Help - Search - Member List - Calendar
Full Version: Best-worst things about your local card shop?
Collector Zone > Collector Corner > Hobby Talk
Yogurtmania
What is your favorite thing about your local card shop?

-Mine would have to be the great deals he gives on singles. It's always low-book price or less, no matter what the card is or who the player is. None of that full-book price tags or jacking the price up because he is a local player stuff.

What is your least-favorite ting about your local card shop?

-CLUTTER! What a mess. He has things that have been sitting on the shelf since the day he opened 10 years ago. Seriously, needs to be gone through and cleaned and organized. Been trying to talk him into letting me do it some weekend, but to no prevail.

What about you?
Stlouisrams1600
Small Selection.
Crappy Products.
Johnny Number 5
Dont have one,

wait.

I do...

www.tradingcardcentral.com

and

Shawn's shop Diamond Cards in QUincy, IL
Scruffmcgruff24
me and my collection is the closest thing to a cardshop here in BLoomington, Indiana. wish i had one though. The closest one i know of is in Indianapolis and the guy has singles like Ki Jana Carter autographs priced at $60 so theres nowhere for me to buy/sell/trade good stuff except here!
jam92102
QUOTE(Scruffmcgruff24 @ Nov 18 2008, 09:19 PM)
me and my collection is the closest thing to a cardshop here in BLoomington, Indiana. wish i had one though.  The closest one i know of is in Indianapolis and the guy has singles like Ki Jana Carter autographs priced at $60 so theres nowhere for me to buy/sell/trade good stuff except here!

Don't know how much you want to drive but we've got two in Greenwood, IN. One's a lot bigger than the other but they're both pretty good.

mvpujols#5
The card shop owner has no personality, never laughs of smiles. Very small selection of boxes, lots of packs. And high prices
jmarino76
i have 2 hobby shops nearby. a to z sports cards, and collector's heaven
(about 25 minute drive from my house)
they are about 5 minutes apart from each other.
collector's heaven has a large selection, and at the other you can count the # of gu/autos on one hand
both hobby shops sell singles at full book value

this past sunday, i went to buy some football packs. collector's heaven is closed on sundays, but it has a good selection of boxes, and packs. and a to z sports cards was sold out of 08 football products. the latest year they had was 1991 score. laugh.gif
Gforce083
Best: NONE COME TO MIND (well maybe packs of penny sleeves for $1)

Worst: How much information can this forum hold? Owner and employee smoke IN THE STORE! Store is a huge disorganized mess in a tiny space, very little choice of singles that are over priced (ie $20 for a L Maroney 08 Prestige single color GU /100), single pack prices are $3-$10 over suggested retail price, hobby boxes are $20-$40 over suggested retail price, owner and employee are very unhelpful almost rude....would you like me to go on.

YES I AM SPEAKING OF CARDS-R-FUN Nashville, TN on Trousdale St.
bigpapi3434
worst: high prices, owners a jerk

best: lets you "Feel" the packs! smile.gif
vslyke
QUOTE(mvpujols#5 @ Nov 18 2008, 09:26 PM)
The card shop owner has no personality, never laughs of smiles. Very small selection of boxes, lots of packs. And high prices

Trade "lots of packs" for "almost no packs" and you described the one nearest me. biggrin.gif At least he has top loaders ($3 for 30) and soft sleeves ($2 for 100).
Ilovetheheat
I love the conversation.
I hate the prices.

Peace
Jeremy
RGBII
Folks, you might want to try this from the other
side of the counter.

Not alleging that any of the posts are illegitimate,
but I have seen it from both sides and the two
views couldn't be more opposed.

I have found that you can learn more about
sports cards in two hours in an established
shop than you can anywhere else in two months.

Collect Hard!,
RGBII

dodgerblue38501
QUOTE(RGBII @ Nov 18 2008, 10:24 PM)
Folks, you might want to try this from the other
side of the  counter.

Not alleging that any of the posts are illegitimate,
but I have seen it from both sides and the two
views couldn't be more opposed.

I have found that you can learn more about
sports cards in two hours in an established
shop than you can anywhere else in two months.

Collect Hard!,
RGBII

Well said as always Richard. I have been to many shops on my travels and tried to take he good and bad that I have seen and incorporate that into my own shop. I have taken a normal retail business formula and applied it to an unconventional business model to create a successful small shop. My location is the only thing holding me back from really hitting on all cylinders. Without jinxing myself or revealing too much I will say that there are a couple of things in the works to bring my shop to Nashville!
Lockdown32
Local shop Galaxy Sports cards has a very nice selection. Very nice family that owns it. Always willing to order something for you. LOts of supplies also.
chopinalex
I go to Howies..Howie was really cool and the new Owner is cool also..most boxes are decent prices but the store is very cluttered now and I dont think he will be in business much longer because the guy keeps buying stuff and jamming it in that store!

I use to go to WhatsonSecond...sorry you have to hear this KoolJazz but his prices are a lot higher and the singles are almost book and he talks to his customers to death! Dang I just want to pay for my stuff...quit yapping to the guy in front of me!!!..then they finish and he would yap at me for a while!!! But he is a nice guy 5 out of 6 times Ive been there.

Theres a few others but I never been to them.
osufan2383
The thing i love about my store The Hobby Shop In Matawan
Best- The discount he gives me on basketball and the conversations you can have with the dealer. Also everything is in neat order so its easy to locate and his 5 dollar jersey and auto pile
Worst-The single card prices are reg book price
dd316
QUOTE(mvpujols#5 @ Nov 18 2008, 09:26 PM)

Whoa, we shop at the same store? wink.gif
urbanmonk
Closest shop is 45 miles away, so that's not so good. The one to the north is real small and higher prices. Two to the south, one good prices and larger but he don't carry Hockey, the other one carries Hockey but is real cluttered with cards and stuff all over the place so hard to see what he has and he is more expensive. With gas prices way they were, and very little extra time due to work I have been doing it online with Shawn(DIAMONDCARDS), and trading here, and some auctions and whatnot on Sportlots.
pavi39
I have checked most of the shops between Manitowoc and Madison (120 mile trip). The reason I go back to the same ones:

I enjoy the conversation I have with the owners of the businesses.

I will stop at three different shops during the month:

Baseball card shoppe has a great selection of packs.

Jim's Card Korner selection isn't great, but his prices generally are very nice.

Balls and Strikes - Great slection of football - not much basketball.

I trust the owner at all three and find myself engaging in conversation, whether it be sports cards, sports, or how the family is doing.

I have stopped going to two different spots along my trip:

One lacks selection (usually ony has two or three boxes open for packs and of the latest selection).

The other I stopped going when I saw the owner was selling hot packs. I never fully trusted him in the first place.
19th Century Indiana Jones
Loves to talk shop - both cards and sports.
hodee5
Best thing, the owners are good people......no pack searching! And they have the thicker magnetic cases for $1.99 each, which I think is a pretty good price!

Worst thing.....box prices! It's gotta be a tough business, but you're talking about $30 less for some at D & A's.....VIVA LA HOBBY SHOPS!!!!!
Tick-Tock-Man
worst thing: I don't have any left close in my area. sad.gif
snowblink
Best thing: pretty short drive, supplies are always in stock

Worst thing: only once in a blue moon do they have any singles I am looking for, and if so they are a pain to locate as they are not organized in easy fashion, I also get the feeling of being less welcome when my kids come to the store with me...

One thing that always bothers me about any store - when an item has been there for years and the price has never come down. I always thought that the ultimate point of any store is to actually sell stuff...
Gforce083
QUOTE(dodgerblue38501 @ Nov 19 2008, 12:03 AM)
Well said as always Richard. I have been to many shops on my travels and tried to take he good and bad that I have seen and incorporate that into my own shop. I have taken a normal retail business formula and applied it to an unconventional business model to create a successful small shop. My location is the only thing holding me back from really hitting on all cylinders. Without jinxing myself or revealing too much I will say that there are a couple of things in the works to bring my shop to Nashville!

I can't wait...lease a spot next to Cards-R-Fun and show them how you handle a shop and a customer...and then say bye bye to Cards-R-Fun
NGWH Sports Cards
QUOTE(pavi39 @ Nov 19 2008, 01:35 PM)
I have checked most of the shops between Manitowoc and Madison (120 mile trip).  The reason I go back to the same ones:

I enjoy the conversation I have with the owners of the businesses.

I will stop at three different shops during the month:
Baseball card shoppe has a great selection of packs.

Jim's Card Korner selection isn't great, but his prices generally are very nice.

Balls and Strikes - Great slection of football - not much basketball.

I trust the owner at all three and find myself engaging in conversation, whether it be sports cards, sports, or how the family is doing.
I have stopped going to two different spots along my trip:

One lacks selection (usually ony has two or three boxes open for packs and of the latest selection).

The other I stopped going when I saw the owner was selling hot packs.  I never fully trusted him in the first place.

Balls ans Strikes is pretty good. Gives me great deals.
ffman
I haven't been to a card shop in years - and that was just a glance. I didn't know there was a such thing as "hobby boxes" at the time. I didn't get anything.

The closest shop to me would be the one mvpujols#5 referenced.

bigpapi3434 - letting customers pack search isn't a good thing to do.

This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.