Help - Search - Member List - Calendar
Full Version: TCC is slowing down....
Collector Zone > TCC Features > Suggestion Box
Pages: 1, 2, 3
catcherball
Is it just me or are posts just slowing down. Always seems to be the same group of folks, which is great, but its also nice to have a diverse crowd. I wish we could think of a way to pick up steam ohmy.gif
Tarasadie17
QUOTE(catcherball @ Mar 22 2011, 08:33 PM)
I wish we could think of a way to pick up steam ohmy.gif

Giving away money always seems to work... any volunteers?
msw_sportscards
Funny. I have been thinking the same thing the past 2 weeks and was about to post this same topic in hobby talk. It seems like forums are sitting for days without new posts. I remember a time when you could leave for an hour and then have to search the forums just to find the topic you were looking at an hour before. Worries me.
msw_sportscards
It also makes me wonder just how much Bob did for this site that few or none of us ever knew about. I can't help but wonder if his continued absence is slowly eating away at our community or if we're just seeing a sign of the times in terms of the state of our hobby.
msw_sportscards
I gladly would if I could.

QUOTE(Tarasadie17 @ Mar 22 2011, 10:37 PM)

booth9919
I think its a combination of everything, People dont have the money they use too, everybody want top dollar for there cards, its turning more and more into a business style than what collecting should be. Thats just my $.02

pwolantern
QUOTE(booth9919 @ Mar 23 2011, 01:00 AM)
I think its a combination of everything, People dont have the money they use too, everybody want top dollar for there cards, its turning more and more into a business style than what collecting should be. Thats just my $.02

I totally agree. A lot of people want top dollar, along with the price you have to pay for some of the products that are being produced, it has become a very expensive hobby.
Superhuskiefan1
Where has bob been?? And I totally agree with all the posts above
aceecards
dont ever forget..

We are TCC!

not Bob, not Richard, not Brian... You , me and all the other members of this community!

If you think the post count is down...Do something about it!
northicehero99
QUOTE(Tarasadie17 @ Mar 22 2011, 10:37 PM)

No but I nominate . . . . . . you! laugh.gif laugh.gif

We could always offer free donuts to the first 10,000,000 posters, but there are shipping and handling charges. laugh.gif
northicehero99
QUOTE(msw_sportscards @ Mar 22 2011, 10:59 PM)
It also makes me wonder just how much Bob did for this site that few or none of us ever knew about. I can't help but wonder if his continued absence is slowly eating away at our community or if we're just seeing a sign of the times in terms of the state of our hobby.

While Bob was an integral part of this site, he had as much to do with traffic here as you and me. OK maybe a little more, but he has been gone for a long time (2 years or more?). That being said we do need another trade-a-thon and maybe some email blasts??? unsure.gif

I think this is more of an economic issue more than any thing else, and the disdain in the hobby based on a lack of quality products that offer value in return. Times are tough for $60 you can get a box or a tank of gas to get you to work, tough choices have to be made, hobbys are put aside.
MWS
This is a great site! It will take all of us to keep it going as well as the hobby.
Gottabe
Let me throw a Penny at this one..

Personally speaking, I've been on a lot less. It is the OFF SEASON for Football and Baseball hasn't picked up yet. No offense but I don't think the NBA or NHL could carry a site like this one on it's own.
Secondly, a lot of us our Dual/Triple site members. Myself putting up with the "B" site troubles over the past couple of months has lessened my "eagerness" as to the trading and such no matter which site, as there have been a few "What Happened" glitches on here as well.
Spring is here and some of the younger dudes and dudettes are likely turning their thoughts to what we older dudes and dudettes did at their age.
Economy, a definite impact, but far from 90% IMO

And the stinking Lockout/Strike isn't helping either.

What's it all mean..... Nothing I guess, the Draft is coming and the Annual Chasing of the Next Big Thing RC will once again whip the prospectors into a frenzy. Until then, if things look slow...Write something. Heck shouldn't be to hard to come up with something better than I just spent a few minutes writing... laugh.gif
RGBII
Folks, we're gonna be just fine.

This hobby and this fine site has and will have
their bumps and potholes along the way.

"The Road Goes On Forever"

Collect Hard!,
RGBII

*Thank you Mr. Gregg Allman for the lyric
from Midnight Rider
sasports
I second what Richard had to say.

I will add to it as well. With all of the wars and the economy and the uncertain times, people are doing what is right by them and their familys. I have had to step aside from cards multiple times to make ends meet and now more than ever people are doing the same. Rest assured, The card industry is going nowhere and neither is TCC. this little reccesion will not last forever! And when it is over, poeple will be crawling out of the woodwork to get back the collections that they had to part with! wink.gif
moparcudaz
this site is strong with its members and remember---OTSS- cool.gif

kamikid
very true same cards and same people wish we could get more on here
Tb40
Guys, I agree the site is down but there have already been multiple reasons stated earlier in this thread that can contribute to this. We are trying to get new members in but it is a very time consuming process and we are trying our best to get this task completed. I agree that another Trade a Thon is needed and we will discuss this with the CZT. As for the email blast Richard did a few a couple of months back that actually crashed his computer. biggrin.gif Maybe we can do a few more but can split them up between a few computers so we don't have the same fate.

I personally don't buy many cards anymore and my tastes have definitely changed. I'm more into autographed memorabillia now than cards so I'm spending more time on a local autograph site here in Texas that includes info about signings. Everybody goes through ebbs & flows in their collecting habits. The combiantion of the economy, the same old crud in wax boxes, the crappy card companies (UHHHHH UTTER DRECK!!!!!) all are influencing people's habit these days. I used to spend about $2,000-2,500 a month on wax but I got smart and got divorced, lost a little cash, inherited some debt, and now I'm stuck in this crappy economy. I now spend $50-$100 every 2-3 months on wax now if that much.

As the great Mr. Emerick stated in this thread. We control our own destiny on this site. If we are concerned about the number of posts and activity then we all simply need to step it up and post away with relevant posts.
Thanks,
Matt
chopinalex
I have the solution and lucky for us its the right time of year. Free small packs of marshmallow peeps to new members. Large packs if you make 3 trades a month.
chopinalex
QUOTE(Tb40 @ Mar 23 2011, 09:25 PM)
Guys, I agree the site is down but there have already been multiple reasons stated earlier in this thread that can contribute to this.  We are trying to get new members in but it is a very time consuming process and we are trying our best to get this task completed.  I agree that another Trade a Thon is needed and we will discuss this with the CZT.  As for the email blast Richard did a few a couple of months back that actually crashed his computer. biggrin.gif  Maybe we can do a few more but can split them up between a few computers so we don't have the same fate. 

I personally don't buy many cards anymore and my tastes have definitely changed.  I'm more into autographed memorabillia now than cards so I'm spending more time on a local autograph site here in Texas  that includes info about signings.  Everybody goes through ebbs & flows in their collecting habits.  The combiantion of the economy, the same old crud in wax boxes, the crappy card companies (UHHHHH UTTER DRECK!!!!!) all are influencing people's habit these days.  I used to spend about $2,000-2,500 a month on wax but I got smart and got divorced, lost a little cash, inherited some debt, and now I'm stuck in this crappy economy.  I now spend $50-$100 every 2-3 months on wax now if that much. 

As the great Mr. Emerick stated in this thread.  We control our own destiny on this site.  If we are concerned about the number of posts and activity then we all simply need to step it up and post away with relevant posts. 
Thanks,
Matt

"and now I'm stuck in this crappy economy. "
Hamburgers are not hurting in this city...what u talking about Matt?
Tb40
Actually, I've working for a new company Alex. I'm in food sales now. I meant to PM you this weekend. I finally found a few of those 2006-07 Big Game cards. I'll get you a list by the end of the week.
Thanks, Matt

QUOTE(chopinalex @ Mar 23 2011, 10:34 PM)
"and now I'm stuck in this crappy economy.  "
Hamburgers are not hurting in this city...what u talking about Matt?

RGBII
QUOTE(Tb40 @ Mar 23 2011, 11:25 PM)
As the great Mr. Emerick stated in this thread.  We control our own destiny on this site.  If we are concerned about the number of posts and activity then we all simply need to step it up and post away with relevant posts. 
Thanks,
Matt

Agreed!

Well stated and well put.

This site is what we make it.

Start makin' the change(s) and do it immediately.

We, the "collectors"/hobbyists" are the impetus,
the creators of sites like this. We have come
together to form a community of enthusiast's, newcomers
and hangers-on.

We are the best that there is. If you believe this then
I suggest you get to typing real fast.

My Hobby is neither dead nor is this site.

Collect Hard!,
RGBII
northicehero99
QUOTE(Gottabe @ Mar 23 2011, 01:13 PM)
No offense but I don't think the NBA or NHL could carry a site like this one on it's own.

Believe it or not there is at least one NHL site that I think does (CNC). They do a lot of live streaming of group breaks and box breaks and just live chatting (think they own a shop now and host all breaks). They get a good bit of activity in hockey and seem to be one of the better NHL sites. I think there are others as well, but really do not frequent many sites outside of here. One of the things they do is send lots of email blasts, I get roughly one a day, even though I don't go over to the site very often.
Beavers98
I agree with a lot of what has been said. I really like TCC, and that's where I spend most of my online hobby time, but I do browse a couple other sites... Funny this SAME question was brought up recently on those sites sites as well, so it's not just here, which probably leans more to economic issues, but also even though the NBA and NHL are on right now, it isn't playoff time yet and it's still offseason in NFL and pretty much MLB)spring), so it's kind of a "dead" time.
pwolantern
QUOTE(chopinalex @ Mar 23 2011, 11:33 PM)
I have the solution and lucky for us its the right time of year. Free small packs of marshmallow peeps to new members. Large packs if you make 3 trades a month.

Where was this incentive when I joined? tongue.gif
WestCoastSkinsFan
It's already been said, but it's worth repeating: this site is what you make it. If you're concerned about the volume of people coming in here and poking around, create something that people would want to be a part of. If you're already a part of something and you're passionate about it, spread the word!

I became a part of TCC in part because of some of the awesome contests being held here. So, in turn, I've done my best to contribute to them from time to time. Just look at some of the activity drummed up from threads like "Pay it Forward", thesobons' "It's been a year" thread, and of course, the perpetual "Snake" thread. We have some new great ones like "The Chain" as well! Start something new, and maybe you'll have a thread spanning multiple years.

On the second part of things, like I said, spread the word. In our football group break on here, we've been running for YEARS. I don't know how many people I've told that about at local card shows, card stores, etc. Not everyone has become a part of it (Some, like my pal SuPaDuPa916 do), but it's led to new members coming on for different reasons. It just takes word-of-mouth!
thesobons
I too agree.

For me it's been a new house, dogs, family and work. Having to commute to work takes a couple hours out of each day.

I'm more than willing to start a new BIG contest thread.

Maybe for referals, "I came back to TCC because of _____" or ???

There are a lot of new sites in the past few years - Blowoutcards forum, FCB, Sportscardradio Forum, .... so when people can't find the traders here, they are going elsewhere.

I know other site have advertised at cardshows, on blogger sites, ... do we need to do this?
Krusin
Down cycle, nothing to worry about
Johnny Number 5
TCC is Just fine in my book..

Look at all of these cards for sale!

http://www.tradingcardcentral.com/forums/i...opic=296880&hl=
rtsjr
ask not what tcc can do for you
but what you can do to help make tcc better
MWS
Free cards tomorrow!!!

Hey it works for Joe's Crab Shack.
aceecards
amen to my boy robert to paraphrase the great Miiiissssstttttteeeerrrrr Kennedy.. Kennedy laugh.gif

You know, and Brian feel free to chime in, I remember a time back in TCC infancy when guys like brian, Bob and myself, stumbled over ourselves and threads just for fun.. WHY??? Because we made this home. We hung are hats and became a band of brother and sisters.

Im still here, Brian is still here too.. and we got dwight and cody and richard and shawn and Ken and Brandon and Matt and well hopefully you get the picture.

What does that sentence say??

IT SAYS VOLUMES! IT SAYS WE ARE COMMUNITY WHETHER WE ARE TWO OR A THOUSAND OR 30,000!

Dont take this the wrong way, I dont come here for the trades, or the show and tell or the contest. I come here to participate in my community. We could talk about the weather, music, fuel prices..No wait , lets not talk about that ohmy.gif , The fact is, I just enjoy the company of each and everyone of you.

END OF STORY!

So, that being said, Im not stressing on who aint here or who aint trading, or why is there only 12 new posts tonight or... Why? Because we as a community have been there done that and there isnt a darn thing any of us can do to control what is outside of our control.

I know.. NO I REALLY KNOW.. that this is my home, this is my comfort food, my Linus Blanket if you will, volume means nothing, quantity does NOT equal QUALITY never has never will.

If it takes a contest to draw back old faces then what is there to really gain, a few short term posts and boom back to just us.

I say everyone comes back around. We just need to be here when they do!

I could make a thousand more trades with Robert and be thrilled for the rest of my life.

I could sit and talk Hockey hobby with brian/dwight for days on end and die happy.

I can discuss the beauty of the Quaker Oats guy blowing bubbles on the back of Ginter with Richard and be satisfied.

I can set and read old posts all night and laugh till I cry.

I can chat with my boy ken anytime.

I can enjoy the excitement thru mr 264 show and tell as his volume grows.

I can keep tabs on Capt Courageous over in the sandbox and pray for him, his wife and child every night.

I can relive my youth talking to Cody.

I have friends for life Like Luke2411 I can drop a call to and discuss the beautiful Lydia with!

Heck the election for '12 will be just around the corner so I can get on my political soapbox wink.gif unsure.gif But I wont! well maybe.. just a little!

PS I dont mean to forget anyone but my fingers are tired and Ive said a mouthful already Cause there are 100 times more I didnt mention that I did who are just as important to me as the particulars I mentioned.

I have all I need and more, just look around and you may see what I see!

RGBII
Hallelujah!

Well put, Steve,

Collect Hard!,
RGBII
northicehero99
^
|
|
|
|
|
|

Good readin' just 2 posts above! biggrin.gif
rtsjr
QUOTE(aceecards @ Mar 24 2011, 09:10 PM)
amen to my boy robert to paraphrase the great Miiiissssstttttteeeerrrrr Kennedy.. Kennedy laugh.gif

You know, and Brian feel free to chime in, I remember a time back in TCC infancy when guys like brian, Bob and myself, stumbled over ourselves and threads just for fun.. WHY??? Because we made this home. We hung are hats and became a band of brother and sisters.

Im still here, Brian is still here too.. and we got dwight and cody and richard and shawn and Ken and Brandon and Matt and well hopefully you get the picture.

IT SAYS VOLUMES! IT SAYS WE ARE COMMUNITY WHETHER WE ARE TWO OR A THOUSAND OR 30,000!

Dont take this the wrong way, I dont come here for the trades, or the show and tell or the contest. I come here to participate in my community. We could talk about the weather, music, fuel prices..No wait , lets not talk about that ohmy.gif , The fact is, I just enjoy the company of each and everyone of you.

END OF STORY!

So, that being said, Im not stressing on who aint here or who aint trading, or why is there only 12 new posts tonight or... Why? Because we as a community have been there done that and there isnt a darn thing any of us can do to control what is outside of our control.

I know.. NO I REALLY KNOW.. that this is my home, this is my comfort food, my Linus Blanket if you will, volume means nothing, quantity does NOT equal QUALITY never has never will.

If it takes a contest to draw back old faces then what is there to really gain, a few short term posts and boom back to just us.

I could make a thousand more trades with Robert and be thrilled for the rest of my life.

I could sit and talk Hockey hobby with brian/dwight for days on end and die happy.

I can discuss the beauty of the Quaker Oats guy blowing bubbles on the back of Ginter with Richard and be satisfied.

I can keep tabs on Capt Courageous over in the sandbox and pray for him, his wife and child every night.

I have friends for life Like Luke2411 I can drop a call to and discuss the beautiful Lydia with!

Heck the election for '12 will be just around the corner so I can get on my political soapbox  wink.gif  unsure.gif But I wont! well maybe.. just a little!

PS I dont mean to forget anyone but my fingers are tired and Ive said a mouthful already Cause there are 100 times more I didnt mention that I did who are just as important to me as the particulars I mentioned.

ty short and sweet and to the point, many of these younger collectors need to get more involved, they are the torch for the future of out hobby
urbanmonk
Couldn't have stated it any better Steve. It was the "family" feel that caused me to stick around, and what keeps me here instead of other card sites, as the couple I have tried did not have that feeling to it at all. Would I like more activity? Yes. Do I need to deal with anymore trainwrecks/migraine inducing transactions? I can do without that actually laugh.gif So to me becomes a quality over quantity deal, more folks would be cool but not if it means more users/abusers. That and new folks get added to the "family" all the time, as "like" folks get hooked on the atmosphere here and follow the lead of some of the fine and generous folks here.
bajmurray
I agree with those who have mentioned the community aspect of the site.

I first got involved for group breaks (which still makes up a large part of my participation). However, I find the comraderie to one of the best parts.

Although She Who Must Be Obeyed has never been on the site, she knows exactly who I'm talking about when I bring up Urbanmonk, Bob264, crpalmi, chadb and the others whom I interact with here. Other than with Bob264, (for obvious reasons) she doesn't even know their real names!
edgerrin32
Whats this I hear??? Hold on my imaginary friend says he really likes the trade-a-thon idea! And maybe sales could count this time? O and he says he loves it here at TCC just as much as I do!

Just remember if you don't help make it better, then in a way you make it worse!

I think the site will be fine. Everything goes through a down time at some point. It cant always be perfect and hopping. There are days where its really slow and days where you cant keep up! So just help make it better and if it is slow just think the next day will be busy! wink.gif cool.gif

And if you read a topic and have something to add please do! Don't just close the topic, add a reply (all info is helpful) and the reason someone posted something is to get reply's!

If you think you have something that might make for a good topic, post it up! I love to read good stuff!

Just remember TCC is not a site! Is a community. And we have to make the best of it. No one can do it by there self. Not me, not you, not him, not her, not them, but all of us!!!

POST AWAY AND HAVE FUN!! cool.gif
catcherball
I agree with all the optimistic opinions. Genuinely, I think the economy has taken its toll and stuff like this is fairly cyclical, but I think it might go beyond just staying active....which i most definitely will, cause i love this site and community......but the site is fairly outdated ( a lot of old stuff hanging around) and the threads are very well kept, by that i mean, we see things like in Pack Pulls right now, the pack pull of the week is for the week of Nov 13th, that is coming more and more common. I know people are busy and the community is still thriving to a degree, but I do think these things play a factor in how much TCC is slowing down.
beanschat
hey guys...I have noticed it is pretty slow....and I admit that I havent been around here much the last few months...just had to wander a bit....hmmm maybe it is time to do another Dollar Daze...seems it was about a year ago...
kooljazz1966
QUOTE(aceecards @ Mar 24 2011, 08:10 PM)

END OF STORY!

Heck the election for '12 will be just around the corner so I can get on my political soapbox  wink.gif  unsure.gif But I wont! well maybe.. just a little!

You always steal my thunder!! laugh.gif laugh.gif ...well said and great read!

Ken
beanschat
the rest of what I meant to say....

even though I went to a site...and yes pulled some very rapid, very BIG trades, and it had some very nice features....it did not have one thing...and that was a community. It didn't seem to have friends...I don't think I could name one person there that I didn't already know from here.... No Mr 264, or Richard, or Steve, or the Mango kid, or the Chipster..Mr Donruss Classics II (you know who you are), no Shawn, WestCoastskinsfan...this will keep people coming back...when the economy rebounds, or people get back to collecting for whatever reason...this will be the place they start again.

I am glad Sportscardsheriff.com went down...cause that's how I found this site.
beanschat
hmm..guess I was too late, you all were already talking it! LOL shoulda read more previous posts
bigalexx
Lack of advertising=lack of new members.

This is definitely not a knock on the CZT as I know they have been dealt a difficult hand and are doing as much as they possibly can, but other sites are getting their name out their by sponsoring card shows or just even through other advertising options. I know Bob used to advertise TCC on google, I don't know if that's still being done though.
msw_sportscards
I'll second that!!!!!!! I'm an SCS transplant too!

QUOTE(beanschat @ Mar 28 2011, 09:53 PM)

I am glad Sportscardsheriff.com went down...cause that's how I found this site.

Karlitos Way
"Our members have made a total of 2,623,357 posts in 287,257 topics"

wvball
I think that a nice way to get increase membership is through contests.
Most baseball/Fb/BKB/HCY/Racing/Etc trades per month = free product to bust. Doesn't even have to be a whole box, but needs to be a hobby product.
Most menbers refered to TCC in single year = free product to bust or Free full size replica helmet of team of their choice. might be nice to partner with dealers and manufactureres to get this accomplished.
ffman
Trading is so slow right now. I can hardly get a reply to my topics at all.
GA_Pack_Fan
TCC is a great place. We are all a victim of the economic downturn as well the hobby and collectors being in a cyclical pattern. Down for awhile but it always comes back around.

There is nothing wrong with TCC. Though i have never personally met anyone who resides here I feel I have gotten to know many of you through your posts and the breaks, trades and sales I have been involved in.

I for one am looking to increase my presence here if just stay active in the hobby I love. Remember, at one time when everyone started collecting it was not about the monetary value of the cards but the love of the sport and the hobby we chose.

Ross
bigalexx
There are plenty of other sites that are growing so I wouldn't blame it all on the economy. Sure, it's a factor but I don't believe its the primary reason.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.