Help - Search - Member List - Calendar
Full Version: Game Used Cards
Collector Zone > Collector Corner > Hobby Talk
milomg
If the small uniform piece in a GU'd card has been worn in a game, then why doesn't have any Grass Stains or Infield Dirt?

Ponder This.

mlo
beanschat
i have a couple that do have some stains on it...but mostly because the uniforms are cleaned after the game prior to selling them to the manufacturers...

In addition, this year I have felt that Donruss has put more of the premium pieces (read patch) into its sets. I would say the next level are the pieces that you refer to...but for years a certain part of the market has frowned on getting those pieces. I myself, I would love to see grass stained pieces as long as the cards tell me when they were used...a clean piece of GU jersey from "when Ladanian Tomlinson was held out of the game due to a lingering injury" would not be worth as much as "when Ladanian Tomlinson scored three touchdowns leading the Chargers past the Colts, 28-27, including a 75 yard romp". (I've been spouting this for years)
Jayvegas
QUOTE(beanschat @ Oct 8 2008, 09:17 AM)
i have a couple that do have some stains on it...but mostly because the uniforms are cleaned after the game prior to selling them to the manufacturers...

In addition, this year I have felt that Donruss has put more of the premium pieces (read patch) into its sets.  I would say the next level are the pieces that you refer to...but for years a certain part of the market has frowned on getting those pieces.  I myself, I would love to see grass stained pieces as long as the cards tell me when they were used...a clean piece of GU jersey from "when Ladanian Tomlinson was held out of the game due to a lingering injury" would not be worth as much as "when Ladanian Tomlinson scored three touchdowns leading the Chargers past the Colts, 28-27, including a 75 yard romp". (I've been spouting this for years)

Game used cards that can be authenticated as being used on a particular date would be a much better system for card companies to adhere to.
This is why I like to collect Game Used cards from all-star games or weekends.
It may be a warm up item but, at least I know when & where the player wore it.
MVPujols
I just traded for an Aaron Rodgers jumbo patch from Absolute and it is most certainly grass stained. I was surprised as he only played in a couple games last year. There are also concerns about sweat, would you really want a Patrick Ewing game used card of a jersey that wasn't pre-washed laugh.gif
nerk01
QUOTE(Jayvegas @ Oct 10 2008, 10:43 AM)
Game used cards that can be authenticated as being used on a particular date would be a much better system for card companies to adhere to.
This is why I like to collect Game Used cards from all-star games or weekends.
It may be a warm up item but, at least I know when & where the player wore it.

Most of the time the card companies are not buying directly from the player or team, so it's near impossible to identify an exact date.

Not only that but uniforms/jersey/equipment is used on multiple events.

At least in baseball the all-star stuff is usually in a set by itself.
NorCal Sports
I've seen more Ripping or Wear and Tear on the jersey than stains. I once had a Joe Montana Absolute that had a shoe lace that was straight dirty, and the jersey was 49er red, but you could see that it was "muddy" and cleaned. Shoulda kept that one....
miguelcabrera
i dont like GU cards at all actually

i like

autos

patches

numbered parrallels

base

GU cards r crappy, they give u a little sliver of a jersey id rather just have base card
Iplayfootball_90
Patches are technically GU cards too....
Gforce083
QUOTE(Iplayfootball_90 @ Oct 12 2008, 03:53 PM)
Patches are technically GU cards too....

Which are still "just a sliver of a jersey" wink.gif ...miguelcabrera your comment doesn't make much sense, but to each their own I guess. I'd take gu/patch cards over base, inserts, and #'d cards any day!
miguelcabrera
patches look sicker though
miguelcabrera
GU cards just suck IMHO IN MY OPINION, the thing is oatches r colorful and sometimes can b cool like the head of the marlin or part of the logo the GU is just a color sometimes 2 or maybe a pinstripe nothing special
sschind
I think an auto is a useless card so we all can have our opinions can't we.
metsfan2427
i have one with a little dirt on it
AndyG50
QUOTE(milomg @ Oct 9 2008, 12:00 AM)
If the small uniform piece in  a GU'd card has been worn in a game, then why doesn't have any Grass Stains or Infield Dirt?

Ponder This.

mlo

Because the players play on a court in a stadium tongue.gif

jetsrule12
QUOTE(milomg @ Oct 8 2008, 08:00 AM)
If the small uniform piece in  a GU'd card has been worn in a game, then why doesn't have any Grass Stains or Infield Dirt?

Ponder This.

mlo

they were benched hehehe
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.