Help - Search - Member List - Calendar
Full Version: 2009 Donruss Elite Football
Collector Zone > TCC Features > Product Reviews
Gforce083
2009 Donruss Elite Fooball

On June 10th Panini released their second NFL Licensed Product in the United States, 2009 Donruss Elite Football. After a less than stellar release of the highly anticipated 2009 Playoff Prestige, Panini was under a lot of pressure from the hobby community to come strong with their next release. After taking over Donruss just a few months ago the pressure has been on Panini to deliver a product on par or even better than what we’ve come to expect with Donruss.

The base cards feature a highly graphic intensive design as most Elite releases have in the past. They are framed on the top and bottom with a “carbon fiber” style boarder an inner modern white frame around the player. Great base design in my opinion.

user posted image

Rookie cards share the same design as the base set with the word “ROOKIE” printed on the top left and right sides. They also have a refractor like surface adding a little “life” to the cards. On top of that they are serial numbered to /999.

user posted image

Rookie Autographs share the same look and design as the base rookie set but vary in numbering from /999, /499 & /299.

user posted image

“Turn of the Century” Rookie Parallel Autographs with varying numberings /250, /200, /100 & /50.

user posted image

Various insert sets throughout the product include the ever-popular die-cut Aspirations (#’d to 100 minus players jersey number), Status Gold (#’d to /24) and Status Red (#’d to players jersey number). Other sets include: Zoning Commission, Chain Reactions, Stars, Throwback Threads, Elite Series, Passing the Torch, College Ties and Prime Targets. These insert sets feature autographed, patch and jersey variations as well.

user posted image

user posted image

CONCLUSION:
Donruss Elite has been a staple in the hobby community for many years and always seems to be one of the hottest products around. However, 2008’s Elite Football let many collectors down. I believe Panini has gotten themselves on the right track with this release of 2009 Donruss Elite.

You can easily feel by holding one of these cards I your hand that Panini put a little more into this release. The cardstock is a little thicker and more sturdy compared to the flimsily feel of 09 Prestige. Also, the foil design and refractive surface brings Panini up to par with previous DLP releases, unlike the cheap look to Panini’s Prestige.

Overall I’d have to say I’m satisfied with this product. It may be full of “no name rookie” autographs, which isn’t a plus, but really want product isn’t? Panini guarantees 3 hits per box but many have found that the majority of these boxes deliver 4 hits, many times being 2 autos and 2 game used pieces. Hopefully this step up in quality means good things are to come especially with this years Classics release. I give this 3.5 out of 5 G's only because the lack of "quality" hits with all the no name rookie autos.

user posted image
faulkrules
I'm liking the G-Meter!!!

Maybe Panini is trying to shift Prestige to a lower end range. They put a lot more work into the SPs and alternate RCs, and drastically reduced the chances to hit a mfd patch.

I was never a fan of Elite, but this years version has changed my mind. Not only are there a predominance of 4-5 hit boxes, but the patches are phenomenal, especially in the Throwback Threads and Stars sets.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.