Help - Search - Member List - Calendar
Full Version: A different kind of GU FT
Collector Zone > Sports Cards > Football > Football Trading
hobbyfan
I was at Walmart last weekend and picked up some cards. I bought two of those oddball compilations that small-time companies put out, collecting overstock from Topps, Donruss, et al, at 5 bucks a pop. Anyway, these boxes claimed that there was a GU card inside.

What the company in this case, Vintage, is doing is taking a base card and matching up a game used jersey swatch. The swatch is not attached to the card itself, mind you, but is beneath the card. There's something in the back that allows this to stand on its own, like one of those standees you see of celebrities and comic book characters.

What I have in this configuration is a 2000 Donruss Tim Couch, with the jersey swatch directly underneath the card itself. Because of this odd design, I would venture to guess that the BV of this compilation would be way less than the average GU. I can't scan it for you guys, so the only thing I can do is try to sell it (BV would be under a buck, IMPO) or trade it for Giants base. PM me if interested.
Ducks3087
Yah i picked up 2 of those myself. If anyone want a scan of what they look like here they are.

user posted image

user posted image
northicehero99
Weird looking, is there anything on the back that confirms those are real GU of the player listed? Strange.
joe31
The mantle is pretty nice. Thats real strange, i was contemplating whether or not to get one of those, i saw them as well. Glad I decided not to
hobbyfan
On the back of mine it says that the swatch was acquired from Upper Deck. Aside from that, there's no authentic certification.

Ducks, I'll trade you the Couch for the Mantle if you're interested.
Ducks3087
back of the card. No thanks on the couch

user posted image
hobbyfan
QUOTE(Ducks3087 @ Dec 31 2008, 11:43 AM)
back of the card. No thanks on the couch

user posted image

I see you're a Hank Baskett collector, Ducks. I have a 2007 Topps Draft Picks & Prospects bronze parallel Baskett to trade. LMK if interested.
beanschat
I got one of these for Christmas...I believe it was a Cabrera...nice looking two color patch piece. I do like that Mantle! Anything Mantle is a good piece. However, these pieces do lend to getting bent, etc...mine has a crease above and below the patch.
northicehero99
Interesting that the swatch came from UD. Surprised they would give away a Mantle GU swatch?
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2019 Invision Power Services, Inc.