Help - Search - Member List - Calendar
Full Version: I am tired of this
Collector Zone > Collector Corner > Hobby Talk
metsfan2427
It seems everyone wants to trade base by bv. My question is why it a base card a common. I am tired of people saying o i like this Rc or this gu but i only want to give you one-four base card becuase they book the same. i don't get why people are so obsessed with book value over commons. I mean other stuff it's fine but it just silly to fuss over cards that sell for .1-.10.
osufan2383
i actually dont mind trading more base for stuff that i may need. Its just sitting there anyway
19th Century Indiana Jones
I know what you are saying. They have very little (if any) bartering value. Even though base is expendable it still has its uses: it can be displayed in nice holders at work, taped up (holder is optional) in your locker, or be used for autographs TTM without fear of loss or non-return since it's just base.

I usually give my base away as additions to a few Christmas cards and pack the rest in team bags (making sure there is at least ONE local or major star in each bag) and give them away at the hospital.
Tick-Tock-Man
I don't care trading base for other stuff like gu, just as long as I'm happy with the trade.
chopinalex
im on the other side..if i have game used/ autos others want..i will trade them for base i need..but it has to be in my favor..
autocut
QUOTE(metsfan2427 @ Nov 27 2008, 11:06 AM)
It seems everyone wants to trade base by bv. My question is why it a base card a common. I am tired of people saying o i like this Rc or this gu but i only want to give you one-four base card becuase they book the same. i don't get why people are so obsessed with book value over commons. I mean other stuff it's fine but it just silly to fuss over cards that sell for .1-.10.

A good reason why I collect cards without a BV. Eliminates that problem.
metsfan2427
QUOTE(chopinalex @ Nov 28 2008, 01:26 AM)
im on the other side..if i have game used/ autos others want..i will trade them for base i need..but it has to be in my favor..

that i will do
Yogurtmania
The problem is that everyone wants to come out ahead on a trade. With that said, you shouldn't be trading to make a profit. You should be trading to get a card that you like better than the one you have.
www.fpcards.com
I agree with the thread starter that maybe you don't let book value on base get in the way of getting what you really want if you don't care about base.
However.... I will STRONGLY disagree with the perception that base cards today have no value or are not good for anything.
This isn't 1990 anymore. Finding 15 cards in a pack these days is nearly impossible. Packs are not 50 cents and since the 792 card set is a thing of the past, a bigger percentage of cards in a given set are star players. When you pay $5 for a pack with 6 cards in it, NONE of them are "commons"
1987 Topps Benny Distefano.....COMMON
The stuff today..... not so much

Our business revolves around singles. We sell a TON of base to set builders and player/team collectors. Just because it isn't numbered to 10, autographed or have some kind of refractor finish doesn't mean it should be considered substandard.
If you don't like base, instead of spending $100 on a box where you might get one pull you like, forget the box and spend the $100 on a card you know you will like.
Just my thoughts.....
snowblink
QUOTE(metsfan2427 @ Nov 27 2008, 09:06 AM)
i don't get why people are so obsessed with book value over commons.

I don't get why some are so obsessed with BV at all...

However, if you are going to trade by it, why should it apply to "your premium issues" but not a base card?

If you claim BV has merit, but only on what you've got - that's hypocritical. wink.gif
Yogurtmania
Kinda an off topic, but was at the shop last night and picked up 6 Brett Favre base cards, including 2 of the LCM for FREE! People would open the packs and only look for the hits and leave the rest. So, I grabbed the benefits.
gopackgo
QUOTE(Yogurtmania @ Nov 29 2008, 11:37 AM)
Kinda an off topic, but was at the shop last night and picked up 6 Brett Favre base cards, including 2 of the LCM for FREE! People would open the packs and only look for the hits and leave the rest. So, I grabbed the benefits.

Steal! biggrin.gif Favre base are usually worth like $3+ each.
Yogurtmania
QUOTE(gopackgo @ Nov 29 2008, 12:42 PM)
Steal!  biggrin.gif Favre base are usually worth like $3+ each.

I know, I am really pumped. Probably going back again today. Maybe I can score some more freebies. tongue.gif
www.fpcards.com
I would love to ask those people why they don't just come to a website (not that I have any in particular in mind LOL) and spend $40-$50 and buy a $100 BV "hit" instead of spending that same $40-$50 on packs and most of the time getting nothing they care about.
It makes no sense to me.
metsfan2427
i agree on some points. but still people don't buy the 6 dollar packs for base they buy them for the hits. but still another reason why i don't buy many packs.
wezz60
I know what you mean. I've been trying to bulk up my LeBron base collection, and people think that because they have 20 base that book 7 each, they should get my Mike Conley Exquisite AU blowup.gif
coltsfan23
QUOTE(www.fpcards.com @ Nov 29 2008, 11:56 AM)
I would love to ask those people why they don't just come to a website (not that I have any in particular in mind LOL) and spend $40-$50 and buy a $100 BV "hit" instead of spending that same $40-$50 on packs and most of the time getting nothing they care about.
It makes no sense to me.

I'm playing devil's advocate here but if everyone had that same mindset, would there be cards to buy in the first place? Singles only exist because there are others who bust a lot of boxes. Personally, I have only ever busted 2 hobby boxes and have bought maybe 3 packs in the last 2 years. I'm a singles buyer all the way. But, you have to admit that it wouldn't be possible if others disagreed with this method.

Plus, the fun that some get from busting boxes outweighs a possible money loss. Part of the box price is the fun that comes from breaking boxes and opening packs.
sschind
QUOTE(wezz60 @ Nov 29 2008, 02:38 PM)
I know what you mean. I've been trying to bulk up my LeBron base collection, and people think that because they have 20 base that book 7 each, they should get my Mike Conley Exquisite AU blowup.gif

I don't know what the BV for Conley Exquisite auto is but I know if I had a $140.00 GU or an auto of someone not in my PC I would not have a problem trading it for 20 $7.00 cards that I needed for my collection. Now if I could expect to get $140.00 in cash for the card I might not make the trade because if I could sell it for that I could probably get the 20 $7.00 cards for a lot less. The thing is, very few cards are actually worth, in cash, what the book says they are.
www.fpcards.com
Coltsfan I agree with you (and your choice of football teams BTW lol)
But at the same time, those who bust packs and throw away the base aren't in it for the fun of it, are they?
fishkid
I remember as a kid an even base treade was the same amount of cards or very close to it. maybe 25 to 20 with a no name rc. Where did those days go?????? lol
i love trading base cards for the same amount of base cards

anyone wanna swap some base, let me now smile.gif
2000 rushing yards
I sell base by BV but for trading, I don't do that. Unless it's a high-end product where the base cards are over $1-$2, I just think of what's fair
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.