Help - Search - Member List - Calendar
Full Version: UPPER DECK LOSES NFL CONTRACT
Collector Zone > TCC Features > News and Announcements
DIAMONDCARDS
I HATE TO BREAK THE BAD NEWS BUT UD HAS LOST THE NFL LICENSE.AS OF RIGHT NOW PANINI HAS AN EXCLUSIVE ON THE FOOTBALL LICENSE.I HOPE THEY BRING TOPPS BACK.
cano collector
Where is the link to this?
northicehero99
It is posted on several websites, just google it.

Sort of sad, but UD really did not put out any football products that I really liked.
cardcrazed
so now panini will be the only producers of football products?

Justin
cano collector
I did right after I asked. That is sad. I wonder now if the UD cards will go to worthless junk like those of Edge if they go bankrupt as well. If so that will be unfortunate. i hope not tho because they have always had some nice stuff out there.
leedawg62
I'd hate to say this but it serves them right for their terrible customer service. I hope they do bring topps back into the mix though.

Leland
cano collector
Here is what Chris Olds from Beckett.com said about the topps part of the NFL deal

As for the Topps sentiment, the chatter there -- albeit not confirmed cause they ain't talking on the issue -- is that Topps turned down overtures to come back.

Also, the NFL keeps declining a comment to anyone on their decision about this with UD
CardCraze
THAT'S IT! I'M DONE!

I can't take this anymore. the whole sports card industry is one giant monopoly.

This is total garbage and it's hurting us collectors. Let's review, shall we?

Baseball: Topps
Football: Panini
Basketball: Panini
Hockey: Upper Deck

This is a sad day for the hobby. This totally reeks, and I'm just done. I'm so sick and tired of only being able to buy cards from a certain company. Yes I can buy other companies, but I can't get any of the rookies/current players.

Yes, I can buy a non-endorsed product(i.e. Upper Deck Baseball 2010), but the cards look awful, and again, I can't get any "official" rookie cards.

This hobby has seen its golden days come and go in a very short time span. What we had prior to this year was selection. Regardless of whether or not you liked a company, their design, or their customer service, there was choice. Lots of choice.

Now what? What's the future of this hobby with these gosh forsaken "exclusive contracts"?
Gottabe
With Exquisite on the streets now and carrying it's load of redemptions.

What now?

UD has no commitment to the NFL anymore, why should they hold up their end (on redemptions) to the customers? It's not like they were really customer service orientated most of the time anyhow.

2000 rushing yards
QUOTE(CardCraze @ Apr 8 2010, 05:09 PM)
THAT'S IT! I'M DONE!

I can't take this anymore. the whole sports card industry is one giant monopoly.

This is total garbage and it's hurting us collectors. Let's review, shall we?

Baseball: Topps
Football: Panini
Basketball: Panini
Hockey: Upper Deck

This is a sad day for the hobby. This totally reeks, and I'm just done. I'm so sick and tired of only being able to buy cards from a certain company. Yes I can buy other companies, but I can't get any of the rookies/current players.

Yes, I can buy a non-endorsed product(i.e. Upper Deck Baseball 2010), but the cards look awful, and again, I can't get any "official" rookie cards.

This hobby has seen its golden days come and go in a very short time span. What we had prior to this year was selection. Regardless of whether or not you liked a company, their design, or their customer service, there was choice. Lots of choice.

Now what? What's the future of this hobby with these gosh forsaken "exclusive contracts"?

agreed. I despise this exclusive contract (insert 4 letter word here). This is only meaning that we will get less quality products with less hits and they can do this because they don't have any competitors. Why not allows all companies in but only allow 6 products each?
Sportscard Collector
QUOTE(CardCraze @ Apr 8 2010, 03:09 PM)

That crashing sound you hear is not just Upper Deck's printing presses coming to a halt, it's the end of what was once a fun hobby. The major sports leagues with their exclusive contracts have finally cooked the golden goose. sad.gif

Oh well, there's always stamps and coins. At least we know they'll keep making those. laugh.gif
sahetu
You guys are so funny. You do realize cards were made without competition before, right? Upper Deck has done a pretty bang up job in the hockey market without competition for the NHL license, right?

Upper Deck was never the end all be all of the hobby. Exclusives didn't stop ITG from making great cards. Or Razor. Or Cardboard Icons. This right here is an opportunity for another ITG, a Rittenhouse, or even Press Pass to move forward and look into other avenues. It's an opportunity for Upper Deck to get things FIXED and become something better and win back the respect they lost with their recent shenanigans.

There is no end to the hobby. There never will be. There will always be cards to collect.
mikejohnj
I agree with leedawg62. Serves them right. Over the years they have steadily gotten worse in the customer service. Screwing redemption holders left and right, substandard product, especially in the low end range. Red Tape. Not responding to complaints. Took over a year for them to respond after I filed two reports with the BBB. They simply do not care about their customers.
ninerfolife
Kinda sucks! I like having more choices of brands to choose from!
scottssportcentral
double post.... ignore
scottssportcentral
well ud is in bigger trouble than we all think. i posted an intresting article in the hobby headline section..
redbird8
we can always try to get fleer back up and running under tcc manegment,lol, what did ever happen to them?
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.