Help - Search - Member List - Calendar
Full Version: 2009 Topps Magic (Gforce Style)
Collector Zone > TCC Features > Product Reviews
Gforce083
user posted image

On July 3rd, 2009 for the first time since 1951 Topps brought back the original Magic cards…2009 Topps Magic. The set features and checklist of 250 players, ALL with mini and autographed variations! Each box guarantees 3 autographs (No GU/Patch cards in the set) Lets take a look…

The base cards feature a retro 1951 Topps Magic design, which I think is really cool. Retro is in these days and Topps certainly took notice of that with this set. All players are featured in their college uniforms…also really cool! The player photographs seem to have some sort of “painted” effect to them which helps give the card that retro look at feel. The pictures are framed in a thin black border with a thick white border on the outside of the card.

user posted image

(There is a trivia question on the back off all the cards. In order to see the answer you must rub a coin below as it states...and the answer really does reveal itself!)

Rookie cards…well there are no designated “Rookie Cards” in the set. As you see below the 2009 Rookie class are featured in the set just like the veteran and HOF players. They are simply part of the base set.

user posted image

HOF cards share the exact same design and again there is no visual difference from current veterans and 2009 rookies.

user posted image

Autographed variation of the base set (sticker autos).

user posted image

Various insert sets throughout the product include All-American, Alumni (featuring a dual autographed variation), Mini’s, Black Bordered Mini’s, Magic Thrills, ’48 Magic and Historical Events. The product is also said to have randomly inserted ORIGINAL 1951 Topps Magic Cards (I did not pull any out of 3 boxes).

user posted image

Mini's:

user posted image

CONCLUSION:
Minus the so-so checklist (features great names like Jim Brown, Tom Brady, Terry Bradshaw and lame names like D.J. Shockley, Marcus Smith and Reggie Brown) I think Topps has created something great. I don’t know if this product will be as popular as 2008 Topps Mayo was, but for the price ($75-$80/box) I think 2009 Topps Magic delivers.

It’s a cool idea and something we haven’t seen in a while in this hobby…something different! It’s refreshing to see a company stepping out a little and making a different product. As I said earlier, it’s great design with a very retro feel…there’s even some color variation in the white borders of the base cards to give it that vintage look. I give this a 3.25 on the Gforce meter, only because of the so-so checklist.

user posted image
Johnny Number 5
nice campbell

j
Gforce083
QUOTE(Johnny Number 5 @ Jul 3 2009, 11:32 PM)
nice campbell

j

What Campbell isn't nice tongue.gif
aceecards
congrats on an excellent box and nice review!
marcus42
is the Mini and black mini the only parallels?

no serial numbered cards, correct?
Rhody_Red_Pats
QUOTE(marcus42 @ Jul 4 2009, 10:39 AM)
is the Mini and black mini the only parallels?

no serial numbered cards, correct?

The only numbered cards I have seen pulled so far are the dual autos
Gforce083
QUOTE(Rhody_Red_Pats @ Jul 4 2009, 10:20 AM)
The only numbered cards I have seen pulled so far are the dual autos

I believe that is correct...all dual and triple autos are #'d. There are also autographed versions of the '48 Magic set which are said to be #'d to 10.
Gforce083
I just saw the first Jason Campbell auto from this set on ebay. During my live break I was asking why players such as D.J. Shockley where included and Rhody_Red_Pats made the comment that Topps was looking to liquidate all their left off Shockley sticker autos....

After seeing Jason Campbell's auto card I'm beginning to think that's EXACTLY what Topps is doing with this product. In '05 and '06 Jason on signed "J- C- 17" from '07 on he's always signed "J- C-ll 17" and this 09 Topps Magic auto looks exactly like his rookie year auto.
uabtripp
That "so-so" checklist seems fine to me. This product is about COLLEGE FOOTBALL not necessarily NFL. DJ Shockley lead Georgia to an SEC title and Reggie Brown was a good receiver for Georgia also. So maybe not a great NFL checklist but for what the product is about, it is GREAT! You don't see too many D.J. cards anymore do you? So it is fun to see former college greats on new releases.
Gforce083
QUOTE(uabtripp @ Jul 5 2009, 01:59 AM)
That "so-so" checklist seems fine to me. This product is about COLLEGE FOOTBALL not necessarily NFL. DJ Shockley lead Georgia to an SEC title and Reggie Brown was a good receiver for Georgia also. So maybe not a great NFL checklist but for what the product is about, it is GREAT! You don't see too many D.J. cards anymore do you? So it is fun to see former college greats on new releases.

Shockley was an OK college quarterback...he won't be someone the college football community will talk about for years to come...not even the diehard Georgia fan. But I guess that's personal opinion smile.gif
marcus42
This is 2007 Upper Deck artifacts again, except done much better!

They made a fun interesting set and included autographs of players they wanted to move out...its a smart decision because they included rookies and this will be a great set builders product.
cardcrazed
very informative review! Still on the fence as to whether I will buy a box or not........

Justin
MWS
Do you have the checklist for the Group A autos?
Gforce083
QUOTE(MWS @ Jul 14 2009, 08:24 AM)
Do you have the checklist for the Group A autos?

No, the checklist included in the box didn't include the auto groups
SportsFan123
I like this product.

I've only busted one box of this stuff so far.

Pulled a Marcus Griffin auto, Adrian Arrington auto and probably one of the best one's to get as far as RC's go Matthew Stafford auto.

Was pretty happy with my first box.

Anyway nice review I'll definatly be getting more of this stuff as the year goes on.

Peace
CubbieBlue666
sasports
does anyone know if there are SPs in the set and if so a checklist? I keep seeing that there are but nobody can provide a list or show me where the cards are SPd? Thanks
Gforce083
QUOTE(sasports @ Jul 19 2009, 12:23 PM)
does anyone know if there are SPs in the set and if so a checklist?  I keep seeing that there are but nobody can provide a list or show me where the cards are SPd?  Thanks

This list will tell you
http://www.topps.com/product/ProductCheckL...Product_Id=1332
sasports
thanks!
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.