Help - Search - Member List - Calendar
Full Version: "Not the worth the postage to trade for that card"
Collector Zone > Collector Corner > Hobby Talk
ffman
What do you think when you express interest in a card, and the member replies with something like: "It's not worth the postage to trade that card?"

I can understand if it's a simple base card, unless both members agree to ship in an envelope. But what about a $10-15 game-used or autograph card?

I told a member I was interested in one card he had (out of about eight Titans cards), and I asked if he saw anything to trade for it since I couldn't buy right now. His response - "Not worth the postage to trade for that card. Thanks for the interest".

What do you think? When is it "not worth the postage" to trade a card?
sebredsox24
anythings worth a pwe basically, i wouldnt trade bubble on a rc or something.
hodee5
My feeling is that when someone utters that phrase, it's no longer a hobby to them...... sad.gif
jaderock
I see that or similar quotes a lot. Everyone has a different prespective on the hobby.
aceecards
TO EACH HIS OWN CODY
sschind
I'd just shoot them a response saying "that's too bad" and forget about ever trading with them again.
Stlouisrams1600
I Never Talk Trades With That Person Again.
bigalexx
I think there was a topic about it, but If Im just trading a base for a base, or something like that, I don't want to go to the PO and send it out just for a base to base trade. Its more that it isn't even worth the time. Postage adds up, thats why I only trade for PC cards now.
ffman
Base for base is understandable for me if you feel it isn't worth postage. In that case, if it's only one card I would go with a PWE.

QUOTE(bigalexx @ Nov 4 2008, 05:15 PM)
I think there was a topic about it, but If Im just trading a base for a base, or something like that, I don't want to go to the PO and send it out just for a base to base trade. Its more that it isn't even worth the time. Postage adds up, thats why I only trade for PC cards now.

northicehero99
Cody, I honestly think it is the state of the economy and the price of postage. It is now $1.17 to mail a card out, while that is not a lot, it is a lot more than $0.70 that it used to be.

My trades have dropped off recently and I think I have some OK or wanted stuff in my tradelist. I think the drop off is due to this more than anything. Not sure, but when it comes down to it, it does get hard to trade for just one card when you realize it is costing you that much to mail it.
Hallsgator
I think it's dumb. Once J.P. starts having base cards and cheap inserts, I won't mind trading for them because I'd rather send in a PWE than spend $1 + $3 for S&H on eBay for a base card.
beanschat
holy cow! I can't believe how many PWE references I am seeing...a year and a half ago...people were ready to hang others for PWE!

BUT..PWE even are supposed to get additional postage now..like 78 cents or something to even mail those.

I have and do use the "not worth the postage". I don't particularly care for some of the comments above because I have a different view. First, I used to trade everything people "needed" for cards I kind of was interested because I was interested in helping others with their hobby...but there was a point where I said..."ya know...I kind of need to build my collection too!" Now, I have a bunch of cards that I kind of had an interest in that noone else seems to..

But, just because I say it's not worth the postage doesn't mean the deal is done. What I am "saying" when I say this is...let's build the deal some more. At that point if I hear "that's all I am interested in"...then no, the deal isn't worth it to me and it's time to move on. We couldn't make a deal. It's not personal, just that $2 insert isn't worth $1 postage plus the $2 card I am getting in return.

Sometimes I get the impression that people think somehow we are "Obligated" to trade with them because they "need" that card.

I remember a deal I made very early on..someone needed a prestige card I had and made me an offer of a $5 insert that i kind of wanted...wasn't too happy when I found the card I had was a SP with a $50 BV. My bad..i wasn't informed...I didn't even know Prestige had SPs until that year, but since then, I have been a little less generous and alot more cautious....

As far as a $10 GU card...It costs him/her $1.50 to ship plus a $10 GU..or buy it on ebay for $3...I think it comes down less to it's not worth the postage as to the trader isn't too excited about what they get back....

THis was a terribly pooly focused post on my part...sorry! I was all over the place...What about those Lakers?
urbanmonk
I think folks need to word it differently than that, that would help a little bit I think as saying "it's not worth the postage" is kind of like saying "trading with you is not worth my time". Maybe something along the lines of "I only do trades of X (whatever number) BV total" or something along those lines would help as it is just words and can be interpreted many ways. As we learned in a required meeting at work on Sexual Harassment, ones intent doesn't count, it is how it is taken that matters, so even if you didn't mean anything by something, if it is taken that way it can be against the law.

Myself I'm not concerened about the postage costs as picking up something I want on an auction costs me more in postage than what it costs to ship. That and if I was worried about postage costs I wouldn't have contests or give away cards wink.gif laugh.gif
19th Century Indiana Jones
QUOTE(urbanmonk @ Nov 5 2008, 06:47 AM)
I think folks need to word it differently than that, that would help a little bit I think as saying "it's not worth the postage" is kind of like saying "trading with you is not worth my time".  Maybe something along the lines of  "I only do trades of X (whatever number) BV total" or something along those lines would help as it is just words and can be interpreted many ways. 

Yes, people should be more tactful.
msuwendy
QUOTE(hodee5 @ Nov 5 2008, 04:27 AM)
My feeling is that when someone utters that phrase, it's no longer a hobby to them...... sad.gif

I agree.

Personally, I would never use a PWE to send a card....even if it's a base card worth 10 cents. To me, this is something that someone else wants for their collection and I only feel that as a trader/seller, it's my responsibility to ensure that the card arrives in the same condition it was sent in.

The card might only be worth 10 cents, but it might hold a special place in the other party's collection. After all, IMO, helping someone out in this hobby is always worth more than a couple of $$ in shipping.
gopackgo
QUOTE(msuwendy @ Nov 5 2008, 09:26 AM)
After all, IMO, helping someone out in this hobby is always worth more than a couple of $$ in shipping.

Ding ding ding...We have a winner! Couldn't agree more, I wish more collectors thought like you!
athopesend
I agree, any card that will help my PC out is worth it. I will trade for one card, base or whatever, as long as it will help my PC out. I always ship in bubble mailers as well, if its one card or more, unless someone specifies that they want the PWE. With all of the 08 stuff out now, I dont have the money to buy alot of boxes or packs to try to get the Raiders base, inserts, parallels ...etc, especially in the higher end products, so if I can get even just the base cards of them, then it is worth it to me to ship whatever to get them. I'd pay $2 anyday over $80 and up, knowing that I am getting the cards I want instead of trying to pull them by luck. So with that in mind .... where's all the Raiders at and send them my way ... biggrin.gif
northicehero99
QUOTE(athopesend @ Nov 5 2008, 11:10 AM)
So with that in mind .... where's all the Raiders at and send them my way ...  biggrin.gif

Ditto, except I want Steelers laugh.gif biggrin.gif
sasports
If you think any card is not worth the postage then there is a problem! As I have learned from the many great members here, if its not somthing you want to spend time trying to trade or sell because its BV isnt high enough for you, and someone wants it, put it in a PWE ship it! Whats a stamp cost now 42 cents? Any card is worth that!
ffman
I can understand that too. However, he made no reference to what I had for trade!

He could have said, "Sorry, I don't see anything I need in return for this card". However, he made the postage comment with no reference to what I had or didn't have.

As for PWEs: if both traders agree on using a PWE I have no problem with it (for base cards and insert or low-end rookie cards). In the case of my example with the GU, I would have preferred a bubble mailer.

QUOTE(beanschat @ Nov 4 2008, 10:03 PM)

I have and do use the "not worth the postage".  I don't particularly care for some of the comments above because I have a different view.  First, I used to trade everything people "needed" for cards I kind of was interested because I was interested in helping others with their hobby...but there was a point where I said..."ya know...I kind of need to build my collection too!"  Now, I have a bunch of cards that I kind of had an interest in that noone else seems to..

dd316
If you want something, anything's worth the postage.
beanschat
I agree, if it's something that I want and something he wants...I'll spend the postage. But unless you are sending in PWE with soft sleeve, no hard card protctor..postage is NOT 42 cents.
sschind
I don't think anyone is suggesting that you trade for cards you are not interested in just to help someone out. That's a noble gesture for people who choose to do it but if you don't I don't think any less of you. However, to just come out and flatly say that I don't have anything that would be worth your effort to send the card is IMO just rude. Like the OP said, he guy never even inquired about anything he had to offer. The guy probably didn't mean to sound rude but saying something like "sorry you don't have anything I am interested in" or even "Lets see if there is any way we can boost the value of the trade up so its worth it for both of us" would have been more acceptable. Like I said before. i doubt if i would ever consider trading with that guy again.
ffman
I don't feel like creating another RANT topic; therefore, I will ask here.

What do you think about a forum requiring delivery confirmation for ALL trades, no matter the size or "book value" of the transaction?
jaderock
QUOTE(ffman @ Nov 6 2008, 02:44 PM)
What do you think about a forum requiring delivery confirmation for ALL trades, no matter the size or "book value" of the transaction?

Personally I don't mind AND it would help this site close transactions that remain open because one or both members are too lazy to reply to. It also provides MORE assurance that an item was sent (for those people that like to "create" stories as to when an item was sent/will be sent).

The issue has been discussed in length both in the public and team forums I believe. Bob's stance is that it's not necessary and a personal choice.
ffman
The reason I asked:

FCB recently announced they would be requiring DC on all trades. I am firmly against it. I see no need for delivery confirmation on many trades, especially those with cards that only book a few bucks. It is also a constraint for some traders. What if both members agree to use PWE for a low-end trade? What about members who ship from their home, but lack PayPal and therefore cannot print off DC slips at home?

I was in talks for a small trade at FCB (giving up a $5 GU for a Sosa RC I don't have). I don't know if I will follow through with it now; the college post office seems restrictive on DC as it is. The teller was reluctant to let me use DC on a package a few weeks ago, even though the package was 3/4 inch thick (he made a comment about the overall size of the package not being large enough).

QUOTE(jaderock @ Nov 6 2008, 04:03 PM)
Personally I don't mind AND it would help this site close transactions that remain open because one or both members are too lazy to reply to. It also provides MORE assurance that an item was sent (for those people that like to "create" stories as to when an item was sent/will be sent).

The issue has been discussed in length both in the public and team forums I believe. Bob's stance is that it's not necessary and a personal choice.

jaderock
QUOTE(ffman @ Nov 6 2008, 03:11 PM)
The reason I asked:

FCB recently announced they would be requiring DC on all trades.  I am firmly against it.  I see no need for delivery confirmation on many trades, especially those with cards that only book a few bucks.  It is also a constraint for some traders.  What if both members agree to use PWE for a low-end trade?  What about members who ship from their home, but lack PayPal and therefore cannot print off DC slips at home?

I was in talks for a small trade at FCB (giving up a $5 GU for a Sosa RC I don't have).  I don't know if I will follow through with it now; the college post office seems restrictive on DC as it is.  The teller was reluctant to let me use DC on a package a few weeks ago, even though the package was 3/4 inch thick (he made a comment about the overall size of the package not being large enough).

I totally understand your stance. For me, every card is as important as the next regardless of BV (just ask me "what's your favorite card?"), so DC along with a bubble mailer is absolutely necessary.

As for the requirements for DC, there are guidelines that need to be met. I know many will say well that certain tellers don't care or "I don't do that, but they still take it", but it always good to do it right (another way to expidite (sp?) shipping).

There are always benefits and consequences to all decisions...each person just needs to factor if it's cost efficent for each transaction.

You could always suggest that the trade be done on TCC wink.gif
beanschat
sorry...I rarely use DC and I think it would increase the likelihood of people cutting back on trades. If they didn't think it was worth it before, it certainly wouldn't be worth it now. I think I have used DC less than 10 times, including on ebay, and have had only 2 bad experiences...one was to Canada and was the result of slow delivery there, the other...it's been resolved between us by a kind gesture of the other party 2 years later. I absolutely would NOT use a DC on anything less that $10-20 and only use it now on anything over $50.
ffman
That is roughly how I feel about using delivery confirmation.

QUOTE(beanschat @ Nov 6 2008, 04:44 PM)
sorry...I rarely use DC and I think it would increase the likelihood of people cutting back on trades.  If they didn't think it was worth it before, it certainly wouldn't be worth it now.  I think I have used DC less than 10 times, including on ebay, and have had only 2 bad experiences...one was to Canada and was the result of slow delivery there, the other...it's been resolved between us by a kind gesture of the other party 2 years later.  I absolutely would NOT use a DC on anything less that $10-20 and only use it now on anything over $50.

2000 rushing yards
I hate when people say that, either they are too lazy to run to the PO and using that as an excuse or don't take this as a hobby before. I haven done many trade where 5-10 base cards are involved but i don't tell them no. It's just stupid..
2000 rushing yards
QUOTE(ffman @ Nov 6 2008, 04:44 PM)
I don't feel like creating another RANT topic; therefore, I will ask here.

i disagree with that, why make people pay the extra $$?
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.