Help - Search - Member List - Calendar
Full Version: Ever wonder why you collect who you do?
Collector Zone > Collector Corner > Hobby Talk
ffman
Do you ever wonder or question why you collect the player(s) you do?

I am currently beginning to question why I collect David Wright. The collection began mainly because of two great pulls (05 Reflection Wright/Reyes autograph and 05 Fleer Authentix GU /10). Before then, I knew nothing of David Wright, but later began to keep track of him and his play. He is a great player (and a good humanitarian too). However, his cards are fairly expensive and hard to trade for - especially autographs. Currently I am contemplating whether or not I should actively continue to collect him. I have a good beginning collection of Wright (in my opinion anyway) - two autographs, one TTM autograph, one rookie, and several GU including one patch and two fold-out GU. But, I'm wondering if my collection efforts for Wright would be better used elsewhere.

Have you ever felt this way? Also, how do you feel about my current player collecting "problem"?
Stlouisrams1600
It Took Me A While Why I Like The Rams And Why I Collect Them.
I Was Born In Buffalo Then Lived Near Titans Stadium About Half An Hour.
Now I Live In PA About Hour And Half Away From Philly And 3 Hours From NYC And Pittsburgh.
But When I Started Watching Football IT Was The "Greatest Show On Turf" 1999!
Remember That?
Mike Jones Tackle To Win The Super Bowl!!
So Thats Pretty Much Why I Collect Rams
aceecards
Cody,

Think collecting Wright is tough???

try HOFers GU and Autos from all 4 sports.!!

Im to the point of no return.
ffman
500 HR Club GU is enough for me! It isn't as bad as I thought though - only two will be "tough nuggets".

QUOTE(aceecards @ Oct 25 2008, 10:05 AM)
Cody,

NGWH Sports Cards
I collect:

Craig Biggio-Great Player, Awesome person, and works with The SunShine Kids, supporting cancer patients, which is very important to me.

Ike Diogu-Went to ASU

Derek Hagan-Went to ASU

Johnathan Joseph-I needed to collect a Bengal

Dexter Jackson-Drafted by Bucs

YSL Master Set-Went to a game at Yankee Stadium, which I will never forget.
ffman
QUOTE(aceecards @ Oct 25 2008, 10:05 AM)
Cody,

I don't necessarily think it is "tough" - all collections have their tough spots. I can't decide if the efforts necessary to get his "tough" cards would be better spent elsewhere though.
bushidobard
QUOTE(ffman @ Oct 25 2008, 11:08 AM)
I don't necessarily think it is "tough" - all collections have their tough spots.  I can't decide if the efforts necessary to get his "tough" cards would be better spent elsewhere though.

Think of trading your best Wright card....

What can you see yourself trading it for enthusiastically?

That's what you should be collecting instead. Unless, of course, the answer is, "not much."
ffman
QUOTE(bushidobard @ Oct 25 2008, 10:12 AM)
Think of trading your best Wright card....

What can you see yourself trading it for enthusiastically?

That's what you should be collecting instead.  Unless, of course, the answer is, "not much."

The only way I would see myself trading my dual autograph, for example, would possibly be for/towards a Mickey Mantle or Babe Ruth GU.

But, on the other hand, I recently had a chance to trade my only Wright patch for a Jimmie Foxx GU. At the time, I needed that card for my 500 Club collection. I declined. wink.gif I don't really want to get rid of what I have of Wright - I'm wondering how "enthusiastically" I should continue to go after his cards.
bushidobard
QUOTE(ffman @ Oct 25 2008, 11:18 AM)
The only way I would see myself trading my dual autograph, for example, would possibly be for/towards a Mickey Mantle or Babe Ruth GU.

But, on the other hand, I recently had a chance to trade my only Wright patch for a Jimmie Foxx GU.  At the time, I needed that card for my 500 Club collection.  I declined.  wink.gif  I don't really want to get rid of what I have of Wright - I'm wondering how "enthusiastically" I should continue to go after his cards.

I see.

Well, as you know my collection - collections, rather - go in several different directions.

I only collect one player, Lawrence Taylor, that I can see myself chasing any and every card I can reasonably afford to get.

Many of my other ones, like my 30-30 guys, I'm happy to trade for a good card when I see one every now and then, but I'm not going to be supercollecting Jose Cruz Jr. Once I have a good auto and maybe a cool GU or patch, I'll be completely satisfied.

So maybe you'll collect David Wright, but not supercollect him. Clearly you at least want to hold onto what you have. I've never bought into the idea that 3 cards can't be a collection if it's part of a larger whole.
bigalexx
If you remember, I had a pretty decent collection of Marion Barber back in 2005 (When he didn't play, and his cards were cheap) Now his cards are pricey, so much that I can't really afford to keep building the collection, so over the past 1 1/2 years Ive started selling and trading my collection. Since then I've been putting some of the money into Ervin Santana. I haven't regretted my decision at all, even though Marion Barber is still my favorite player in the NFL. So, If I were you Id pick 1 or 2 favorites of yours, and keep those in your personal collection, and then maybe sell/trade the rest and get the Babe Ruth and Mickey Mantle Bat cards. Just think, would you rather have a few Wrights, or finish your personal set. Or you can even put the money into building a new player collection, or to build to your Sammy Sosa and Titans Collection.
sschind
I collect Green Bay Packers cards and though I do have my favorite players it really doesn't matter to me who I get. I'd be just as happy with a 100 commons that I need as 2 or 3 higher end cards of some of the stars. I'm not actively trading now because all anyone wants is high end so my 800 different Favre base on my trading list are dead. Even new people getting into the hobby for the first time are hung up on high end stuff.
vslyke
Eh, mine's kind of easy to explain. I grew up loving the Titans, so I collected them. Same for the Panthers, although on a much smaller scale. I have moved to mainly collecting Griffin and Finnegan, seeing as VY might be done, and CJ stuff exploded.
Hallsgator
Nope!
monsta
Mine is about the same as Wills. Just a huge Titans fan. When I first started in the hobby, I attempted to collect other favorite players from "other" teams. That quickly stopped after I found out what Player Super Collecting was.
marcus42
Kamerion Wimbley...

He's a athletic pash rushing linebacker, who keeps his nose clean and has a great attitude!

Also, he didn't go to the Rookie Premiere so I don't have to worry about getting photoshoot worn stuff!
metsfan2427
Brady Quinn: i always have liked some all through his college years.
Yamon Figurs: started with his spa au/patch. really was caused becuase of brady quinn. he had a quinn dual gu. i still was some what a fan of the ravens and i saw the spa and thought it was pretty cool and decide after that to start a collection.
Steve Smith: As you know i am fan a of the giants. but i was watching him one day and was just amazed of his speed and talent.
Todd Heap: has always been a favorite player of mine
vslyke
QUOTE(monsta @ Oct 25 2008, 03:46 PM)
Mine is about the same as Wills.  Just a huge Titans fan.  When I first started in the hobby, I attempted to collect other favorite players from "other" teams.  That quickly stopped after I found out what Player Super Collecting was.

Haha. I think at one point I was going to collect VY. Then I saw the prices for his autos. blink.gif That's all the discouragement I needed. Not really a problem for Griffin though. laugh.gif Finnegan as well, although there is nothing to collect.
tj2373
I felt that way when I first started collecting Derek Jeter. I knew that his cards were going to hold a high value, especially the auto/gu. But for being the first rookie to start at shortstop for the Yankees in years in 1996, I knew he was going to be something special. I made my choice to stick to base and inserts, same with my Don Mattingly collection. Back when I first started collecting, that's all it was base and insert cards. They are plentiful and well within my budget (although sometimes I think I go overboard). Will I own every card on Derek Jeter or Don Mattingly or on any of the other players I collect? Definately not. But that is the fun of collecting, you can pick and choose what you want to collect and how you go about it. For me it's all about the chase, chasing down those cards that I need to fill in the holes of my collection. And I usually change up every once in a while to keep it fun. I'll go one month or a few months I will chase down cards I need for my set needs, then concentrate on my Jeter, Mattingly, or other players I collect.

As for your collections, I would love to see you complete the 500 HR Club GU and continue on collecting Sosa and Wright, even if it is on a smaller scale.
ffman
QUOTE(tj2373 @ Oct 26 2008, 09:30 AM)
I felt that way when I first started collecting Derek Jeter.  I knew that his cards were going to hold a high value, especially the auto/gu.  But for being the first rookie to start at shortstop for the Yankees in years in 1996, I knew he was going to be something special.  I made my choice to stick to base and inserts, same with my Don Mattingly collection.  Back when I first started collecting, that's all it was base and insert cards.  They are plentiful and well within my budget (although sometimes I think I go overboard).  Will I own every card on Derek Jeter or Don Mattingly or on any of the other players I collect?  Definately not.  But that is the fun of collecting, you can pick and choose what you want to collect and how you go about it.  For me it's all about the chase, chasing down those cards that I need to fill in the holes of my collection.  And I usually change up every once in a while to keep it fun.  I'll go one month or a few months I will chase down cards I need for my set needs,  then concentrate on my Jeter, Mattingly, or other players I collect.

As for your collections, I would love to see you complete the 500 HR Club GU and continue on collecting Sosa and Wright, even if it is on a smaller scale.

Oh, the 500 HR Club collection will go on - only need three to complete it! I think Ott and Mantle are within trading/buying reach (not right now for Mantle, but when things level out for me financially). Ruth is the tough one. But, I'm thinking he might be a possible college graduation gift.

It's harder to do the insert route with Wright, although it's very possible with Sosa. Sosa's GU stuff isn't hard to get though, so I will probably continue to collect him the way that I currently do.
Kmart6nets
Player collecting doesn't have to be supercolleting Cody! Do what you can and stick to it - especially if you enjoy it. That's why my very modest AK-47 collection is almost strictly NFT unless it's for Kenyon Martin.

And my Kenyon Martin collection started when he was drafted. Obviously I'm a huge Nets fan and I absolutely love the way he played. Such intensity and passion. I love it.
19th Century Indiana Jones
Ted Ginn Jr: I'm pretty much done. I figured why not the speediest guy in that draft? He might suck, but at least he's exciting to watch.

Colt Brennan: I think he'll be awesome once he gets a chance to play. And STOP LAUGHING! mad.gif
ffman
Oh, I know that. I have never intended to super-collect Sosa or Wright.

QUOTE(Kmart6nets @ Oct 26 2008, 11:03 AM)
Player collecting doesn't have to be supercolleting Cody! Do what you can and stick to it - especially if you enjoy it. That's why my very modest AK-47 collection is almost strictly NFT unless it's for Kenyon Martin.

And my Kenyon Martin collection started when he was drafted. Obviously I'm a huge Nets fan and I absolutely love the way he played. Such intensity and passion. I love it.

gopackgo
I agree with most of the stuff that has been said. If you can just keep trying to get Wright base/inserts...shouldn't put too much strain on you trading away stuff that you don't want, or burn a hole in your wallet. And if you don't feel the same passion you can decide to move on or just slow it down and see if it comes back.
jaderock
QUOTE(ffman @ Oct 25 2008, 08:58 AM)
Do you ever wonder or question why you collect the player(s) you do?
Have you ever felt this way?  Also, how do you feel about my current player collecting "problem"?

I've never questioned myself in regards to why I collect who I collect...it did come up once in 2004, but was dismissed quickly.
---
Your current player problem occurs to alot of people all the time...you start off a collection of a decent prospect/good young player who then becomes a superstar. The demand and prices of his stuff skyrocket which makes the chase extremely tough and the fustration kicks in.

On the other hand, a player can get cold (injured, gets older, demoted) and then the person's interest could wane because there's no chance of the guy recoverying to be a good player.
---
I like your choice of 500 HR GU club as that's easier to attain with some patience. smile.gif
jaderock
QUOTE(19th Century Indiana Jones @ Oct 26 2008, 10:07 AM)
Colt Brennan: I think he'll be awesome once he gets a chance to play. And STOP LAUGHING!  mad.gif [/font]

No laughing there at all...just curious how competitive it is though with Hawaiian collectors. Similarly, Timmy Chang and Brennan would have been a "possible" choice except they both came out of Hawaii, so I passed.
I never thought of player collecting as a problem other than it is something that has a personal answer for every individual. Sure, I wanted to be a supercollector of Ted Ginn Jr since I might have had a jump on many of his things, but it was just too much, so I just focused on two important facets on collecting his stuff. I've been over this, but if you look at it (my Ginn collection), it's pretty obvious what those two facets are - except for one or two pieces out of the 50 I have.

See? Not every collector is insane as Peter*cough*. kid.gif
QUOTE(jaderock @ Oct 26 2008, 04:57 PM)
No laughing there at all...just curious how competitive it is though with Hawaiian collectors. Similarly, Timmy Chang and Brennan would have been a "possible" choice except they both came out of Hawaii, so I passed.

I only know of one Hawaiian and she works at the pool hall where I play league on Wednesday nights.
Iplayfootball_90
At first it was Tyrone Calico. Reason being, he was a nice guy and played for the local pro team and wasn't half bad until his knee injury. Stopped collecting him because his stuff is so hard to come by (some how) and he has no new cards coming out.

Currently ( and always will) Brady Quinn. Been a Quinn fan since his Freshman year at Notre Dame and he's the only player I've followed through out their entire career. Plus, me being a Notre Dame fan didn't hurt my interest in collecting him either. Now, I'm not planning on "super collecting" Quinn (far to expensive). However, I really hope to get a nice collection put together of him. If his stuff ever drops like crazy, then I may consider a super collection, but right now, just a few nice pieces here and there and anything in between.
channingcrowder22
DeAngelo Hall - Favorite CB...very possible future HOF...

Channing Crowder - Favorite player in the NFL on my favorite team the Miami Dolphins

2007 score gold zone - prolly my fav set...looks cool....#'d, and very cheap...hard to find tho
krayzie83
I've never questioned the players, sets or cards I collect, just the intensity ($) in which I collect them.. With the amount of cards produced it becomes overwhelming and way to expensive to chase everything. Other then my Fred Taylor PC I've come to the realization that I rather have a few cards that I really enjoy of whomever as opposed to hundreds of the same player. It really boils down to you, your financial situation and your interests. Personally I rather spend my funds all over as opposed to on just one player.
stormfan7
My two player collections: Acie Law and Felix Pie

I was always an Aggie football fan and somewhat of an Aggie basketball fan. Law changed that for me in a hurry and he was one of my favorite players. (Side note: my other college player was Adam Morrison...good thing I didn't take a chance). Law is relatively inexpensive to collect and buy nice singles of. I am not really a Super Collector of him or Pie as I try to get mostly auto's and some g/u.

Pie is/was the most hyped prospect for the Cubs of all-time (even more than Corey Patterson). Unfortunately, he has not lived up to the billing, and I have actually stopped collecting him at the time being (90% sure he will be traded this off-season.

I might end up starting to collect Randy Wells. He is a minor league pitcher for the Cubs (was selected by the Blue Jays in the rule 5 draft last year). I am friends with him and think it would be cool to start a collection and even give it to him when his career is over. Hopefully, he will be in the majors next year as he had a solid September after his call-up.

I also collect HOF Cubs and few current players. IMO, baseball is hard to collect your favorite team with all of the free agents and trades. (example, it is hard to me to trade for a Soriano in a Yankees uniform or a Ramirez in a Pirates).

Most of my focus lately has been collecting current/HOF STEELERS. It is tough to buy singles since prices are so jacked up, but I have found lately it has been a little easier to trade for them (and group breaks help!)

I do have a Super Collection of one player....but I still am not done getting a complete list or scans...whenever I finish that, it will be on here smile.gif
osufan2383
i was born a ny giants fan and it was just natural to collect them. I would not give up on you're wright collection, the autos may be hard but most of his used stuff is going down in price. Also he lives by me
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.