Help - Search - Member List - Calendar
Full Version: The TCC Movie review thread.
Collector Zone > Water Cooler > Entertainment News
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7
cbware88
This Memorial Day weekend, the family and I watched a ton of movies and so I thought I'd start a Movie Review thread.

Use the following icons in your review:

no.gif no.gif The worst movie ever and don't waste your money

thumbdown.gif OK....for a rental but not the theater

thumbsup.gif A good flick

thumbsup.gif thumbsup.gif The best movie I ever saw!!!!!
cbware88
Star Trek

thumbsup.gif thumbsup.gif

DD316 Star Trek review thread
(dd316 did a thread on this movie also)
ffman
I don't watch enough movies.

I still need to get around to watching Quantum of Solace, and I really enjoy Bond films.
cbware88
The Curious Case of Benjamin Buttons

no.gif no.gif

My wife and I stayed up till like 2am Saturday morning watching this DVD and it was the most boring movie I've ever seen.........My wife actually fell asleep at one point in the movie.
cbware88
has anybody seen The Night at the Museum II?? My kids want to go see it this weekend.

I really liked the first one but I'm worried about this one because of all the hype.............
bigbluecolt93
Terminator Salvation...

no.gif no.gif

If I wasn't with friends, I would've walked out of the theater half way through. Just a bunch of explosions left and right. Absolutely horrendous...can't wait for Transformers to come out though cool.gif
Solid133
Terminator Salvation thumbsup.gif

Great action movie, much better than number 3 in my opinion. The storyline seems to flow well if you've seen the original Terminator(which I had to re-read the plot to the original on wikipedia as I was extremely confused). But anyone who is into action should go see it
cbware88
QUOTE(bigbluecolt93 @ May 26 2009, 02:54 PM)
Terminator Salvation...

no.gif  no.gif 

If I wasn't with friends, I would've walked out of the theater half way through. Just a bunch of explosions left and right. Absolutely horrendous...can't wait for Transformers to come out though cool.gif

Thanks........I can't wait for Transformers as well.
cbware88
QUOTE(Solid133 @ May 26 2009, 02:55 PM)
Terminator Salvation thumbsup.gif

Great action movie, much better than number 3 in my opinion. The storyline seems to flow well if you've seen the original Terminator(which I had to re-read the plot to the original on wikipedia as I was extremely confused). But anyone who is into action should go see it

Good review!!!!!

I told my kids we would wait till this one came out on DVD and then do a Terminator marathon. biggrin.gif biggrin.gif
19th Century Indiana Jones
QUOTE(cbware88 @ May 26 2009, 03:41 PM)
has anybody seen The Night at the Museum II?? My kids want to go see it this weekend.

I really liked the first one but I'm worried about this one because of all the hype.............

Eh... sleeping.gif
cbware88
QUOTE(19th Century Indiana Jones @ May 26 2009, 03:15 PM)
Eh...  sleeping.gif

ohmy.gif REALLY............It was that bad???????
I can't wait for Land Of The Lost. smile.gif

Ster Trek + IMAX = thumbsup.gif thumbsup.gif thumbsup.gif
cbware88
QUOTE(19th Century Indiana Jones @ May 26 2009, 03:16 PM)
I can't wait for Land Of The Lostsmile.gif

My son is really excited about this movie, UP, and GI Joe.
QUOTE(cbware88 @ May 26 2009, 04:16 PM)
ohmy.gif REALLY............It was that bad???????

It's OK at best. Amelia Earhart kept me a bit interested, though. smile.gif
Solid133
Best movie of the summer period will be..................

THE HANGOVER, Mike Tyson singing you can't beat that!
QUOTE(cbware88 @ May 26 2009, 04:18 PM)

The G.I Joe toy doesn't look stupid anymore. UP looks funnier than NATM2. And I was a fan of LOTL:TOS. I was watching a lot of the episodes yesterday on Sci-Fi (14-hour marathon).
Rhody_Red_Pats
Terminator Salvation:
thumbdown.gif

Better than T3 overall, but very flawed. Most of the action scenes were well done and the machines looked cool on the big screen. The final 1/3 of the movie focuses on a different character who is less interesting than the main characters in the previous 2/3. And for something that is supposedly so smart, Skynet takes the most round-about way to stop John Conner. The ending was also very lame.

This article is an interesting read on the original plot of the movie:
http://chud.com/articles/articles/19577/1/...TION/Page1.html

Rhody_Red_Pats
QUOTE(cbware88 @ May 26 2009, 04:18 PM)

I can't wait to see up in 3D this weekend either!

Here's my top 5 most anticipated movies of the summer (in no real order):
UP
The Brothers Bloom
Moon
500 Days of Summer
Inglourious Basterds
QUOTE(Rhody_Red_Pats @ May 26 2009, 05:25 PM)

UP
The Brothers Bloom
Moon
500 Days of Summer
Inglourious Basterds

Didn't they already do a movie about them? They go around hunting werewolves and vampires and such, etc....
Rhody_Red_Pats
QUOTE(19th Century Indiana Jones @ May 26 2009, 05:27 PM)
Didn't they already do a movie about them? They go around hunting werewolves and vampires and such, etc....

I think that's the Brothers Grimm with Heath Ledger and Matt Damon.
QUOTE(Rhody_Red_Pats @ May 26 2009, 05:30 PM)
I think that's the Brothers Grimm with Heath Ledger and Matt Damon.

Whoops!
Ilovetheheat
QUOTE(cbware88 @ May 26 2009, 03:39 PM)
The Curious Case of Benjamin Buttons

thumbsup.gif

I saw this with my Ex-Gf... I thought it was decent. I kinda liked it. Im sure it would have been a better book. Truth be told one of the scenes almost choked me up. ohmy.gif

Almost. tongue.gif
-Jeremy
cbware88
QUOTE(Rhody_Red_Pats @ May 26 2009, 04:25 PM)

UP
The Brothers Bloom
Moon
500 Days of Summer
Inglourious Basterds

confused.gif I only knew one out of the five movies............give us a review once you see them.
cbware88
QUOTE(Ilovetheheat @ May 26 2009, 05:27 PM)
thumbsup.gif

I saw this with my Ex-Gf... I thought it was decent. I kinda liked it. Im sure it would have been a better book. Truth be told one of the scenes almost choked me up. ohmy.gif

Almost. tongue.gif
-Jeremy

I thought it would be a good romantic movie for the wife and I............Boy wa I wrong. She said she kept waiting to see Brad Pitt naked ohmy.gif ohmy.gif
Rhody_Red_Pats
QUOTE(cbware88 @ May 26 2009, 06:31 PM)
I thought it would be a good romantic movie for the wife and I............Boy wa I wrong. She said she kept waiting to see Brad Pitt naked ohmy.gif  ohmy.gif

I was also disappointed by Benjamin Button (though not by the lack of male nudity tongue.gif ). It neither connected with me emotionally nor did it really delve into the implications of aging backward.
cbware88
QUOTE(Rhody_Red_Pats @ May 26 2009, 07:12 PM)
I was also disappointed by Benjamin Button (though not by the lack of male nudity  tongue.gif ).  It neither connected with me emotionally nor did it really delve into the implications of aging backward.

I had to read the book in high school and ......YES.....it was better than the movie. (Well; at least the cliff notes were rolleyes.gif rolleyes.gif )
cbware88
Has anybody seen X-Men: Wolverine??? I want to go see it but my buddy said it sucks and I should wait until it comes out on DVD.
Rhody_Red_Pats
QUOTE(cbware88 @ May 27 2009, 03:00 PM)
Has anybody seen X-Men: Wolverine??? I want to go see it but my buddy said it sucks and I should wait until it comes out on DVD.

Yeah, I agree with your buddy. Watch X-men 1 or 2 if you need a Wolverine fix.
cardinal
QUOTE(cbware88 @ May 27 2009, 02:00 PM)

4 Reviews here: (I saw all of these in theatres except for the last one)

X-Men Origins: Wolverine. thumbsup.gif

I saw it and enjoyed it. It was a typical super hero movie. If you like super hero movies, watch it, if you don't, then don't watch it. It was like the Hulk, Spiderman, etc. It had a lot of action and kept me interested throughout the whole movie. The only complaint I have is that Cyclops, my favorite of the X-Men, looked really stupid. He was a high school kid with pink glasses.

Observe & Report. thumbsup.gif thumbsup.gif

This is probably the funniest comedy I've seen in 2 years. I was laughing out loud almost the entire movie. It is hilarious. It's about a security guard at a mall (Seth Rogen) trying to catch this guy running through the parking lot flashing everybody. It's rated R, so yes it does have a lot of swearing and crude humor and is not a "family movie". It is nothing like Paul Blart: Mall Cop, it is MUCH MUCH funnier. I definetely recommend you watch this.

The Haunting in Connecticut. thumbdown.gif

I came into this movie thinking it was going to be rediculously scary...and...it wasn't (I will go back to this shortly). I wouldn't give it a thumbs up, but it wasn't really a thumbs down either, I only gave it that rating because on cbware88's scale a thumbs down is considered OK and a movie worth renting. But like I said, it wasn't THAT scary of a movie. It did have a lot of those parts where a loud, short piano plays when a ghost walks by a mirror and stuff like that. It was just a good ghost story that apparently happened to a kid in 1987. You can look up the storyline for this movie somewhere else, it's hard for me to explain it to you without giving it away.

My Bloody Valentine thumbdown.gif thumbdown.gif

I gave this movie 2 thumpsdowns because there was no inbetween on the scale from "OK" to "worse movie ever don't waste your money." This movie is about a miner that kills people with a pick axe in a mine. It really isn't all that great, and there's much better horror movies out there. I personally thought The Haunting in Connecticut was a lot better than this.

sorry for the long read, hopefully you enjoyed.
cbware88
QUOTE(cardinal @ May 27 2009, 02:39 PM)
4 Reviews here: (I saw all of these in theatres except for the last one)

X-Men Origins: Wolverine. thumbsup.gif

I saw it and enjoyed it. It was a typical super hero movie. If you like super hero movies, watch it, if you don't, then don't watch it. It was like the Hulk, Spiderman, etc. It had a lot of action and kept me interested throughout the whole movie. The only complaint I have is that Cyclops, my favorite of the X-Men, looked really stupid. He was a high school kid with pink glasses.

Observe & Report. thumbsup.gif thumbsup.gif

This is probably the funniest comedy I've seen in 2 years. I was laughing out loud almost the entire movie. It is hilarious. It's about a security guard at a mall (Seth Rogen) trying to catch this guy running through the parking lot flashing everybody. It's rated R, so yes it does have a lot of swearing and crude humor and is not a "family movie". It is nothing like Paul Blart: Mall Cop, it is MUCH MUCH funnier. I definetely recommend you watch this.

The Haunting in Connecticut. thumbdown.gif

I came into this movie thinking it was going to be rediculously scary...and...it wasn't (I will go back to this shortly). I wouldn't give it a thumbs up, but it wasn't really a thumbs down either, I only gave it that rating because on cbware88's scale a thumbs down is considered OK and a movie worth renting. But like I said, it wasn't THAT scary of a movie. It did have a lot of those parts where a loud, short piano plays when a ghost walks by a mirror and stuff like that.  It was just a good ghost story that apparently happened to a kid in 1987. You can look up the storyline for this movie somewhere else, it's hard for me to explain it to you without giving it away.

My Bloody Valentine thumbdown.gif thumbdown.gif

I gave this movie 2 thumpsdowns because there was no inbetween on the scale from "OK" to "worse movie ever don't waste your money." This movie is about a miner that kills people with a pick axe in a mine. It really isn't all that great, and there's much better horror movies out there. I personally thought The Haunting in Connecticut was a lot better than this.

sorry for the long read, hopefully you enjoyed.

Thanks Cardinal!!!!!!!!

Those were some good reviews.

I saw Mall Cop at the drive-in with the kids so that is why I passed on Observe and Report. Based on your review, I might have to reconsider.
metsfan2427
Night at the Museum II thumbsup.gif
it was a good movie. defiantly a family movie.
cbware88
The drive-in is showing Up and Hannah Montana this weekend and my kids want to go..............I don't mind watching UP (It looks pretty funny) but I don't know about the other one.

Hey; do you guys remember back when MTV had the celebrity showdowns?? I think one version was a clay cartoon one and one version was a live one. How about we have a Hannah Montana/Britney Spears cage match!!!!!!! laugh.gif
cardinal
QUOTE(cbware88 @ May 28 2009, 12:28 PM)
MTV had the celebrity showdowns?? I think one version was a clay cartoon one

CELEBRITY DEATHMATCH. That was one of the funniest shows I've ever seen.

P.S. We should change the rating system for the reviews to a scale out of 10.
cbware88
QUOTE(cardinal @ May 28 2009, 02:23 PM)
P.S. We should change the rating system for the reviews to a scale out of 10.

Do you have a movie worthy of a ten thumbs up review?????
cardinal
Not a recent one.
cbware88
I heard the funniest thing on the radio today..........

The disjockey said he saw a movie about a guy who went shopping with his wife all day........it was called Drag me to Hell laugh.gif laugh.gif
Rhody_Red_Pats
UP

This is why I love movies. It balances adventure, humor, and emotion perfectly. Both the story and the animation are great. I particularly thought the animators did a great job in capturing the mannerisms of a real dog. The first 10 minutes do a better job at exploring life and love than the entire running time of a certain Oscar-nominated picture from last year. Seeing it in 3D isn't essential, but worth it; it adds depth to the picture but is not so distracting that it takes you out of the story. Great movie for all ages and the best movie I've seen so far this year.
cbware88
QUOTE(Rhody_Red_Pats @ May 29 2009, 10:57 PM)
UP

thumbsup.gif  thumbsup.gif

This is why I love movies.  It balances adventure, humor, and emotion perfectly.  Both the story and the animation are great.  I particularly thought the animators did a great job in capturing the mannerisms of a real dog.  The first 10 minutes do a better job at exploring life and love than the entire running time of a certain Oscar-nominated picture from last year.  Seeing it in 3D isn't essential, but worth it; it adds depth to the picture but is not so distracting that it takes you out of the story.  Great movie for all ages and the best movie I've seen so far this year.

We just got back from the drive-in and UP was OUTSTANDING!!!!!!!!

Your review is dead-on...............
cbware88
At the risk of losing my man card, we also saw the movie Hannah Montana.......and...... my review is:

OK...... mad.gif .....stop laughing everybody tongue.gif It was a good movie with a fairly good plot. laugh.gif laugh.gif
cbware88
Has anybody seen Land of the Lost???

My kids want to go and see it.......we love Will Ferrell
Rhody_Red_Pats
The Hangover

One of the most consistently funny movies I've seen in a long time. I was laughing so hard that I probably missed some of the jokes. I can't go into much detail because it wouldn't be TCC-appropriate, but this is a hilarious movie.
cbware88
QUOTE(Rhody_Red_Pats @ Jun 9 2009, 11:18 PM)
The Hangover

One of the most consistently funny movies I've seen in a long time.  I was laughing so hard that I probably missed some of the jokes.  I can't go into much detail because it wouldn't be TCC-appropriate, but this is a hilarious movie.

Thanks for the review.
Cades
QUOTE(Rhody_Red_Pats @ Jun 9 2009, 11:18 PM)
The Hangover

One of the most consistently funny movies I've seen in a long time.  I was laughing so hard that I probably missed some of the jokes.  I can't go into much detail because it wouldn't be TCC-appropriate, but this is a hilarious movie.

Saw it Saturday, was absolutely hilarious!
cbware88
anybody have a review??????
cardinal
Star Trek thumbsup.gif
cbware88
anybody have a review??????
Cades
Saw Taking of Pelham 1 2 3 last friday, I liked it a lot.
cbware88
QUOTE(Cades @ Jun 17 2009, 09:05 PM)
Saw Taking of Pelham 1 2 3 last friday, I liked it a lot.

Man!!!!! ohmy.gif ohmy.gif I want to see that so badly!!!!!!

We just got done watching:

no.gif Gran Torino with Clint Eastwood - I mean I love Eastwood, don't get me wrong but the plot was weak and the ending sucked. The older he gets the worse the movies are................I think.
cardinal
QUOTE(cbware88 @ Jun 17 2009, 09:09 PM)
no.gif  Gran Torino with Clint Eastwood - I mean I love Eastwood, don't get me wrong but the plot was weak and the ending sucked. The older he gets the worse the movies are................I think.

I'm really looking forward to seeing that. Your the first person I heard that said they didn't like it so I think I'm still gonna go see it.
cbware88
QUOTE(cardinal @ Jun 18 2009, 11:27 AM)
I'm really looking forward to seeing that. Your the first person I heard that said they didn't like it so I think I'm still gonna go see it.

If your expecting a Dirty Harry type movie, you will be disappointed. It's more along the lines of Tuesdays with Morrie or his other movie..................Unforgiven (which was actually better than this one)
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.