Help - Search - Member List - Calendar
Full Version: Will the economy affect our hobby?
Collector Zone > Collector Corner > Hobby Talk
stormfan7
I don't know if there is a topic on this or not...but I thought I should try to start one. With the bail-out plan and stocks plunging, is the economy going to affect collecting at all?

What does everyone think?
marcus42
I think to an extent it already is...it seems like sales on eBay aren't quite what they normally are (comparing Rookies to each respective class).
coltsfan23
It has been for a little while now and it will obviously continue.
dodgerblue38501
QUOTE(coltsfan23 @ Oct 6 2008, 05:28 PM)
It has been for a little while now and it will obviously continue.

I agree 100%. This has been a very slow year for me at my shop. Sales are down by a considerable amount. Many jobs are gone from this area. Out of my top 10 customers from 2006, only 2 or 3 have jobs now and ever buy anything from me anymore.
bigalexx
It already is affecting the card market.
19th Century Indiana Jones
This recession is proof that collecting is more of a luxury than an investment.
stormfan7
so...that brings up the question...just like stocks...do you buy now and sell later? Or are there more important things to worry about?
marcus42
QUOTE(stormfan7 @ Oct 7 2008, 12:29 AM)
so...that brings up the question...just like stocks...do you buy now and sell later? Or are there more important things to worry about?

obviously, there are more important things than cardboard...but there is a time for buying while prices are good..I was looking at peyton manning prices and you can get some nice auto's of his for decent prices right now!

I have a little extra income right now (not a lot!) but I want to get a couple things while I can, so I'd say if you can get some nice stuff now it's not a bad idea if you are able to invest in it.q
Deltapine
Honestly the slowdown is what sent me here. I'm looking for a lot more trades now. A year ago I had planned to just hold evertything and keep buying.

As for it being the time to buy, I'm not an investing collector perse, but there are deals for me too.
MVPujols
I don't know what you guys are seeing but most of the cards I want to go after on ebay are going for rediculous prices still. But also, I don't rule out schill bidding cause' I simply do not trust ebay at all anymore.
MVPujols
And another semi-rant on ebay. What is with all of these moronic BIN's? What purpose does it serve the seller other than they will lose the auction fee? No, sorry but I'm not paying $25 for a single GU #'d /1000. Thanks for the offer though rolleyes.gif
stormfan7
QUOTE(marcus42 @ Oct 6 2008, 11:34 PM)
I want to get a couple things while I can, so I'd say if you can get some nice stuff now it's not a bad idea if you are able to invest in it.q

That is kind of my feelings too...I want to make some nice pick-ups right now that I can have for the future.
metsfan2427
QUOTE(bigalexx @ Oct 6 2008, 09:32 PM)
It already is affecting the card market.

i agree with bigalexx
the market has been like this for the last 1 year or so. i think the big reason is becuase not of the stocks but becuase of the cost of living expenses with those that have been going up. People have left cash for cards and other stuff.
dodgerblue38501
If you can afford it, now is a great time to buy some nice stuff to sell later. No matter what happens to our economy there will always be some folks that have the cash and are willing to spend it.
broscards
QUOTE(MVPujols @ Oct 7 2008, 09:04 AM)
And another semi-rant on ebay. What is with all of these moronic BIN's? What purpose does it serve the seller other than they will lose the auction fee? No, sorry but I'm not paying $25 for a single GU #'d /1000. Thanks for the offer though  rolleyes.gif

In the case of "shannonslap" they buy alot of nice meachems then list them for rediculously high prices in their store. I suppose their thinking is "Hold em till he's hot, but if someone wants to pay that - why not".

Now that meachem is playing some, they have begun listing their meachems auction style, ive noticed they are making some nice coin too.

Interesting way to do things..

The economy sucks though, and I graduate in December - finding a job will not be fun sad.gif
miguelcabrera
i am going to college next year..... school r way to hard to get into and too expensive c
coltsfan23
QUOTE(metsfan2427 @ Oct 7 2008, 11:46 AM)
i agree with bigalexx
the market has been like this for the last 1 year or so. i think the big reason is becuase not of the stocks but becuase of the cost of living expenses with those that have been going up. People have left cash for cards and other stuff.

Actually, living expenses are decreasing, so I don't know what you are talking about. Specifically the real estate industry and house prices are going way down.
beanschat
I have already resolved that my disposable income has been hit very hard....I am cutting back on payments that I had typically been paying ahead.

I agree, now is a great time to buy, but you have to be careful...unopened product might be the way to go...next years packs i anticipate going up by 20%, so people might be willing to fall back on 2007 and 2008 products awhile longer.
I also saw alot more patch stuff from Donruss which tells me they are trying to add value without adding cost, but may also tell me they have dipped into their "premium stock".

marcus42
QUOTE(MVPujols @ Oct 7 2008, 10:04 AM)
And another semi-rant on ebay. What is with all of these moronic BIN's? What purpose does it serve the seller other than they will lose the auction fee? No, sorry but I'm not paying $25 for a single GU #'d /1000. Thanks for the offer though  rolleyes.gif

for things like that, yes.

But I started listing some of my highly sought after RC's for high BIN/BO so when a player breaks out i still have it, rather than selling it now while he struggles or is holding a clipboard smile.gif
autocut
QUOTE(stormfan7 @ Oct 6 2008, 05:20 PM)
I don't know if there is a topic on this or not...but I thought I should try to start one. With the bail-out plan and stocks plunging, is the economy going to affect collecting at all?
What does everyone think?

Best time to buy.
coltsfan23
QUOTE(autocut @ Oct 7 2008, 11:01 PM)
Best time to buy.

The same exact people who said that now also said that two weeks ago. Now see how much the stock market and the econ overall is down, from 2 weeks ago.
autocut
QUOTE(coltsfan23 @ Oct 7 2008, 11:04 PM)
The same exact people who said that now also said that two weeks ago. Now see how much the stock market and the econ overall is down, from 2 weeks ago.

Referring to cards, not stock. I'm one of the rare few who is still in the black when it comes to stock.
gigs53
It already has taken a toll here. There was a very small card shop in my neck of the woods and I was there about three weeks ago. I left town for a week and then I went back to the store upon my return, and there was NOTHING THERE - GONE!

sschind
QUOTE(coltsfan23 @ Oct 7 2008, 08:27 PM)
Actually, living expenses are decreasing, so I don't know what you are talking about. Specifically the real estate industry and house prices are going way down.

I'm not sure where you live, but where I live everything is going up. House prices are generally not what people are referring to when they talk about cost of living. Granted gas prices have dropped, and dropped rather significantly, over the past month or so but the cost of groceries is still high. Heating oil is still high, natural gas is still high. The cost of these things went up when gas prices went through the roof and now that gas prices are coming down a bit the price of the other stuff stays the same. I've had price increases from every one of my vendors in the last year, some had two or three. All blamed the high price of gas for transportation and the high cost of petroleum for manufacturing. Now that those costs are going down will I see price decreases. No way, and the only way I can survive is to pass those increases on to my customers.

Its the things you have to buy every day to keep on living that the cost of living refers to, not the house to live in itself.
coltsfan23
QUOTE(sschind @ Oct 9 2008, 02:45 PM)
I'm not sure where you live, but where I live everything is going up.  House prices are generally not what people are referring to when they talk about cost of living.  Granted gas prices have dropped, and dropped rather significantly, over the past month or so but the cost of groceries is still high.  Heating oil is still high, natural gas is still high.  The cost of these things went up when gas prices went through the roof and now that gas prices are coming down a bit the price of the other stuff stays the same.  I've had price increases from every one of my vendors in the last year, some had two or three.  All blamed the high price of gas for transportation and the high cost of petroleum for manufacturing.  Now that those costs are going down will I see price decreases.  No way, and the only way I can survive is to pass those increases on to my customers.

Its the things you have to buy every day to keep on living that the cost of living refers to, not the house to live in itself.

I always thought that cost of living also included the house itself, as most people do need one to theoretically live. I haven't gone to grocery stores in ages, as I'm not a parent that's responsible for that stuff, but I assumed that they were stagnant. I was mainly referring the increases in oil generally, as well as the housing industry.
ffman
QUOTE(coltsfan23 @ Oct 7 2008, 07:27 PM)

So other prices are going down too? huh.gif

Never mind - saw you addressed that in another post. We have to have things beyond housing to live too. The price of housing might be down but that doesn't mean other things are (groceries, electric/water/cable/etc). Groceries will never remain "stagnant" when gas prices affect shipping.
osufan2383
it definitely depends on the area you are in and you're age range. I mean it has not stopped me from buying. But i also am a college student living at home with the rents and i work. I still buy but i cut my buying down to instead of 100 dollars a pay day 50 bucks a check. I think ur gonna see alot of the high end stuff not doing so hot.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.