Help - Search - Member List - Calendar
Full Version: 2009 Donruss Gridiron Gear Preview
Collector Zone > TCC Features > Product Reviews
Mike Lindegarde
I'm not sure where to post a preview, but I've written a little preview of 2009 Donruss / Panini Gridiron Gear on my blog. You can also get the sell sheet off of my blog for more detailed information.

2009 Donruss Gridiron Gear Preview
athopesend
wow, checked out your blog, nice stuff there. I see what you mean about your review of the Gear. Everything does seem to get lost in the design. I dont know what Panini is doing this year but they lost me somewhere. I love Select and the "Shiny" look of past Select and Prestige Parallels and from what I have seen (I havent gotten any Prestige or Select ... sorry Score Inscriptions ... let's take a regular Score Card and put Inscriptions on it an ... poof, we have a whole new product yet this year) they did away with the shine. Maybe my thoughts will change cause I will def try the Inscriptions at least once to see first hand what they have done to one of my favorite products. Leaf Limited, yeah they look just like the other stuff out already, they might as well called it Prestige Prestigier (dont know if thats a word or not ... lol) I'm all about the design of a card, but like you said, the patches in alot of their releases get lost in the design and you have to look twice to see them. Anyways, great job on your blog, I will def keep checking it out now that I know that it exsists
northicehero99
Mike great analysis and comparison. Nothing will compare to the 2005 GG, that was a great product and the swatches were awesome. I pulled a few patches last year and the dime size holes they are in really do not help, if it were not for the thickness of the card, you might not even notice the patches. We will have to see how this product is, but I agree it looks like it is never going to go back to that great 2005 product.
mjda
Those dual and triple patches look like they were designed by amateurs. You can actually see the line where the photos were separated all the way into the football field area. I wonder why they didn't use one field, and cut the players out. laugh.gif
Gforce083
Call me crazy but this stuff looks great! I'm excited for the release!
Mike Lindegarde
QUOTE(mjda @ Jul 24 2009, 08:10 AM)
Those dual and triple patches look like they were designed by amateurs. You can actually see the line where the photos were separated all the way into the football field area. I wonder why they didn't use one field, and cut the players out. laugh.gif

Good point. I didn't even pick up on that until you pointed it out. Up until this year I had bought at least one box of Threads and Gridiron gear each year. I don't think I'm going to bother with either of them this year.
Gforce083
QUOTE(Mike Lindegarde @ Jul 24 2009, 08:30 AM)
I don't think I'm going to bother with either of them this year.

Don't be silly wink.gif Besides, I bet that graphic error will be fixed as the cards on the sell sheet haven't even been printed or created yet. They are simply graphic images off the computer...much like the Classics sell sheet features rookies in college uni, but as we all know the majority (especially the top pics) are in their pro unis or OTA gear.
mjda
QUOTE(Gforce083 @ Jul 24 2009, 09:40 AM)
I bet that graphic error will be fixed

I would certainly like to think so!
Mike Lindegarde
QUOTE(Gforce083 @ Jul 24 2009, 10:40 AM)
Don't be silly wink.gif Besides, I bet that graphic error will be fixed as the cards on the sell sheet haven't even been printed or created yet. They are simply graphic images off the computer...much like the Classics sell sheet features rookies in college uni, but as we all know the majority (especially the top pics) are in their pro unis or OTA gear.

My decision not to buy boxes this year has nothing to do with the "graphic error". Honestly, that wouldn't even bother me that much if it weren't fixed.

It has more to do with the fact that I can just buy the Jim Brown auto on eBay for less than the cost of a box. Also, the boxes I purchased that last two years just resulted in the hits being an autograph of a guy that isn't in the NFL anymore and two single color jersey cards.

I fully understand that one should never buy wax expecting to get a better value than buying singles would offer. For me to want to buy the box, I have to have a decent shot at a great hit and I have to like the base / inserts. This product doesn't do that for me.

Take Allen & Ginter for example. I bought a box of this product because opening ever pack is fun. The autos and relics are almost just a bonus, plus you have a chance at some great autos at a decent price point.

For another example, look at Chronology. You have a decent shot at hitting an auto that would cost way more than the box did to buy. I don't see that with this product.

It's just my opinion. I've had to become extremely selective when it comes to what products I can buy a box of and this year's Gridiron Gear doesn't do it for me.
marcus42
I wish that panini would innovate a little. Things seem quite redundant around donini.
Mike Lindegarde
QUOTE(marcus42 @ Jul 24 2009, 04:16 PM)
I wish that panini would innovate a little. Things seem quite redundant around donini.

Also very true. There isn't a while lot of difference over the past few years.
faulkrules
I prefer card design with right angles and clean geometry, all of these crazy patterns and background clutter really detract from the images and jerseys IMO.

Bad:

user posted image
user posted image
user posted image
user posted image
user posted image

Good:
user posted image
user posted image
user posted image
user posted image
user posted image
Mike Lindegarde
QUOTE(faulkrules @ Jul 25 2009, 12:04 AM)
I prefer card design with right angles and clean geometry, all of these crazy patterns and background clutter really detract from the images and jerseys.

I feel the same way. I like it when there is some reason for the design on the cards. The odd shape in the background of the base cards... why is it there?
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.