Help - Search - Member List - Calendar
Full Version: Picking Players For Supercollecting!?
Collector Zone > Collector Corner > Hobby Talk
MaddenRq53
Alright guys, I know that this mostly applies for football but I see a lot of you guys with super-collections of one player and most often it is a rookie. So I pose these questions on how you picked that player and why:

Did they go to your hometown college/graduating college? I don't know how to word that question any better. Did they go to your favorite college team, or the team that you graduated from? Does that give them an edge to collecting them?

Are they good? By this I mean are they a good/star athlete and you just like their play-style or something like that? Do you see them as a big star and think collecting their rookie cards could be a good investment.

Price Range of their cards acceptable? Do you make sure that their cards are not too expensive so that you can buy as many high-end ones without paying too much money? Most people do not super-collect players such as Adrian Peterson, Calvin Johnson, or even non-recent rookies such as Tom Brady or Brett Favre. Most people would rather collect the Lorenzo Bookers, The Leon Halls, The Robert Meachems, The Lamaar Woodleys, and people that are in that range. Not too known unless you follow that team. But everyone into sports knows Payton Manning, Tom Brady and Adrian Peterson.

I am choosing a player to collect and I think that it is too late to collect rookies from 2008 and past. I want to start now but then again I would like to wait for the regular season and the 2011 cards to come out. Any thoughts? :/

Thanks,
Rq
Tarasadie17
This how I picked the one and only player I ever super collected... back in 1999 I bought a box of Skybox Dominion, a box of 1999 Topps Chrome and 1999 Bowman Chrome all within one week of each other. I actually bought the Chrome boxes at the same time. I pulled the following out of the boxes...

Topps Chrome- Rob Konrad Rookie Refractor

Bowman Chrome- Rob Konrad Rookie Gold Refractor #d out of 25

Skybox Dominion- Rob Konrad Autographics Ruby parallel serial #d 50 of 50...

Now, as you can see I did not pick who I supercollected... he picked me wink.gif

... and since he was a Dolphin, it was an easy choice. I sold my collection (pieced it out) when Konrad was cut by the Raiders.... but I did keep one of the 1 of 1's just for the nostalgia... smile.gif
dielonthug
I think people have different methods of player collecting. I have never pulled any great cards of Chad Greenway. i think 1 base 1 press pass insert. Bought and traded for the rest. I picked him because he went to Iowa, the school where I go, and he was the best LB I saw play, and my favorite NFL team drafted him. Now for the Vikings he should be resigned/put a franchise tag on because he is one of thier better defensive players. His cards which I thought would be on the cheaper side since he is a defensive player are surprisingly expensive. SP autos will go for a good chunk of change
urbanmonk
Football I collect guys that played at the college here in town. For Hockey I went with a favorite player who played for the Minnesota North Stars (before franchise got moved to Dallas) and decided to just mainly focus on his cards. Go with whatever works for you, as it's your decision. If you are going to focus on one player probably be best to do with an established player in my opinion as who knows how long (or if they ever play a game in the NFL) they will be playing. As I feel best to not keep changing your focus, but then again to each their own.
crpalmi
I used all the reasons you mentioned to pick my guy...Charlie Frye.

In 2005 he graduated from Akron which was about 8 miles from where I grew up. He was drafted by my hometown Browns in the 3rd round so he wasn't a top tier rookie but one with promise (especially considering the Browns QB situation at the time). Once I saw him play a few games I really liked the way he approached the game and I loved his work ethic, etc..

As fate would have it, he never really made it and when he was released and now relegated to 3rd (maybe 4th) string status for the Raiders my reasons to continue collecting him have changed. It's no longer about the potential investment as that boat has sailed. It's more about completing a mission as well as improving what I like to think of the finest Frye RC collection out there. It may not be a big corner of the collecting world but I like having one of the best collections of something even if it is now of a career back-up. I still hold out hope every time he gets a stray start that he'll be discovered but it's more for the challenge of aquiring the stuff that is out there.

The only thing I'll add is that modern players have a rediculous number of cards out there now so I limited my collection to only 2005 cards (his rookie year). There are over 460 different including a rediculous 66 1/1 cards to aquire. Never going to happen but if I expanded to collect every card he has (ala Jaderock) I'd be going absolutely crazy!

Good luck with it whomever you choose!
WHyFLy
How I picked Roddy White...

Well, he was a player I really loved coming out of college and when he joined the Falcons, I knew I should start collecting a few stuff. At that time, I would be collecting Falcons in general. Not until around the beginning of this season did I really start focusing on him. Now I have around nearly 150 cards and 200 including duplications.
babybraves05
Mine just sort of happened. I got back into collecting during the 2007-2008 football seasons, and Ainge just happened to come out in the draft in 2008, and for a 5th round pick, had a surprising amount of cards in some of the cooler sets.

He's fairly cheap to collect now, with most cards costing more to ship than the actual auctions themselves, but I would put it up against any other Ainge collection out there (should there be one lol)

But, he also went to Tennessee, which is my obsession, so it was really destiny for me!
Gadsden86
OK so i am currently supercollecting 2 players. Was 3 but now 2 mainly.
1st is what really got me started in my 8000+ dolphins.

In 1998 a guy Named Oronde Gadsden came into training camp for the dolphins. Up till then he hadn't been much more then Practice squad fodder. He played the previous season in Arena football league and was then showcasing what he could do.
He got his 1st TD from dan marino on a 44 yard catch vs the colts. He just amased me at how he was so athletic and just was big not fast by any means but he just could out jump people and be the man they needed.
I got my 1st card of him in 1999 it was a revolution base card and i now have most of his cards except for 1/1's and hard to get stuff. I have yet loved to collect aplayer like this and probalby never will.

My other 2 are Jared Odrick & Cameron "Derek" wake. Both played at PSu my favoite college and now for my favorite pro team. I have followed Wake since he left school in 05 and has since become a force to be reckoned with in the NFL.

So yea thoes are my 3 guys and i love anything i get of them cards, memorbilia, news paper articles anything.

Others that i collected then stoped or dumped. Wes Welker, Dan orlovsky, Anthony Morrelli, Michael Robinson few others. biggrin.gif

Michael would love to see the Konrad 1/1 you still have loved him at miami. BTW he didnt get cut he retired as he lost the love of the game when he was with them.
tyrodsports
I dont supercollect him, but I chose Hank Baskett because I went to church with his family. I remember draft weekend and the roar of applause as h stood up. It was pretty cool, because our pastor started throwing footballs out to the crowd biggrin.gif ...Unfortunately he didnt get drafted, lol, and has since bounced around the league. I started supercollecting and then backed off to mostly low #d game used and patches, specifically the 06 NT. Players like Hank are relatively cheap to follow and catch due to the lack of star power compared to the Dan Marinos or Sam Bradfords. Check my bucket under Football NFT>Hank Baskett
MaddenRq53
From reading all of your replies I think that I am going to just wait untill cards come out for 2011 and then collect a star from Michigan or Michigan State. Thanks for telling me as I enjoyed the stories and it helped a bunch!
19th Century Indiana Jones
And now a word from The Other Side:

A new breed of collector - The Anti-Supercollector

I collect Jordan Shipley. However, I will obtain at least two (non-plate) 1/1s early on and needn't go any further, therefore, if I cannot supercollect him (and I do not intend to), then no one else can. It may sound selfish and downright evil, but hey, I'm just leveling the playing field early on for my player. It is a strategical move with calculated risk.

My Shipley collection is much smaller than this other Shipley collector's collection (he has amassed at least 50 AU cards and is still searching for more) which left me concentrating more on the rarer (non-AU) cards. I do, however, find an AU 'steal' (I actually do not believe in steals) every now and then. I like the way my collection is turning out because the other fella is kind of forcing me into looking for a new way to collect.

You don't have to collect everything, but at least get an item or two that no one else would be able to have.
Tarasadie17
QUOTE(19th Century Indiana Jones @ Jan 14 2011, 09:08 AM)
You don't have to collect everything, but at least get an item or two that no one else would be able to have.

devil.gif
crpalmi
QUOTE(Gadsden86 @ Jan 13 2011, 07:53 PM)
OK so i am currently supercollecting 2 players. Was 3 but now 2 mainly.
1st is what really got me started in my 8000+ dolphins.

In 1998 a guy Named Oronde Gadsden came into training camp for the dolphins. Up till then he hadn't been much more then Practice squad fodder. He played the previous season in Arena football league and was then showcasing what he could do.
He got his 1st TD from dan marino on a 44 yard catch vs the colts. He just amased me at how he was so athletic and just was big not fast by any means but he just could out jump people and be the man they needed.
I got my 1st card of him in 1999 it was a revolution base card and i now have most of his cards except for 1/1's and hard to get stuff. I have yet loved to collect aplayer like this and probalby never will.

My other 2 are Jared Odrick & Cameron "Derek" wake. Both played at PSu my favoite college and now for my favorite pro team. I have followed Wake since he left school in 05 and has since become a fore to be wreconed with in the NFL.

So yea thoes are my 3 guys and i love anything i get of them cards, memorbilia, news paper articles anything.

Others that i collected then stoped or dumped. Wes Welker, Dan orlovsky, Anthony Morrelli, Michael Robinson few others.  biggrin.gif

Michael would love to see the Konrad 1/1 you still have loved him at miami. BTW he didnt get cut he retired as he lost the love of the game when he was with them.

No more John Beck?
MaddenRq53
I don't know, I think I might try a Rashard Mendenhall Supercollection PC...

Would that be a good idea?
tyrodsports
why not, if Mendy is your man...I say go for it...I can help get you started. Take a look at my Steelers trade thread
aceecards
im super collecting sam bradford rookies only and it all came down to him being the #1 draft choice of my hometown rams!
hodee5
Seems like I started collecting all Colts back in the late 90's, and just seemed to have more Marvin Harrisons than anything else! Prices were pretty good, and still are. So now I just have to learn to let go of my other Colts stuff to get more Harrisons! So price and availability I guess......and he was pretty good!
Gadsden86
Not really Chris. Have let quite a few things pass me but without really trying to win. May get some stuff here and their but got tired of spending my money on QB's who aren't even on my favorite team anymore and don't seem to get a fair shot or one at all.
cardcrazed
I chose the easy route and not just choose one player, but an entire team. I don't supercollect of course because that would be impossible. I just want to get ahold of everything COLTS I can! I think collecting a team is more enjoyable because there is so many more cards to choose from and look forward to! You have to decide what your collecting goals will be, if you like a player or team then do it! Just have fun!

Justin
dodgernoot
I chose Ramses Barden because we went to cal poly at the same time. I only of to see him play one year because I left for the army but I kept up with him through out his college career. I have only pulled maybe 5 base cards of his out of my entire PC. Everything else was bought or traded for. He was an incredible athelte in college and I hope he fairs well in the NFL. There is a big difference between FCS and NFL football. As for my collecting habits it was also a good choice. Aside from 09 his cards a I frequent. Not to mention I am limited budget collector and barden cards don't go for a ton of money. I got the 09 finest superfractor 1/1 auto for 120$. Try doing that with tebow or bradford. I already know that my barden pc will never be 100% with all of the 15 levels of 3 different cards that triple threads put out alone. Not to mention his 30-40 something 1/1 plates. But that's ok. I just wanna get everything obtainable. Base, inserts, un-numbered and high numbered au and gu. And then a nice section of the hard to finds.
edgerrin32
I went with Edgerrin James. He was my favorite RB of all time! And he was a Colt. And right now his cards are so under valued its not funny. I also didn't really want a person that only has 50 cards. And I really like Peyton Manning but knew I would never be able to afford a collection like mine on his, plus most people will not give up a Manning 1/1 if they pull it. So there would be a ton of holes maybe forever in my collection. And James is HOF (despite what any of the haters say!) numbers don't lie! And I seen some news that he is trying to make a comeback!! And his cards used to be priced crazy high! Like $750 for his contenders ticket auto! You also know with collecting a asablished player, hes not going to be a flop! I'm not big on rc collecting, because how many really good rcs come in every year and 3-5 years later you say there name and people say who? It not really about value to me, but I would like to know if I ever wanted to sell or needed to (homeless or something) that I could and would get $100 bucks for something I spent $10-$100k for! So yes in that way its about the money. But that not why I collect him. And I also don't collect for a title (not like I win money or something). I collect because its what I like and I want all of Edge's cards, but not for a title. I would be happy to have them all and have no title. I also seen a good market of available cards for him. Some players have a lot of cards but this just never seem to come up for sale or trade? Just a lot of followers I guess. Plus when I started collecting Edgerrins there wasn't to many people collecting him so I could win just about every card I wanted to. I guess people just gave up on him. And he was from the late 90's early 2000's so he has a lot of really cool looking cards. And there was also higher numberings on cards back then. Now days there are 20 versions per card and 10 of them are 1/1's. So its a lot harder to get each version and good luck finding all the 1/1's. You have rcs coming out with 200 1/1's there rc year! Thats nuts. Also is flooding the market. It used to be a really special thing to own a 1/1. Now they come one per box (not really but you get what im saying). But on the flip side with a older players is a lot of there rare cards have been pulled and are in hiding, get put in a box and forgot about or the person out grows cards and just leaves them behind (like going to college or moving out) and they ether get threw out or damaged or put in a attic or something. I don't see to many earlier 1/1s for Edge come up for sale, but new ones hit the bay as soon as they come out or within the next couple months or so. And also each time a card changes hands theirs a good chance it will not surface again or it will be a long time before it does! But with trying to super collect anything, there is a lot of hidden stuff people don't think about. Loss of sleep, cost, time away from friends and family, headaches, disappointments, frustration, stress, addiction, that feeling that you are always going to miss the next thing listed if you don't check your "My eBay" or search for what has been listed new as well as other things. So its not always just the cards to think about. It has took a beating on me. And if you are not careful the cards will start collecting you! I really don't recommend people trying to do it. Just pick someone you like and collect what you can and be happy with it, if you miss something just get the next thing that comes along. Shop for deals, don't be willing to pay any price for a card! Because for the price you will spend on the one card, you could buy 2,3 maybe 10 other cards of your player! Those are my thoughts..... cool.gif
Cool_Hand_Flash
After Jasons post of biblical porportions mine will seem short laugh.gif

I super collect 4 palyers... right now... 3 are 100% constant, and the jury is still out on the fourth.

Alex Brink: a so-called "scrub" QB. Scrub = not that amazing tongue.gif I got one of his auto's in the first group break I was in, checked him out on youtube, cause I didn't know him at the time. Liked his play style... found some cheap cards and now he's a top priority.

Beanie Wells: Ohio State is my fave collecge team and he reminds me of my older fave RB's, Earl Campbell, Christian Okoye and Jim Brown. So that was easy for me.

Peyton Manning: Need a reason there? tongue.gif

Dez Bryant: This is were I'm not sure yet... I really like his playing style and skills.. I'm not sure if I want a million base cards or just "hits" and inserts...

So to add some advice. Can you see yourself wanting EVERY SINGLE Mendenhall card? If the answer is yes, then you're already a super collector tongue.gif If the answer is no... then maybe you aren't the type for super collecting smile.gif

Is my post as huge as Jasons yet? laugh.gif tongue.gif
edgerrin32
Almost! thumbsup.gif

I should have put "To be continued"! laugh.gif tongue.gif

Or flip to chapter 2! wacko.gif laugh.gif
Cool_Hand_Flash
QUOTE(edgerrin32 @ Feb 1 2011, 12:12 AM)
Almost! thumbsup.gif

I should have put "To be continued"! laugh.gif  tongue.gif
Or flip to chapter 2! wacko.gif  laugh.gif

Wanna know the crazy part? I read your huge post! laugh.gif

tongue.gif
edgerrin32
QUOTE(Cool_Hand_Flash @ Feb 1 2011, 12:36 AM)
Wanna know the crazy part? I read your huge post! laugh.gif

tongue.gif

Isn't that why I post it? For people to read! laugh.gif tongue.gif
yankeesjetsfan
I started with Martin Brodeur as my first player PC. Not sure why, as baseball is my favorite sport. I have been a Devils fan since 1990 though and when Rangers played the Devils in that epic Eastern Confrence finals back in 1994 and seeing how well Brodeur played, I had my favorite hockey player. I didn't get back into collecting cards again until 2002, but when I did, he was the first I started to collect.
Same with Tino Martinez.

I always liked Marke Teixeira from his Ranger days, yet never collected him. When he became a Yankee, I immediately started a player PC for him.

Mike
StatMansSportsCards
I am a supercollector of Denarius Moore for a few reasons.

1) He went to my brother's college (Tennessee)
2) He was a 5th rd pick - later round players tend to be cheaper to collect
3) He had an awesome rookie season, and will prob be even better this year
4) His cards are not really expensive to collect
5) My Dad is a big fan of his

I search EBay every day to see if new cards of his are listed

I went on Beckett and found a list of all the autographs Denarius has. There was about 50 of them. Figured the 1 of 1's would be too expensive (same for those #'d/25), so my goal was to get 1 of every autograph that either wasn't numbered or was numbered to 49 or more. There were 39 that fit this (assuming he doesn't have an auto in the soon-to-be-released 2011 Exqusite)

I don't think there's another person out there trying to do what I'm doing - 1 of each one.

I am now only 6 short of my goal. If you have any of these 6 and are willing to part with them, please let me know:

Prime Sigs #189 EXCH #'d out of 199
Certified Mirror Blue Sigs #176 #'d out of 100
Crown Royale Autos Blue #127 #'d out of 50
Donruss Elite Aspirations #134 #'d out of 49
Prime Sigs Gold #189 EXCH #'d out of 49
Panini Playbook Gold #64 EXCH #'d out of 49

I also have doubles of 4 of his autographs:
Gold Standard (3 of them)
Panini Threads (2 of them)
National Treasures /99 (2 of them - both redeemed)
Playoff Contenders (2 of them)

I have a decent # of cards and am more than willing to make trades. Just let me know what you collect. Not currently interested in other Denarius autos beyond the ones listed above.

CROWN JEWELS OF MY COLLECTION: 3 National Treasures autos (2 #'d to 99, 1 #'d to 49) and Prestige auto that is serial numbered 17 of 99 (his jersey #)

GETTING GREAT DEALS: Only 9 of my 30+ autos cost me more than $15. Started buying them off of EBay in March 2012.
Gadsden86
The players i have picked is b/c i loved watching them at an early part of theier career or watched since college or meet them in person.

My others i focus on are.
Greg Camarillo, Cameron Wake (watched him since college), Jared Odrick(watched him since college) Sammy Morris (know him threw a friend)
My new one Derek Moye( favorite player at PSU in a long time and now a dolphin)

forgot i posted on the 1st page over a year ago so this is kinda an update smile.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.