Help - Search - Member List - Calendar
Full Version: TCC Tennessee Titans thread
Collector Zone > Sports Cards > Football
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4
ffman
What a day. I am frustrated on so many levels with this team.

Defense - hats off to you. You kept us in this game - somehow. You pressured the QB, stopped the run fairly well, and play a great game.

Offense - what's up with you guys? Chris couldn't get anything going. VY couldn't.

JEFF FISHER - WAY TO GIVE UP ON VINCE YOUNG! I HOPE YOU FEEL HAPPY FOR YOURSELF. PUT IN THE 40 YEAR OLD COLLINS, WHO THROWS A PICK, FUMBLES, ALMOST TIES THE GAME, BUT INSTEAD THROWS A SHORT PASS TO CJ. THROW THE BALL DOWNFIELD WITH 10 SECONDS LEFT, NOT SHORT!

Collins - LOL!

I admit, I was basically rooting against the Titans the second half after Fisher put Collins in. I can't believe he would bench Young, who is our future quarterback, over one bad half. I wanted Collins to fail miserably. And, for the most part, he did.

In total - 7 turnovers, <50 rushing yards for CJ, and possibly a big hurt to Vince Young's confidence (thanks Coach!).
CardCraze
I can't believe he would bench Young, who is our future quarterback, over one bad half.
-------------------------------

I'm sorry what? He threw two INT's, fumbled once, and got sacked a countless number of times.

Collins may have screwed up, but at least he made the game interesting.
ffman
QUOTE(CardCraze @ Sep 19 2010, 02:36 PM)
I can't believe he would bench Young, who is our future quarterback, over one bad half.
-------------------------------

I'm sorry what? He threw two INT's, fumbled once, and got sacked a countless number of times.

Collins may have screwed up, but at least he made the game interesting.

I'm sorry, what? Is Kerry Collins our future? NO.

Vince Young has potential, which he showed last season and last week. You don't give up on him.

Collins threw a pick, fumbled two or three times, took an intentional grounding penalty, and threw a short pass to CJ with 10 seconds left instead of throwing it downfield.

cardinal
I have absolutely NO problem with what Jeff Fisher did at all. He said it best in the post game interview, where he basically stated that he wasn't trying to lower Vince's confidence, he was trying to WIN THE GAME. And honestly, Kerry Collins looked better than Vince Young. Young was so embarrassingly bad it was unbelievabe. Just about everything a QB can do wrong in a game, he did. Vince Young, Jeff Fisher, and every Titans fan out there knows Young will be the starter next week.

One last thing -- what is all this pity for Vince Young and his confidence about? WHO CARES? If you get that upset over being benched, you seriously shouldn't be playing a sport on a professional level.
ffman
QUOTE(cardinal @ Sep 19 2010, 05:12 PM)
I have absolutely NO problem with what Jeff Fisher did at all. He said it best in the post game interview, where he basically stated that he wasn't trying to lower Vince's confidence, he was trying to WIN THE GAME. And honestly, Kerry Collins looked better than Vince Young. Young was so embarrassingly bad it was unbelievabe. Just about everything a QB can do wrong in a game, he did. Vince Young, Jeff Fisher, and every Titans fan out there knows Young will be the starter next week.

One last thing -- what is all pity for Vince Young and his confidence. WHO CARES? If you get that upset over being benched, you seriously shouldn't be playing a sport on a professional level.

It would be nice to know that you are trusted by your coach to win a game, especially given you are the starter. Did the Ravens pull Flacco after throwing four picks? No.

Was he gonna pull CJ out and put Ringer in since Chris only had 34 yards and a fumble? No.

Pulling him out to "win the game" is basically saying:

"I'm sorry, Vince. You are our starting quarterback, but I don't believe you are good enough to bring us back into the game".

cardinal
QUOTE(ffman @ Sep 19 2010, 06:17 PM)
It would be nice to know that you are trusted by your coach to win a game, especially given you are the starter.  Did the Ravens pull Flacco after throwing four picks?  No.

Was he gonna pull CJ out and put Ringer in since Chris only had 34 yards and a fumble?  No.

Pulling him out to "win the game" is basically saying:

"I'm sorry, Vince.  You are our starting quarterback, but I don't believe you are good enough to bring us back into the game".

It's not like this is a complete shocker. Kerry Collins has proved that he can play well in the past, and Vince Young was having an absolutely TERRIBLE game. This isn't Peyton Manning getting pulled for Curtis Painter.
ffman
QUOTE(cardinal @ Sep 19 2010, 05:40 PM)
It's not like this is a complete shocker. Kerry Collins has proved that he can play well in the past, and Vince Young was having an absolutely TERRIBLE game. This isn't Peyton Manning getting pulled for Curtis Painter.

Yes, he proved that so well last year. rolleyes.gif

Chris Johnson was having a terrible game as well, as was the entire offense and special teams.

Collins passed more efficiently and scored a touchdown, but also:

- Threw one interception
- Fumbled a couple times
- Mismanaged the final drive of the game (if you are pressured, please realize there are only 10 seconds left and don't dump a pass to a covered Chris Johnson).
cardinal
I don't think the Titans would have finished 13-3 with a 10-0 start in '08 with Vince Young under center.
ffman
QUOTE(cardinal @ Sep 19 2010, 06:05 PM)
I don't think the Titans would have finished 13-3 with a 10-0 start in '08 with Vince Young under center.

But, did they not finish 6-2 under him in 2009?

He (and CJ) turned the Titans into a near playoff team after the 0-6 start. That should at least count for something.
northicehero99
Cody, I think Fisher did the right thing in putting in Collins and it almost won the game. The Steelers were reading Vince, it happens and a change was needed. I think some of CJs problems were because Vince could not get anything going passing wise. If he had it might have opened up the field and some lanes for CJ. In addition, CJ had a TD run nullified by a holding penalty, not CJs fault.

I don't think this impacts VY as much as you think considering how bad he played, what if he stayed in and got picked a few more times would that have been any better for his psyche? I have to say I think Fisher did the right thing.
ffman
Week 3:

Titans 29, Giants 10 (with a couple minutes left)

VY: 10/16, 118 yards, 1 TD
CJ: 32 rushes, 125 yards, 2 TD

Thanks to the Giants offensive line and defense for so many personal fouls (and the safety was nice too, gracias Bradshaw)..
ronaldinho0003
Wow. I only watched a couple series of this game, but boy was it chippy...
ffman
The Titans came away with a surprising win over the Dallas Cowboys, 34-27.

Kudos to our amazing D-Line, which totaled six sacks. In addition, Chris Johnson ran for over 130 and 2 touchdowns. Despite being non-existent for a good deal of the game, our secondary did come away with three interceptions, including one that by rookie CB Verner which led to a TD.
ronaldinho0003
Watched the whole game today. I'm pretty impressed with the Titans, with the exception of Vince Young. Yes, he does pose as a threat to many defenses with his ability to run, but he makes flat out dumb decisions sometimes (not just this week, but through the first 5 weeks). If he can step up his game, and still have CJ be consistent, they can definitely be a good playoff contender.
cardinal
QUOTE(ronaldinho0003 @ Oct 10 2010, 08:03 PM)
Watched the whole game today. I'm pretty impressed with the Titans, with the exception of Vince Young. Yes, he does pose as a threat to many defenses with his ability to run, but he makes flat out dumb decisions sometimes (not just this week, but through the first 5 weeks). If he can step up his game, and still have CJ be consistent, they can definitely be a good playoff contender.

I disagree. I was happy with how Vince Young played today. Titans had a good game, and the defense played well despite letting up 27 points.
ffman
This man:

user posted image

Was the first Titans receiver to pass 200 yards in a game since this man:

user posted image

Kenny Britt, after an altercation in a bar Thursday, was forced to sit out the first half.

He came back with a vengeance, putting up 225 yards and 3 touchdowns.

Titans win 37-19.
ronaldinho0003
I'm ticked I didn't start Britt this week...
ffman
Despite an early injury to Britt, the Titans passing game is looking good.

Even on his incompletions, Vince is making some great throws. The unknown receivers are coming out - Stevens, Cook, Hawkins, Williams.

Titans up 12-7 halfway through the 2nd quarter.
ffman
19-7 Titans.
ffman
And penalties kill us.

Griffin - interception for a TD but called back for holding on Griffin.
Babin - Gates gets a TD, and he hits Rivers lows way after the play.

Now Chargers up 24-17.
ffman
And Vince is hurt again.
ffman
And the Titans choke.

Chris Johnson can't catch.
cardinal
Games like this are discouraging because the Titans really should have had this won. Not too worried though, I've still got plenty of faith.
ffman
My frustrating with this team continues to grow.

Despite the 5-4 record after today's loss, in my opinion the season is in jeopardy.

Kerry Collins started the first half throwing for a truly magnificent 51 yards, throwing to Moss only 3 times. The defense, while at times spectacular, leaves too many receivers open. Vince Young comes in after halftime, and while he throws for more yards (in just a little over a quarter surpassing Collins' 51), begins with a fumble.

Young's touchdown pass to Washington led me to think that the team had a chance, but then the defense gives up a TD from the hands of 3rd-string quarterback Tyler Thigpen.

Finally, the game ends with a sack of Young and an interception.

By far, today's game shows that Collins will not get this team anywhere (in my opinion). Young isn't perfect but can get more done. Our defense needs a tune-up. We have hard workers on the front line and in the secondary, but they leave too many holes and are undisciplined.
cardinal
Vince Young was really abysmal. Unfortunately Kerry Collins wasn't ANY better at all. Their whole QB situation is so pedestrian.
ffman
QUOTE(cardinal @ Nov 15 2010, 10:35 PM)
Vince Young was really abysmal. Unfortunately Kerry Collins wasn't ANY better at all. Their whole QB situation is so pedestrian.

He really wasn't abysmal in my opinion, apart from the fumble and late pick. Not efficient, no, but not abysmal. Definitely way better than Collins who overthrew almost every pass and put up 51 yards.

It's pathetic both of them only threw to Moss a total of four (or five, can't remember) times.
ffman
Well, my favorite Titan is gone.

Earlier this week the Titans announced they will either trade or release quarterback Vince Young. Many Titans fans rejoiced at this move, but not me. I enjoyed having Vince as QB, even though he did make many mistakes and has some issues. I have always though that he may have turned out differently if he had the support and trust of his coach. Jeff Fisher never wanted Vince Young, and as a result never gave him a chance.

As a pocket passer Vince greatly improved this year, with a high passer rating and a 8-2 TD/INT ratio. And, you cannot forget his W/L record of 30-17 with the team. Good luck to Vince wherever he goes. I am thinking the 49ers, Raiders, Vikings, or Panthers could be options right now.

I am disappointed to see that Fisher will be back next year.
cardinal
QUOTE(ffman @ Jan 9 2011, 12:16 PM)
As a pocket passer Vince greatly improved this year, with a high passer rating and a 8-2 TD/INT ratio.  And, you cannot forget his W/L record of 30-17 with the team.

His record of 30-17 as a starter looks better than it actually is. I believe he's 14-16 or something ridiculous against teams with winning records.
sportscollectoroz
QUOTE(ffman @ Jan 9 2011, 09:16 AM)
Well, my favorite Titan is gone.

Earlier this week the Titans announced they will either trade or release quarterback Vince Young.  Many Titans fans rejoiced at this move, but not me.  I enjoyed having Vince as QB, even though he did make many mistakes and has some issues.  I have always though that he may have turned out differently if he had the support and trust of his coach.  Jeff Fisher never wanted Vince Young, and as a result never gave him a chance.

So does that mean last year's rookie, Rusty Smith, takes over? Kerry Collins returns for another season? Titans draft a quarterback in this year's draft?

Oz
ffman
Hopefully we move up in the draft to take a QB or something.

As long as Kerry doesn't start....Smith isn't much better.
cardinal
The Titans have the 8th pick this year, they shouldn't have to trade up.
sportscollectoroz
Is there even value in this year's quarterback draft class? Maybe I haven't been following closely enough, but no names stand out to me.

Oz
cardinal
Ryan Mallett, Blaine Gabbert, and Jake Locker will all probably be first-rounders. That's pretty good compared to last year when Sam Bradford was the only 1st-Round QB and he went #1 overall.
sportscollectoroz
QUOTE(cardinal @ Jan 12 2011, 01:07 PM)
Ryan Mallett, Blaine Gabbert, and Jake Locker will all probably be first-rounders. That's pretty good compared to last year when Sam Bradford was the only 1st-Round QB and he went #1 overall.

I guess I haven't been following closely enough. hahaha The only name I've heard in regards to being possible 1st rounders is Locker.

Oz
ffman
Well, Fisher is gone.

It was time for a change. 90% of Titans fans disagree with me, but Fisher was not getting it done. He did provide stability for most of his tenure, but he was beginning to even lose that (VY drama, losing two or three coaches in the last three weeks, etc). 1999-2003 were his best years - the departure of McNair and George soon after hurt him.

Reports are Vince Young will still be gone; although I would love to see him back as a Titan, for him this would be the best move. Since Fisher was fired, I could not imagine the amount of boos Vince would receive at the first home game from bitter fans.

I hope they can pry away Gregg Williams from the Saints. We may not have a quarterback, but with discipline our defense can be great.
ffman
With the 20th pick in the 2012 NFL Draft, the Titans chose WR Kendall Wright from Baylor.

I expected defensive help, but help at receiver is always needed. I hope that Damian Williams still gets a chance this year; he played well to end the year last year.
rednecksims
Williams will get a chance this year with Britt out again possibly. Look for Harper to get a lot of playing time if CJ does not get off to a hot start.

David
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.