Help - Search - Member List - Calendar
Full Version: 2009 Donruss Classics
Collector Zone > TCC Features > Product Reviews
Gforce083
user posted image

July 1st marked Panini’s first release of Classics Football. Classics has always been one of the top releases each year since it’s inception. There’s been a lot of concern that Classics would fall off this year with Donruss now being owned and operated by Panini. Let’s take a look and see how they did…

The base cards feature a copper “vintage” style background with a white frame around the card. The cards give off a matte finish with a glossy photograph of the player depicted on the card. As with the previous release of 2009 Playoff Prestige, the Classics logo is simply printed in ink of the cards surface. We’ve always known Donruss to foil emboss the brand logo and many times the player’s names. The lack of this feature makes the card look very dull and lifeless in my opinion. Especially when it comes to the copper, silver, gold and platinum parallels which featured a holographic look to them in the past…you don’t get that this year.

user posted image

Rookie cards share the same design as the base set with the word “ROOKIE” printed on the top left corner of the card. Rookies are numbered to /999 with Copper /250, Silver /100, Gold /50 and Platinum /25 variations.

user posted image

Rookie Autographs share the same look and design as the base rookie set but vary in numbering from /499, /399 & /299.

user posted image

Classics still features the Legend cards sharing the same design as the base with the word “LEGEND” printed on the top left corner of the card. Base Legends are numbered to /999 with Copper /250, Silver /100, Gold /50 and Platinum /25 variations.

user posted image

Various insert sets throughout the product include Monday Night Hereos, Saturday Stars, Sunday’s Best, Classic Singles, Classic Combos, Classic Triples and Classic Quads, Membership VIP, School Colors and Dress Code. These insert sets feature autographed, patch and jersey variations as well.

user posted image

Each case seems to carry 1 Cut Autograph, 1 School Colors on card Rookie Auto and 1 Legend Auto.

user posted image

CONCLUSION:
2009 Donruss Classics has been a staple in the hobby community for many years and always seems to be one of the hottest products around. This year’s product doesn’t seem to disappoint aside from the lack of the foil embossed/holographic brand logo. Overall I’d have to say I’m satisfied with this product. It does feature name of the “no name rookie” autographs, which isn’t a plus, but really want product doesn’t include these in today’s hobby? We are all looking for the next “Tom Brady” so hopefully one year a few of these “no name” autographs will turn into stars. Panini guarantees 3 hits per box but many have found that the many of these boxes deliver 4 hits…can’t complain about that.

user posted image
cardcrazed
another great review, looks like it will be on my wish list!

Justin
Stlouisrams1600
I know what I'm asking for my birthday! Thanks for the review Gary.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.