Help - Search - Member List - Calendar
Full Version: ROH's Bryan Danielson signs with WWE
Collector Zone > Non-Sports Cards > Wrestling
jaderock
Bryan Danielson http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brian_Danielson is widely considered the best USA based independent wrestler. He recently signed with WWE and will finish out his ROH commitments til the end of September.

On the surface, that is great news, but the reality of the situation is this.

Financially, no matter how he is used, he will make more money in the WWE than he did in any past years. That's a virtual guarantee.

Unfortunately, the signing, to me, is more of a career killing gimmick that the WWE intentionally does from time to time -- that is signing "non traditional WWE body types," then burying them until they break/quit/get fired and finally returning to the independent scene only to be half as over as they once were.

Here's the low down, Danielson is 5' 8", 185 lbs and is "average Joe ordinary looking". That's honestly where all consideration for WWE stardom ends. Although some are quick to point out Evan Bourne as a natural comparison, Danielson's "realistic strong style" is the polar opposite of the WWE's ring psychology. In the WWE, higher ups (think Triple H) will tell him everything you learned up to today was wrong and you are nothing will be another major obstacle that he will have to conquer. Because he won't be in McMahon's Top 10 things to do list, writers will have little to no interest in pushing him. Even in WWE's farm system (FCW, currently and OVW, previously), in ring talent has NEVER been a requirement to be called up especially when you don't have the right look.

In my mind, Danielson will end far less of a star than Jaime Noble, Paul London or Brian Kendrick became. If he's lucky, he may become a good jobber for other talent ala Jimmy Wang Yang.

Your thoughts?
PJRoxx
I can't see Danielson getting over -- or, more importantly, being given a fair break to get over -- in WWE. Most ROH wrestlers have the type of look and style that appeals to a very small group of passionate, hardcore wrestling fans.

The thing you need to remember is that WWE isn't good at promoting wrestling. Vince McMahon is GREAT at creating stars, but not promoting wrestling. He can take a guy with a great look, give him some loud music and noisy fireworks, and he'll get over instantly.

But the product just dies inside the ring. There are exceptions -- Jeff Hardy, Chris Jericho, etc. -- but most of those guys are really passionate about wrestling and have been at it a while. If you look at the crop of WWE stars who were built within the last 7-8 years, with the exception of CM Punk, they're terrible in the ring. Randy Orton is content to lay on a chinlock for 30 minutes before he punts somebody or hits the RKO.

Danielson just doesn't have the look or style to wow fans. Evan Bourne got over because he's something flashy and different; Danielson is neither. Remember how Brent Albright was called "Baby Benoit" a few years back? He went to WWE, got saddled with the Gunner Scott name and was released within months. I think, unfortunately for Danielson, the same thing will happen to him.

QUOTE(jaderock @ Aug 27 2009, 03:25 PM)
Bryan Danielson http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brian_Danielson is widely considered the best USA based independent wrestler. He recently signed with WWE and will finish out his ROH commitments til the end of September.

On the surface, that is great news, but the reality of the situation is this.

Financially, no matter how he is used, he will make more money in the WWE than he did in any past years. That's a virtual guarantee.

Unfortunately, the signing, to me, is more of a career killing gimmick that the WWE intentionally does from time to time -- that is signing "non traditional WWE body types," then burying them until they break/quit/get fired and finally returning to the independent scene only to be half as over as they once were.

Here's the low down, Danielson is 5' 8", 185 lbs and is "average Joe ordinary looking". That's honestly where all consideration for WWE stardom ends. Although some are quick to point out Evan Bourne as a natural comparison, Danielson's "realistic strong style" is the polar opposite of the WWE's ring psychology. In the WWE, higher ups (think Triple H) will tell him everything you learned up to today was wrong and you are nothing will be another major obstacle that he will have to conquer. Because he won't be in McMahon's Top 10 things to do list, writers will have little to no interest in pushing him. Even in WWE's farm system (FCW, currently and OVW, previously), in ring talent has NEVER been a requirement to be called up especially when you don't have the right look.

In my mind, Danielson will end far less of a star than Jaime Noble,  Paul London or Brian Kendrick became. If he's lucky, he may become a good jobber for other talent ala Jimmy Wang Yang.

Your thoughts?

jaderock
Thanks Mike

Vince has NEVER emphasized wrestling...it's more about marketing and marketability. He loves larger than life steriod up...I mean natural bodies and freaks of natural. The image is more important than the actual product.

One example is Khali. He's horrible, but he's a gaint and he can help the overseas India market.

This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2018 Invision Power Services, Inc.