Help - Search - Member List - Calendar
Full Version: CaptKirk42's Collection
Collector Zone > Collector Corner > Show and Tell
Pages: 1, 2, 3
captkirk42
user posted image

OK so here is where I will put some of my Fave cards from my vast never ending collection. First off in my TCC BLOG I usually mention the latest cards I have gotten from Group Breaks, Ebay, Trades etc. I also try to mention those cards in the Mail Day board. I have some of my cards in My TCC Gallery but not very many and I don't think there is much traffic there. I think SHOW & TELL is the highest traffic area to show off part of my Collection.

I'm a life-long fan of both the WASHINGTON REDSKINS and the LOS ANGELES/ST. LOUIS RAMS. Why the REDSKINS? Easy I was born and raised in the WASHINGTON DC area, they are my Homie Team. Why The RAMS? Well it maybe because I was born under the astrological sign of the ram. Anyway that is my story and I'm sticking with it. So Thus is why I am a RAMSKINS Fan.

I've been collecting cards for most of my life, During my 20s-30s it was mostly off and on, so I have some gaps during the 80s-90s overproduced years. I think that was what turned me away from the hobby for a little while. Over the years my trading tastes have changed, I used to do the typical try to get the whole set, but with full sets being 100s of cards, plus a 100 or so inserts, you need to have access to more money than I have. My Signature has my want lists (I'm not sure how current they are, I need to update them I think) and main areas of interest.

My main interests (in case you want to trade, sell or give me something) are:

Current and Vintage (especially 60s & 70s), heck almost all years.

NFL: Rams (L.A. & St. Louis), Redskins, HOFers (Mostly 1970s and back)

MLB: Nationals (Thus Expos, heck I was into them in the early 70s because of the Red/White/Blue Logo), Senators, Orioles, some Mets and Rockies, - Vintage Teams: Senators, Pilots, 45's

NHL: Capitals mostly with some HOFers.

NBA: Not much into it but Bullets/Wizards is about it. If I can score some good MJ in Wizards or vintage Bullets Unis then great.

I DON'T collect Letterman cards, and I'm going to phase out my GU eventually, it's mostly the concept of the things. That doesn't mean I won't admire the things. I collect Rookie cars, but I try to stay away from Sage and the College Only Products. I have some college cards, some of which I will keep of players I like, but I'm not going out of my way for them.

Anyway one of my absolute fave cards I've had since way back when. I think it must have originally belonged to one of my Brothers when we were kids. It is one of my faves because it is my Birth year 1965:

1965 Topps Ernie Banks
user posted image

Another fave is:

1974 Topps Washington National League Team Card: user posted image

Around 1973-1974 there were rumors the San Diego Padres were going to move to Washington DC to fill the gap that the Senators who skipped off to Texas to become the Rangers had left behind. Well we all know it took 33some years for Baseball to return to DC. So Topps produced about 15 cards marked with Washington NAT'L League using the Padres colors and regular photos. The only difference in the cards are the Team name, the card numbers on the backs are the same as the regular issue. The full set of both "Teams" is difficult to do, but not impossible. Somewhere I've got some dupes of a few of them since I had tried to build the team sets one-by-one but then when I reconnected with my local card shop one of the owners built a set for me. Next stop is to finally get the entire 1974 Topps Baseball set together. I used to be into the 1975 set back in the day, but now I'm not.

NOTE: This first post is subject to updates. I hope you enjoy viewing this thread and occasionally track it.
road_runner_1964
Let me be the first to say....thumbsup.gif and thanks for sharing, keep 'em coming...
captkirk42
Ah Inserts. Some of my fave inserts are the Vintage inserts from the 1960s - 1970s. The Topps coins, the mini posters, the 4in1 mini booklets, the card games.

1968 TOPPS BASEBALL GAME INSERTS

In 1968 Topps put out a card game as inserts to the regular set. Each card has a star player, many of whom are now Hall Of Famers on the front with the result of an at bat.

1968 Topps Baseball HANK AARON Game Insert Card
user posted image

1968 Topps Baseball FRANK HOWARD Game Insert Card
One of my Fave Washington Senators
user posted image

NOTE: I may edit this post later to add some more Baseball here, I thought I had a scan of my Frank Robinson Game insert card, I guess I haven't yet.

NOW ONTO FOOTBALL:

As long as I can remember I've been a fan of both the Rams (I guess because I was born under the sign of Aries) and the Redskins (My Homie team).

1971 TOPPS FOOTBALL GAME INSERTS

One of my fave Insert sets is the 1971 Topps Football Card Game Inserts with the Mini Posters, the backs of which have the field for playing the game. Similar in theory to the 1968 Topps Baseball Card Game Inserts each card in this set has the end result of a play. I never played either game because I never had enough of either type of card, in fact I don't think I had more than one or two of those cards when I was little. I don't know what happened to them if I did. I am trying to build both sets, and also the Football Mini Poster Set.

1971 Topps Football JOE NAMATH Game Insert Card
user posted image

1971 Topps Football SONNY JURGENSEN Game Insert Card
user posted image

1971 TOOPS FOOTBALL MINI POSTER INSERTS
Here are a couple of the mini posters, of my 2 All-Time Fave QBs, Sonny Jurgensen - Redskins (Originally with Eagles) and Roman Gabriel - Rams (Ended career with Eagles). Oddly enough I'm not an Eagles fan.

1971 Topps Football SONNY JUREGENSEN Mini Poster Insert
user posted image

1971 Topps Football ROMAN GABRIEL Mini Poster Insert
user posted image

Here is probably the rarest card from the batch, but with the internet, it isn't difficult to track down.

1971 Topps Football Game Insert Field Marker Card
user posted image

1971 FOOTBALL CARD GAME INSERTS - MINI POSTER GAME FIELD
user posted image
IronMonkey
Wow these are incredible. That Joe Namath card is pretty cool.
captkirk42
Thanks Guys,

Road Runner,
I will certainly try to keep them coming. That was partly why I started this thread, that and to get some more exposure for my PC. I'll keep a lookout for #d 264s, but I really haven't been thinking about that lately.

IronMonkey
Thanks. I'm trying to concentrate on finishing out these sets, the mini-posters maybe difficult. The Namath Card I think I got from Ebay. I missed out on a Roman Gabriel card just a few days ago, I was watching it and let it go because my Paypal was getting low, even though the opening bid was only $0.99 D'OH!
road_runner_1964
WoW...those mini posters are pretty unique...very nice stuff...

Not thinking 'bout my 264s???? Whats wrong with you....laugh.gif

Don't worry, I have been thinking for the both of us...
captkirk42
Time for some fun.

MASCOT CARDS
I'm still looking for some of these guys, LMK what you got. Once someone told me they had the set from 2007 Topps but I didn't have anything they needed to trade, so like many other sets, I might have to buy them.

2007 TOPPS BASEBALL:

SCREECH -Nationals and BILLY THE MARLIN - Marlins
user posted imageuser posted image

THE CHICKEN - FORMERLY THE SAN DIEGO CHICKEN
1983 Donruss Baseball
user posted image

1984 Donruss Baseball
user posted image
Merv3278
Cool stuff. We dont see enough vintage stuff around here. Keep them coming.
ronaldinho0003
Nice stuff, do you collect more recent things as well as vintage or no?
captkirk42
QUOTE(ronaldinho0003 @ Jan 23 2009, 07:38 PM)
Nice stuff, do you collect more recent things as well as vintage or no?

Trent,

Yes I do collect more recent things:
[From the Original Post: (emphasis added) "My main interests (in case you want to trade, sell or give me something) are:

Current and Vintage (especially 60s & 70s), heck almost all years."
]

Thanks for looking. I'll get more stuff up eventually, even newer things. I should do it in a sort of organized way, but it might not end up that way.
captkirk42
Here is the rest of the 1968 TOPPS BASEBALL GAME INSTERT CARDS that I have scanned from my PC. I have a few more from the set but haven't scanned them in. UGH! I really really need to organize all my junk, my move from last August has really messed up my already disorganized collection.

Matty Alou and Ron Santo
user posted image user posted image

Harmon Killebrew and Jim Fregosi

Rick Monday and Jim Wynn
RGBII
Nice collection, I love the eclectic stuff.

I actually remember pulling a couple of the Roman Gabriel
posters. Lord, I'm gettin' old (I guess it beats the alternative).

I wish you continued success on the collection.

Collect Hard!,
RGBII
captkirk42
Thanks Richard,

I remember as a kid we had a ton of the 1971 Coin inserts.

1971 Topps Coin Insert FRANK HOWARD
user posted image

A few years ago I scrounged up the remaining 1 or 2, and about two years ago got about 1/2 dozen from Ebay. So of those I might have a dozen.

Man it seems that the insert stuff was more fun back in the days before the Hobby reached maturity in the late 1970s.
captkirk42
Some of my collection of:
FRANK HOWARD

LOS ANGELES DODGERS (1958 - 1964)

Due to the number of images allowed per post, I will have to put images of HONDO as a DODGER in a later post (I think they are on page 2)

WASHINGTON SENATORS (1965 - 1971)

1970 KELLOGGS & 1970 MILTON BRADLEY CARD GAME

1970 & 1971 TOPPS

1994 TED WILLIAMS
user posted image

2005 UPPER DECK PAST TIME PENNANTS
user posted image

TEXAS RANGERS (1972)
As many who follow MLB History know in 1971 The WASHINGTON SENATORS left Washington DC to become the TEXAS RANGERS, leaving our Nation's Capital without Baseball until 2005 when the MONTREAL EXPOS moved and became the WASHINGTON NATIONALS

1972 TOPPS
user posted image

DETROIT TIGERS (1972 - 1973)

1973 TOPPS
user posted image

NEW YORK METS (1982 - 1984, 1994 - 1996)

1983 TOPPS TRADED & 1984 TOPPS
Stlouisrams1600
Very nice stuff, let's see some of them Rams! biggrin.gif
captkirk42
QUOTE(Stlouisrams1600 @ Jan 24 2009, 09:31 AM)
Very nice stuff, let's see some of them Rams! biggrin.gif

Patience Young Skywalker laugh.gif

OK here is a little tease:

1985 Topps JACK YOUNGBLOOD
user posted image

and

2007 Donruss Classics - Classics Singles DEACON JONES #d 0287/1000
(I think this is one of my fave Donruss Classics cards)
user posted image
Stlouisrams1600
Nice way to start! I have Henry Ellard like the Youngblood but Its a Chrome Refractor.
captkirk42
Some CUBIES!

I already posted my favorite Chicago Cubs card at the start of this thang, The 1965 TOPPS - ERNIE BANKS

1973 TOPPS RON SANTO
user posted image

A CUBS/NATIONALS Connection.

1974 TOPPS JERRY MORALES
Pictured in SAN DIEGO PADRES Uniform, the team he had been on previously.
user posted image

Jerry was, until the 2008 Grand Coaches Firings, the Nationals 1st Base Coach.

ALFONSO! - 2007 FLEER - PERFECT 10 - ALFONSO SORIANO
user posted image

Another Cub in a different Uniform, This time The Washington Nationals. The NATS suffered a bit when they traded Alfonso away to the CUBIES.
captkirk42
DON SUTTON
- The Voice of Experience, and the WASHINGTON NATIONALS.

Don is one of the color commentators for Washington Nationals games on the cable TV station MASN (Mid-Atlantic Sports Network.). MASN also covers The BALTIMORE ORIOLES & RAVENS.

1970 TOPPS & 1985 FLEER
captkirk42
One of my fave all-time REDSKINS quarterbacks is good old NUMBER 9
SONNY JURGENSEN

Sonny started his NFL career on the EAGLES and was traded to the REDSKINS for Norm Snead and Claude Crabb in 1964.

When I was a kid I had a very nice #9 Jersey. It was comfortable and I wore it a lot, over the years I had to save it from going into the goodwill pile or the pile of old shirts to be used for rags. Sometime during the '80s (late 80s I think) I lost track of it. Perhaps my mother finally gave it away then. Well at least I have memories of it, and a picture or two with me in it.

1968 TOPPS STAND-UP INSERT
(I need to find a better centered version of this)
user posted image

1971 TOPPS CARD GAME INSERT
(The Mini-Poster/Playing Field I already scanned earlier in this thread)
I love this card and this series, as well as the 1968 Baseball Game Insert set.
user posted image

EEK! I don't have any more SONNY J cards scanned at this time. WHY? Bummer sad.gif because there are a few of his cards that are up there as my faves with the 1965 TOPPS ERNIE BANKS
captkirk42
Now for the other end of my fave all-time quarterbacks:
ROMAN GABRIEL - #18 RAMS
(then later EAGLES)

Here is an interesting bit of Trivia for Mr. GABRIEL. He appeared in an episode of Gilligan's Island as a Headhunter (Episode 10 of Season 3 Topsy-Turvy 1966 - Thank you imdb.com for specifics). I don't think he had any lines, unless they were ughs and grunts.

1968 TOPPS STAND-UP INSERT
user posted image

Again I don't have enough of his cards scanned. UGH. Me lazy and bad.

After his playing career Roman coached. One of his gigs was for the early 1990s WORLD FOOTBALL LEAGUE for the Raleigh-Durham Skyhawks

1991 PROSET - WORLD FOOTBALL LEAGUE
user posted image

1991 PROSET - WFL INSERT to regular NFL Set
user posted image

Interesting personal story about that card. For the longest time I thought that it was a strange picture, because he was getting Gatorade thrown on him, well that was because the card I had has some sort of stain or something on it. I wasn't aware that was anything wrong with it until many years later when I found the card on Ebay.

user posted image
captkirk42
HOKEY Smokes it's been ages since I've added stuff here. Part of that was for the longest time after my move (a year ago at the beginning of Aug) I cluttered up the table I have my laptop on so much I didn't have room for my scanner. I kept procrastinating. I finally hooked it back-up a week or so ago.

I don't know where to begin...

At first I was trying to keep this thread organized. Hmmm I'm not sure how much more I can keep it that way.

Well my signature has one of my more recent fave cards the dual auto of Frank Howard and Nick Johnson Here it is for when I end up changing my sig pic again:

2005 Upper Deck Dual Signature Reflections - Frank Howard/Nick Johnson
user posted image

That reminds me I need to scan my Frank Howard 1960 Topps RC and add it to my Frank Howard section here (on page 1 or just link back to that part of the tread). And in football I think there are some more Sonny Jurgensen and Roman Gabriel cards I can add. Ah a collectors work is never done.

Just today (well yesterday 01Oct2009) I got this vintage beauty:

1963 JELL-O Ernie Banks 169
user posted image

Switching quickly to Football for a second. I pulled this in my Target 2009 Donruss Classics Blaster

2009 Donruss Classics Franco Harris Classic Singles
user posted image
Stlouisrams1600
R-A-M-S! RAMS! RAMS! RAMS! wink.gif
WHyFLy
A PM has been sent. Nice vintage collection!
captkirk42
Friday 02Oct2009 Mailday:

Got a couple of my sportlots.com auctions to help with my 1963 building.

1963 TOPPS BASEBALL

94 Bob Schmidt

(Hmm looks a little bit like Brian Schneider or does Brian look like him?)
user posted image

95 Larry Jackson
user posted image

I've got a long way to go with my 1960s sets buildings so if you have any '63s or other years to send my way let me know.
jaderock
great thread ... kept the updates coming
Gadsden86
Great thread.
captkirk42
QUOTE(Stlouisrams1600 @ Oct 2 2009, 09:38 AM)
R-A-M-S! RAMS! RAMS! RAMS! wink.gif

Alex,
You say you want Rams?

I've been trying to keep this from being one of those mishmash threads, but I guess it has already become one. laugh.gif

2007 Donruss Gridiron Gear Performers MERLIN OLSEN #/500
user posted image
(I also have one of the GUs of this I believe somewhere)

I think some have seen this one 'round here:

2007 Donruss Classics Classic Singles #/1000
user posted image

Then there is my two most vintage Rams from 1955 BOWMAN
Paul Younger
and Tom Fears

And probably my most prized Rams card of all....

...the card is only from 2007 Donruss Leaf Limited.....

... a Limited Cuts....

...a guy a few people might have heard off....

....No it's not my Fave QB Roman Gabriel.....

....this guy played many years before him....

...back when all the players had nicknames.....

.....Oh I'm driving myself crazy right now with this delay tactic.....

....It does keep the suspense up a bit though....

...and That player (and the card) is:

Elroy "CRAZYLEGS" Hirsch
user posted image
And the best part it's numbered 40/50

I've got another Rams Limited Cut waiting in the wings. It isn't as exciting (but it is #d/25) and I have a Rosey Grier GU that will be one of only a few GUs I will keep as a permanent PC (I never have been too keen on the GU concept of slicing up memorabilia into little 1" square pieces). It's two color and super sweet. It is a lower number still and is an Ebay 1/1. laugh.gif OK that's all the tease you'll get right now you Rambunctious Rams fan.
captkirk42
FRANK HOWARD

OK since there is a limit to the number of pics you can put in a single post I have to put these HONDO as a DODGER cards here.

1960 Topps Rookie Star
user posted image

His RC card. I've got 2 copies. I think the other one might be slightly better looking. I need to get them together to compare.

1965 Topps
user posted image
Stlouisrams1600
jawdrop.gif drool.gif
captkirk42
Today got some:
1974 Toppps Football
from sportlots.com an auction of 25 for $0.25 plus $2.50 postage. My TCC Blog Entry gives the full list most were common players. I will just show the few I scanned.

First a couple of COLTS
Bruce Laird
user posted image

and Davie Lee (Not Roth)
user posted image

Next we have Ah BEAR
Randy Jackson
user posted image

Even though this guy wore black I thought he was a super cool center.
From The RAIDERS
Mr. Double Zero JIM OTTO (Check out them "Elvis Burns")
user posted image

Finally we have a couple of Skins of the Red kind.
REDSKINS
Curt Knight
user posted image

and Myron Pottios
user posted image
faulkrules
Very interesting collection!! Love the Crazylegs cut (I am a Badger). One of my favorite PC cards is a Jurgensen 06 NT with some really unique pieces of shoe.
captkirk42
A fun set that I had started back in the day as a Kid. I only had two for many years, then in the last couple started looking for the rest on Ebay. Well that goal was accomplished a few months back. I just hadn't scanned any of them till this weekend. anyway the set in question.

1975 Football Wonder Bread

This set is only 24 cards of All-Stars from that era. They came packaged at the end of the regular packages of Wonder Bread, so many separate cards from this set you may find will be yellowed from contact with the bread (even though I think they had been packaged in plastic cellophane wrapped packages).

Most of the cards in the set are fairly easy to find separately on Ebay and other places, however for some reason the two that eluded me for quite a long time were cards # 1 and # 15 with card #1 being the final straw to get. I didn't want to have to get a full set just to get one or two cards, but I came close a couple of times and I think I was outbid on a set once.

Here are the first two cards that I have had since they were first released. Note the "white" areas are yellowed. This is mostly due to the contact with the bread product, not necessarily natural aging from being about 35 years old.

21 Ted Hendricks - Packers
user posted image

17 Franco Harris - Steelers
user posted image

A few of my faves from this set:

4 Ken Houston - Redskins
user posted image

7 Tom Mack - Rams
user posted image

13 Bob Griese - Dolphins
user posted image

And now the two cards that eluded me for so long:
(must have been some sort of ancient Viking curse)

15 Chuck Foreman - Vikings
user posted image

And Card # 1:
1 Alan Page - Vikings
user posted image
road_runner_1964
Awesome vintage set, Kirk. Congrats.
captkirk42
A few posts ago I mentioned I had another Leaf Limited Cuts Signature... well lookie here it is this one:

2007 Leaf Limited Cuts Clark Shaughnessy #d 11/25
user posted image

It's a cool signature, but kind of a lousy photo to use for a card, but it beats no picture like some cards have done.

Shaughnessy was a coach for several Colleges and then the Rams in 1948-49. Check his Wikipedia page for all the details.

captkirk42
Soon it will be Halloween, scary eh kids? With that note let us flip back 15 years with Coca-Cola and The NFL...

Coca-Cola, and the NFL Player's Association using Pro-Line Classics cards. Produced this unique set of 30 cards:

Monsters of the Gridiron in 1994.

user posted image

Each NFL team is represented by one of its big named Starter Stars, and each player is dressed up in some sort of Monster or Creature Costume and some sort of silly monster nickname. The two new expansion teams that would begin their histories with the NFL the following season in 1995; The Carolina Panthers and The Jacksonville Jaguars are represented by "Mascots" that didn't quite become the official logos. The backs of the cards say 1994 Edition which seems to indicate that there were plans to make the concept a regular annual series. That never happened.

The cards were included in the 12 can pack cases. If I recall correctly I think 2 cards may have been included or 1 card and a scratch off game card.

user posted image

15 years does effect ones memory so I really don't know unless there is some website out there on the internet that gives all the distribution details.

user posted image

As you can see the entire set was also made available later in a hanging cardboard backed blister pack.

Marshall "The Missle" Faulk
user posted image

Shane "The Barbarian" Conlan
user posted image

If you read my TCC Blog you would have seen this set several months back with the description worded differently but reaching the same conclusions.

Thanks for Looking.
cardcrazed
this thread is awesome! Nice Colts cards!

Justin
captkirk42
I've gotten in a few Ebay Auctions recently.

First from a brand new series of BASEBALL cards, with multiple sports in it because it is a retro tobacco era series. I got my first 2009 Upper Deck GOODWIN CHAMPIONS card. It's not a baseball one its a Hockey.

Card # 34 ALEXANDER OVECHKIN (Capitals)
user posted image

Now moving on to FOOTBALL.

First from The 1974 FLEER Hall of Fame (The Immortal Roll) series. Now these cards are a little bit thinner (skinner width-wise not paper stock wise) than the standard, but are just a tadd taller. The 1974 cards are very similar and often mistaken for the 1975 cards. The main difference is the 1974 cards are not numbered the '75 are. I think the 1975 set is a larger set.

1974 Fleer Hall of Fame SAMMY BAUGH
user posted image

And the Price of Resistance one of my white whales for my PC. From one of two of my fave QBs and for only $12.00 plus $2.00 shipping....

1958 Topps #90 of Mr. Number Nine SONNY JURGENSEN. It's in very nice condition the dealer listed it as fair. Looks a little better than that to me no creases, but rounded and slightly frayed corners and a little bit of a pinhole sized chunk taken out of the bottom right near the corner.

1958 Topps SONNY JURGENSEN RC
user posted image

osufan2383
sweet stuff man keep them coming
captkirk42
It's been a little while. I've been slow in scanning some stuff, slow in organizing. wait in some areas I haven't been organizing. Sigh. I also recently started a card blog at captkirk42.blogspot.com

OK here are some stickers that I got recently from Ebay. Before America got attacked in 2001 there was an attempt to have a rival football league to the NFL by the owners of the WWF Wrestling League. It failed Miserably, but was immortalized in the opening scenes of the Arnold Schwarzenegger movie The 6th Day (with one "expansion team" that never was) they had some cool helmet-cam footage though. Anway Oh it was the XFL I was talking about.

user posted image

The set contains 10 stickers here are just a few since there is a limit of 10 pics per post, I won't push the limit biggrin.gif

user posted image
user posted imageuser posted imageuser posted image

captkirk42
So WHAT'S THE DIFFERENCE?

Earlier in the week I got a Hockey card from Ebay which was the O-Pee-Chee version of a Topps card I have. Collectors that specialize in Hockey know very well that the Canadian printed O-Pee-Chee cards have always paralleled the Topps cards from that year. Now a days it is easy to tell the difference because of the branding on the front, but for many years the only way to tell was information on the back. If there was French writing anywhere on the back it was the OPC version. Sometimes only the copyright line let you know if your card was from Topps or from OPC. Now if your card was off center like my Topps card is on the back (without the copyright line) then you would have ether have other cards from that same set, or do some research to find out the differences. Usually there is a card stock difference as well.

Any way....

Which one is Which?

The first one on top the one that is slightly darker (at least my copies) is the OPC the second one Topps. From that front you can't tell which is which. Now looking at the back you can tell right away.

OPC
user posted image
TOPPS
user posted image
jaderock
Now I got a headache! At least you can see the fine print...I need a magnifying glass to read all the stuff on modern day cards blink.gif
captkirk42
QUOTE(jaderock @ Oct 24 2009, 03:26 PM)
Now I got a headache! At least you can see the fine print...I need a magnifying glass to read all the stuff on modern day cards blink.gif

I hate the fine print on these modern cards. I also hate all the embossing and shiny printing that may look pretty but you can't read for carp (to put it nicely). That is one of the reasons I hate the chrome stuff, you can't read anything because it's all reflecting and refracting in the light.
captkirk42
AUTOS & CUT SIGS

OK I've shown a couple of my Cut sigs, but the most recent one was from one of Webbgems group breaks.

2009 Leaf Limited Football Limited Cut 21 Sammy Baugh Redskins #d/25

user posted image

And last month from my Secret Santa I got this sweet Auto card, now one of my all-time fave autos

2005 UD NFL Legends Legendary Signatures LS-RO Roman Gabriel Rams

user posted image

Moving onto Baseball I don't think I've shown this one yet.

2001 Donruss Signature Series Milestone Marks No Number Steve Garvey Dodgers #d/175

user posted image
captkirk42

Alexander Ovechkin
2008-09 Upper Deck MVP Hockey:
GR8 Sub-Set of 8 cards
(part 1 cards 1-4)

Upper Deck for the 2008-09 MVP Series created a sub-set of eight cards commemorating Alexander Ovechkin's career. Here is that set Alexander The GR8. I will post both the front and the back of each card as the back pictures on each card are different. The cards are numbered A01-8 (or AO1-8)

AO1

AO2

AO3

AO4

(continued next post)
captkirk42

Alexander Ovechkin
2008-09 Upper Deck MVP Hockey:
GR8 Sub-Set of 8 cards
(part 2 cards 5-8)

AO5

AO6

AO7

AO8

Thanks for looking.
captkirk42
And Now for Some Vintage Non-Sport From 1953 Topps.

World On Wheels
1953 TOPPS

This Non-Sport series is made up of classic cars, sport cars, military vehicles and futuristic looking cars. The designs remind me of the pictures on the boxes of old model car kits.

I got 4 of these from Ebay a little while back. Took me a while to remember to scan them and then come up with something to say about them.

user posted image

My favorite of the four is the first one card #38 Kenz Twin Ford.

user posted image

It reminds me of the cars the bad guys like Snake would drive in the Speed Racer Cartoons.

The basic low-down on this set is Topps released series one cards 1 - 160 in 1953 they have info about the subject car in the picture on the back. There is another little trivia box on the back that talks about something else entirely.

user posted image

Series two contains cards 161 - 180 and were released in 1954 I don't have any of those yet. Cards 161-170 have the same Red Backs like series one and cards 171-180 are the Blue Backs. At least that is what my research on these has shown me so far. I'll know for sure if I ever get the rest of the series.

I say more about this set on my Trading Cards Blog
captkirk42
ROMAN GABRIEL AP Wire photos from the 1960s

From Ebay I got 2 photos of Roman Gabriel by AP Wire services. I got them for $14.00 Delivered.

user posted image

user posted image

I also show the backs of them in my Non-Cards Mailday thread.
captkirk42
GLADIATORS AUSTRALIAN STYLE

From Ebay I got 4 promo cards from the Australian "Gladiators" TV show. I'm not sure of the number of cards in the set but it's the Australian version of the show which those of us in the USA would know as "American Gladiators"

I give a brief explanation on my Cards Blog American Gladiators UMM Australian Post. The most attractive one is this first one:

user posted image

captkirk42

In Memory of Merlin Olsen
(1940 - 2010)

user posted image

#18/250
user posted image

I have more Merlin Olsen cards around, but these seem to be the only ones I scanned.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.