Help - Search - Member List - Calendar
Full Version: Base Collectors
Collector Zone > Collector Corner > Hobby Talk
flea
Was looking through a box break on another site & everything was listed under headings. Under base was who cares??

Is this the prevalent thought in the hobby these days? If it's not #'d, auto'd or GU not worth even talking about??

I love getting base of my team. Surely I'm not alone??
www.fpcards.com
You aren't alone. While it is true both pack price, short printed rookies and the "thrill of the chase" perpetuated by the card manufacturers since about 1993 has made set building and base collecting alot more difficult and less popular than it used to be, I can tell you based on our site sales that base cards are alive and well. You still have player and team collectors out there that simply want as many cards as they can get of their favorites. You also do have those brave souls who are willing to put up with terrible box break ratios to build sets.
There is nothing wrong with collecting base. We'd love to see you on our site sometime wink.gif
Stlouisrams1600
I Think Its So Fun Pulling Rams And Yankees Base Cards.
RGBII
I'm with ya', can't very well be a set collector without
base cards.
Inserts, parallels, game-used & autographs are great
but I still enjoy looking through a well presented binder
full of base.

Collect Hard!,
RGBII
baseballguy601
I still collect base. smile.gif
www.fpcards.com
I should put the OP in touch with the guy who ordered 1378 different Texas Rangers cards from us two days ago. I have never seen so many Ruben Sierra and Charlie Hough cards in one box! I would say at least 1000 of the cards were 25-50 cent base cards.
metsfan2427
yey i like base, i have had so many people ask me do i collect base. the only that ticks me off is i spend 6 bucks on a pack of cards and i get 5 base cards.
snowblink
QUOTE(flea @ Nov 21 2008, 01:48 PM)
I love getting base of my team. Surely I'm not alone??

Sure seems like it sometimes tho, don't it brother?

Sad thing is there's actually a fair amount of decent looking base out there these days, but few list it...Are they thinking no one wants it?

I think another problem is that those who have a stack of it all too often only want premium stuff in return, so it's turned into a sour experience for a lot of collectors.
Iplayfootball_90
Quinn base cards are my friends. smile.gif

That did sound creepy, but seriously, I do enjoy getting base cards of my favorite players.
chopinalex
yikes..unless from a set im doing..i dont like...i really could care less about cowboys base..haas to be at least short print
19th Century Indiana Jones
I'm not a set collector, but if a base card looks nice, I'm more prone to pick up a stack and pass them out at work.

2004 Topps Albert Pujols #100 for example. smile.gif
Kmart6nets
I collect Kenyon Martin base! I keep my Nets base in a separate box as well. The rest I generally separate by name guys and try to trade for other base I want more.
sebredsox24
i collect base of pierce/allen/kg/red sox/cowboys.
marcus42
My browns base mean more to me than Game Used cards!!
www.fpcards.com
Well, any of you want to help me with Topps Finest base (and refractors) Blue Jays from 1993-1997 feel free to drop me a note. We have close to 7 million cards in stock but I can tell you base commons from better brands from the mid to late 1990's are becoming very tough to find. In many cases they are harder to find than the stars.
sschind
Thanks to zachattack I have a few new Packers base to hopefully add to my Packers collection and some Bears and Manning base to give to my nephew.

My problem is that I have so much of the base from pre 06 that when I see a large lot of Packers I'm not interested because most of the stuff I already have. If people would list their base by year I could see myself buying some 07 and 08 packers lots.

Also, there really aren't that many base cards any more. Its all parallels. For example, Donald driver had about 115 cards in 06 (that is the last year I have a CL for). Only 21 of them were base (I only have 5) and another 10 were inserts. The rest were all parallels. Oh, and don't get me started on Favre's cards.

I don't think that it is so much that box breakers don't think people want it as much as that they don't think its worth their time to list it.
Bravesfan10
No one wants pieces of cardboard anymore, they just want pieces of cardboard with ink scribbled all over it smile.gif
www.fpcards.com
cardboard? Do they make cards out of cardboard anymore?

Leaf Steel! Now THOSE were cards LOL
chopinalex
QUOTE(www.fpcards.com @ Nov 22 2008, 02:30 PM)
cardboard? Do they make cards out of cardboard anymore?

Leaf Steel! Now THOSE were cards LOL

they saved me from a bullet once!
athopesend
I'm always after Raiders base I need. I even scan them into my Raiders PC in my bucket ...lol talk about too much free time ...lol
Yogurtmania
I don't mind base....I don't trade for them, but I do keep all my base cards and seperate the players/teams that I collect. However, most guys at my local card shop don't even look at there base. They flip to the middle of the pack for the hit and leave the rest of the cards on the glass counter. I've picked out many Brett Favre cards to add to my collection and have even put a few sets together with what people have lefy behind. I just can't see spending $100 on a box and only taking 6-8 cards home with you.
19th Century Indiana Jones
Base cards are essential. Once people find out that they are used for TTM AUs with MINIMAL risk, they'll soon scarf them up by the truckloads.
beanschat
there are so many different sets anymore, that keeping up with base is difficult. As a result...I usually select 2 sets a year to "chase". Fantasy football has killed team collecting...however, on the flip side, it should have increased player collecting from different teams..unfortunately, most teams only have 3-5 players worth having on teams.

clink clink
beanschat
QUOTE(Yogurtmania @ Nov 22 2008, 05:27 PM)
I don't mind base....I don't trade for them, but I do keep all my base cards and seperate the players/teams that I collect. However, most guys at my local card shop don't even look at there base. They flip to the middle of the pack for the hit and leave the rest of the cards on the glass counter. I've picked out many Brett Favre cards to add to my collection and have even put a few sets together with what people have lefy behind. I just can't see spending $100 on a box and only taking 6-8 cards home with you.

I hear ya there! I often need the base to tell myself that I broke even!!
tj2373
I still collect base and they are essential to the player and set collector. I have over the last few years seen the hobby trend swing from pulling that particular year's hottest BASE rookie (remember the 80's?) to pulling the hottest INSERT (the 90's) to now it's the hottest player's GU/Auto, etc.

I, however will not change my collecting focus of putting together my Topps, Topps Heritage sets, and putting together a decent collection of base cards of the players listed in my signature.
finestkind
I trade base cards for base cards. All for my set building. smile.gif
Deltapine
I collect base of my two main guys. In fact, I have been very fortunate to have many simply given to me because of the box breakers not really caring about them. Hey.....works for me.

I've done the same for other folks. What goes around, comes around. wink.gif
NGWH Sports Cards
I love me some base cards.
pokerstar6
Of modern era collecting I still build base sets if I like the design of the card. Even if I'm not trying to build a set, I still pull star base cards and put them in binders. Some of us are just card geeks and proud I guess biggrin.gif
fsabala
i collect base sets but not individual base cards
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.