Help - Search - Member List - Calendar
Full Version: When you encounter another player collector...
Collector Zone > Collector Corner > Hobby Talk
Kmart6nets
To the player collectors out there:

When you encounter someone who collects/supercollects the same player as you, how do you feel about them? Do you respect them for making such a wise choice, or resent them for potentially stealing your guy's cards?

My collection has taken a back seat to other things lately, but I know when I used to encounter fellow Kenyon Martin collectors I'd secretly loathe them... After a while I grew to accept it though.

How about you guys?
19th Century Indiana Jones
I LOVE them!!!!
urbanmonk
I haven't encountered that completely, but then I don't collect just one player except in Hockey. I don't think I would loathe them or anything as probably best to stay on their good side in case they change players and dump that player wink.gif then I could be first in line for them laugh.gif
NGWH Sports Cards
I get mad, then argry, then nice.
dd316
It only bugs me when they pay ridiculous prices. Not only is it silly, but when you've got a guy that routinely pays $75 for Clark cards with $25 BV's it gets frustrating.

And yes, I will occasionally pay more than I should, but some of the prices this certain Clark collector pays is unbelievable, then it just raises the subsequent auctions for the same items making me pay more. mad.gif

But hey, money talks I guess. And I ain't doing much talking. tongue.gif
It gives me a chance to see another type of collecting philosophy in practice. Sure, they would be an adversary to your collection, but they are also like a brother because you cheer on for the same person. Envy might be there, but hey, someone else saw something you did not or had an oppurtunity you did not - and if that's the way it played out, then that's the way the universe meant it to be.

Don't try to keep up with the Joneses - use your own imagination to create your own work of art.
marcus42
I haven't encountered another Wimbley collector out there, not a big surprise tongue.gif

but I do get in some good bouts with some hard core set or team collectors!

There's quite a bit more competition for Otto Graham stuff, but I don't go after a whole lot of his stuff, so it's not too big of a deal.
dd316
QUOTE(19th Century Indiana Jones @ Nov 19 2008, 01:09 PM)
Don't try to keep up with the Joneses - use your own imagination to create your own work of art.

It's tough when the Joneses are constantly flaunting their wealth! It's become commonplace to check auctions I had bid on the day after they ended to see I lost every one of them to the same person. sad.gif They only times I get lucky are when I find a low BIN and beat him to the punch.

I kind of feel like, "hey, I was here first!" Ah well, such is life. More money for..... bills! biggrin.gif
QUOTE(dd316 @ Nov 19 2008, 12:20 PM)
They only times I get lucky are when I find a low BIN and beat him to the punch.

Hey, that's how I do it. I'm not Daddy Warbucks or Mrs. Moneybags. Sometimes you get a good deal on stuff with BIN + BO. I got a Brady Quinn 2007 Topps Rookie Premier AU for $130 (my initial offer) when the BIN was $300. jockey.gif

Eternal vigilance is the price of a piece for your collection. smile.gif
finestkind
Here's my player collection. I don't think there will be too many people going after these guys any time soon. laugh.gif
QUOTE(finestkind @ Nov 19 2008, 12:42 PM)
Here's my player collection.  I don't think there will be too many people going after these guys any time soon.  laugh.gif

Now THAT is a type of collection I haven't seen for a while!
HULKAMANIA still runnin' wild!!! How much for the troll?
Iplayfootball_90
I have grown use to it simply because Quinn has a huge following whether it be Notre Dame fans, Browns fans, or the ones hoping to make a profit on his stuff in the future.

There are a ton out there and many have a lot better collections than mine (I consider mine very low ball anyway). So, I've grown use to it and figured I'd have to eventually get over it anyway.

Now, when I collected Calico, I would get frustrated...mainly because he was such an unknown player, I was actually surprised anyone other than me would want his stuff.
Kmart6nets
Interesting stuff.. I did some browsing on ebay last night for some Kenyon Martins that I can't really spend money on now and got kind of jealous, which is where my question came from... I miss my ebay binges! tongue.gif
snowblink
QUOTE(Kmart6nets @ Nov 19 2008, 09:10 AM)
Do you respect them for making such a wise choice, or resent them for potentially stealing your guy's cards?

I respect the fact they have great taste in players.

And they are good for a chuckle when they overpay for an item (whenever they outbid me) laugh.gif
ffman
I'm not a super collector. But, I have only met ONE (1) other Sammy Sosa collector.

That is apart from eBay. I don't buy much there, so I don't actively track who bids on Sosa's cards.
Gforce083
I just recently found on my J Camp collection may not be the best out there. There is a guy currently on ebay selling off his J Camp Collection one by one and has over 85 rookie autos of his alone!!!!! Sense he is breaking it up and selling it, mine may still be the best. But it hurt to find out someone had a better more extensive collection than mine. And what hurts even more is that I don't really have the money to buy the stuff he is selling sad.gif
msuwendy
Thankfully, there aren't a big number of Bibby collectors out there....but the few serious ones tend to have rather deep pockets.

I just take a deep breath nowadays and remember that while it's cool to own every single card of the player I collect, I still have a budget to keep to.

Besides, I've lost count of the number of times a card I initially lost out on was later relisted and I managed to get it at a lower price biggrin.gif
finestkind
QUOTE(19th Century Indiana Jones @ Nov 19 2008, 12:47 PM)
Now THAT is a type of collection I haven't seen for a while!
HULKAMANIA still runnin' wild!!! How much for the troll?

That troll keeps sneaking in there. laugh.gif He's looking for food. pizza.gif
sebredsox24
No other Orlovsky guys\s out there, but a few Pierce collectors. I get along fine with them, in fact I talk sports with PSquared all the time. It also is an easy way to pickup base/inserts you need and get rid of your dupes. There are a couple KG collectors, same deal really. I dont have much troublwe with other collector's because I dont go after their higher end stuff much.
coltsfan23
I've almost stopped collecting Miggy now, but there are a few Miggy collectors out there and I really don't mind (except one, who most should know which person I'm referring to).

I talk to one of the Miggy collectors on AIM from time to time and we've also gotten a few deals done. I think it's just nice to talk to someone who has similar collecting tastes as you might.
miguelcabrera
(except one, who most should know which person I'm referring to).

ouch direct hit!
metsfan2427
A i haven't meat anyone yet who has topped my collections besides steve nash of course.
QUOTE(Gforce083 @ Nov 19 2008, 03:26 PM)
I just recently found on my J Camp collection may not be the best out there. There is a guy currently on ebay selling off his J Camp Collection one by one and has over 85 rookie autos of his alone!!!!! Sense he is breaking it up and selling it, mine may still be the best. But it hurt to find out someone had a better more extensive collection than mine. And what hurts even more is that I don't really have the money to buy the stuff he is selling sad.gif

I'll tell you what: pick out 5 choice pieces, give me the links, and if I win any, the cost would go as credit for my entry fees when you start group breaking again. Deal?
BTW, I have not come across another Ted Ginn Jr collector here or any other boards.
WestCoastSkinsFan
I severely doubt I'll run into an Otis Amey collector, unless there's a diehard Cleveland Gladiators fan out there that I don't know about.
osufan2383
i dont mind people collecting the same thing. I dont go nuts over 1/1 so i mean i have a chance at stuff. Some people jsut get luckier
Gforce083
QUOTE(19th Century Indiana Jones @ Nov 20 2008, 08:29 AM)
I'll tell you what: pick out 5 choice pieces, give me the links, and if I win any, the cost would go as credit for my entry fees when you start group breaking again. Deal?

As tempting as this is, Gary needs to be smart at this moment in his life. Because it's almost like me using you as a loan that will have to be paid back later. It is a very kind offer from you, and I greatly appreciate it...but I don't need to incur in other debts at this time smile.gif
ronaldinho0003
Yeah, especially when you recently started collecting that player it is a little frusterating because the big supercollecters that have been collecting that player for a while try to have you not collect him anymore, and they want your PC...wink.gif
vslyke
Only met one other Griffin collector. His collector kills mine, I mean slaugthers it. He singlehandly has denied me my white whale, any Griffin 1/1, and countless other steals. Good news is there can't be that much he does not have.
NGWH Sports Cards
Any othe Cortland Finnagin collectors?
vslyke
Same guy. Not much to colect, just waiting for my white whale to show up.
QUOTE(Gforce083 @ Nov 20 2008, 03:51 PM)
As tempting as this is, Gary needs to be smart at this moment in his life. Because it's almost like me using you as a loan that will have to be paid back later. It is a very kind offer from you, and I greatly appreciate it...but I don't need to incur in other debts at this time smile.gif

It's cool. Who's the seller anyway?
road_runner_1964
I know when I was going hard after Anthony Gonzalez, I would face a few, but at the time I had some deep pockets....not no more.... laugh.gif

But I really hope no one else was born 02-26-64.... tongue.gif
krayzie83
There's about 4 other serious Fred Taylor collectors that I really know of.. It always sucks to lose a card regardless of who it's to, but even more so when it's to someone hoarding a certain card or set. Cant really say I have any ill will towards any of the 4 though since I usually end up with the cards I really want and if not at least there with someone else who can appreciate them!
sschind
If they are smaller than me I beat them up and take their cards. If they are bigger than me I talk real nice to them and slowly back away so they don't beat me up and take my cards.
Deltapine
I collect Dale Murphy and Kurt Busch, so there aren't that many of us LOL. Whenever I come across soemone who also collects them, I always offer up duplicates of anything I have that they may not have. 9 times out of 10 they offer the same. It works.
QUOTE(road_runner_1964 @ Nov 20 2008, 09:34 PM)
But I really hope no one else was born 02-26-64.... tongue.gif

Errrr.... Your sig.... 246/* Carson Palmer?????
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.