nd round pick, meant to be the WR of the future, later cut and now playing special teams almost exclusively on another team? I dunno man, that sounds suspiciously like a bust to me.
Synnstoxin
I'd add almost all Eagles first round picks (as an Eagles fan) but notable busts:
Bernard Williams (1st round pick, BANNED from NFL after 1 season)
Mike Mamula
Freddie Mitchell
Jerome McDougle
Broderick Bunkley
Jon Harris (God he was awful)
Siran Stacy (2nd Rounder, played 2 nfl games)

Non Eagles
Peter Warrick
R. Jay Soward
Cade McNown
John Avery
Giovanni Carmazzi (3rd rounder, but 2nd QB taken in Tom BRady's draft class, he deserves some recognition here)
northicehero99
Justin, great topic and good luck with the bust project. I might have some here will have to take a look.

Busts are one of the minor reasons I have stopped collecting football. Too much money hoping for a big name rookie only to see them fall on thier face a year later. I have had some the other way, but it seems more often that you hit a high rookie his first year and then two years later you are like where is this guy???? Oh he is working at McDonalds. laugh.gif laugh.gif

Good Luck with your collection.
cardcrazed
Thanks!

Some new additions to the bust collection:

3 Charles Rogers cards
3 Ryan Simms cards
3 Levi Jones cards
3 Tim Biakabutuka cards
3 Lawrence Phillips cards

Overall a nice group of "Busts"!

Justin
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.