Help - Search - Member List - Calendar
Full Version: Why not to buy Topps!!!
Collector Zone > Collector Corner > Hobby Talk
northicehero99
Over a year ago I bought a box and some packs of Topps Co-signers football. I had in my possesion a redemption for a Craig Davis and Laron Landry dual auto, which I mailed in to Topps in February 2008. A few days back I finally received a 2006 Topps Finest refractor of Travis Wilson who is no longer an active roster player. So in my ticked off state I wrote Topps via the website:

Me:

"I sent in almost a year ago a redemption for 2007 Topps Co-Signers football CSA-DL for a dual autograph of Craig Davis and Laron Landry, I get in the mail the other day a 2006 Finest Refractor auto of Travis Wilson. What in the heck is the deal with that. I spent good money on those packs and I get something from a prior year and different product??? In addition the player is not even active in the NFL and did not play last year. This was one of the "hits" in my $100 box, and you send this replacement?? That really stinks who in their right mind would want this card and why would you offer it as a replacement? First off I was to receive a dual auto, not a single auto, and BV does not mean anything since the card was never issued there is no accurate bv because there is no market activity to determine the value. To me I want a dual auto that I was promised with the redemption card or at least two comparable autos. This is a lame way to handle replacements, and it is inexcusable. Do you realize that your competition at least offers players of the collectors choice as replacements? I am totally disappointed with your efforts in this matter, not only did I wait 10 months to find something out, then I get an auto for a guy not in the NFL, while the two players autos I was supposed to get are both starting on NFL rosters. Please contact me with replacement options, because this is not acceptable."

Topps reply:

"Thank you for taking the time to write with your question, and please accept our apologies for the delay.

Unfortunately we were unable to obtain the required autographs from the player to produce this redemption card. As it sates on the on the back of all our redemption cards ôSubstitutions of equal or greater value will be made if the insert is unavailable for any reason.

Our records indicate that this card was substituted with a randomly selected card of equal or greater value based on the Beckett card guide. In many instances we do not have any comparable cards from the same player or product available at the time. In this case we randomly select a card that the Beckett guide deems equal or greater in value.

We hope this information is helpful to you. As always, please do not hesitate to contact our Customer Service team (by phone: 1-800-489-9149, or by email: support@etopps.com) if you ever have any other questions, comments or suggestions. A customer service representative will be available to assist you between the hours of 8:30am-4:30pm (EST) Monday through Friday.

Thank you once again for taking the time to write. We appreciate your interest in etopps and hope you continue to enjoy our site.

Sincerely,

Customer Service team"

What crappy customer service. How is this fair? I know I am not alone as another member here had the same card and also got shafted. At least his replacement was of a player playing in the NFL. What is even more annoying is that I received Bowman Chrome autos of Craig Davis via exchange so they have his sticker autos!

Needless to say my next step is a phone call. furious.gif blowup.gif

So I guess this is my way of posting a warning for anyone buying Topps products. If you get a redemption, you might get shafted, and might be better off selling it on Ebay.

Thanks for letting me vent!
Lew47
They've gotten me more than once on their "equal" substitutions. They gave me the same cookie cutter response via phone, checked their "records" and sent me 3 free packs of Bowman.

Makes Upper Deck customer service look really good.....and that takes considerable effort.
msuwendy
That is simply awful. As it is, don't they realize that they're already playing 2nd fiddle to UD in basketball and DLP in football? With basketball, they always seem to have a knack of signing exclusives deals with players who will eventually end up in the hobby wasteland (Adam Morrison anybody?) They're unimaginative....every 'new' concept they come up with is basically a poorly reworked version of something another company came up with.

You'd think they would do their utmost to keep their customers satisfied and at least give collectors a reason to keep buying their products.

I hope they will make it right for you Brian....I really do!
urbanmonk
Wonder if they just use a random Beckett for their "equal or greater value", let alone like you said an unreleased card is kinda hard to get a BV on. Hate those "form letter" responses, though least it does sound like they read your email anyway as I have had some that send you an answer and it's obvious that they didn't read what you sent them (other customer service issues not with a card company).
snowblink
Unfortunately we were unable to obtain the required autographs from the player to produce this redemption card.

How does that happen? They contracted with the player to sign right?...so the guy just didn't do it?...looks like they should get a nice wad of cash in a settlement for breach...maybe they can just send you cash. wink.gif
degibson84
Shawn(sasports) will be very interested in this card
osufan2383
its pretty rough with topps. but if youc all them and tell them what you think they may be willing to work with you
northicehero99
QUOTE(snowblink @ Nov 10 2008, 03:41 PM)
How does that happen?  They contracted with the player to sign right?...so the guy just didn't do it?...looks like they should get a nice wad of cash in a settlement for breach...maybe they can just send you cash. wink.gif

I am all for that. laugh.gif
PJRoxx
Topps has the worst customer service when it comes to replacements. A few years back I picked up a redemption for what was supposed to be an 04 Roger Staubach Topps Signature Buyback autograph. After several months of waiting and incredibly rude customer service ("How am I supposed to send you something if he didn't sign?"), I got my "equal" replacement: autos of Larry Fitzgerald and Kevin Jones from the crappy 04 draft picks set. I called to complain and they said they would send me something to make up for it. I got one crappy 99 cent retail pack of 04 Topps Total.

My friend had a similar experience last year. He pulled a Topps TX redemption auto/ticket of Julius Peppers (who hasn't signed anything since his rookie year, so why Topps included him last year was beyond me). They replaced it with an 06 Bowman Leon Washington auto, because you know, that's pretty much the same thing, right?????

road_runner_1964
After getting the same treatment...I refuse to buy Topps product anymore....they are worse than UD and that is saying something. At least UD has made a sincere effort to turn thing around.
northicehero99
QUOTE(PJRoxx @ Nov 11 2008, 04:02 PM)
Topps has the worst customer service when it comes to replacements. A few years back I picked up a redemption for what was supposed to be an 04 Roger Staubach Topps Signature Buyback autograph. After several months of waiting and incredibly rude customer service ("How am I supposed to send you something if he didn't sign?"), I got my "equal" replacement: autos of Larry Fitzgerald and Kevin Jones from the crappy 04 draft picks set. I called to complain and they said they would send me something to make up for it. I got one crappy 99 cent retail pack of 04 Topps Total.

My friend had a similar experience last year. He pulled a Topps TX redemption auto/ticket of Julius Peppers (who hasn't signed anything since his rookie year, so why Topps included him last year was beyond me). They replaced it with an 06 Bowman Leon Washington auto, because you know, that's pretty much the same thing, right?????

Wow that first story is a lot worse than mine. Now I do not feel as bad, but we both still got taken advantage of.
19th Century Indiana Jones
"Equal or greater value"....

According to who??? And at what time frame?
chopinalex
yikes i have a chrome auto redemption of c hris johnson? does that mean im going to get chris davis?
kobelover_24
i hate topps on auto cards..
Nyfancam01
umm
TOPPS IS AMAZING!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

i had a crappy wilson chandler redemption auto from triple threads..

They never made it!!....

THEY SENT ME A FULL BOX OF 2007 TRIPLE THREADS BKB!
it was today!
=]
pulled a sick aaron brooks patch auto AND a brutal triple patch ball patch white whale 1/1 al horford RC!

=]

but dude, they got me too haha
i had a tony parker redemption auto!

they sent me a mardy collins auto................

=[ eww haha
but after today, i love topps! they hooked me up!
aceecards
i have an unresolved letter from 5 years ago

a jonathan ogden pristine auto relic #/25

replaced with a todd boumann auto from topps total.

Pack price disparity

$50 - $.99

you tell me what price guide they were using??

beanschat
topps is still in business??

I say that because except for a few packs of their main set...I don't buy squat from them.

I'm glad!
sportscollector4life
that is terrible customer
service
imacrackr
I just dont buy topps anyway their product is totally inferior to everything else out there. Even their Topps Sterling is weak compared to most
osufan2383
QUOTE(PJRoxx @ Nov 11 2008, 04:02 PM)

i actually wouldn't be upset with the Leon Washington auto since it commands a pretty decent price. but replacements should have options like upper deck used to do
osufan2383
you should have the johnson he already signed for topps chrome i pulled the auto chopin. I dont know why they had a redemption if you could get it out of the pack in certain packs. My favorite was i had a redemption for a
2006 Bowman Chrome or Topps Chrome D-Brick Auto now i am not a jets fan but that would move around here. The replacement they sent me was of Quentin Griffin bowman i called and complained they replaced my card with a Topps Chrome Omar Jacobs Auto (actually was happy with a chrome auto). They are the worst at customer service and i will call and complain
degibson84
QUOTE(chopinalex @ Nov 11 2008, 06:55 PM)
yikes i have a chrome auto redemption of c hris johnson? does that mean im going to get chris davis?

Chris Johnson has signed with topps at least in the Rookie Progressions
fsabala
i really don't collect topps. as a matter of fact, i think i only have two or three topps cards. i just dont like how they look..looks cheap compared to DLP and UD but Topps Lettermen FB looks pretty nice
chopinalex
QUOTE(fsabala @ Nov 12 2008, 11:34 PM)
i really don't collect topps. as a matter of fact, i think i only have two or three topps cards. i just dont like how they look..looks cheap compared to DLP and UD but Topps Lettermen FB looks pretty nice

I love topps...2nd place is donruss..i think UD cards look generic..i guess its all preferences..
northicehero99
QUOTE(degibson84 @ Nov 12 2008, 10:32 AM)
Chris Johnson has signed with topps at least in the Rookie Progressions

Yes, but similarly Craig Davis has redemption autos redeemed in Bowman Chrome, but not this in Co-signers. Based on that any redemption has the possibility of being replaced and another member on here was told it was Craig Davis' auto that was missing for the card, so how does that work, you have them for one product but not another?
osufan2383
trust me i just got ripped by Topps today again. I mean people hate Upper Deck, but Topps i think is worse then them. I mean i dont know how a Hassan Adams Auto compares to a Dominic McGuire (Auto Relic)
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.