Help - Search - Member List - Calendar
Full Version: Has anyone sold their whole collection or parts?
Collector Zone > Collector Corner > Hobby Talk
Hallsgator
If so, what kind of cards did you sell? Was it all high end stuff, or did you sell lots of low/mid end stuff? Did you sell on eBay? And how much did you get for it?

Thanks!

EDIT:
Yes, I changed my question
tex333
Yes, I sold most of my Negro League autos (125 +) in a lot and I've regretted it alot the past year or so. I'd easily give that $3000.00 and more to get them back. I wouldn't sell your stuff unless you have to or unless you really put alot of thought into it. Don't do it on a whim!

And to answer your other questions, most of them were high end for Negro League stuff. I think the most expensive item in there was a $400.00 Kansas City Monarks team signed baseball. I sold them to a private buyer through an auction house.
Hallsgator
I want to get of everything that is non-PC. I won't regret because I have no need for it, it just sits at takes up space, lol. Plus, I really want the extra cash right now. I was thinking of going on here and some other sites and do some grab bag type stuff, but I don't know how popular they would be.

Thanks!
tex333
QUOTE(Hallsgator @ Nov 2 2008, 05:59 PM)
I want to get of everything that is non-PC. I won't regret because I have no need for it, it just sits at takes up space, lol. Plus, I really want the extra cash right now. I was thinking of going on here and some other sites and do some grab bag type stuff, but I don't know how popular they would be.

Thanks!

That sounds like a good idea. I think you'd make a little more with a lot less hassle if you were to sell a few lots with the best stuff mixed in each.
Hallsgator
QUOTE(tex333 @ Nov 2 2008, 08:10 PM)
That sounds like a good idea. I think you'd make a little more with a lot less hassle if you were to sell a few lots with the best stuff mixed in each.

Yea, I was thinking since I mostly have prospect left that I could prospect grab bags/dutch auctions on sites/eBay.
sschind
I understand why you want to get rid of it but just let me say this. I know the extra cash is nice and you want it but if you don't need it here is something else you might want to consider. If you get rid of all but your PC stuff you will have no way of acquiring new PC stuff without buying it outright. What I mean is you won't be able to trade. Now if you are sitting on a bunch of stuff that has no real trade value, like me, it may not be a bad deal to get a little cash and free up the space, but if your non PC stuff has trade value that will help you acquire more stuff for your PC you may want to reconsider.

In the early 90's I had a few dozen monster boxes full of cards that were not part of my PC. I know what you are thinking junk era crap, right, but that's all anyone had at the time was junk era crap so it was all the same and people wanted it. It's not like now where no one wants that stuff because they think all the new stuff is so much better. Anyway, I was trading team lots on line quite regularly. I was still buying packs and boxes and I had regular team traders and I made several trades per month that netted me hundreds of Packers cards. Some I needed for my PC others went into the garage sale boxes. I finally wised up and realized that I was getting no satisfaction from spending my money on packs and boxes and I stopped buying them. I also realized that after a while of not buying new product I was running out of people to team trade with. I wasn't able to offer any new product in my team lots and understandably some of my team trader contacts stopped trading with me. Also, with my PC getting more and more complete I was getting less and less cards that I needed with each team trade and my garage sale boxes started to pile up. I finally decided to sell everything but the PC stuff to a local card dealer. I didn't get much but then again it wasn't worth much. I was happy with the deal. What it did however was put my collecting at a standstill. Suddenly, I had only one option to add cards to my PC. That was fine for the base set cards and cheap inserts but I wasn't getting any of the higher end cards because to me they weren't worth the 10-20-30 bucks that people were asking for them. At least when I was opening packs if I didn't pull any packers inserts I might get a decent card of another team and trade for something better.

I guess all I am saying is that your non PC stuff may have more value to you if it has value to someone else than the cash might have right now.
snowblink
QUOTE(Hallsgator @ Nov 2 2008, 04:13 PM)
If so, what kind of cards did you sell?

Around 250 Base and a few low end inserts of departed players from my Avalanche PC, and any leftover cards off my tradelist

Was it all high end stuff, or did you sell lots of low/mid end stuff?

I guess it would fall into the low-end category.

Did you sell on eBay?

No, sold locally.

And how much did you get for it?

More than I anticipated, around 10 a card.

Turned out to be real good for clearing space, as I could now put all of my inserts into my binders. Of course I no longer had anything to trade once October rolled around...
osufan2383
i have done it before when i needed the cash or something was valued more than i thought it should be. But there are some things i wont get rid of no matter what the cost and i made out pretty well
19th Century Indiana Jones
You should divide your stuff into two categories:

Keepers and Eh.

Start with ONE item that you would take with you if God forbid there was a fire. Then put that aside.

Then select NO MORE than 5 items that have the most sentiment to you. Then put those aside.

Then select NO MORE than 10 items that you would consider the cornerstone of your collection.

Fit the 15 items (not including the ONE abosolute) in a 6"x11"x5" metal lock box.

And there you have it - your absolute PC.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.