Help - Search - Member List - Calendar
Full Version: Expired Redemptions: Share Your Pain
Collector Zone > Collector Corner > Hobby Talk
TheCircusMonkey
Everything in the hobby can't be roses, so I thought I'd start a thread for those "almost" and "coulda-been" pulls, the ones you lost out on because of an expired redemption. A gambler's confessional, so to speak.

I've only had two so I'll share em both. The first was an 04/05 Hockey UD SP Legendary Signatures Bill Barber...not a big deal, he's still around and his cards are readily available.

The other one was an 04 Baseball Fleer National Pastime Warren Spahn Signature Swings Gold Version Auto # /188...and he passed away in 2003 so it was probably the last lot of autographed cards from him. That one is still a kick in the junk.

Anyone else?
gopackgo
I pulled an 04 Fleer Greats of the Game redemption for a sweet card of Carlton Fisk (I believe it was auto/jersey) and it was from a retail box to boot! But Fleer had just folded a few months before, and was no longer taking redemptions.
chopinalex
I had a Fleer greats of the game auto eddie murray redemption just after fleer went under and gave there expiration date on when you can last redeem them!!!!
Yogurtmania
I pulled a Roger Clemens/Nolan Ryan dual auto redemption out of 2004 Fleer greats of the Game (I think that was the product, could have been 2003).

Sold the redemption on ebay because fleer was folded by then and only got $35 and some change for it. The guy that won it later contacted me and said he got ahold of someone at Fleer and they were going to redeem it for him. Not sure if they ever did or not.

I also pulled a Dwayne Wade/Comic artist dual auto #ed /9 from 05/06 Topps 52 Style. Waited 14 months for it. When it finally arrived, NO D-WADE auto on the card. The comic artist was on it, but not Wade's. Sent it back to topps. 2 months later, they send me a 06/07 Topps trademark moves auto of D-wade instead #ed to like /199. Not even close to being worth the hassel and wait of the other card.
jaderock
I've shown these in the past, but here they are again...the sad part was I pulled them when they were redeemable and simply was TOO lazy to redeem them!

THe top two are Allen Iverson and Kobe Bryant!!!!!!!! I ended up selling one of the Kobe Redemption cards for $25 last year.
user posted image
stormfan7
I have two stories. Both of them happened when I was younger...somewhere in the 10-13 age range.

The first one was two different Brett Favre redemption cards. I think one was a Skybox Impact redemption and the other was like a Pro Line redemption (that you needed 10 of to redeem). I didn't know much about them...but I think I sold the Skybox Impact to a local card shop, because the owner was a big Favre fan. Nothing too big, I just remember not knowing what to do with them.

However...

This wasn't my pull, but it was one of my friends...

It was 96-97 or somewhere close in there, so we were about 12 years old or so. Anyways, remember the Skybox redemption cards for autographics? You had to collect all 10 of them and then you could get the complete autographics set.

We pulled a few of them...but mostly the same numbers like 1, 3, 7. One day we bought a few packs and he pulled the number 10. We weren't even close to getting all of them, so we didn't care too much...

Until we saw a Beckett a year later or so showing a couple people who got the set. Turns out that there were only ten of the number 10 redemption cards that were put into packs.

Too bad we didn't have Ebay back then...

I have never been able to confirm that or not...so if someone could, I would appreciate it!
josh3302
My dad had a Signature Rookies Martin Broduer Auto Rookie Card /200 Redemption Card. He redeemed it immediatly. Waited a year for it. Then Signature Rookies Shut Down and wouldn't honor the card. Card would be worth a fortune, because I think it would be the only Autograph Rookie Card for Broduer
jaderock
QUOTE(stormfan7 @ Nov 15 2008, 10:14 AM)
I have two stories. Both of them happened when I was younger...somewhere in the 10-13 age range.

The first one was two different Brett Favre redemption cards. I think one was a Skybox Impact redemption and the other was like a Pro Line redemption (that you needed 10 of to redeem). I didn't know much about them...but I think I sold the Skybox Impact to a local card shop, because the owner was a big Favre fan. Nothing too big, I just remember not knowing what to do with them.

However...

This wasn't my pull, but it was one of my friends...

It was 96-97 or somewhere close in there, so we were about 12 years old or so. Anyways, remember the Skybox redemption cards for autographics? You had to collect all 10 of them and then you could get the complete autographics set.

We pulled a few of them...but mostly the same numbers like 1, 3, 7. One day we bought a few packs and he pulled the number 10. We weren't even close to getting all of them, so we didn't care too much...

Until we saw a Beckett a year later or so showing a couple people who got the set. Turns out that there were only ten of the number 10 redemption cards that were put into packs.

Too bad we didn't have Ebay back then...

I have never been able to confirm that or not...so if someone could, I would appreciate it!

I still have 1/2 of a redemption from the Skybox Impact cards - You needed two cards to get it redeemed. There was a total of 5-6 different redemption cards in that Favre promotion.

---

As for the Autographics set, I believe it was 1998 (I don't know of the redemption program) but remember a Beckett member saying he got a complete set of the BLUE ink set which are hand # to 50. The guy said it was only 1 of 5 sets given away (#46-50).
fsabala
you should've redeemed those two redemptions!
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.