Help - Search - Member List - Calendar
Full Version: Size of signatures
Collector Zone > TCC Features > News and Announcements
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10
bob_TCC
We're going to prepare formal guidelines related to signatures in the near future. However, I did want to go ahead and make a request now for every member to review their signature and make an attempt to keep it to a reasonable size - as a courtesy to each other.

Here are very high-level rules of thumb:

Height: Keep the height to something equivalent to my signature (1-1.5x or less). As you can see, you can easily fit a few images and text into a signature and still keep the height reasonable.

Width: Images should be kept to a reasonable width. A quick test is to simply look at the top of the site while viewing your own profile. If the gap between the logo (left corner) and the banner (middle) is very much, one or more images in your signature are too large. Typically, images of about 400 pixels wide or less work best.

Thanks for helping to keep our "home" clean! wink.gif

-Bob
Iplayfootball_90
Bob, What do I need to take out of my sig?
braves4life1025
well i delted all of my stuff except who i collect so thanks for the pos and sorry didnt know
bob_TCC
QUOTE(Iplayfootball_90 @ Oct 10 2006, 05:49 PM)
Bob, What do I need to take out of my sig?

Yes, your signature is a good example of one needing some updates. tongue.gif

The Calico banner is the ideal width, so the Quinn one would be better if it was resized to that size.

Also, the height could be reduced by about 40-50%. For example, let some of your text be on the same line instead of adding line breaks for everything (e.g., players you collect).

-Bob

NGWH Sports Cards
Hey Bob,

Did you get my PM?

Thanks!
19th Century Indiana Jones
If you could create smaller fonts I could use, I think I can fit the Declaration of Independence in my sig. smile.gif baby.gif
bob_TCC
QUOTE(bob_TCC @ Oct 10 2006, 05:55 PM)
For example, let some of your text be on the same line instead of adding line breaks for everything (e.g., players you collect).

To show you what I mean, I modified your signature to combine text for the future collector list and the team records. wink.gif

-Bob
bob_TCC
QUOTE(19th Century Indiana Jones @ Oct 10 2006, 05:58 PM)
If you could create smaller fonts I could use, I think I can fit the Declaration of Independence in my sig.  smile.gif baby.gif

Yes, you know how to best use the space that you're given. tongue.gif biggrin.gif

-Bob
bob_TCC
QUOTE(NGWH Sports Cards @ Oct 10 2006, 05:57 PM)
Hey Bob,

Did you get my PM?

Thanks!

Yes. I'll try to locate the name later.

-Bob
NGWH Sports Cards
Sorry to bother you Bob!

No offence, but I really dont like the idea! Not having a limit set this place apart from SCF!

Sorry!
bob_TCC
QUOTE(NGWH Sports Cards @ Oct 10 2006, 06:06 PM)
No offence, but I really dont like the idea! Not having a limit set this place apart from SCF!

When posts are getting lost in between the signatures, the signatures have gotten too large. As I said in my initial post, it's really a matter of common courtesy as much as anything. wink.gif

Beyond that, there are plenty of other things that set TCC apart from other sites. wink.gif

-Bob
Iplayfootball_90
QUOTE(bob_TCC @ Oct 10 2006, 04:55 PM)
Yes, your signature is a good example of one needing some updates.   tongue.gif

The Calico banner is the ideal width, so the Quinn one would be better if it was resized to that size.

Also, the height could be reduced by about 40-50%.  For example, let some of your text be on the same line instead of adding line breaks for everything (e.g., players you collect).

-Bob

Oh ok, thanks for editing my sig Bob! wink.gif I have been trying to get my sig small, but it was always to large, I never even thought about putting it the way you made it. laugh.gif
NGWH Sports Cards
Ok, sorry!

This place is the best!
artyman60
hey bob, just wanted to see if my Sig. was cool or if you want me to size it down a bit, Just let me know.

thanks
bob_TCC
QUOTE(artyman60 @ Oct 10 2006, 06:12 PM)
hey bob, just wanted to see if my Sig. was cool or if you want me to size it down a bit, Just let me know.

The height looks just fine.

If you look at the top of the site, you're likely seeing a gap between the logo and banner at the moment. To remove that gap, it would be better if your banner was closer to 400 pixels wide. wink.gif

Again, I have no intention of getting out a ruler and measuring everyone's signature and spending a bunch of time enforcing strict rules about signature size. I'm simply asking everyone to understand that your signature does affect how others view topics. Please just keep that in mind and make adjustments if you can. wink.gif

-Bob
Iplayfootball_90
I don't mind the adjustments at all. I have been meaning to anyway.
bob_TCC
For the record, I've also received a number of PMs over time that indicated that members thought the site was "too busy" with images, etc. in the signatures. Point is that we just have to find a reasonable point in the middle. wink.gif

-Bob
ffman
QUOTE(bob_TCC @ Oct 10 2006, 04:09 PM)
Beyond that, there are plenty of other things that set TCC apart from other sites.  wink.gif

-Bob

True.
acampione
Mine is good that way it is. I don't need useless banners..
skatalite
Great idea.

Someone should have a signature vote off contest tongue.gif
Charlie
very good idea... I am back on DSL but while I was using dialup I had to have all the signature images blocked so my pages didnt take forever to load wink.gif
Lex
Agh..I hate this. Mine would probably be to large right? If so lmk and I'll take out the pics of my 3 kings jersey cards sad.gif
NGWH Sports Cards
Dont be a hater!
Hallsgator
I do like this, thankfully Bob fixed mine awhile back biggrin.gif cool.gif Thanks Bob!
bob_TCC
QUOTE(Lex @ Oct 10 2006, 08:13 PM)
Agh..I hate this. Mine would probably be to large right? If so lmk and I'll take out the pics of my 3 kings jersey cards sad.gif

Just look at the top of the site and you'll know the answer. wink.gif

By the way, most computers will have some type of software on them that allows you to resize images.

-Bob
fourkkids
Is mine to big?
bob_TCC
QUOTE(fourkkids @ Oct 10 2006, 08:44 PM)
Is mine to big?

Why not put the various animated images on the same line? Also, in my opinion, trying to list the names of who you collect in vertical columns doesn't work very well. I couldn't relate the headings to the names right away.

-Bob
Bolted_Down
I think I'm ok...if not rubbing against the upper limit.
Hate to think that I'm an offender, though...soooo????
wink.gif
Lex
Took care of mine. biggrin.gif
bufbillsstlcards
Speaking for those of us with dial up:
notworthy.gif thumbup.gif clapping.gif
pistolpd22
I made mine smaller
bob_TCC
QUOTE(Bolted_Down @ Oct 11 2006, 09:53 AM)
I think I'm ok...if not rubbing against the upper limit.
Hate to think that I'm an offender, though...soooo????
wink.gif

Height is just fine. If possible, it would be good if the banner width was closer to 400 pixels wide. wink.gif

-Bob
bob_TCC
Thanks to each of you that have already made some adjustments. Many of your fellow members appreciate it. wink.gif

-Bob
fourkkids
how about now
bob_TCC
QUOTE(fourkkids @ Oct 11 2006, 01:19 PM)
how about now

I think it's better. wink.gif

I'd lose the TCC logo and slogan though. We're on the TCC site, so members already know about it. Those of us that use the logo only do so to communicate that we're on the team, etc.

Now, if you wanted to add the TCC logo and slogan to your signature on other sites... Oh wait... Don't do that or I'll be blamed for your account restrictions there. tongue.gif laugh.gif

-Bob
bufbillsstlcards
Why is it that some sigs (Mine for example) Have lots of space from the bottom of the team icons down to the next post?
bob_TCC
QUOTE(bufbillsstlcards @ Oct 11 2006, 01:39 PM)
Why is it that some sigs (Mine for example) Have lots of space from the bottom of the team icons down to the next post?

Look to the <-------------------.

The mini profile can control the length of your post block - especially if your post is short and sweet. wink.gif

-Bob
Bolted_Down
QUOTE(bob_TCC @ Oct 11 2006, 11:09 AM)
Height is just fine.  If possible, it would be good if the banner width was closer to 400 pixels wide.  wink.gif

-Bob

Aye, this is why we ask...have to rework 'em down a bit.
cool.gif
runner05
I have a feeling mine is too tall. sad.gif

I'll try and shorten it.
bob_TCC
QUOTE(runner05 @ Oct 11 2006, 02:30 PM)
I have a feeling mine is too tall.  sad.gif

Looks fine to me. wink.gif

-Bob
Tromni
Thank Bob. My previous sig being too wide was the impetus for putting this new one together.

Nothing like a gentle kick in the rear to get the creative juices flowing. wink.gif
fourkkids
QUOTE(bob_TCC @ Oct 11 2006, 12:24 PM)
I think it's better.  wink.gif

I'd lose the TCC logo and slogan though.  We're on the TCC site, so members already know about it.  Those of us that use the logo only do so to communicate that we're on the team, etc.

Now, if you wanted to add the TCC logo and slogan to your signature on other sites...  Oh wait...  Don't do that or I'll be blamed for your account restrictions there.  tongue.gif  laugh.gif

-Bob

Ok,I'll remove it!!!
nerk01
Thanks for the reminder Bob, this is one of my major turnoffs to this site.

I like to read posts, if I wanted to read signatures I would browse the profiles.
bob_TCC
QUOTE(nerk01 @ Oct 11 2006, 09:34 PM)
Thanks for the reminder Bob, this is one of my major turnoffs to this site.

I like to read posts, if I wanted to read signatures I would browse the profiles.

Then, I would suggest going to My Controls: Board Settings and change the "Do you wish to view members signatures when reading topics?" option to "No". wink.gif

-Bob
bufbillsstlcards
How are we doing with this new rule?
bob_TCC
QUOTE(bufbillsstlcards @ Oct 14 2006, 11:24 PM)
How are we doing with this new rule?

From what I've seen, I think many of our active members read the topic and made some changes in order to find the proper balance between expressing themselves and being respectful of others. wink.gif

-Bob
saxophonymartian
Bob, is my sig okay? I tried to squeeze the letters but didnt look too different from before. I will try to get a flatter pic.
bob_TCC
QUOTE(saxophonymartian @ Oct 14 2006, 11:50 PM)
Bob, is my sig okay? I tried to squeeze the letters but didnt look too different from before. I will try to get a flatter pic.

I think it's fine.

-Bob
acampione
I'm thinking of taking out those bannanas-- sorry Aaron.
bufbillsstlcards
QUOTE(acampione @ Oct 14 2006, 11:54 PM)
I'm thinking of taking out those bannanas-- sorry Aaron.

ohmy.gif crybaby.gif no.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.