Help - Search - Member List - Calendar
Full Version: Need some help!!
Collector Zone > Collector Corner > Hobby Talk
NGWH Sports Cards
As you may know, I collect Derek Hagan and Ike Diogu, among other players. Well, Hagan got cut, and Diogu isnt on the court at all.

I was wondering, is it worth it to collect them still? unsure.gif unsure.gif unsure.gif
osufan2383
i would sell if you can get good money for either of them and maybe collect a small time veteran. I am personally doing joe horn and michael bush right now
NGWH Sports Cards
Thanks. I will not sell them because they might get hot, but might just collect them a little...
urbanmonk
For me I collect players I like no matter what they are doing right now. Well unless they pull off something boneheaded like O.J. or Vick or something, then I might change my mind wink.gif. But then I have different parameters as I collect former Oregon State University players in Football and Modano in hockey (as he has been my favorite player for a long time since I'm an old North Stars fan).
NGWH Sports Cards
Yeah, I mean Steven Jackson isnt doing too bad...

What about Mike Hass?
urbanmonk
QUOTE(NGWH Sports Cards @ Nov 7 2008, 08:49 AM)
Yeah, I mean Steven Jackson isnt doing too bad...

What about Mike Hass?

Hass is on the practice squad for the Bears. Yvenson Bernard has bounced around as a free agent a bit but has yet to make a Roster (he may not as he is small by NFL standards for a RB). But I still collect anything of theirs I don't have no matter.
NGWH Sports Cards
I see..,.Very cool.
sschind
Depends on why you collected them in the first place. If you collect them because you like them then why not keep doing it. If you collect them because you want to be able to sell them and make some money someday then yeah, you should probably move on to something else.
coltsfan23
If they were truly PC, you wouldn't sell them/trade them no matter what.

If they were bought to resell.. well, let's just say fees would probably cost more than what you'd get for most/all of your Hagans and Diogu. I also have no idea why you would buy them, but that's just me.

Obviously, it all depends on how much your personal collection matters to you. Thus, the word personal in that term. No one can give you the right advice, because we have no idea how much you like those players or why you are collecting them. Just go with what you prefer.

Also, Hagans and Diogu are ones that won't go down as they are already very very low. I highly doubt they will go up, but ya never know.
CardCraze
I am not moving mine not now, not ever. Hagan is PC, but he was also my first player collection. Sure I may not spend 100 dollars on a card again(long story), but I intend to keep collecting him. Hagan drops a lot of balls, but his side and speed make him a threat as a blocker, and as a wide reciever. I think he will get picked up again but, Miami was his best chance at a start.
NGWH Sports Cards
Thanks. I am not trading, just not collecting for now.
osufan2383
like i just started re-collecting johnnie lee higgins unfortunately i had to sell a bit of his because i had to pay a 200 dollar deductible on my car from the accident i had and thats what i got for my collection. If i didnt have that i would have kept it. But i plan on rebuilding when i get my check back in a month or two. and i am now collecting a legend in john stockton. I do try to stick to a small guy and maybe a legend. although if i collect a player if he got in trouble it depends on what he did like matt jones. I might restart collecting him again
NGWH Sports Cards
Check sig...Now, the Side PC.
19th Century Indiana Jones
If you are collecting because of 'potential', then that is the price to pay should something happen. Most high prices for young players come from the hype of potential and those prices are what they should be only when that player has achieved something, not before. Something tells me you are thinking time and money invested does not equal the return you are hoping for.

Maybe it's time to move onto a 'proven' player or an HOFer. You can always collect on a theme or your own rules. Just cherrypick the items that interest you the most.

Need an example? I started REALLY LATE in collecting Ichiro. There are HUNDREDS of Ichiro collectors out there. Most of the 1/1s have been scarfed up. This guy has now many 200+ hit seasons? However, instead of spending money on just cards, I'd get autographs on ONE individuallly different item - one ball, one bat, one card, one pair of batting gloves. Still looking for the batting gloves. smile.gif Really tiny collection, but the quality is there. See how different it can be? It's not just cards. Use your imagination.

The rookies today still have much to accomplish. It really is FUN watching them play and that is the way to collect them - it should be FUN.
osufan2383
in defense of ngwh he does have a biggio and brooks collection and those two guys are pretty proven players. Just not alot out of there of brooks for some reason.
QUOTE(osufan2383 @ Nov 9 2008, 10:45 AM)
in defense of ngwh he does have a biggio and brooks collection and those two guys are pretty proven players. Just not alot out of there of brooks for some reason.

If that's the case, why doesn't he concentrate Brooks? If not much stuff is out there, he should be able to come close to a supercollection.
osufan2383
i def agree with that one esp since his 1/1's dont go to high either
NGWH Sports Cards
Brooks has 601 cards....
coltsfan23
QUOTE(NGWH Sports Cards @ Nov 9 2008, 05:28 PM)
Brooks has 601 cards....

Which is nothing...

Also, his autos and cards are so cheap.
QUOTE(NGWH Sports Cards @ Nov 9 2008, 05:28 PM)
Brooks has 601 cards....

Just concentrate on his on-card AUs and 1/1 GUs.
NGWH Sports Cards
No, I am going for everything. Update on my thread coming soon.
Get the hard ones first.
NGWH Sports Cards
I am happy in found 4 in my Bucs pile...Ha.
osufan2383
i wouldnt go after everything. Concentrate on one area first for me with lee higgins i am going after his jerseys right now since they are fading in value and on my newer collection of Antonio Pittman I am focusing on used as well (finally decided on the number two collection). a s for my giants i am focusing on inexpensive autos
NGWH Sports Cards
Cool...I am ambitous..
coltsfan23
QUOTE(NGWH Sports Cards @ Nov 10 2008, 04:57 PM)
Cool...I am ambitous..

Which is obviously not working for you... thus the advice to narrow it down a bit.
NGWH Sports Cards
What ya mean?
coltsfan23
QUOTE(NGWH Sports Cards @ Nov 11 2008, 11:34 AM)
What ya mean?

I'm pretty sure that was insanely obvious and clear what I said, but I meant the fact that you are "ambitious," yet you are complaining about it.

Thus, complaining about it would generally show you the fact that being "ambitious" is useless. That's why others have told you to narrow it down a bit. Now it's your choice whether to listen to the advice given or not, but it's weird that you posted asking for advice and are instead just being more stubborn about continuing what you are doing, while complaining at the same exact time. Something about that basically makes your topic useless.
Iplayfootball_90
I had the same problem with Calico, after he got cut from the Titans, no one wanted his cards, which was fine with me. It gave me the opportunity to pick up a lot of nice Calico cards for cheap. I bought a very nice GU/Auto lot from a member on here for $25 DLVD and there were some nice pieces in there.

Do I feel like I lost money on them? Absolutely not. Calico was, at one time, my favorite player to watch on the field and so I'm happy to get some cards of him. Do I collect him anymore? Not really, only if I can find some nice stuff every now and again. His items are actually hard to come by because everyone instantly thinks that no one wants him since he's a bust.

Not often, but, if you can find a solid collector of a player, no matter if they're a free agent or a bench warmer, you can possibly sell them to such collectors. Heck, some collectors buy cards just because they like the way they look, they don't even care who the player is.

Not sure if my rambling helped the topic at hand, but, my advice is that if you liked the players because of who they were or how the played, then there is no reason to stop collecting them just because they got cut from the team they were on or because they never play. Who knows, maybe one of them will explode one year. I mean, I'm sure when Romo's rookie cards and autos came out everyone thought "This guy will be a no-name free agent, he probably won't even make it to the practice squad". Now look at his SP authentic autos, they sell for a grand a piece usually.

You just never know. wink.gif
NGWH Sports Cards
Thats true...I am not going to stop complety, just slow down alot.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.