Help - Search - Member List - Calendar
Full Version: Let's see your favorite card - based on DESIGN!
Collector Zone > Collector Corner > Hobby Talk
ffman
I know we have several topics asking for you to post your favorite card. Many times, a person's favorite card is based on rarity, value, or the fact of it being autograph/game-used.

This time, however, I want to see your favorite card based on DESIGN. It can be autographed/game-used/whatever, as long as the design is a major factor in its appeal to you.

Here are a couple of my favorites from my Sosa personal collection:

user posted imageuser posted image

user posted image
(picture here)

user posted image
user posted image
user posted image
user posted image
user posted image
Gforce083
I've always loved the 1995 Pinnacle Baseball Red Hot and White Hot insert set! Oh, how I miss the days of creative insert set design and I remember how fun it was to chase these white hot cards and they sold for more than star player game used!!

user posted image
user posted image
marcus42
I'm a sucker for, Simplicity...

that being said:

user posted image

elegant and simple...
Johnny Number 5
2007 Bowman Chrome - Blue Refractors....I LOVE THEM>>>

user posted image
gosox55
For Modern cards this set is tops in my book.

user posted image
19th Century Indiana Jones
I LOVE the logo in the background!!!

user posted image

user posted image

user posted image
Tick-Tock-Man
love the classic design of bowman 92.

user posted image
QUOTE(Tick-Tock-Man @ Oct 8 2008, 11:50 AM)
love the classic design of bowman 92.

user posted image

I can't believe I had a shot at buying the entire full set back in 1992 for $35 and I didn't pull the trigger.
QUOTE(Gforce083 @ Oct 8 2008, 12:11 AM)
I've always loved the 1995 Pinnacle Baseball Red Hot and White Hot insert set! Oh, how I miss the days of creative insert set design and I remember how fun it was to chase these white hot cards .....

Yeah, I miss those days. Has anyone seen this for sale anywhere?

user posted image
Tick-Tock-Man
35 for a full set.... those where the days.

QUOTE(19th Century Indiana Jones @ Oct 8 2008, 10:52 AM)
I can't believe I had a shot at buying the entire full set back in 1992 for $35 and I didn't pull the trigger.

dd316
QUOTE(19th Century Indiana Jones @ Oct 8 2008, 11:52 AM)

I remember seeing a guy at a show plunk down $300 for that set like it was nothing way back when.

Here's the whole transaction:

Buyer - "How much for the Bowman set?"
Seller - "$300"
Buyer - *whips out wallet, lays down three $100 bills

Never seen someone part with that kind of money so effortlessly! ohmy.gif
Gforce083
For modern day stuff, I'd have to go with 2005 Ultimate Collection...
user posted image
user posted image
user posted image
user posted image
Luke2411
This is a great thread, Cody.

After doing some serious scouring of my collection and photobucket, here are some of my favorites, and why I like them.

user posted image

I know this has been cliched to death, but I have always and will continue to like this set. When I first saw these, I loved them. I like the base line design on the side, the photography was something we really hadn't seen before 1989, the glossy finish, and the backs were even cool too. UD did a great job with their first set.

user posted image

This is actually a reproduction of the first game-used set issued by UD. The originals sold for a ton of money when they first came out. I like this design, it's simple and makes clear to the first time game-used card holder, exactly what they are holding in their hands.

user posted image
user posted image
user posted image
user posted image

Of course I had to show some 2005 Diamond Kings! This may be my favorite game-used/auto subset of all time. I think the frames add something very nice to the cards, and there are different colors (red/green/blue). The design is rather simple, but it incorporates the portraits of the players, has the game-used pieces on the side and then has a nice space for the auto at the bottom.

user posted image

06 Bowman Chrome was a very pretty set. I loved trying to put together the rainbow set for my Brandon Wood collection. The on-card autos look sharp on here. It's a basic design, but it's good to keep it that way so the design and the different refractor surfaces don't get all garbled up.

user posted image

The Tools of the Trade Patch set has been one of my favorites in both baseball and football. They've stuck to pretty much the same design in every set, but the jumbo patches and even regular patches are in my mind, the nicest patch cards you can get. Not to mention those jumbo Babe Ruth jerseys from 2005 Update are some of the most sought after game-used cards in the industry.

ffman
In recognition of Jeremy's reproduction of a 97 Upper Deck GU:

2008 UD 1998 Jersey reprint
user posted image

I think the actual 98 card is much nicer with a larger jersey piece.
Eliptic
This one was easy for me, my favorite design from the modern era. Simple, classy, elegant. Just a great overall desgin. I LOVE the framed parallels biggrin.gif :

user posted image

user posted image

user posted image

user posted image

bigalexx
This is a pretty sexy design.
user posted image
So is this
user posted image
Not a big fan of Buybacks but this one is pretty sweet looking
user posted image
coltsfan23
Although they are sticker autos, I absolutely love this set.

user posted image

user posted image

bigalexx
The Design of the 05 Reflections Dual autos are soo ugly
ffman
I like them too. Although, that might be more a result of the great pairings over the design.

Edit: I don't care for the look of the plain "yellow/gold" base autographs from Reflections though.

QUOTE(coltsfan23 @ Oct 8 2008, 05:14 PM)
Although they are sticker autos, I absolutely love this set.

user posted image

user posted image

RGBII
Base card
203 Donruss Timeless Treasures

user posted image

GU'd, Auto or both
2005 Playoff Prime Cuts

user posted image
user posted image

When are they going to get their (DLP) license back?

Collect Hard!,
RGBII
aceecards
Call me old school.

I still like the 1972 Topps baseball set especially the In action cards!

user posted image

user posted image

user posted image
ffman
That Clemente is classic.
ffman
I enjoy any refractors, but my favorites come from the 2006 Finest baseball product.

user posted image
user posted image
degibson84
QUOTE(19th Century Indiana Jones @ Oct 8 2008, 11:24 AM)
I LOVE the logo in the background!!!

user posted image

user posted image

user posted image

those are some nice cards there
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.