Help - Search - Member List - Calendar
Full Version: 2009 Playoff Prestige (Panini)
Collector Zone > TCC Features > Product Reviews
Gforce083
user posted image

Panini started off their 2009 season in mid-May with the first NFL Licensed Football product of the year; 09 Playoff Prestige. This also marked the first Panini release in the United States. After taking over Donruss just a few months ago the pressure has been on Panini to deliver a product on par or even better than what we’ve come to expect with Donruss.

The base card design is a little graphic intensive, not just your basic picture and player name. However, the look still gives off a simple and clean look. Then when we flip the card over to look at the back…you be the judge of what “stands out” the most.

user posted image

Rookie cards share the same design as the base set with the word “ROOKIE” printed on the left and right sides. Rookie parallels include “Draft Picks” and “Xtra Points” (different variations). As always Prestige has short-printed a number of rookie cards but the list has yet to be released.

user posted image

Various insert sets throughout the product include: Xtra Points, TD Sensations, True Colors, True Colors, NFL Draft 2009, Prestigious Pros, Prestigious Picks, Rookie Review, Stars of the NFL, Inside the Numb3ers, and Connections. With each insert set including game used and autographed variations.

user posted image

Busting a 12-box case yielded the following:

ROOKIES:
Base RC: 291
DRAFT PICKS RC /999: 36
XTRA PT RC (Red/Gold/Purple/Black): 18

INSERTS:
XTRA PT Parallels (Red/Gold/Green/Purple): 18
Prestigious Pros (All Variations): 29
Prestigious Picks (All Variations): 33
Rookie Reviews: 12
Stars of the NFL: 7
Inside the Numb3ers: 3
NFL Draft 2009: 12
Connections: 11
True Colors: 1
TD Sensations: 6

HITS: 47 Total Hits (Shorted One)
League Leaders: 4
Prestigious Pros GU (All Variations): 10 (2 Patches)
Prestigious Picks GU (All Variations): 5
Prestigious Picks Auto (All Variations): 4
True Colors GU: 1 (Patch)
True Colors Auto: 1
NFL Draft Auto: 2
Rookie Review GU: 5
Rookie Review Auto: 5
Rookie Draft Picks Auto: 7
Starts of the NFL GU: 1 (Patch)
NFL Draft Patch Auto: 1
TD Sensations GU: 1

CONCLUSION:
During the time leading up to the release of this product I read the news about Donruss being bought out by Panini after Panini had already signed an exclusive deal with the NBA. I knew little to nothing about Panini, but seeing these two large moves they made into our hobby gave me the impression they’d only make this hobby better.

Opening the first pack of the much anticipated 2009 Playoff Prestige (Panini) Football I felt utter disappointment. Holding that first card in my hand I could immediately see and feel the lack of quality. If I had to sum it up in two words they’d be “Cut Corners” (no pun intended). With the weakened economy I understand businesses looking for ways to save money and increase profits, but Panini cut way too many corners. Ruining what DLP created with 2008 Playoff Prestige (man was that a great product!). This year we have cheaper, thinner card stock, lack of foil accents, (such as Playoff Prestige logo). As long as I’ve known Playoff Prestige in previous years as well as other DLP products we’ve come to expect the brand logo foil embossed into the card; now all we have is the brand logo simply printed in ink. The XTRA POINTS and DRAFT PICKS parallels look very cheap as well. Once again the lack of foil accents and lack of the reflective surface we've come to know with those parallels.

user posted image
northicehero99
Ouch, that review really bashes Prestige, hope they pick it up in the next product and listen otherwise we might be seeing the end of the era. I always thought they did a good job with the hockey stickers but they were catering to a younger crowd, than a product like this. Only time will tell I guess.
WHyFLy
I personally like the product ,but it is just me. I have been a huge fan of prestige. I have to agree though that former years have produced better quality prestige then this year. Overall I rate this year a 6.5/10. Oh yeah, this week I am buying box of this so gettting ready for a live box break!
Gforce083
QUOTE(WHyFLy @ May 16 2009, 04:27 PM)
I personally like the product ,but it is just me. I have been a huge fan of prestige. I have to agree though that former years have produced better quality prestige then this year. Overall I rate this year a 6.5/10. Oh yeah, this week I am buying box of this so gettting ready for a live box break!

Yes, I wouldn't absolutely rule this product out and tell people not to buy it. It's just the fact that they took a HUGE step back in quality and you can literally feel and see the corners they cut to save money at our expense.
WHyFLy
Exactly Gforce, see my favorite Prestige was the 06 one. Even though the hits were less back then the quality was excellent.
webbgem
Nice review G...it's not a huge deal but I think the Panini logo on the back of the card looks a little cheesy.
Gforce083
QUOTE(webbgem @ May 18 2009, 12:20 PM)
Nice review G...it's not a huge deal but I think the Panini logo on the back of the card looks a little cheesy.

exactly!
broscards
Very nice review Gary!
Gforce083
QUOTE(broscards @ May 18 2009, 08:09 PM)
Very nice review Gary!

Thanks man
Mike Lindegarde
very good review. i bought some packs of this (6 total) and I just wasn't that interested in it. I couldn't put my finger on it, but I just wasn't interested.

You've helped me figure out what was missing: quality. I'm not a fan of over the top foil and flash (SPx and the like), but things like the logo and little pieces here and there really help. That, and the quality of the card stock.

I won't bother with a box of this stuff. Hopefully they get things figured out by the time Classics and Threads roll around later this year.
ffman
One problem I see that could help the patch-fakers:

On Chris Johnson auctions I see no label describing whether the piece is a "game-worn jersey" or "game-worn jersey - prime", "patch", etc.
Gforce083
QUOTE(ffman @ May 19 2009, 03:50 PM)
One problem I see that could help the patch-fakers:

On Chris Johnson auctions I see no label describing whether the piece is a "game-worn jersey" or "game-worn jersey - prime", "patch", etc.

Very true, that is not printed on the front of the card this year. But I believe they are still doing the Kodak invisible image thing. Who really wants to send there patch cards in for authentication though right?
ffman
This could be a bad thing for the hobby if this carries over to other DLP product.

QUOTE(Gforce083 @ May 19 2009, 02:52 PM)
Very true, that is not printed on the front of the card this year.

cardinal
Funniest thing about 09 Prestige: Graham Harrell (undrafted) has a DRAFT PICKS insert.

laugh.gif
tj4eck
QUOTE(cardinal @ May 19 2009, 04:36 PM)
Funniest thing about 09 Prestige: Graham Harrell (undrafted) has a DRAFT PICKS insert.

laugh.gif

Jeremiah Johnson and Quan Cosby also do

Real good review Gary
I have to disagree...I like this release - its simple and the inserts are well designed
barberromo2008
I have been in like 3 different box or case group breaks. This is a really nice product. I was also shorted a hit and am waiting for that. I love that there was no redemptions. Panini is starting off with a hit product
Gforce083
QUOTE(barberromo2008 @ Jun 2 2009, 09:05 PM)
I have been in like 3 different box or case group breaks. This is a really nice product. I was also shorted a hit and am waiting for that. I love that there was no redemptions. Panini is starting off with a hit product

You are one of the few who seem to really like this product. As stated in my review, the quality or rather LACK of quality put into the card/product really turned me off. 2008 Prestige was one of the great products in many years and I don't think Panini lived up to that with 2009 Prestige.

That's why we are all entitled to our own opinions, but you won't see 09 Prestige selling for $115/box like 08 Prestige.
rnpurdue
Good review. This is my 3rd Playoff Prestige set I am trying to collect, and am also disappointed for a couple of reasons. The main reason being the lack of inserts. Those are the hardest cards to acquire, not the SP's. And, I also don't like the variation rookie cards, but that is just me. This will be my last Prestige set I try putting together. Going to just wait for Topps and Score from now on. sad.gif .
MWS
Any Idea if the short print list is out yet?
vito
Officials at Panini America confirmed the following TEN Rookie Cards were short-printed in Prestige:

#110 B.J. Raji
#114 Brain Cushing
#120 Chase Daniels
#140 Graham Harrell
#142 Hakeem Nicks
#144 Ian Johnson
#149 Jared Cook
#159 Juaquin Iglesias
#180 Mohamed Massaquoi
#199 Shonn Greene

link

Additional there are these variations:

Draft Day Photographs:
101 Aaron Curry Seattle Seahawks
114 Brian Cushing Houston Texans
115 Brian Orakpo Washington Redskins
158 Josh Freeman Tampa Bay Buccaneers
172 Matthew Stafford Detroit Lions
174 Michael Crabtree San Francisco 49ers

College Uniform Variations
112 Brandon Pettigrew klahoma State - White
116 Brian Robiskie Ohio State - Red
119 Chase Coffman Missouri - Yellow
122 Chris Wells Ohio State - White
124 Clint Sintim Virginia - White
127 D.J. Moore Vanderbilt - Gold
130 Darrius Heyward-Bey Maryland - White
134 Derrick Williams Penn State - Blue
135 Donald Brown Uconn - Blue
140 Graham Harrell Texas Tech - Red
142 Hakeem Nicks North Carolina - White
146 James Casey Rice - White
148 James Laurinaitis Ohio State - Red
152 Javon Ringer Michigan State - Carry football in left hand
153 Jeremiah Johnson Oregon - Yellow
155 Jeremy Maclin Missouri - Yellow
159 Juaquin Iglesias Oklahoma - White
161 Kenny Britt Rutgers - Red
164 Knowshon Moreno Georgia - White
166 LeSean McCoy Pittsburgh - Blue
169 Louis Murphy Florida - White
170 Malcolm Jenkins Ohio State - Red
171 Mark Sanchez USC - White
181 Nate Davis Ball State - White
184 Pat White West Virginia - White
187 Percy Harvin Florida - White
191 Ramses Barden Cal Poly - Without football
192 Rashad Jennings Liberty - Carry ball in front of body, arm extended
194 Rey Maualuga USC - White
199 Shonn Greene Iowa - White

link
NYStateOfMind1976
QUOTE(barberromo2008 @ Jun 2 2009, 10:05 PM)

I wihs they would have carried the lack of redemptions into Elite but alas redemptions are here. I know it was a dream to hope for a product without them. I still luv Elite though so it is all good!!! LOL:) Come an Panaini learn from your mistakes in prestige and knock it out of the park the rest of this year and into next year!!
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.