Help - Search - Member List - Calendar
Full Version: 2008 Score Football Retail (2 blasters)
Collector Zone > TCC Features > Product Reviews
benshobbies
Over the past month I did a live break here on TCC on 2008 Score Football Retail. I opened two 11 pack blaster boxes for $22.00 or so and got about $3.76 (for rookie cards only) in final sale value. I did pull a 2008 Score Scorecard Matt Forte #'d /999 which is on eBay right now. I also pulled a great deals, but the base were shoddy at best. I did not pull a single rookie glossy card, and the Hot Rookies seemed less plentiful then last year.

However, if you are into building sets this set is really good. The product is pretty inexpensive and the base set features 440 cards and a lot of parallel sets that you could build. 2008 Score is also one of the few sets you can build a master set of in today's hobby of 1/1's and low numbered hits. The only hits you can find in this set are Inscriptions autographs and all are numbered to 1,000 or less according to the sell sheet.

I did pull two Ladainian Tomlinson Donruss Decals and a bunch of other great names in veterans although the Rookie Card side was pretty shabby. For a detailed review of the rookie card side see my blog, The Rookie Card Blog at http://therookiecard.wordpress.com. I have put pictures up on some of the best cards pulled as well. Let me know what you think of this product!
spolcyc
QUOTE(benshobbies @ Jan 10 2009, 07:04 AM)
Over the past month I did a live break here on TCC on 2008 Score Football Retail.  I opened two 11 pack blaster boxes for $22.00 or so and got about $3.76 (for rookie cards only) in final sale value.  I did pull a 2008 Score Scorecard Matt Forte #'d /999 which is on eBay right now.  I also pulled a great deals, but the base were shoddy at best.  I did not pull a single rookie glossy card, and the Hot Rookies seemed less plentiful then last year.

However, if you are into building sets this set is really good.  The product is pretty inexpensive and the base set features 440 cards and a lot of parallel sets that you could build.  2008 Score is also one of the few sets you can build a master set of in today's hobby of 1/1's and low numbered hits.  The only hits you can find in this set are Inscriptions autographs and all are numbered to 1,000 or less according to the sell sheet. 

I did pull two Ladainian Tomlinson Donruss Decals and a bunch of other great names in veterans although the Rookie Card side was pretty shabby.  For a detailed review of the rookie card side see my blog, The Rookie Card Blog at http://therookiecard.wordpress.com.  I have put pictures up on some of the best cards pulled as well.  Let me know what you think of this product!

Retail fail
fishkid
well very rarely does a low end retail product give you back alot of sale value wise.
northicehero99
Score is a nice little product but for what you paid for two blasters you could have spent about $8 more and got a 36 pack box or a Jumbo box, both ran about $30. The product this year was more disappointing, as compared to last year's which had the Atomic parallels in the Jumbos. Overall though this is a product that I would not expect a great return on, unless you got lucky enough to hit one of the better inscription autos #/5 and my guess is the autos are probably less than a few a case.
cardcrazed
I think I would have spent a little more and bought a hobby box in hopes of maybe getting a couple more hits. I know from experience that blaster boxes are worth the money spent on them.....

Justin
benshobbies
I like Score on a set-building basis, not necessarily on a value basis. The sets are always 400 cards or so and they include all the major rookies. The design on 2008 was way better and higher quality than 2007. The thing I like the most about Score is the product does not need to have 2 autos/GU per box to sell. I probably wasted my money at the retail store, but sometimes the "Want-It-Now factor" kicks in.
northicehero99
QUOTE(benshobbies @ Mar 30 2009, 03:53 PM)
I like Score on a set-building basis, not necessarily on a value basis.  The sets are always 400 cards or so and they include all the major rookies.  The design on 2008 was way better and higher quality than 2007.  The thing I like the most about Score is the product does not need to have 2 autos/GU per box to sell.  I probably wasted my money at the retail store, but sometimes the "Want-It-Now factor" kicks in.

I prefer Bowman base and Topps base over the Score just because of how many people build them and I find the inserts in Topps more interesting, plus better odds of getting a hit vs Score.

Score though is still a fun product to try to build and if you get to a point where you are looking for peices, lmk as I have a couple hundred dupes available.
rnpurdue
This was my first year building a Score set (actually 2) and I think I did quite well. I spent almost $200 total to complete the sets and have tons left over. It obviously is much easier to collect when blaster boxes are so readily available at Wally World and Target. Not to concerned over the "hits", but if that is what you like....this product isn't right for you.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.