Help - Search - Member List - Calendar
Full Version: Will Clark needs to get more respect
Collector Zone > TCC Features > Hobby Articles
Pages: 1, 2, 3
dd316
NOW!!

eBay Auction (Item number: 200321970274)

Seriously, what does this card book, maybe $50?
sahetu
From my experience, the man does have a cult-like following. No offense, hehe. However! This shows that 90s cards do have value AND that books don't really mean much in the real market!
dd316
QUOTE(sahetu @ Mar 26 2009, 09:45 AM)
From my experience, the man does have a cult-like following. No offense, hehe. However! This shows that 90s cards do have value AND that books don't really mean much in the real market!

His #ed inserts from that period sell for ridiculous prices, but this is the craziest I've seen!! Beckett needs to wake up and reflect these sales in their pricing. I'm sure it's the same for other players as well.
sahetu
QUOTE(dd316 @ Mar 26 2009, 10:06 AM)
His #ed inserts from that period sell for ridiculous prices, but this is the craziest I've seen!! Beckett needs to wake up and reflect these sales in their pricing. I'm sure it's the same for other players as well.

I don't think Beckett wants to deal with 80s-90s stuff at all (even late 70s..). They are more focused on controlling pricing for newer product and the vintage stuff. Sad but true.
dd316
QUOTE(sahetu @ Mar 26 2009, 10:08 AM)
They are more focused on controlling pricing for newer product and the vintage stuff.

That's VERY obvious, but even their sport-specific $10 guides (the ones that list everything) aren't updated where necessary. Who edits these things?
sahetu
3 monkeys and a gerbil named Stephon.
road_runner_1964
WoW.. ohmy.gif
dd316
QUOTE(sahetu @ Mar 26 2009, 10:15 AM)
3 monkeys and a gerbil named Stephon.

laugh.gif I think you're wrong..... it's probably only 2 monkeys. tongue.gif
dodgerblue38501
That is crazy! Those Super Raves don't turn up very often though. Cards #'d to 25 during the mass production era were almost impossible to pull. I remember pulling inserts #'d to 10,000 that were only 1 per case, so that should tell you how much base they printed. I may have to look at the Clark cards I have at my shop and see what I can find. I had no idea that his inserts from that time period were so in demand.
dd316
QUOTE(dodgerblue38501 @ Mar 26 2009, 11:25 AM)
Those Super Raves don't turn up very often though.

This is the first time I can remember ever seeing this one of Clark. The seller is a long-time Clark collector that decided to call it quits on his collection. He's been selling tons of rare inserts, and I've been crying since I can't afford them. sad.gif

I did win one auction from him so far, but I can't help think of all the other Clarks he's listed that have slipped out of my grasp. sad.gif
sahetu
QUOTE(dd316 @ Mar 26 2009, 11:35 AM)
This is the first time I can remember ever seeing this one of Clark. The seller is a long-time Clark collector that decided to call it quits on his collection. He's been selling tons of rare inserts, and I've been crying since I can't afford them. sad.gif

I did win one auction from him so far, but I can't help think of all the other Clarks he's listed that have slipped out of my grasp. sad.gif

Have heart, you will find all you need in time...

Oh, and Dodger... you should see the prices for some of the Jordan hard-to-pull inserts from the 90s. ohmy.gif
bulldogbaseballcardz
Price straight from 2008 Beckett Almanac:

Will Clark #30

Base Card LBV $0.10
HBV $0.30
Super Rave multiplier #'s 1-140 30X to 80x Basic.

Hope this helps to put a Beckett value on this card.
dd316
QUOTE(bulldogbaseballcardz @ Mar 26 2009, 12:55 PM)
Price straight from 2008 Beckett Almanac:

Will Clark #30

Base Card LBV $0.10
                HBV $0.30
Super Rave multiplier #'s 1-140 30X to 80x Basic.

Hope this helps to put a Beckett value on this card.

SO Beckett says this is a $24 card? They may be a tad off there... rolleyes.gif
bulldogbaseballcardz
Yeah I think they need to start following the bay a little closer then they do.
Lew47
Beckett pricing is simply awful on those older inserts. I think it's a combination of lack of effort by Beckett (people buy their magazines anyways) and a general misconception by newer collectors of the scarcity of those inserts. Even some of the unnumbered refractors and artists proofs are hard to find. But show one to a newer collector and they garner less interest than an event used or auto almost every time.
dodgerblue38501
QUOTE(sahetu @ Mar 26 2009, 09:37 AM)

Oh, and Dodger... you should see the prices for some of the Jordan hard-to-pull inserts from the 90s. ohmy.gif

Oh, I remember those days. That is one thing I really wish card companies would do now, make inserts rare again. Give collectors something to chase besides GU and AUTOS. Show a little creativity instead of just producing 10 different colored serial numbered parallels.
ffman
Player collections will go insanely crazy over 90s inserts like that (except for me).

Beckett might not book all of them high but those (and plenty of high-booking ones) will go crazy.

ffman
Two thumps up for dodgerblue!!

QUOTE(dodgerblue38501 @ Mar 26 2009, 02:04 PM)
Oh, I remember those days. That is one thing I really wish card companies would do now, make inserts rare again. Give collectors something to chase besides GU and AUTOS. Show a little creativity instead of just producing 10 different colored serial numbered parallels.

sahetu
QUOTE(dodgerblue38501 @ Mar 26 2009, 04:04 PM)

Agreed!!! I've been an advocate for this since I got back into the hobby. Some releases do have some hard to pull inserts (I'm thinking 06 Flair Showcase Hockey had Hot Numbers inserts which were 1:180 packs and were not numbered) but nothing approaching the hard pulls of the late 90s.
ffman
It's not just the "hard pulls" but the actual creativity. Today, throw out a nice game-used or autograph card of a good player and you have a "winner". There are very few interesting "designs". That is something that many insert cards offered during the 90s.

QUOTE(sahetu @ Mar 26 2009, 02:23 PM)
Agreed!!! I've been an advocate for this since I got back into the hobby. Some releases do have some hard to pull inserts (I'm thinking 06 Flair Showcase Hockey had Hot Numbers inserts which were 1:180 packs and were not numbered) but nothing approaching the hard pulls of the late 90s.

dd316
That is one thing I really wish card companies would do now, make inserts rare again. Give collectors something to chase besides GU and AUTOS. Show a little creativity instead of just producing 10 different colored serial numbered parallels.

Can we put this in a memo and send it to all the card companies?
BlackJack
Beckett is off on alot of cards...But look at how many card you have in the world. If I was you I would be happy to see a player I collect not getting any love from beckett. Makes it that much easier to get them in trades. Alot of the cards I have in my pc I couldn't tell you what they book for the fact of its not going any where so why would I care what someone thinks my card is worth.

By the way Beckett online has the card booked at 25bv...I know where you are coming from but how many cards sell for what they book

Beckett has this card listed at 15 and got mine for 110...but seen them sell for 170
user posted image

sad.gif that card get no love at all...when ppl see it they just want to rip up.
sahetu
QUOTE(dd316 @ Mar 26 2009, 04:37 PM)
Can we put this in a memo and send it to all the card companies?

Maybe we can make a petition and send it to Panini? I mean, I think of all of the companies, they would be the most responsive to such a thing right now.
dd316
QUOTE(BlackJack @ Mar 26 2009, 04:49 PM)
If I was you I would be happy to see a player I collect not getting any love from beckett. Makes it that much easier to get them in trades.

You find me someone to trade with that has any Clarks I need. I think I've sucked every online collector dry. biggrin.gif
BlackJack
I am the same way with Micheal Young. Most PPL that have cards that I need not big on trading them. When you have alot of card of the same person it starts to get hard to find the ones you need. That is just one of the many down sides to this hobby. He gets respect from collector just that its hard to keep up bv on every card made. If it was Ruth, Mantle, Maris the BV might be more on money since more ppl ask about them. Not saying that Clark is bad or that they are better players just more hype around them.

QUOTE(dd316 @ Mar 26 2009, 02:56 PM)
You find me someone to trade with that has any Clarks I need. I think I've sucked every online collector dry. biggrin.gif

ffman
What about that Ted?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewI...em=200324897271
coltsfan23
QUOTE(ffman @ Apr 3 2009, 10:30 AM)

Straight from FCB! tongue.gif
dd316
QUOTE(ffman @ Apr 3 2009, 12:30 PM)

wacko.gif

I've always heard of that card but never seen one! ohmy.gif
Beavers98
QUOTE(dd316 @ Mar 26 2009, 09:28 AM)
laugh.gif I think you're wrong..... it's probably only 2 monkeys. tongue.gif

HA HA, Yeah with the tough economy they had to cut back
Kmart6nets

I agree 100%! That's the one thing I'm a little upset about my choice to collect Kenyon Martin.. So few nice looking inserts. My selection is pretty much limited to parallels. I'd love to see some nice inserts again.. I'm thinking along the lines of Fleer Metal and Skybox Z-Force in basketball.
Beavers98
Always liked Will the Thrill......Still a little surprised with these sale prices
Tick-Tock-Man
ohmy.gif ohmy.gif ohmy.gif No kidding, cause of your post I put this up on the
bay with a BIN/OBO...
who says you can't learn anything on message boards

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewI...em=230335591836
dd316
QUOTE(Tick-Tock-Man @ Apr 11 2009, 10:59 PM)
ohmy.gif  ohmy.gif  ohmy.gif  No kidding, cause of your post I put this up on the
bay with a BIN/OBO...

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewI...em=230335591836

Thankfully I already have that one, or I would've had to boxing.gif you for not offering it to me! tongue.gif
Tick-Tock-Man
QUOTE(dd316 @ Apr 13 2009, 12:10 PM)
Thankfully I already have that one, or I would've had to boxing.gif you for not offering it to me! tongue.gif

Don't worry I did offer it to you, about a year ago. And you told me you have it already. tongue.gif
Tarasadie17
QUOTE(Tick-Tock-Man @ Apr 11 2009, 07:59 PM)

laugh.gif laugh.gif laugh.gif

Nice sale.... wink.gif
dd316
QUOTE(Tick-Tock-Man @ Apr 13 2009, 03:58 PM)
Don't worry I did offer it to you, about a year ago. And you told me you have it already.  tongue.gif

Whew! biggrin.gif
Kmart6nets
Holy!!
Ilovetheheat
My head now hurts after reading the last update........ blink.gif blink.gif blink.gif blink.gif
dd316
QUOTE(Ilovetheheat @ Apr 27 2009, 11:59 AM)
My head now hurts after reading the last update........ blink.gif  blink.gif  blink.gif  blink.gif

Me too, especially considering I don't own any of those 3 cards. sadwalk.gif
sahetu
Man... Ted... That's rough. =\
road_runner_1964
QUOTE(dd316 @ Apr 27 2009, 12:19 PM)
Me too, especially considering I don't own any of those 3 cards. sadwalk.gif

Wow that is tough....I wish I had some for you...sad.gif
dd316
QUOTE(road_runner_1964 @ Apr 27 2009, 02:53 PM)
Wow that is tough....I wish I had some for you...sad.gif

You wish you had some.... to sell! devil.gif

What I'm finding really strange about this latest bout of massive Clark sales is the usual heavy hitters aren't even the ones bidding these up! Who the heck is spending $100's on Clark cards now? unsure.gif Sure ain't me! sadwalk.gif
dd316
Holy....!

eBay Auction (Item number: 200345325737)

wacko.gif
magman
Just came across this post today and glad I did. As a graphic designer that is one thing I always loved about sports cards...the design of the card and the creativity. In the 90's, even inserts that were 1:10 looked cooler than the other side of the pillow. I get tired of all the variation cards. I love topps chrome though and enjoy the variation refractors. But they should have some cool insert cards too other than tribute cards. Topps uses the same damm inserts almost every year!

So start that petition and I would love to sign it.
Kmart6nets
Will Clark must've been one talented dude! biggrin.gif
dd316
QUOTE(Kmart6nets @ Jun 1 2009, 04:30 PM)
Will Clark must've been one talented dude! biggrin.gif

Either that or he hypnotized a bunch of wealthy collectors... biggrin.gif
dd316
eBay Auction (Item number: 200351504822)

I guarantee you, it didn't go for this much because of Jose Canseco. wacko.gif
Kmart6nets
Holy crap! You Will Clark collectors are NUTS
road_runner_1964
Are you kidding me? That is nuts....
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.