Help - Search - Member List - Calendar
Full Version: Upgrades to dedicated server
Collector Zone > TCC Features > News and Announcements
bob_TCC
All,

You may have experienced approximately 5+ minutes of downtime around 6:15 PM EST on Thursday, 4/9/09. This was due to the dedicated server being taken offline long enough to double the memory.

With the increased memory, we've already seen that the overall performance is even better - with most of the tasks required to keep the site operating being able to be performed using the available memory as opposed to using temporary files on the hard drive.

In addition to the memory upgrade that is already complete, the hard drive is being upgraded - increasing the available disk space by 5 times the current amount! This upgrade is more involved and will require the site to be offline for approximately 1-1.5 hours.

The hard drive upgrade is scheduled to begin at 9 AM EST on Friday, 4/24/09. Again, this upgrade should be complete within approximately 1-1.5 hours. Once the upgrade is complete, additional details will be provided about increases to the amount of files that members are able to upload through various tools. smile.gif

Thanks for your understanding about the need for this short period of scheduled downtime.

-Bob
bigalexx
Thanks for the notice! Looking forward to an upgraded, faster TCC!
sahetu
Okay, no one schedule group breaks at that time! wink.gif
urbanmonk
QUOTE(sahetu @ Apr 18 2009, 10:19 PM)
Okay, no one schedule group breaks at that time! wink.gif

9 AM Eastern is 6 AM here, I do all my breaks at 6 in the morning laugh.gif

Thanks for the notice Bob smile.gif
jwman92
Thanks for the advance notice!
I've noticed that most TCC pages do load faster now!
ffman
Nice job with the "behind-the-scenes" work to keep TCC better than ever Bob!
2000 rushing yards
Nice Bob i know this has happened before, looking forward to a better TCC
Johnny Number 5
QUOTE(2000 rushing yards @ Apr 19 2009, 02:43 PM)
Nice Bob i know this has happened before, looking forward to a better TCC

smile.gif smile.gif smile.gif
bob_TCC
As a reminder...

The hard drive upgrade is scheduled to begin at 9 AM EST on Friday, 4/24/09. Again, this upgrade should be complete within approximately 1-1.5 hours.

Thanks for your understanding about the need for this short period of scheduled downtime.

-Bob
faulkrules
QUOTE(bob_TCC @ Apr 23 2009, 01:17 PM)
As a reminder...

The hard drive upgrade is scheduled to begin at 9 AM EST on Friday, 4/24/09.  Again, this upgrade should be complete within approximately 1-1.5 hours. 

-Bob

Keep the machine well-oiled Bob!
Gforce083
no need to turn it off Bob...just pop that bad boy open and plug in the new hard drives while it's still on! What's the worst that could happen? ONLY KIDDING!
bob_TCC
QUOTE(Gforce083 @ Apr 23 2009, 04:56 PM)
no need to turn it off Bob...just pop that bad boy open and plug in the new hard drives while it's still on! What's the worst that could happen? ONLY KIDDING!

Actually, the downtime is primarily needed to transfer a very large amount of data from one hard drive to another hard drive via a mirroring process. Otherwise, it really wouldn't take that long to "plug in" another hard drive.

-Bob
Gforce083
QUOTE(bob_TCC @ Apr 23 2009, 03:58 PM)
Actually, the downtime is primarily needed to transfer a very large amount of data from one hard drive to another hard drive via a mirroring process.  Otherwise, it really wouldn't take that long to "plug in" another hard drive.

-Bob

oh yes I remember mirroring hard drives...it can be very time consuming. Used to do it all the time at a former job smile.gif
mjda
QUOTE(bob_TCC @ Apr 23 2009, 03:58 PM)
Actually, the downtime is primarily needed to transfer a very large amount of data from one hard drive to another hard drive via a mirroring process.  Otherwise, it really wouldn't take that long to "plug in" another hard drive.

-Bob

Ahh, the joys of upgrading hardware. Been there, done that! Haha! I'm actually wondering, though, how much HDD space does the site actually take up, and where does all that space come from? I couldn't imagine the SQLdb is over a few gigs (if that?), and how much space could a few avatars take up? Given I've never run a site quite of this magnitude so I could be quite a bit off on the SQL statement, but I have a huge db that's has data dumped into it by the second that is still under 1Gb. Luckily that server is sitting in my floor under my desk so if it ever does need an upgrade only I dictate how long it's down. LOL!
bob_TCC
QUOTE(mjda @ Apr 23 2009, 06:12 PM)
I'm actually wondering, though, how much HDD space does the site actually take up, and where does all that space come from? I couldn't imagine the SQLdb is over a few gigs (if that?), and how much space could a few avatars take up?

I'll have to look more closely tonight, but the Gallery contains over 6000 images. At 2 files per image (normal and thumbnail), I'm going to guess that the Gallery takes up 1 GB or more on its own.

-Bob

bob_TCC
As a reminder...

The hard drive upgrade is scheduled to begin at approximately 9 AM EST today, 4/24/09. Again, this upgrade should be complete within approximately 1-1.5 hours.

-Bob
aceecards
bye bye cruel world.. laugh.gif ohmy.gif
Kmart6nets
I'm still here!!!
road_runner_1964
We are back....
jwman92
Back in action!!!!
bob_TCC
QUOTE(road_runner_1964 @ Apr 24 2009, 11:19 AM)
We are back....

QUOTE(jwman92 @ Apr 24 2009, 11:20 AM)
Back in action!!!!

Yes, we are indeed back. However, we're back using the same hard drive. sadwalk.gif

The data copied over fully and properly, but the new hard drive wouldn't boot. So, that is being investigated further. Once the issue is known and resolved, we'll just need to schedule one additional downtime. The good news is that we now have a better idea of the time required to complete the entire process. wink.gif

-Bob
mjda
QUOTE(bob_TCC @ Apr 24 2009, 10:35 AM)
Yes, we are indeed back.  However, we're back using the same hard drive.  sadwalk.gif

The data copied over fully and properly, but the new hard drive wouldn't boot.  So, that is being investigated further.  Once the issue is known and resolved, we'll just need to schedule one additional downtime.  The good news is that we now have a better idea of the time required to complete the entire process.  wink.gif

-Bob

Do you supply the hardware or buy it from the datacenter?
bob_TCC
QUOTE(mjda @ Apr 24 2009, 11:42 AM)
Do you supply the hardware or buy it from the datacenter?

They provide the hardware. I just get to pay for things. laugh.gif

-Bob
mjda
QUOTE(bob_TCC @ Apr 24 2009, 10:49 AM)
They provide the hardware.  I just get to pay for things.  laugh.gif

-Bob

Haha! Someone's gotta do it! tongue.gif The reason I ask is because I've noticed that HDDs supplied by datacenters tend to fail more often. Could have been a faulty drive. I've always had the suspicion that they use the cheapest "brand name" hard drives on the market, even though they usually charge extremely high rates for them. I administer 7 dedicated servers on a friend's network and we have a drive fail every year or so. We've used 3 different companies over the last 4 years and none of them seem to be much different. It's also more expensive to rent the 1U spaces I would need to store my own servers at the DC, so I guess that's just the trade off you have to take when going dedicated rather than colo. Anyways, I'm not sure why I'm telling you all this. I must be really bored this Friday morning!
bob_TCC
QUOTE(mjda @ Apr 24 2009, 12:02 PM)
The reason I ask is because I've noticed that HDDs supplied by datacenters tend to fail more often. Could have been a faulty drive. I've always had the suspicion that they use the cheapest "brand name" hard drives on the market, even though they usually charge extremely high rates for them.

If the drive is what I believe it was going to be, it was from a well-known manufacturer of hard drives.

-Bob
mjda
QUOTE(bob_TCC @ Apr 24 2009, 11:31 AM)
If the drive is what I believe it was going to be, it was from a well-known manufacturer of hard drives.

-Bob

Yeah, all of our HDDs are from "brand name" companies too. We usually request seagate (my brand of choice), but there are a few WDs too. I just mean they buy the cheapest model those companies offer. Obviously this is only based on my own observation and experience with only 3 companies. I've never used the company TCC is hosted with.
bob_TCC
Another attempt at the hard drive upgrade is scheduled to begin between 8:30 - 9 AM EST on Friday, 5/1/09. This upgrade should be complete within approximately 1.5 hours. Once the upgrade is complete, additional details will be provided about increases to the amount of files that members are able to upload through various tools.

-Bob
bob_TCC
As a reminder...

Another attempt at the hard drive upgrade is scheduled to begin between 8:30 - 9 AM EST on Friday, 5/1/09. This upgrade should be complete within approximately 1.5 hours. Once the upgrade is complete, additional details will be provided about increases to the amount of files that members are able to upload through various tools.

-Bob
bob_TCC
As a reminder...

-Bob
mjda
QUOTE(bob_TCC @ Apr 30 2009, 03:34 PM)
As a reminder...

Another attempt at the hard drive upgrade is scheduled to begin between 8:30 - 9 AM EST on Friday, 5/1/09.  This upgrade should be complete within approximately 1.5 hours.  Once the upgrade is complete, additional details will be provided about increases to the amount of files that members are able to upload through various tools.

-Bob

So what I supposed to do during this 1.5 hours tomorrow morning? I will probably be forced to browse eBay during this time now which, according to my wife, isn't a good thing. tongue.gif
bob_TCC
As another reminder...

-Bob
KHarmon
Luckily, for me anyways, my work schedule allows me to sleep until at least noon and sometimes until 1:00PM so I'll never miss a thing. biggrin.gif
Johnny Number 5
im goin to bed now, shoujld be up by nooon

have fun with the update bob

j5j555555
mjda
So are we cruising on a brand new HDD now?
bob_TCC
QUOTE(mjda @ May 1 2009, 10:33 AM)
So are we cruising on a brand new HDD now?

Yes!

The hard drive upgrade began at approximately 8:50 AM EST and was completed by approximately 10:05 AM EST (1.25 hours) - increasing the available disk space by 5 times the previous amount! Look for details about corresponding increases to the amount of files that members are able to upload through various tools to be provided in the coming days.

Thanks again for your understanding about the need for this short period of scheduled downtime.

-Bob
ffman
Do I sense more Gallery space?

QUOTE(bob_TCC @ May 1 2009, 09:04 AM)
Yes!

The hard drive upgrade began at approximately 8:50 AM EST and was completed by approximately 10:05 AM EST (1.25 hours) - increasing the available disk space by 5 times the previous amount!  Look for details about corresponding increases to the amount of files that members are able to upload through various tools to be provided in the coming days.

Thanks again for your understanding about the need for this short period of scheduled downtime.

-Bob

bob_TCC
QUOTE(ffman @ May 1 2009, 11:06 AM)
Do I sense more Gallery space?

That does seem like a likely candidate, doesn't it? smile.gif

-Bob
2000 rushing yards
wow nice thanks
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.